Jets C/G under contract

Bronx

Two of the three starters are under contract. The Jets need a Center (McGovern will most likely walk) and will probably go after one in FA. I am also certain they will look at Oline in the draft. Probably a versatile T/G. 

I'd like to keep Herbig for depth but I'm not sure what his market value will be and if that will coincide with what the Jets will be willing to pay for a backup Guard.  

The rest of those players are absolute JAGs and wont be moving the needle either way. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

Having done a handful of mock draft sims some may say I’m am expert when it comes to this draft. 

It seems like there are 2 or 3 solid options at OT with the second round pick. Then C can be taken in the 3rd 

You think we can get a day 1 starter in the 3rd rd?

15 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

You think we can get a day 1 starter in the 3rd rd?

For Center? They rely on the guys next to them more  than any other position 

Stick in Avila or Patterson and I bet they’ll be just fine 

Heck look at the Eagles they are starting a 7th rounder at LT. OL doesn’t need to be all high picks or high priced FAs 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Jets Things said:

Bring back  Herbig and draft a center. 

If Herbig is plan 1B to start at center all year, should that draft pick not prove starter-worthy immediately as a rookie, I could get behind this.

I’d still want to swap out Tomlinson for a different guard. I’m not thrilled with the idea of handing Tomlinson the LG job again after his failure 1st season here. The only thing he did particularly well was not get injured. I’d rather they cut bait now & go in another direction anyway. He’ll be 31 coming off a sucky season, while healthy from end-to-end, with a $13MM pricetag that is fully guaranteed on day 5 of the offseason. 

Order aside:

OT = Brown, Becton, Mitchell, AVT

OG = AVT, Herbig, Tomlinson-replacement

C =  Herbig, rookie

That’s aside from anyone else they add or draft, or others who round out the roster & we ideally hope never have to see the field (e.g. Senat, etc.).

I’ve seen plenty worse, particularly if the #1 starters are in 5-across.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Having done a handful of mock draft sims some may say I’m am expert when it comes to this draft. 

It seems like there are 2 or 3 solid options at OT with the second round pick. Then C can be taken in the 3rd 

Sounds great. Trade down from pick 13, get another WR and LB.

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Herbig is plan 1B to start at center all year, should that draft pick not prove starter-worthy immediately as a rookie, I could get behind this.

I’d still want to swap out Tomlinson for a different guard. I’m not thrilled with the idea of handing Tomlinson the LG job again after his failure 1st season here. The only thing he did particularly well was not get injured. I’d rather they cut bait now & go in another direction anyway. He’ll be 31 coming off a sucky season, while healthy from end-to-end, with a $13MM pricetag that is fully guaranteed on day 5 of the offseason. 

Order aside:

OT = Brown, Becton, Mitchell, AVT

OG = AVT, Herbig, Tomlinson-replacement

C =  Herbig, rookie

That’s aside from anyone else they add or draft, or others who round out the roster & we ideally hope never have to see the field (e.g. Senat, etc.).

I’ve seen plenty worse, particularly if the #1 starters are in 5-across.

You would eat $18M to cut Tomlinson?

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I could see our OL being:

LT - Bakhtiari/Brown

LG - Tomlinson

C - McGovern

RG - AVT

RT - Becton/Mitchell

With a high pick being invested in a Center that can play Guard for a year or 2 while we try to win a ring with Rodgers. I do think McGovern stays. Then bring back someone like Herbig

How would you acquiring Bakhtiari? His current cap hit is like $30M. And you’d also have to resign McGovern which will probably cost $10M. Not to mention Herbig who will get a couple million.

This OL situation is going to shape the Jets season. Douglas has to get it right.

1 minute ago, NYJCAP2 said:

How would you acquiring Bakhtiari? His current cap hit is like $30M. And you’d also have to resign McGovern which will probably cost $10M. Not to mention Herbig who will get a couple million.

This OL situation is going to shape the Jets season. Douglas has to get it right.

That's not how NFL contracts work. If traded Bakhtiari is $16m and $21m the next 2 seasons, you have to remove the signing bonus from those cap numbers because the Packers already paid it.

I think the Jets give up 2 firsts for Rodgers and Bakhtiari. I do think if you get Rodgers McGovern comes cheaper to win. If Herbig is the only other issue I'd consider that a win but I don't think he'll get more than maybe $3m

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

That's not how NFL contracts work. If traded Bakhtiari is $16m and $21m the next 2 seasons, you have to remove the signing bonus from those cap numbers because the Packers already paid it.

I think the Jets give up 2 firsts for Rodgers and Bakhtiari. I do think if you get Rodgers McGovern comes cheaper to win. If Herbig is the only other issue I'd consider that a win but I don't think he'll get more than maybe $3m

I’m just saying, you’d be expecting the Packers to take two of the biggest cap hits in the history of the game in the same season.

10 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

I’m just saying, you’d be expecting the Packers to take two of the biggest cap hits in the history of the game in the same season.

They are may do that anyway. I dont think they keep an injured Bakhtiari at a $30m cap hit. I do think Rodgers is traded and I don't think there is any way Bakhtiari doesn't follow him to either the Jets, Raiders or Titans given that Rodgers named him as a player he wants with him and the need at LT for all 3 teams.

