Some of the curious decisions of Joe Douglas

His 2022 draft class gives him a chance IF he can get a real QB and make the right moves on the offensive line.

But there have been some head scratchers beyond the obvious.  Some of the following likely get an assist from the coaches.

1. Why bring in both Uzomah and Conklin if there was a good chance you were going tight end in the first 3 rounds of the 2022 draft?

2. Why target Laken Tomlinson as a right guard, then later tell us he’ll remain at the premium left guard when you already had a solid left guard in AVT (a guy you traded TWO 3rd rounders fo move up for)?

3. Why not get your insurance policy for Becton before the inevitable injury last offseason?  The price escalated after he got hurt.

4. Why sign and pay George Fant to come play Left Tackle and then pick boom or bust LT Becton instead of the safer choice at RT Wirfs?

5. ‘Off Broadway’ Joe Flacco for a second and then third run (this one has Saleh’s fingerprints on it as well)?

6. How the helll did you and your staff believe Zach Wilson was a perfect fit for the short passing game?

7. How the hell did you and staff believe that Zack Wilson was mentally prepared to play in NYC?

8. You brought Lamarcus Joyner back for that?

9. Why was Braden Mann allowed to torture us for 3 years?

10. How close were you to kicking the crap out of @kevinc855

Any others?

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TommyT said:

It’s called Super Bowl hangover.

Crucial off-season for JD (who I actually like).  Just hope the plan is crystal clear because some of the above didn’t seem cohesively thought out.

Maybe a little misalignment between GM and coaches.  Just hope it gets fixed because there also has been a lot to like.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Apparently he missed the 80+ page "Fire Joe Douglas" thread and decided this board badly needed a thread.

Tough crowd :).

Retreat, retreat …

In retrospect, maybe I should have emphasized curious more because the moves don’t necessarily fit what seems to be a well organized and detailed GM..

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Ryan Kalil for $10mm?

Greg Van Roten (although he found some use with the Bills, so maybe the problem is something else).

Denzel Mims

Ashtyn Davis

Not having a replacement on the roster for Connor McGovern.

Fant was a good signing and a swing T.   He was not supposed to be on the roster this year.  Picking Becton over Wirfs was moronic.  

He was supposed to bring the Eagles and Ravens to Florham Park.  He has not done that. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, varjet said:

Ryan Kalil for $10mm?

Greg Van Roten (although he found some use with the Bills, so maybe the problem is something else).

Denzel Mims

Ashtyn Davis

Not having a replacement on the roster for Connor McGovern.

Fant was a good signing and a swing T.   He was not supposed to be on the roster this year.  Picking Becton over Wirfs was moronic.  

He was supposed to bring the Eagles and Ravens to Florham Park.  He has not done that. 

It’s tough for me to reconcile that this is a guy who could go down as having both the Worst (tied) and Best drafts in Jets history!

On the performance spectrum, you tend not to see such wild swings within a 3 year period.

Was that first draft class driven by Gase?

Is the draft that much of a crapshoot?

I’m just a nerd when it comes to this stuff because I see a lot of great and a lot of what the hell where you thinking from JD, and just want to better understand.

29 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

His 2022 draft class gives him a chance IF he can get a real QB and make the right moves on the offensive line.

But there have been some head scratchers beyond the obvious.  Some of the following likely get an assist from the coaches.

1. Why bring in both Uzomah and Conklin if there was a good chance you were going tight end in the first 3 rounds of the 2022 draft?

2. Why target Laken Tomlinson as a right guard, then later tell us he’ll remain at the premium left guard when you already had a solid left guard in AVT (a guy you traded TWO 3rd rounders fo move up for)?

3. Why not get your insurance policy for Becton before the inevitable injury last offseason?  The price escalated after he got hurt.

4. Why sign and pay George Fant to come play Left Tackle and then pick boom or bust LT Becton instead of the safer choice at RT Wirfs?

5. ‘Off Broadway’ Joe Flacco for a second and then third run (this one has Saleh’s fingerprints on it as well)?

