Raiders Asking Price For Carr a 3rd?

32EBoozer

I didn’t see this posted, but there are 6 threads going right now. Fowler saying that only Saints involved. Can the Jets afford not to be involved, or are they so certain Rodgers is coming to town?

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1623132762000564224?s=20&t=tNFPy_DfLxbdbkVdVoGgQQ

fWAc4HDK_x96.jpg

Themes emerged from talks w/ teams on Derek Carr: -Inquiring teams want to rework deal, which they believe Carr probably won't do -Raiders' asking price modest. One NFL source said 3rd rd pick could get it done -N.O. believed to be only team engaged to extent of visit as of now
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s an odd situation for sure. So many moving parts but it Carr can wait the extra month until Free Agency, he can really cash in and go anywhere. 

I don’t know if he will get the contract size, that he currently has over the next couple of years but he’ll get close are on AAV

Been saying all this time a 3rd is the comp. Carr likely doesnt care if his future team trades a 3rd. And it’s not a lot to give up for him to ensure you get him.

Contract wise, Carr’s agent knows what he is worth. Teams will pay up knowing someone else will. He’s already shopping around.

Imagine wanting Carr and missing out because of a 3rd round pick?

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I don’t know if he will get the contract size, that he currently has over the next couple of years but he’ll get close are on AAV

Being the top FA QB has to count for something in this league. FA always leads to stupid deals but I agree that it’s a gamble at the very least. 

2 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

So are you saying if the jets offered a 3rd, Carr would waive his no trade clause and would come play in New York on his current deal? 

…because all of those things are not true.

Trade would need to come with an extension and new guaranteed money. Carr wouldn’t leave money on the table to agree to a trade. So it just begs the question why not just go to FA and then field offers? Maybe someone can tell me how it benefits Carr to waive his NT clause because I don’t see it. The only rationale I can think of is of the raiders have at least created a credible threat they might not cut him to control his rights and dare him to sit out if he doesn’t waive.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don’t see how it benefits Carr a bit to waive trade clause. Even a trade will come with an extension by his new team. Why not just get cut and then incite a bidding war?

There are some that feel the Raiders a foolish enough to actually keep him and then trade him.  All because they are now reportedly seeking the risk worthy 3rd rounder.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, hawk said:

There are some that feel the Raiders a foolish enough to actually keep him and then trade him.  All because they are now reportedly seeking the risk worthy 3rd rounder.

If Al Davis were still alive I might believe it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I didn’t see this posted, but there are 6 threads going right now. Fowler saying that only Saints involved. Can the Jets afford not to be involved, or are they so certain Rodgers is coming to town?

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1623132762000564224?s=20&t=tNFPy_DfLxbdbkVdVoGgQQ

fWAc4HDK_x96.jpg

Themes emerged from talks w/ teams on Derek Carr: -Inquiring teams want to rework deal, which they believe Carr probably won't do -Raiders' asking price modest. One NFL source said 3rd rd pick could get it done -N.O. believed to be only team engaged to extent of visit as of now

Card or the Jets don’t want this, it’s over (thankfully/hopefully).

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

if the saints weren't on carr's preferred list then why would he visit them?  and if they're willing to make a trade then they are also okay with his current contract.  carr may feel he can get more in free agency but i think he'll be sadly mistaken.

In the NFL, it's all about guaranteed salary. Carr has $40 million in guarantees that kick in Feb 15. $33m in 2023 and $7m in 2024, meaning he can be cut with zero strings attached after next year. I would be very surprised if Carr decided to gamble the rest of his career beyond this season. I'd bet a sizeable amount of money that he is reworking his deal in conjunction with a trade.

18 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

In the NFL, it's all about guaranteed salary. Carr has $40 million in guarantees that kick in Feb 15. $33m in 2023 and $7m in 2024, meaning he can be cut with zero strings attached after next year. I would be very surprised if Carr decided to gamble the rest of his career beyond this season. I'd bet a sizeable amount of money that he is reworking his deal in conjunction with a trade.

any way you spin it, a new contract with a new bonus and new guaranteed money is in his best interest. even if he gets traded he would ask for his contract to be ripped up....so why help the Raiders with a valuable pick your new team can spend on say...a receiver.

• Upvote 2

knowing nothing - I get the sense the Jets are not all that interested in Carr.

Now maybe the way the JETS operate is different under JD, but typically there is some smoke around  potential moves whether that be trade of FA.

I simply don't remember seeing anything of interest of the Jets to Carr and don't even see leaks from the reporters.

I guess we will see

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

any way you spin it, a new contract with a new bonus and new guaranteed money is in his best interest. even if he gets traded he would ask for his contract to be ripped up....so why help the Raiders with a valuable pick your new team can spend on say...a receiver.

If his agents think a team will pay a premium on said extension in a trade to ensure they get their man, maybe that could play in.

I don’t see it just hypothesizing why the heck he wouldn’t just wait to be cut.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

If his agents think a team will pay a premium on said extension in a trade to ensure they get their man, maybe that could play in.

I don’t see it just hypothesizing why the heck he wouldn’t just wait to be cut.

i assume that's already been back channeled.... 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I didn’t even realize that. The plot thickens! 

Another reason why he wouldn’t/shouldn’t waive his NTC. He will get a personal free agency basically to himself when he can bide his time and weigh competing offers.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, TommyT said:

If Carr was the guy, the Jets would leave little to chance. 

The Jets could very well want Carr, but if Carr has no interest in NY, it’s a non starter.  I would have to imagine JD has already kicked the tires unless they have an oral agreement in place with another QB.

Of course If Carrs agents were worth their commission, they’d feign interest in the Jets once Carr becomes a FA.

In any case…should be a rollercoaster next few weeks.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

Another reason why he wouldn’t/shouldn’t waive his NTC. He will get a personal free agency basically to himself when he can bide his time and weigh competing offers.

Plus the Jets are always the best team to use to drive up the price. Either the Jets get used to drive up the contract for a team that he wants to go to OR if there isn’t a strong market for him elsewhere, the Jets get played against themselves and he “settles” for the Jets while they grossly overpay. 

• Upvote 1