2023 offensive tackle thread

maury77

I used to create these threads a few years ago to spur some conversation about the prospects. I elected breakdowns this year instead of just film so it will hopefully make the videos more accessible. 

I haven't started watching the film yet, but can you imagine lining up a healthy Becton and Dawand Jones at tackle? That would have to be the largest set of starting tackles in league history. 

• Upvote 4

I'm not big on Dawand or Wright.  

I'd be content with either of Johnson, Skoronski or Broderick.  Still would prefer to trade down though.  Something like dropping back to the 25 range, scooping up Schmitz early before anyone else can get him, take something like Henley and Rice in the 2nd, and get your project OT later on - 4th or 5th round.

There are some other OTs who interest me though, I guess if we don't go with Schmitz.  Guys like Steen and Mauch.  Both could probably be had in the 2nd round.  Mauch would probably slot in as a OG from day one but eventually could be moved to OT.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, maury77 said:

I used to create these threads a few years ago to spur some conversation about the prospects. I elected breakdowns this year instead of just film so it will hopefully make the videos more accessible. 

I haven't started watching the film yet, but can you imagine lining up a healthy Becton and Dawand Jones at tackle? That would have to be the largest set of starting tackles in league history. 

Love these threads

I dont want anything to do with Dawand or any of these guys who are 350+ lbs its just too much of a hassle keeping them healthy.  Of course their are outliers but for the most part, Id rather the guys who are 315-330 lbs at OT. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I'm not big on Dawand or Wright.  

I'd be content with either of Johnson, Skoronski or Broderick.  Still would prefer to trade down though.  Something like dropping back to the 25 range, scooping up Schmitz early before anyone else can get him, take something like Henley and Rice in the 2nd, and get your project OT later on - 4th or 5th round.

There are some other OTs who interest me though, I guess if we don't go with Schmitz.  Guys like Steen and Mauch.  Both could probably be had in the 2nd round.  Mauch would probably slot in as a OG from day one but eventually could be moved to OT.  

I'll do the interior OL separately. If you find videos on Steen and Mauch, please post them!

I’m curious how Anton Harrison gets viewed towards the end of this process. He’s kind of got a mid first to early third feeling range right now. I could see him working his way into the back end of the first range, maybe even higher. Would be cool if he was a trade down candidate. Seems like there are not a ton of left tackle prospects in this class.

Right now with the top three tackles it’s so questionable who might be there I’m not too locked in on figuring out who I like, although I’ll be curious to see how others think of them. Just kind of, if one happens to be there they’ll likely be in play. Kind of doubt two get there.

Then Dawand Jones and Wright are probably right tackles. Would be kind of nice if Mitchell can be the guy there. Wouldn’t preclude me from taking a guy, they could use someone, but I’d be a little bummed they went back to the well so quickly.

Curious what mid round projects emerge but it’s not too easy to develop a left tackle that far down. We’ll see how some of these guys move in a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

So I watched some of the tape on Broderick Jones since he keeps getting mocked to the Jets. 

Positives: Really good athlete that has all the tools to be a very good OT. Moves explosively, looks well built for a guy his size without a lot of belly to him. Aggressive as hell too. 

Negatives: His technique is kinda rough. He repeatedly lets the defender get into his chest and has a bad habit of lowering his head. This might be due to his relative lack of experience since he really only played the last 2 years I believe. 

If the Jets pick Jones, we are going to have to be patient because there might be a lot of rough reps his first year but he can hopefully turn into a very good OT. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, maury77 said:

So I watched some of the tape on Broderick Jones since he keeps getting mocked to the Jets. 

Positives: Really good athlete that has all the tools to be a very good OT. Moves explosively, looks well built for a guy his size without a lot of belly to him. Aggressive as hell too. 

Negatives: His technique is kinda rough. He repeatedly lets the defender get into his chest and has a bad habit of lowering his head. This might be due to his relative lack of experience since he really only played the last 2 years I believe. 

If the Jets pick Jones, we are going to have to be patient because there might be a lot of rough reps his first year but he can hopefully turn into a very good OT. 

My take on Jones, watching games not tape, has always been a far more advanced pass blocker than run blocker.  Not sure if you noticed that in your review, but the way the game has evolved, I would be okay with a pretty solid pass blocker who has to improve in the run game than the other way around.

• Upvote 2

Finally got around to watching Skoronski. Very different player than I expected.

Pros - He moves well and explodes out of his stance. Gets to the second level well. Very good awareness and knows how to position himself on blocks. 

Cons - The arm length issues have been documented but he looked weaker than I expected as well. Saw a couple of reps where he failed to hold his anchor and got pushed into the QB. I wonder if some of the hype around him is due to Slater coming out of the same school as a short armed OT prospect who has played very well in the NFL. 

I think Skoronski can be a very good guard in a wide zone system but I have my concerns about him in pass protection as a tackle. I think he's a little overrated and personally I prefer Jones as a prospect. 

• Upvote 4

Paris Johnson

Pros - ideal length and height and a very good athlete. Moves well in pass protection and in the run game. Nasty, aggressive demeanor. Typically does a pretty good job with his hand placement. Has played everywhere on the OL except center. 

Cons - Needs to add some strength to his game, but I'm not tremendously worried as he's only 310lbs at 6'6", so I think he can add some weight to that frame. Has some technique issues iwth ducking his head and oversetting at times in pass protection. 