6. How the helll did you and your staff believe Zach Wilson was a perfect fit for the short passing game?

7. How the hell did you and staff believe that Zack Wilson was mentally prepared to play in NYC?

Any others?

What about choosing to be the GM for a team with a fan base that posts this nonsense days after 2 of his picks won offensive and defensive rookie of the year...... while another was primed to win offensive rookie of the year if not for an injury...

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Any others?

Drafts are tough. A lot of people on here saying that Wirfs was a no brainer over Becton. Thats not really true. Becton is a true LT and looked like he was going to be an absolute monster his rookie season.  Had he not gotten hurt, who knows. Wirfs is a RT and was always going to be a RT. He happened to develop into a stud and stay healthy. Drafts are a crapshoot. Not as easy a call as you would think. You always want the high upside pure LT vs. a high floor RT, if you are drafting early in Rd. 1. I was not THAT surprised when Becton was the pick over Wirfs. I was nervous. But not that surprised. 

And you can say the same about Mims and Mann and Ash Davis. I'm not nec. defending the picks, I'm just saying the draft is a crapshoot. Mims was projected by many to go in Rd. 1 and we needed a WR. Mann was easily one of the best college punters and we needed a punter. We took him in Rd. 6. He was massively inconsistent. Yes, should have not had such a long leash. 

1. I don't think you can assume the Jets KNEW they were going to draft a TE in the first 3 rounds. Ruckert specifically was probably high on their board and when he was still available in Rd. 3 they decided to pounce. Especially since they had taken the other guys they most likely had high on their board Sauce, Wilson, JJ and Hall. 

2. Maybe they just went after the best available Guard who was familiar with the system and felt like AVT could play either position. Not shocking. 

3. Clearly a mistake. But I think the idea was that they had Fant, who could take over LT- and Mitchell could take over RT? I dunno. I'm reaching here. 

4. This I mentioned earlier. Best player on the board was probably Becton. A pure LT who they felt had a higher ceiling. Fant was probably not a long term solution in their eyes and they were probably not sold on his play as a LT- rather a swing. 

5. Clearly another mistake. I get the idea. Sign a vet to mentor the youngster. But Flacco was just SO BAD. Maybe they had a lot of faith in White as the backup? Nope, I don't get this. 

6. + 7. Zach SEEMED like he had a great head on his shoulders, was a great student of the game and had a fantastic demeanor. His college tape did not show him throwing short passes into the ground. Frankly, I don't think the Jets were looking at him specifically as a short passer either. Rather an overall QB prospect. A LOT of teams wanted Zach, not just the Jets. Hindsight is 20/20. I know some were screaming he was going to be a bust but it was far from obvious based off him as a college prospect. Again, the draft is a crapshoot. 

8. I don't get it. Apart from his injury, Joyner played well for the player he is. This wasn't some kind of FA whiff by JD. Joyner was essentially a role player thrust into a starting role. He didn't eat up a lot of cap. He wasn't supposed to be some kind of dominant figure in the secondary. He had some breakdowns in coverage, he had some crucial INTs. He was fine. He was part of one of the top secondaries in the NFL. What's the beef?

9. Mentioned this- Mann should have been cut. Got a longer leash than he should have.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

We had zero TEs, as in have had the worst TE room for years, this was a good move though Uzomah is more of a cheerleader tan good player these days.

We needed a guard and a good one, he was a bit of a bust but if you play oline in this league you have to play right or left.

The problem is that if got the insurance policy ad had a guy sit on the bench all year at a high price it would have been an issue.  Having said that he for sure should have been more aware of bectons iffy status.

Fant was a ?  Picking a Tackle was the right move, he just got the wrong guy.

This was a huge horrendous error, lousy shot QB, not a good mentor, just an awful awful choice to keep him and worse to play him rather than mike white when wilson got hurt.

Wilson was a fit because they felt he was a good young talented QB, they were wrong.  By far the worst art of the whole thing was not recognizing that the player was not remotely ready for the nfl and needed to sit for one to two years.

