Will Derek Carr use the NY Jets as leverage?

Bronx

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Joe Douglas has shown himself not to be a sucker.

Even the Tyreek Hills stuff - we lost but there wasn't a lot of back and forth.  He gave his price - and Hill chose the fish.  

So in theory, yes - he'll use the Jets as a competitive offer - I would suspect the Jets will offer one - but JD isn't going to be sucker Mac was.

Welcome back Captain!

• Haha 3

How serious is he about winning?

1. Jets have as talented a non QB roster as any team likely vying for his services 

2. There might be weaker divisions but Tua is a big ?, Mac Jones is Mac Jones, and Josh Allen is about to start squeezing the Bills salary cap

How much does he like money?

Unless the Panthers get involved, I don’t see any team being in a better spot to pay him over the next 3 years

If the answers are yes, the Jets might look much more attractive than the negative nancies here believe.

• Upvote 4

Sure. OTOH teams will leverage the FAs and trade partners against each other to try to pay less. 

Douglas would be wise to try to engage Carr's agent to keep him in the market until Rodgers comes back from the wilderness. Then regardless of which one is a higher priority it gives Douglas something to use against whichever one he is after. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hawk said:

JD:  You are not using this organization or me to pad your pockets.  Tell me what you're looking for, if it works welcome to New York. 

why not? i want Carr but if we dont get him why not force another team to pay more for him? it gives them less money to do other things. us being involved with Hill had to cost Miami more in money and or draft picks. 

if we dont get him, help make other teams pay more. who cares if the player makes more money. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

why not? i want Carr but if we dont get him why not force another team to pay more for him? it gives them less money to do other things. us being involved with Hill had to cost Miami more in money and or draft picks. 

if we dont get him, help make other teams pay more. who cares if the player makes more money. 

Exactly. I don't understand why people still don't understand the cap and how every dollar another team spends helps us down the road. Making the Fish pay a ton for Tyreek Hill was better than letting the Fish get him for less. 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, doitny said:

He is going to use each team regardless.  Nothing wrong with making it known you're not the patsy to pump the contract.  

• Upvote 1

Derek Carr isn’t using us for leverage 

Derek Carr is our fallback plan in case we can’t land Rodgers. And all of this is going to go down quickly within the next 5-7 days IMO.

Even though I’m not a huge fan of them, there’s no way that I buy Douglas and Saleh being so mind-numbingly inept as to expect some backup/fringe starter leading this team at QB.

At best, it’s Rodgers or Carr.

At worst, it’s Garoppolo/Tannehill. Either of which would still provide the best QB play we’ve seen from a Jet in many, many years.

Anything less and I laugh in the faces of anyone still defending Joe Douglas as some unbanishable deity based on one draft class in which he had 4 Top 36 picks, while ignoring the wealth of sh*t surrounding it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:

There is nothing like the beautiful NJ Turnpike in summer!

What’s funny and we all know this is that NJ actually has a lot to offer.  Yes, taxes are a huge negative and traffic could be a lot better in places.  People like to complain (and half that move away for greener pastures move back)

But..

The shore

Hills / mountains

Forests

NYC

Great food

Great education

History

Cool towns

Diversity

Many of us act like we live in the worst place.

New Jersey is the fourth-happiest state in the United States. New Jersey ranks second for Emotional & Physical Well-Being, including having the lowest adult depression rate and the country's lowest suicide rate. New Jersey also has the third-lowest divorce rate. Unfortunately, New Jersey does have the second-highest long-term unemployment rate.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1