The Packers will be able to say they got 2 firsts for a 39 year old QB and a player they were going to cut

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

They are may do that anyway. I dont think they keep an injured Bakhtiari at a $30m cap hit. I do think Rodgers is traded and I don't think there is any way Bakhtiari doesn't follow him to either the Jets, Raiders or Titans given that Rodgers named him as a player he wants with him and the need at LT for all 3 teams.

The Packers will be able to say they got 2 firsts for a 39 year old QB and a player they were going to cut

Love the idea of packaging Baktiari with Rodgers, but think 2 firsts is too much compensation for 2 guys that probably won't play more than 2 years.   I'd love to be able to trade the #2 this year, and a a pick that can escalate to a #1 based on the Jets performance next year

11 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I suppose it’s possible, the Rams in ‘18 and the Falcons in ‘21 did it.

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Unless a big fish becomes available, the draft will be where the Jets likely find their next C. They're going to try and bring in a guy like Corey Levin as a veteran stopgap/competition, but definitely expecting them to take Joe Tippman or John Michael Schmitz on day 2. 

The Michigan or Georgia centers well as well in the mid rounds.

11 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I could see our OL being:

LT - Bakhtiari/Brown

LG - Tomlinson

C - McGovern

RG - AVT

RT - Becton/Mitchell

With a high pick being invested in a Center that can play Guard for a year or 2 while we try to win a ring with Rodgers. I do think McGovern stays. Then bring back someone like Herbig

This may not mean much but I heard the Jets are not looking to bring McGovern back. 

Sounds like #Jets may be making a move at center in 2023. Connor McGovern is heading towards free agency & he told

@Connor_J_Hughes

that his exit meetings w/ #TakeFlight "did not include discussions of an extension" + "probably not long for Florham Park" Badlands

@JCaporoso

Again, always take this kind of 'reporting' with a grain of salt. But it makes sense. McGovern didn't exactly dominate last year and there happen to be a number of starting caliber Center FAs that the Jets can go after if McGovern is asking for too much. Kelce, Hudson, Bradbury, Bozeman, Pocic, Clapp, to name a few. Some of whom will probably be upgrades. 

My guess on the draft is that we go LT in Rd. 1- IF a top LT falls to us at 13. Just because our LT situation is so dire. If not, I think we trade down or wait until later on in the draft to take a versatile OT/G prospect. 

I'm not sure how you imagine the Jets getting ahold of Bakhtiari. Via trade? Will GB cut him? You can't assume that.

In general, while its possible, I can't imagine the Jets going after one of the top OT FAs. Guys like McGlinchey, for example. With all the other positions the Jets will need to invest in- especially QB. I just don't see it. Its much more likely they go with a Center FA, a backup swing OT, maybe bring back Herbig for depth. Then rely on the draft for a LT or OT/G- depending on how it pans out. 

Brown/Becton/Rookie/Mitchel/Backup swing as your two OTs and depth. Then AVT/Tomlinson/maybe Herbig as your guards. FA as your C. Plus whatever JAGs we add for depth. 

Jet fans may not like it but this is really how I see things playing out. And if guys stay healthy and we bring in a real QB, we should be fine.   

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Eat what?

There’s nothing to eat. I’m not looking at it now but last I recall his 2nd season isn’t guaranteed until day 5 of the season in March. 

Spottrak has an 18 million dead cap hit if he’s cut. Admittedly I know little about the cap but it seems like quite a bit.

4 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Acquiring Bakhtiari is preposterous.  We have millions invested in Duane Brown and Becton, so we are going to bring on another aging guy who only plays LT and has been injured a ton?  Why would we do that exactly?

• Upvote 2

I think the Jets have to draft a LT in round 1, unless a WR is too compelling.

In that case they take the best available T in round 2.

If they do not resign McGovern they need a veteran stop gap.  At some point in the draft they will need to pick the best center available.  If the value is not there in rd 3 it can't be later than round 4.  

The Jets should not be completely empty at Center this year when there at least 4 other positions that are empty too.  

18 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Great work building that line JD ...

... Get back to work.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Well, considering we won 7 games this year and we lost Mekhi Becton, Alijah Vera-Tucker and Cedric Ogbuehi all going down for the season, and Duane Brown, Mike Remmers, Max Mitchell, George Fant, and Nate Herbig all missing multiple games, its a wonder we had an offensive line at all.  

But yeah.....ALL Joe Douglas' fault. 

17 hours ago, rangerous said:

Spottrak has an 18 million dead cap hit if he’s cut. Admittedly I know little about the cap but it seems like quite a bit.

That presumes they cut him after his guaranteed $ for this year kicks in. Plus the dead cap because they backloaded last year’s $13MM payment mostly as SB.

Checking now…

Looks like it has been updated. Previously it said his 2nd year doesn’t guarantee until day 5 of the 2023 season. If that prior info is wrong then they’re stuck with him for another season and hope for the best this year. 

OTC has it a little different: 
https://overthecap.com/player/laken-tomlinson/3876

image.png

So if @jason423 is correct, and I'm prepared to accept he is, then Tomlinson is cuttable through midnight on March 20th and the only cap hit is for money they already paid him for last season, $9MM of which hadn't hit the cap yet. Either that or I’m interpreting it wrong & it’s just the last $2.7MM that guarantees March 21st, with the first $10MM guar at signing, lol. That’d mean he’s here for this season, too, so hopefully he plays a lot better.

• Upvote 1