Bring em back or let em walk: Kwon and Quincy

Rhg1084

Just now, rangerous said:

Both of these guys played well. Qwill plays with enthusiasm. But neither guy is a top lb so they should be kept at a fair price.

Right.  We don't really need top LBs in this system.  It's predicated on great DL and Secondary play, which we have.  These guys are perfect fits if they fit the cap model.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Both unrestricted free agents. 

Kwon: 28 years old, seemed to fit Saleh’s system nice last year. Loves to hit hard

Quincy: 26 years old, 106 tackles last year, 3 sacks. Another guy who plays like his hair is on fire. All over the field. Hits like a missile. 

I hope we retain both of these players as they really flourished in this defense. Both are big hitters that punish the ball carrier. 

Bring them Both back with "reasonable" contracts... I'm All In.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Kwon: 28 years old, seemed to fit Saleh’s system nice last year. Loves to hit hard

Quincy: 26 years old, 106 tackles last year, 3 sacks. Another guy who plays like his hair is on fire. All over the field. Hits like a missile. 

I hope we retain both of these players as they really flourished in this defense. Both are big hitters that punish the ball carrier. 

both cover very well too

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

It’s not their strength however 

Well In that perspective OC's always try to scheme to the weakness of the defense its always better not to have a LB in coverage but they often get schemed into coverage vs TE's and at times WR's they also have to cover backs . I think Kwon and Williams are both very good in coverage because they are both fast and quick. Not really a good way to stop this scheming, and that's part of the reason you see backers much lighter in weight in this type of defense. Pressure from the LOS.... LB's always backing into coverage.... they do it on almost every down other than short yardage.

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Both are good players. Quincy I’d describe as more consistent, Kwon more of a playmaker. We need to retain both. 

I would love to see JJ lose weight and become a LB he good enough and fast enough to play the position and I would love to see him play the middle move Sherwood to the outside and have a nice 3 man rotation. We have enough pass rushers from the DE position that are developing well I think JJ is a better LB than he is a situational pass rusher and I think we are wasting his talent in that capacity.

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I would love to see JJ lose weight and become a LB he good enough and fast enough to play the position and I would love to see him play the middle move Sherwood to the outside and have a nice 3 man rotation. We have enough pass rushers from the DE position that are developing well I think JJ is a better LB than he is a situational pass rusher and I think we are wasting his talent in that capacity.

JJ is solid setting the Edge. He’s coming along as a pass rusher. Leave him where he is. We don’t need another Coples odyssey.

Get him in the weight room for a full off-season and see what he’s capable of 

45 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Right.  We don't really need top LBs in this system.  It's predicated on great DL and Secondary play, which we have.  These guys are perfect fits if they fit the cap model.

Its all relative right? If we had a stud QB on a rookie deal and no need to re-sign our best pass rusher (huff). If our O-line did not need to be re-tooled via FA, etc. I would say go after an impact LB in FA to pair with Mosley. Bring back Quincy and Kwon, even if it means paying above market value. BUT that is not the case. While JD will do everything he can to keep this defensive unit together, there is just no way he can overpay for either one of these guys. Especially Kwon, who is more of a role player. 

I will say however, that I could see both Kwon and Quincy wanting to stay with this defense. Kwon is a great fit in this system (which is why he came here in the first place) and can probably be retained at a favorable price. And Quincy is guy who flourished with the Jets, got the opportunity to start, excel in this defensive scheme, and of course play with his brother. While I doubt that Quincy will give some sort of 'home town discount', I do think he would prefer to stay with the Jets- and that counts for something in negotiations. Essentially, if the Jets make a fair offer, he may take it without being lured away or deciding to test FA. 

Defensively- #1 priority for the Jets in FA is to resign RFA Huff. Then, keep QW happy. Then Quincy. Then everyone else (Kwon, S, DT, depth, etc.)

15 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The Jets’ biggest linebacker is listed at 6’2, 231 and he struggles with being mobile enough to do what the defense asks him to do. Johnson is pretty lean as it is, a little stiff for an edge rusher, and is listed at 6’5, 262. Even if he lost some weight he’d struggle tremendously at linebacker in this scheme.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yes please. 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I bring both back, if possible, and I retain Mosely, but also look hard in the 2023 draft for LB upgrades.

Put the Jets Squeeze on Mosley at the end of the summer. Franchise specialty. ;) No one's going to swoop in and offer CJM anywhere near $17MM for this season; and if one bad + foolish team does, power to them. Frankly I'd even consider eating a little of it to get a draft pick in return (never mind he wouldn't get that as a UFA; even less of a chance anyone's paying a draft pick for the privilege of his last 2 seasons at $17MM per, so we'd have to eat some $). Would depend on how much, though, since I wouldn't expect the pick would be high at all.

The best rationalization to retain Mosley is if we're letting one - or both - last year's other starting LBs go in FA. If we're bringing back both, then it makes the least sense, as it makes Mosley is 10x more expendable than he already is.

Somehow the Chiefs can start a late 2nd round rookie, and the Eagles can find their MLB from the UDFA pile, the Bengals in round 3, etc. I could see it if he was a visibly better player like Warner The Jets have to pay the special tax of $17MM/year for an obviously lesser player. Spread his over-bloated salary to Rodgers, QW1, another tackle, and/or whomever. Or if they just have to have a name veteran MLB then dump him in favor of a younger, better, and cheaper veteran like Edmunds.

Frankly my vote is to use a day 2 pick on MLB, play him behind or rotate in with a Lavonte David for a year (or two, if necessary), and call it a day. Or just start Kwon Alexander there this year over a rookie to develop, seeing how MLB is his natural position in the first place.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Who wants to get rid of them?

If you have special talent difference making Lbs like parsons or warner you highly prize them and put a priority on them if you have guys that are asked essentially to make tackles you do not over pay or over prioritize that position.  Those type of players are just about the easiest thing to replace with cheap alternatives in the NFL.

Guys off the scrap heap (See Kwon) or mid to late round picks will rack up tons of tackles if you have a good dline.

Williams I would like if does not ask too much, Mosley would be gone 100% for sure.  He is not going accept the kind of pay cut I'd offer him.

would keep both but Williams over Kwon. 

we should keep Williams even if we have to give him a Million or 2 more than hes worth. im sure if would make his brother happy who maybe its a coincidence that QW had his best 2 years so far playing with his brother. maybe but is it worth it to take the chance for 1-2 million if it makes QW regress? amd Quincy had over 100 tackles and i think lead us in TFL. he deserves to come back with a raise. and if we move on from CJ he could move right in at MLB and be just as good for much less money.