Jump to content

Albert Breer: Jets Called Raiders To Inquire About Carr


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Maybe but now he's probably going to be released. I have to assume they'd be interested in him as a FA if they were willing to give up something in trade.

Just because they asked, does not mean that he is their primary target. By asking you find out:

-What may be a going rate of trade for a starting qb in the market.

-Info on what other teams are interested in a veteran qb in trade.

-As well get the scent off if there is any collusion in a Jet/Rodgers possible deal.

The Jets should be talking with any team that may have a veteran qb available, regardless if that is their top target or not. Not doing so would be malfeasance on Douglas' part.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

@Barry McCockinner 

I saw something here today from Breer where he said the Jets and Saints were the only two teams to contact the Raiders last week about a trade.

“So my guess is the Raiders will cut Carr, maybe Monday, maybe Tuesday, and the Saints and Jets (the only other team to inquire with the Raiders on him) will look into signing him later in the week.

That last part is tricky, though, because of the uncertainty of Aaron Rodgers’s status.Right now, Rodgers’s plans remain up in the air, and because of that, the market for Carr could be weighed down a little by teams that might figure that staying alive for Rodgers is better than signing Carr.

If you’re the Jets, do you go all in on Carr? Or do you wait for Rodgers? Those are the questions, and as we’ve written in this space before, the Jets, buoyed by owner Woody Johnson’s feeling that the team is getting closer to being a real contender, are planning to take the big swing, so I’d be surprised (even though they did talk to the Raiders about Carr) if they settled for the double now with a chance to hit a home run later.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/14/derek-carr-quarterback-carousel-market-beginning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Rodgers is having his weekly meeting with McAfee and that didn't get scheduled till this past Friday. I think Rodgers will announce his intentions on the show. It's possible the Jets gave Rodgers and the Packers a deadline for a decision to fall in line with Carr being released. The Jets can not afford to miss out on QBs bc they're waiting for an answer and then ultimately get screwed by Rodgers. They can't take that chance.

That’s an interesting thought. You may have something here. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anybody the Jets sign to be their QB next year is going to make the Jets better. Some choices are better than others but it's going to be hard for the Jets to not improve at the QB position given where they currently are at with it.

Rodgers, Carr, Jimmy G, Tannehill, take your pick. Any of those guys is a significant upgrade over what we currently have.

Even guys like Brissett, Mayfield, and Minshew are upgrades. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Jets called the Raiders and leaked this story about Carr so that Rodgers doesn't drag his feet. I think the Jets gave GB & Rodgers a hard deadline, which is why Rodgers pushed back his darkness retreat and is now appearing on the McAfee show tomorrow

See above 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Jets called the Raiders and leaked this story about Carr so that Rodgers doesn't drag his feet. I think the Jets gave GB & Rodgers a hard deadline, which is why Rodgers pushed back his darkness retreat and is now appearing on the McAfee show tomorrow

Yeah, I've been musing along similar lines. Rodgers apparently moving back his darkness thing and scheduling an appearance with McAfee is interesting.

The Jets really can't afford to let Rodgers dictate the timing here - they either need to know if he is coming here or not, so they can move onto pursuing Carr if need be.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

and?  why wouldn't douglas call about carr or garapollo or rodgers or just about any other qb they might be interested in?  if carr knows what the interest in then that might explain how quick he was to veto any trade the raiders were going to make with the saints.  and i also think douglas knows how to play the smokescreen game.  he may have called about carr but at the same time is working behind the scenes on another qb.  why give away the choice until the contract is all signed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like Douglas is playing hardball  to a tee. He’s making Rodgers nervous with the report of the Jets making a trade offer to Carr. That’s why Rodgers is reportedly appearing on McAfee tomorrow. If I’m Douglas, the first QB that accepts a verbal offer I would take it and run with it no regrets. Otherwise it’s a dangerous game the Jets are playing if they try to hold out on one. You then risk the chance of losing both of them.

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Looks like Douglas is playing hardball  to a tee. He’s making Rodgers nervous with the report of the Jets making a trade offer to Carr. That’s why Rodgers is reportedly appearing on McAfee tomorrow. If I’m Douglas, the first QB that accepts a verbal offer I would take it and run with it no regrets. Otherwise it’s a dangerous game the Jets are playing if they try to hold out on one. You then risk the chance of losing both of them.

I’m pretty sure Rodgers is not the one who’s nervous here. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, C Mart said:

So my guess is the Raiders will cut Carr, maybe Monday, maybe Tuesday, and the Saints and Jets (the only other team to inquire with the Raiders on him) will look into signing him later in the week.

That last part is tricky, though, because of the uncertainty of Aaron Rodgers’s status.Right now, Rodgers’s plans remain up in the air, and because of that, the market for Carr could be weighed down a little by teams that might figure that staying alive for Rodgers is better than signing Carr.

If you’re the Jets, do you go all in on Carr? Or do you wait for Rodgers? Those are the questions, and as we’ve written in this space before, the Jets, buoyed by owner Woody Johnson’s feeling that the team is getting closer to being a real contender, are planning to take the big swing, so I’d be surprised (even though they did talk to the Raiders about Carr) if they settled for the double now with a chance to hit a home run later.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/14/derek-carr-quarterback-carousel-market-beginning

What you do is you call the packers and say "we need an answer on Rodgers this week; we're not going to let Carr go in hopes of getting Aaron later, so you can hold us up when we have no other options. What's the price?"

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Looks like Douglas is playing hardball  to a tee. He’s making Rodgers nervous with the report of the Jets making a trade offer to Carr. That’s why Rodgers is reportedly appearing on McAfee tomorrow. If I’m Douglas, the first QB that accepts a verbal offer I would take it and run with it no regrets. Otherwise it’s a dangerous game the Jets are playing if they try to hold out on one. You then risk the chance of losing both of them.

Yep. You need to know that Rodgers is available at comp you'd be willing to pay before you let Carr sign elsewhere for a price you would have paid

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, C Mart said:

That last part is tricky, though, because of the uncertainty of Aaron Rodgers’s status.Right now, Rodgers’s plans remain up in the air, and because of that, the market for Carr could be weighed down a little by teams that might figure that staying alive for Rodgers is better than signing Carr.

AR better hurry and get back into the daylight. His options may soon be limited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...