Question on Rodgers Trade: 2023 draft pick if trade happens in June makes no sense

Am I missing something?!

1. GB most likely won’t trade Rodgers until June for cap reasons

2. Yet we are all mocking a premium 2023 draft pick for him.  The draft is in April

How is that possible unless trades can be agreed upon sooner but not made official until June?  The answer I got to this question yesterday was they cannot, which makes sense  because a team can not use a pick that it technically doesn’t own.  

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

So if the Packers want a pick this year, then they have to eat a bigger salary cap hit.

To be fair, it's likely a rebuild season for them, the cap hit may not matter as much as long as they can get draft capital

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

So if the Packers want a pick this year, then they have to eat a bigger salary cap hit.

From the Jets perspective I think it makes more sense for any potential high picks involved to be conditional so a 2024 pick that can escalate as high as a first rounder if we make the superbowl or something would make sense.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

If they trade Rodgers, they will have to eat $40 million if he’s traded before June 1. If they cut Rodgers, the dead cap will be 100 million. Obviously they will trade him prior to June 1 or keep him. 

Every source I have read says the trade would happen after June 1st due to cap implications.

That doesn’t seem to be aligned with getting a first round pick in 2023.

If they want a first round or any pick in 2023, the trade would happen before the draft and the $40M you reference would hit this year instead of being spread across 2 years.

30 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Not according to the Schefter

That would simply mean they believe a trade happens pre draft.  

So this narrative that Carr and Rodgers are on different time periods is simply not true, unless the Packers want to get 2024 draft compensation in return by waiting until June 1 for cap reasons.

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Then they restructure someone else - or >1 player if needed - and new signings to hit more next year instead.

It’s really not an issue. The name of the game is avoiding additional new payments, not worrying about easily-done restructures for payments they’re making anyway. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then they restructure someone else - or >1 player if needed - and new signings to hit more next year instead.

It’s really not an issue. The name of the game is avoiding additional new payments, not worrying about easily-done restructures for payments they’re making anyway. 

I view it the same way.  The point in bringing this topic up is that it highlights that this Rodgers thing might happen a lot sooner than the current narrative.

It also brings up how lazy some reporting is ..  Jets will trade 2 first round picks but need to wait until June.  Peter King

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There is 0% chance rodgers is coming to the Jets.  Give it up.

Well definitely not for the 13th pick.  If we’re giving up a first I would imagine JD is willing to trade a 2024 first.  I see mocks which have the jets trading a 2023 first, second, and a 24 first.  If GB is willing demanding that then I’d imagine Douglas will just laugh and hang up the phone.  We need to fix the oline otherwise it doesn’t t matter who the QB is 

• Upvote 1

GB will realise that draft pick compensation next year is going to be poorer than this year - not only with the 1 year wait, but the team trading for AR will more than likely draft later next year than this. (I know there are exceptions - hello Denver - but you don't trade a guy and assume his new team will suffer as a result).

So are they more precious about draft capital or cap space? Instinct says it's the draft capital. Plus there is the fan view to consider ... "hey we traded away a much loved player but just wait till we draft someone NEXT year and see how great it works out". They'll want an instant return on that front. 

• Upvote 1

One thing that doesn’t make sense to me is the Packers saying they will not deal him in the NFC. If they trade Rodgers, they are essentially rebuilding. So at that point why wouldn’t you try to trade him to the team that gives up the most assets even if it’s in the NFC. He’s only playing a couple more years anyways so it’s not like he’s going to haunt you for many years after.

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

GB will realise that draft pick compensation next year is going to be poorer than this year - not only with the 1 year wait, but the team trading for AR will more than likely draft later next year than this. (I know there are exceptions - hello Denver - but you don't trade a guy and assume his new team will suffer as a result).

So are they more precious about draft capital or cap space? Instinct says it's the draft capital. Plus there is the fan view to consider ... "hey we traded away a much loved player but just wait till we draft someone NEXT year and see how great it works out". They'll want an instant return on that front. 

