Why are some people willing to trade "whatever it takes" for Rodgers?

bonkertons

Because they’re as high on acid as he is. Rogers at this point in his life is definitely a gamble and not worth it. Rogers “ the player” can still do it. 

Rogers the person is a wack job and ego maniac and not worth the tremendous haul. Go get Carr- the way the team is being built the Jets would be fine with just consistent qb play and a guy who stays healthy for once.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Because fan base is delusional. Rogers deal would be a disaster for this franchise. It would be 1 year then this guy will retire leaving the Jets in cap hell with 60 million in dead money. Jets need to find a QB that will at least be with them long term or find a cheap bridge QB and draft a QB try to fix wilson. I think it's the ownership that is pushing this to fill seats and why this team will never win a SB as long as Johnsons own the team.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

To me its a pretty simple equation:

Rogers:  Gives you a B+/A- in production for $50+ million per year and you lose a #1 draft pick (plus those crazy dead cap hits in 2025 and 2026)

Carr:  Gives you a B/B+ in production for $35 million per year, no loss of draft picks and no off the field nonsense

Carr allows us to keep our pick and add to the OL or defense so that our roster can get a little closer to being able to compete against Mahomes/Burrow because Rogers is simply not good enough to do that as a QB

Agreed.  Although I do think it’s going to take north of $40M per year to get Carr to come to the Jets.  

Yeah let's just stay the course, it has worked the past 50+ years.  Rodgers is still a top 10 QB, closer to 5 and gives us a chance at the super bowl.  His cap hit next year is not that large and might,not take a 1st this year so can still improve the team.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

To me its a pretty simple equation:

Rogers:  Gives you a B+/A- in production for $50+ million per year and you lose a #1 draft pick (plus those crazy dead cap hits in 2025 and 2026)

Carr:  Gives you a B/B+ in production for $35 million per year, no loss of draft picks and no off the field nonsense

Carr allows us to keep our pick and add to the OL or defense so that our roster can get a little closer to being able to compete against Mahomes/Burrow because Rogers is simply not good enough to do that as a QB

This might be the case for 2023, but then Carr’s (and Quinnen’s) cap hits start putting the squeeze on the rest of the roster and then we’re the Raiders moving forward.

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

If we get Rodgers, we are better than most teams in the AFC. Behind KC. But right there with the Bengals and Bills.

I wouldn't trade two 1st for him though.

Not sure we are better than Bengals and Bills with him. Green Bay with better OC didn't break 500 in an easier division. And if you are going to trade away draft capital and cap space (which may require letting some players go), you do it for long term prominence (Rodgers is not the future), or a guaranteed SB run (or close to it); and I don't see the Jets getting past KC or Buffalo or Cincy by going with an aging QB and the inability to draft or sign other key pieces - and if we don't get to the big game, why give up on the core that JD has been building on an aging QB who hasn't been winning?

Currently we have the chance to draft a few nice pieces and have enough cap (with some moves) to sign a decent QB and maybe a top tier WR or TE. I think that gives us the best chance of success.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Not sure what makes some fans think that just because you add Rodgers, that all of a sudden, we're competing for a SB. For that matter even keeping draft picks, and going the Carr route doesn't do that either, especially since we have no idea what our offense is going to look like under Hackett. I'm not down for giving up multiple draft picks for a guy who might play 1 year. While I would love Rogers also, I'm not sold on him as the answer, which doesn't make us FANS, that aren't all in on him or Carr, delusional, or wanting perpetual 7-8 win seasons.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I've seen people say they'd trade our 1st this year and next.  I've seen people say they'd throw in a 2nd if needed.  I've seen someone say they'd offer our 1st plus Quinnen.

I just don't get it.  Does Rodgers make us an auto-SB contender in some people's eyes?  No matter what QB we get, we're still going to be behind the Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, Jags, Chargers, and maybe even the Ravens in regards to the QB position in the AFC.  I don't see how Rodgers makes us some lock for greatness, especially without picks that we'd be able to use to address some of these needs we will still have.  Instead we'll have to look to the UFA market to fill these spots, which will most likely put us in the position that the Buccaneers are in now.  Obviously winning a SB softens that blow, which Tampa did, but if we don't....does that mean we just squandered the chance to build something great for some 2 year window of whatever Rodgers has left in the tank?

Would it not make more sense to bring in a solid game manager like Jimmy or Tannehill, strengthen the OL, and keep building the D.  Build your team as one that will wear you down with Hall on offense(while still having the big play threat with Wilson), while throwing out a defense that will give OC's fits.  Let's say you sign Jimmy/Tannehill and you trade down from 13 to like 25 with the Giants, getting their 2nd this year and next year.  You walk away from the draft with Trenton Simpson in the 1st and JM Schmitz and JL Skinner in the 2nd.  

Honestly who we take in the draft is secondary.  If you want to build a super offense, whatever, that's fine.  The point is, I'd rather have Carr/Jimmy/Tannehill + 13th overall + '24 1st than I would Rodgers.  It's really not even close either.  Am I the only one who wouldn't trade a 1st of any kind for this dude?  This isn't the NHL or the MLB.  1st round picks carry ridiculous value in the NFL.  That's potentially a day one star.  Trading two for a guy who might only be here for 1 or 2 years is absurd to me.  I get it, those 1sts could be Darron Lee or Calvin Pryor or even Mekhi Becton(a guy who looks legit but just can't stay healthy), but they could also be a Sauce or Garrett or AVT or Revis or Mangold or Quinnen, etc.  