Oout of the big 3, I'd rank them Johnson, Jones then Skoronski. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/24/2023 at 6:06 AM, maury77 said:

Finally got around to watching Skoronski. Very different player than I expected.

Pros - He moves well and explodes out of his stance. Gets to the second level well. Very good awareness and knows how to position himself on blocks. 

Cons - The arm length issues have been documented but he looked weaker than I expected as well. Saw a couple of reps where he failed to hold his anchor and got pushed into the QB. I wonder if some of the hype around him is due to Slater coming out of the same school as a short armed OT prospect who has played very well in the NFL. 

I think Skoronski can be a very good guard in a wide zone system but I have my concerns about him in pass protection as a tackle. I think he's a little overrated and personally I prefer Jones as a prospect. 

Thanks for the close evaluation. Not thinking this guy is a top LT prospect. Probably too early at #13 and not gonna be available in R2 for us. I am however reminded of the “too small and weak” negatives for Linderbaum, who had a very good year for the Ravens.

• Upvote 1

Anton Harrison

Pros - Very similar to Paris Johnson although I'm not sure that Harrison is as big as Johnson. Athletic in pass protection and in run blocking, decent play strength, long arms. 

Cons - Has some technique issues where he ducks his head at times and will occasionally stop moving his feet in pass protection once he engages the defender. I didn't see enough film on him to form an opinion on how he processes. 

I think Harrison is somewhat underrated by the internet. I want to see how he measures and tests at the combine, but he is a big, athletic prospect with pretty good technique that needs to get a little stronger. Oklahoma also has a strong history of producing tackles with Trent Williams, Lane Johnson and Orlando Brown. 

Depending on how Harrison does at the combine, he might be in play at 13 (I think @bitonti mentioned this elsewhere and I agree). 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, maury77 said:

Anton Harrison

Pros - Very similar to Paris Johnson although I'm not sure that Harrison is as big as Johnson. Athletic in pass protection and in run blocking, decent play strength, long arms. 

Cons - Has some technique issues where he ducks his head at times and will occasionally stop moving his feet in pass protection once he engages the defender. I didn't see enough film on him to form an opinion on how he processes. 

I think Harrison is somewhat underrated by the internet. I want to see how he measures and tests at the combine, but he is a big, athletic prospect with pretty good technique that needs to get a little stronger. Oklahoma also has a strong history of producing tackles with Trent Williams, Lane Johnson and Orlando Brown. 

Depending on how Harrison does at the combine, he might be in play at 13 (I think @bitonti mentioned this elsewhere and I agree). 

I see you have a Michael Penix Jr. pic.   All aboard the Penix train….Lol.  

• Upvote 1

Dawand Jones

Pros - This guy is Becton huge. 6'8" and arms like a condor. Unlike some of the other players I discussed above, Jones does not need to add strength as when he gets his hands on you, its generally over. Nasty temperment and plays through the whistle. You aren't going through him when he drops his anchor. 

Cons - He is not a "dancing bear". Looks sluggish in his pass drops and he's going to have trouble with speed rushers. I don't think this is a part of his game that will ever improve. Can get to the second level but pulling is not going to be one of his strengths. Lacks a little scheme versatility because I think he will be good in a gap scheme but will struggle in a zone blocking scheme and will always have some limitations in pass protection. 

• Upvote 1

Jaelyn Duncan is a 4 year starter out of Maryland. He's someone who may go in the 20s or fall to 2nd round. If we decide to go BPA @13 and draft a guy like Branch (S), Jalen Carter (DT) who may drop or just find a good trade back, then Duncan would be a great target with our 2nd pick. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

I'm doing Darnell Wright after this, then I'm ready for the next position. 

@OilfieldJet @BCJet @derp @Beerfish @Lith @Paradis @sec101row23 @section314 @win4ever @Chrebetfan80 what position do you guys want to do next?

dealers choice, i have been off the grid during clinic season but have talked to a lot of college and pro guys the past couple of weeks so ill try to add what I can. 

I would say ILB though would probably be the way to go.  I think we add one this offseason in the mid rounds.  Early rounds will be OL then probably a combo of S or ILB and some more DL help. 

The only thing with S that Im hesitant about is the FA S class is reallllly strong this year, I can see us adding a FS through FA instead of the draft. 

The way I understand it, Jets are looking to add a “blue chip” talent at T with G versatility.  Conveniently for us, Peter Skoronski, Broderick Jones, and Paris Johnson all fit that mold. Reason being: there’s a lot of uncertainty around Becton’s future — will he stay or will he go — and they think Max Mitchell can be a starter. End of the day you play your best 5, so if Mekhi were to bounce back and get tagged + Mitchell earns the RT job long-term, you would likely cut Tomlinson and play whoever they were to select this year at G instead. Conversely, maybe you move on from Becton and play that guy at LT long-term instead. There’s a lot of ways to puzzle the line together, so that versatility is going to be key.

Having been said, there are some other factors to consider: (1) Duane Brown sounding like he’ll be back, who they view as a starting caliber player; (2) they may not even have a 1st round pick. If this were to be the case, there are three particular high upside R2-R4 guys that one prominent Jets scout has done a ton of homework on this past year: Cody MauchBlake Freeland, Braeden Daniels, and Nick Saldiveri. 

• Upvote 1