2023 offensive tackle thread

maury77

On the safety front, I should stand corrected too, i have heard at least one name the jets are connected with at Safety as a name to watch. 

It may surprise some people as it will have to break the mold of what we've been envisioning in rd 1 but I have heard JD is particularly fond of Brian Branch

Darnell Wright

Pros - You immediately see many of the traits you read about in scouting reports. Really strong OL, a bully who is always looking to hit someone. Consistently gets his hand inside the defender. Good size. Very calm in pass protection and doesn't get flustered. Better athlete than I expected and he can handle the outside speed rush. 

Cons - I saw some processing issues when handling stunts. While he gets to the second level on gap plays, I didn't see any examples of him pulling so I'm not sure how good of a fit he is going to be as an OT in a wide zone scheme. 

My final rankings for OT (not OL) based on what I saw:

Johnson

Broderick Jones 

Harrison

Wright

Skoronski (I think he's a guard in the NFL and someowhat overrated in general)

Dawand Jones

LBs are next. Hopefully I can find some decent film. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 8:12 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

On the safety front, I should stand corrected too, i have heard at least one name the jets are connected with at Safety as a name to watch. 

It may surprise some people as it will have to break the mold of what we've been envisioning in rd 1 but I have heard JD is particularly fond of Brian Branch

Not at 13 though….right? I mean I get it, after watching last years safeties between Joyner and Whitehead fumbling and bumbling all over the place. It’s hard not to wanna just go get a stud in the draft. Very unsexy though. 

12 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Not at 13 though….right? I mean I get it, after watching last years safeties between Joyner and Whitehead fumbling and bumbling all over the place. It’s hard not to wanna just go get a stud in the draft. Very unsexy though. 

Im not sure, I think he would be more of a candidate if we trade down, but I still think they would look to take an OL in the first round this year.  I am just saying if for some reason Branch were to fall to rd 2?  and we somehow had multiple seconds or recouped a third in a trade down, I woudlnt be surprised if we traded up to grab him. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2023 at 8:12 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

Safety is such a funny position draft wise. When you’re making early picks on one hand you want a guy at a premium position because it saves you money on the cap, but I think on the other hand you also want a guy who can stick around for a while and provide some longevity.

Safety kind of falls into the latter but not the former and while they don’t break the bank contract wise, an elite one can make a huge impact for a long time. I also think of JD coming from the Ravens and that organization has historically valued the position. Other good organizations do too - thinking the Steelers.

I do think if you’re taking a guy early he needs to have some cover skills instead of being a pure box guy, and the Bama nickel to S pipeline has been pretty good. Branch didn’t test well so I feel like he belongs in the 20’s, but it makes sense on a lot of levels. Also in a scenario that they’re going for it, S is a spot where they could get an immediate impact.

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2023 at 6:36 AM, maury77 said:

I used to create these threads a few years ago to spur some conversation about the prospects. I elected breakdowns this year instead of just film so it will hopefully make the videos more accessible. 

I haven't started watching the film yet, but can you imagine lining up a healthy Becton and Dawand Jones at tackle? That would have to be the largest set of starting tackles in league history. 

Wasn't there another giant OT last year?  I think his name was Daniel Faalele.  Anyone know how he did?

4 hours ago, derp said:

Safety is such a funny position draft wise. When you’re making early picks on one hand you want a guy at a premium position because it saves you money on the cap, but I think on the other hand you also want a guy who can stick around for a while and provide some longevity.

Safety kind of falls into the latter but not the former and while they don’t break the bank contract wise, an elite one can make a huge impact for a long time. I also think of JD coming from the Ravens and that organization has historically valued the position. Other good organizations do too - thinking the Steelers.

I do think if you’re taking a guy early he needs to have some cover skills instead of being a pure box guy, and the Bama nickel to S pipeline has been pretty good. Branch didn’t test well so I feel like he belongs in the 20’s, but it makes sense on a lot of levels. Also in a scenario that they’re going for it, S is a spot where they could get an immediate impact.

if we trade down i think theres a chance that if there are no OL available we like and now DL we like he could be the pick if we couldnt move back even more.  

I had just heard Douglas was very high on him and liked him ALOT. so we'll see how that pans out. 

23 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

if we trade down i think theres a chance that if there are no OL available we like and now DL we like he could be the pick if we couldnt move back even more.  

I had just heard Douglas was very high on him and liked him ALOT. so we'll see how that pans out. 

Curious who sticks. I wonder how big the difference is between Anton Harrison and Braxton Jones/Paris Johnson for this team. None guaranteed to be ready early, possible none need to be. Same with like Van Ness as a rotational end day one versus Cancey as a sub package interior rusher.

Also realize they aren’t going WR but with Hardman on a one year deal and Moore gone JSN would slot in very nicely long term if they move back to the 20’s.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Curious who sticks. I wonder how big the difference is between Anton Harrison and Braxton Jones/Paris Johnson for this team. None guaranteed to be ready early, possible none need to be. Same with like Van Ness as a rotational end day one versus Cancey as a sub package interior rusher.

Also realize they aren’t going WR but with Hardman on a one year deal and Moore gone JSN would slot in very nicely long term if they move back to the 20’s.