Even if we trade for Rodgers, we'll still be in the market to draft a QB next year or in '25 the latest.  I don't buy this argument that trading for him somehow salvages Zach.  Maybe sitting and continuing to learn helps Zach, but I don't think Rodgers specifically does anything for Zach.  That aspect would really carry no weight for me in a Rodgers trade.  If you trade for this guy, it's specifically to win in these next two years.  Personally I think we are building something special here.  We have an amazing young core on both sides of the ball.  I want to continue to see where this goes.  Bring in a game manager, keep the picks, address the OL, LB, S, WR positions, and then next year trade whatever the **** you want to move up for one of those top QB's in the '24 draft if Zach still hasn't made any progress.  

If Rodgers ends up costing two 2nds, I'm all in.  **** it, I see his value in what he can bring us these next two years, but anything beyond that?  I pass.  Sorry for the TLDR.  I just feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone on this one. 

I barely made it into the second paragraph. Behind the Jags? Are you kidding?

Ok, let's  talk about Rodgers for a second. Rodgers has the ability  to be a league MVP and the highest rated player at QB in the league. Last season he played the whole season with a broken thumb and was better than any QB that was on the Jets. Also, who the Hell said we would include Q in a Rodgers trade? Was that your crazy uncle who you see at Thanksgiving? All I have seen is it will cost the 13th pick plus maybe 2 seconds or a second and third. I have also heard  trading our first for Rodgers is more cap friendly than drafting a player because most of the cap hit will be transfered into bonus which will be spread out vs paying the the pick 30 million.  Rodgers to the Jets is a no brainer. And yes, if Rodgers is on the Jets, we are in the SB conversation.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Gibby said:

Because they’re as high on acid as he is. Rogers at this point in his life is definitely a gamble and not worth it. Rogers “ the player” can still do it. 

Rogers the person is a wack job and ego maniac and not worth the tremendous haul. Go get Carr- the way the team is being built the Jets would be fine with just consistent qb play and a guy who stays healthy for once.

If it is between Rodgers and Carr, you take Rodgers. Why drive a Mustang when you can drive a Ferrari.  

Why are some so sure Rodgers will cost the Jets multiple or even a single 1st? 
Multiple 1sts for a QB who’s probably a 2 year fix making $50M per?  
GB has already said they’re only trading Rodgers to an AFC team. That leaves what the Jets, Titans and Raiders?  Raiders are rumored to be after Jimmy G and the Titans who are said to not be in the chase for Rodgers.  

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If it is between Rodgers and Carr, you take Rodgers. Why drive a Mustang when you can drive a Ferrari.  

I would’ve definitely agreed with you a few years ago. Again- the player yes. The person he’s become makes me seriously question his commitment 

1 hour ago, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

This weird narrative that the Jets would still be behind 5-6 teams in the afc, after adding a top 10 quarterback to play with Breece Hall and Garrett Wilson has to stop. It’s just inaccurate. Especially when the Jets have a much better defense than every team you just listed. You’re essentially asking Aaron Rodgers with a plethora of weapons at his disposal to score you more than 20 points a game to lock up a win. Off the top of my head, both patriot games, Vikings, lions, dolphins and maybe Buffalo losses all would’ve been wins with rodgers. That’s 12-5/13-4 instead of 7-10. 

So what about the weird narrative that somehow a 40 year old qb won't get killed behind our terrible oline because we had no draft capital or cap space to upgrade it? 

One thing both superbowl participants shared was an excellent oline.

Also you assume the defense will perform at exactly the same level. We are a quinnen injury away from being average at best. The interior dline needs helps along with safety and LB that can actually cover.

We are not an aaron rodgers away from being a superbowl contender. Sorry, that's just a false narrative. 

24 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Jets fans have always been delusional and need to chase the big name. It’s weird one 7 win season they think guys like Rodgers (one SB appearance in his prime) and Lamar (one playoff win in 5 seasons) are going to propel the Jets to the top of the AFC.

Las Vegas thinks so.... 

But hey, I guess they're delusional......

• More Ugh 1

I want rodgers and the "whatever it takes" cost, at least in my opinion is a 3rd rounder in this years draft and a conditional 2024 pick that can be a first. If its structured anywhere close to what favres deal was, the first round threshold would only be hit if we made the AFCCG and he plays 70% of snaps. I'm assuming the pick in 24 will also have some sort of language that protects the jets from a 1 and done stint with the team. Something along those lines. So if everything went perfect and the team made a deep playoff run, Rodgers would cost A very late first and a 3rd. That doesn't seem like an over pay to me.  We've been irrelevant for 12 seasons and counting. We've had firsts every year during this time and what do we have to show for it? I've been as patient as anyone and I think the time is now. In addition, rodgers makes a ton of sense, we have a ton of guys on cheap deals. By the time rodgers is ready to retire, guys like sauce and garrett wilson will be due for contract extensions. Getting a guy like Carr, he would still be on the books when our young studs would be ready for contract extensions. Getting rodgers would allow us to take our time and develop our next QB of the future and potentially have a cheap QB for another 2-3 seaons post aaron rodgers. This would be a great fit, at least for the jets it would be.

• Upvote 1