Jets *may be* very interested in Tannehill

JETS SB

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/jets/jets-much-higher-on-ryan-tannehill-than-some-might-expect?utm_campaign=www.audacy.com%2Fwfan&utm_content=1676394795&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=WFAN-AM&fbclid=IwAR3g0m19fIpdyPQjUHF3Zge3BQR2l8L5q-nFr_PSemzVN3bdhoZa6ZM8yF4

Seems there are more and more signs that Tannehill is definitely a fallback option if they don’t get Rodgers. I personally would put him 4th behind Rodgers, Jimmy G, and Carr but definitely the guy that will cost us the least. Considering the coaches we are hiring, there is definitely a Titans connection. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 2
  • More Ugh 2
  • Haha 3

Here is the Connor Hughes article that seems to have spurred the Tannehill conversations.  He states that Tannehill is a 4th option behind Rodgers, Carr and Jimmy G, which seems reasonable.

https://www.sny.tv/articles/jets-offseason-blueprint-playoffs-2023

Get a quarterback
This one goes without saying. It’s undeniably the biggest headline in Florham Park. The Jets have admitted it themselves. They realize they desperately need to get a veteran quarterback, so they’re going to — a sobering acknowledgment of where things stand with Zach Wilson.

The Jets will do their homework on every available quarterback, but the pecking order seems to be as follows: Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Ryan Tannehill.

Rodgers is clearly atop the Jets’ wish list. That’s the NFL’s worst-kept secret right now. The problem is that no one has any idea what Rodgers wants. He’s readying for a darkness retreat — yes, really — and all involved hope for some clarity once that’s over. The Green Bay Packers are expected to do what Rodgers wants — keep him, let him ride off into retirement, or trade him to a team of his choosing.

The concern in Florham Park is that Rodgers might not want the Jets as much as the Jets want him.

A Carr consolation prize wouldn’t be the worst thing. He’s a very underrated passer. The New Orleans Saints appear the frontrunners for him, though, and there are some concerns across the league with how Carr’s personality would mesh in New York. Garoppolo (familiar with Saleh) will be linked to New York if the team misses on Rodgers and Carr. Don’t sleep on Tannehill. There’s a feeling around the NFL that the Jets are much higher on him than some want to believe.

• Upvote 2

So just aren’t the jets looking at right now?  I wouldn’t be surprised if their qb rankings are different from most fans. I’m guessing woody is a Rodgers fan boy but Douglas may have a very different idea as to who the qb should be and that might not be salehs either.  March 15 will be here before we know it. It’s possible they already have a guy on board.

No surprise. People are dreaming if they think that Rodgers or Carr are signing here (or that Douglas would pay them $40 million/year).

Jimmy G and Tannehill are likely targets. If we sign one of them, the next question is whether we re-sign Mike White to be the final piece of the QB stable or if we draft another QB. Gun to my head, I’m thinking Garoppolo/Mike White/Zach. 

• Upvote 2

Not the most durable but definitely more durable than Garoppolo and similar production results. So, between Jimmy G and Tannehill they're basically on the same level 2 back up options if we miss out on Rodgers and Carr.

But this is the problem with hiring defensive head coaches....

They live by the philosophy of "I just need a QB that won't make us lose."

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

No surprise. People are dreaming if they think that Rodgers or Carr are signing here (or that Douglas would pay them $40 million/year).

Jimmy G and Tannehill are likely targets. If we sign one of them, the next question is whether we re-sign Mike White to be the final piece of the QB stable or if we draft another QB. Gun to my head, I’m thinking Garoppolo/Mike White/Zach. 

I think right now Tannehill is the more likely choice than Garoppolo, only because his is the name we’re hearing suddenly, but if you asked me 10 days ago I’d have said the same as you.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Saleh and JD basically be putting their heads on a platter with this move....

I’m thinking the opposite Kevin.

Tannehill would be relatively inexpensive and is probably good enough that we could win 9ish games next year. That might or might not be good enough to get in the playoffs, but they could claim to be “moving in the right direction.”

He might actually be a good choice to buy them the time (or extension) they want.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Not the most durable but definitely more durable than Garoppolo and similar production results. So, between Jimmy G and Tannehill they're basically on the same level 2 back up options if we miss out on Rodgers and Carr.

But this is the problem with hiring defensive head coaches....

They live by the philosophy of "I just need a QB that won't make us lose."

It's just the reality of the situation. They'll try for Rodgers or Carr i'm sure but who knows how that ends up. After that? It's stop gap/bridge nonsense. Nothing pretty. 

• Upvote 1