I don't think the great franchises put much weight into the "fan view". Youre a jets fan, youre used to losing. this type of fan base may need that instant gratification, but the packers are not the jets. At the end of the day, if the team is winning, the fans are happy. Maybe you'll get some negative push back initially but that goes away fast. In addition to that, having a second first rounder in 24 may actually be more beneficial to the packers seeing that Jordan Love would be getting his shot to start in 23. If he fails miserably and the packers decide they need a QB, they would know in 2024, not 2023....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I don't think the great franchises put much weight into the "fan view". Youre a jets fan, youre used to losing. this type of fan base may need that instant gratification, but the packers are not the jets. At the end of the day, if the team is winning, the fans are happy. Maybe you'll get some negative push back initially but that goes away fast. In addition to that, having a second first rounder in 24 may actually be more beneficial to the packers seeing that Jordan Love would be getting his shot to start in 23. If he fails miserably and the packers decide they need a QB, they would know in 2024, not 2023....

Fair point, but that draft pick could be a big part towards helping Love be the guy in the first place. They could get a top WR / TE / OL to give him the best chance to succeed in 2023, rather than using the draft capital to replace him a year later.

• Upvote 2

If I was the Packers I think I'd prefer the 1st in '24, tbh.  Even with the risk of it being later than 13th overall....unless of course, they expect to get two 1sts, which is insane to me.

..but if they only get one, yeah, I'd aim for '24.  More ammo in a QB top-heavy draft in the event that Love sucks next season.  That would be my play, at least.  

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Why could the Jets not trade the 2023 1st pick to the Packers for a player to be named later (Rodgers) ?

This would of course be predicated on them coming to a deal first.

Does the NFL allow this? Happens in baseball all the time. It is just a procedural thing.

I've never seen anything as valuable as a 1st be dealt for a PTBNL.  Usually it's all throw-in trash.  Not sure how that would go over in baseball if, say the Mets traded their top prospect Alvarez for a PTBNL.  

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Why could the Jets not trade the 2023 1st pick to the Packers for a player to be named later (Rodgers) ?

This would of course be predicated on them coming to a deal first.

Does the NFL allow this? Happens in baseball all the time. It is just a procedural thing.

I’ve never seen it in the NFL.  Aren’t the players to be named later in baseball typically an afterthought?  

I’ve personally never seen a major trade in any sport where the major piece of the trade is ‘to be named later.’ 

10 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

If I was the Packers I think I'd prefer the 1st in '24, tbh.  Even with the risk of it being later than 13th overall....unless of course, they expect to get two 1sts, which is insane to me.

..but if they only get one, yeah, I'd aim for '24.  More ammo in a QB top-heavy draft in the event that Love sucks next season.  That would be my play, at least.  

I’m not so sure.  13th pick in this draft versus what might be the 25-32 pick in 2024.

Either help your young QB succeed OR trade #13 for a later first this year and next year.

More I think about this the more Im convinced the media is behind the 8 ball on this and this thing gets done by March 15th.

Rodgers in exchange for 2023 first round pick + conditional pick in 2024 tied to his playing a second year and possibly some performance goals.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’m not so sure.  13th pick in this draft versus what might be the 25-32 pick in 2024.

Either help your young QB succeed OR trade #13 for a later first this year and next year.

More I think about this the more Im convinced the media is behind the 8 ball on this and this thing gets done by March 15th.

Rodgers in exchange for 2023 first round pick + conditional pick in 2024 tied to his playing a second year and possibly some performance goals.  

Might be 25-32, sure.  Might be 15th though(where GB picks now WITH Rodgers).  Might be 5th overall(where SEA picks after trading Russell Wilson).  Based on how these big trades have gone lately, the odds of trading a future 1st coming back to bite us in the ass seems pretty high, and I wouldn't doubt if Green Bay sees it that way too.  I mean, just look at all these 1st rounders this year that were tied to QB trades:  SEA picking 5th, Detroit picking 6th, Houston picking 12th.  

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Rodgers said on McAfee that he is going on a weekend trip after his retreat and that he'd likely know by then. I'm thinking last few days of February/beginning of March Rodgers decides he is playing. Packers will move him quickly after that before FA starts.

You think Greenbay really wants to move him?

55 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

You think Greenbay really wants to move him?

I do, I think they are exhausted with the song and dance. The comment Rodgers made about conversations happening without him "being interesting" leads me to believe the Packers are exploring trades before he comes to a decision. 

I also think getting more in a trade for Rodgers than for Love may also play a factor.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1