See above, horrible error not to have a viable vet QB and make the guy sit, i could care less were he guy is drafted.

This was indeed a head scratcher, more of a we can get by move.  Also we do not know how much the coaching staff pitched for him.

Because he was their draft pick, I blame Boyer for this guy as well.

Hopefully close

Any others?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Any others?

I actually give JD a lot of credit for picking Ruckert after signing those 2 guys - it showed that he will stick to his board rather then draft for "need" which is absolutely what you need to do as a GM.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Apparently he missed the 80+ page "Fire Joe Douglas" thread and decided this board badly needed a thread.

Having a pregnant women grab her crotch and smell her hand during halftime on live TV was extremely disorienting.   It could have happened to anyone.  

I know people on this board who suffer from Peyronie's desease who's minds were completely erased by Prince's halftime show. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Having a pregnant women grab her crotch and smell her hand during halftime on live TV was extremely disorienting.   It could have happened to anyone.  

I know people on this board who suffer from Peyronie's desease who's minds were completely erased by Prince's halftime show. 

Did she really do that?  Lol

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What about choosing to be the GM for a team with a fan base that posts this nonsense days after 2 of his picks won offensive and defensive rookie of the year...... while another was primed to win offensive rookie of the year if not for an injury...

I actually like JD and just posted about how excited I was for year 2 of this past draft class.

I just hope he learns from some of his mistakes because quite frankly some of them seem out of character, and disjointed.

If that means he has to overrule Saleh or the OC, then so be it.

I don’t want to read that Rex Hogan and LaFleur were responsible for Zach’s selection.  Or that the OC didn’t use the talent the GM got him.

Thats where my post is coming from if you care to respond and not react. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Or one where some fans are just fine with a 13-37 record and a collapse from playoff contention losing 6 in a row because individual awards are the coolest thing ever!

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Morgan Moses.

We let him walk to give Becton an uncontested spot. Douglas reaslised this mistake even before Becton went down as Brown was visiting the facility prior to his injury.

We paid Brown more than double what Moses was paid in Baltimore and he wasn’t even half as good. PFF wrote recently that Moses has one of the best value contracts in the league. Self sabotage.

But… but… those two rookie awards! No need to win games, surely they make him worthy of an extension!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Any others?

You realize that if Douglas mandated that Tomlinson play left guard that he will have totally jumped salehs authority. If Tomlinson played left then it’s because that’s where milfy and benson wanted to put him. As for Conklin and uzomah I suspect he was looking at the blocking aspects of their games and it’s not like they haven’t had 3 tes in the past. Becton? Who knew he wouldn’t be able to play this season? As I recall the 2021 injury was supposed to keep him out for 6 weeks and then more issues were found when he reinjured the knee this season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Any others?

Are you suggesting that the Jets should have not signed both Conklin and CJ for the oft chance that Ruckert would be available in the draft. What if he wasn't, just go in either Conklin, Cager and Yeboah?

I believe they targeted Laken to be one of their guards. They needed a guard, Van Roten wasn't good.

Wasn't Brown the insurance policy.

Becton got hurt twice. Many experts thought Wirfs was a guard coming out of College. He played well at RT. Let's see how he plays without Tom getting the ball out early.

Flacco wasn't good, but every other QB on the Jets weren't good.

They did believe in Zach, the real question however is why did you allow your HC hire a 1st time OC who was way over his head when you had every intention on drafting a young QB. I have no issue with how Zach handled himself with the enormous scrutiny in the NY market. I have more of an issue with an OC was throwing Mims, Becton, Moore and Zach under the bus. MiLF handled himself poorly and was the leak to Connor and Zack.

They did, it happens. Joyner under performed.

Mann was inconsistent this year. JD did get Greg the leg.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And sadly this is why Douglas needs to be the Jets GM till Woody Johnson dies.  Next GM hire will be another Macc otherwise.  

That's my feelings also.... he should be on the hot seat but grading on the Jets curve he's done a pretty good job and you can't fire him.

• Upvote 2