I have no idea.  I think they are ultimately trying to bring in enough vets and 1 year deals where they can draft guys, have them sit and develop if need be and be ready to rock and roll next year full time.  I could definitely see a DL stuffed in the early rounds as well as 1-2 OL.  Trading down I think this is where we end up going more on the defensive side though as I am not sure a T will be available that we like.  

JSN would be a nice get for the offense for sure, he definitely fits what we're doing here, but he'll be gone before the 20s for sure. 

ALSO: a late round guy that I like a flyer on at LB. Daiyan Henley.  There are better guys out there that may be able to go late, but I like his upside. Only 3 full years at the position, but the kids got talent, he can cover really well, has the size saleh likes, and is very athletic.  I think he's gonna drop because he's 24 years old already but hes a guy you can take in rd 5 and feel really good about him being a key special teamer for a number of years at worst and hopefully developing with good coaching into a solid LB. 

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I have no idea.  I think they are ultimately trying to bring in enough vets and 1 year deals where they can draft guys, have them sit and develop if need be and be ready to rock and roll next year full time.  I could definitely see a DL stuffed in the early rounds as well as 1-2 OL.  Trading down I think this is where we end up going more on the defensive side though as I am not sure a T will be available that we like.  

JSN would be a nice get for the offense for sure, he definitely fits what we're doing here, but he'll be gone before the 20s for sure. 

ALSO: a late round guy that I like a flyer on at LB. Daiyan Henley.  There are better guys out there that may be able to go late, but I like his upside. Only 3 full years at the position, but the kids got talent, he can cover really well, has the size saleh likes, and is very athletic.  I think he's gonna drop because he's 24 years old already but hes a guy you can take in rd 5 and feel really good about him being a key special teamer for a number of years at worst and hopefully developing with good coaching into a solid LB. 

Henley in round 5 would be an absolute steal. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This theory has been making the rounds they wouldn't take an ot at 13 because with Becton and brown, max at OT 3

that player might not play right away 

It's not what I would do

but anyone else think d seems high on his own supply and thinks tackle is fine? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

This theory has been making the rounds they wouldn't take an ot at 13 because with Becton and brown, max at OT 3

that player might not play right away 

It's not what I would do

but anyone else think d seems high on his own supply and thinks tackle is fine? 

Is the theory making the rounds because I’m posting it all over the board?

I don’t think they *won’t*. But they’re clearly going for it if they trade for Rodgers, I don’t see a guy at 13 I’m confident would be a day one starting LT, and tackles don’t rotate so if the guy doesn’t start and others stay healthy a high pick was spent on a guy who’s not contributing to a win now team. 

If I was focused on this year’s team I’d add tackle depth with an athletic guy I could develop behind Duane Brown, I’d just do it day two with an Anton Harrison or Blake Freeland. And I’d use the first to add a DL or a WR who could get rotational snaps this year while filling a long term role at a premium position going forward.

Also you absolutely don’t make decisions based on Aaron Rodgers, but presumably they sold him on their vision for the team. He’s been outspoken about draft positions and they’re trying to hang on to the 13th pick in negotiations. Do we think he’s fired up about the idea of them using that pick on tackle depth?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, derp said:

Is the theory making the rounds because I’m posting it all over the board?

I don’t think they *won’t*. But they’re clearly going for it if they trade for Rodgers, I don’t see a guy at 13 I’m confident would be a day one starting LT, and tackles don’t rotate so if the guy doesn’t start and others stay healthy a high pick was spent on a guy who’s not contributing to a win now team. 

If I was focused on this year’s team I’d add tackle depth with an athletic guy I could develop behind Duane Brown, I’d just do it day two with an Anton Harrison or Blake Freeland. And I’d use the first to add a DL or a WR who could get rotational snaps this year while filling a long term role at a premium position going forward.

Also you absolutely don’t make decisions based on Aaron Rodgers, but presumably they sold him on their vision for the team. He’s been outspoken about draft positions and they’re trying to hang on to the 13th pick in negotiations. Do we think he’s fired up about the idea of them using that pick on tackle depth?

Not to bring the other discussion up from last thread to this one, but... 

How would a rookie WR fit into this year's plan with Aaron Rodgers - who has made it abundantly clear his feelings working with rookie WRs - contribute to this team? Garrett Wilson, Allen Lazard, Mecole Hardman are all guaranteed their spots on the roster. They will probably add Odell Beckham (if not it'll be another veteran WR or Davis).  Randall Cobb will eventually sign. Denzel Mims could still make the team- but in a world were they drafted a 1st round WR he would certainly be traded. CJ Uzomah and Tyler Conklin are locked into their roles and Jeremy Ruckert should see an uptick in usage in his second year under Hackett. They also have Breece Hall, Michael Carter, and Zonovan Knight - all active in the pass game... yet you're suggesting that a WR would be a more significant piece because they may get a handful of snaps a game over an OT, backup/swing or not? An argument can absolutely be made for a DL. If the Jets consider Kancey a blue-chip prospect and he's higher on their board than any OT by a wide margin they should absolutely submit that card, but WR? Please. 

And yes: Rodgers wants all the OL. If it were up to him he would have the Jets select a 3rd string C over a starting DL lol... sarcasm aside, he understands the need for competition in the line. Time and time again he's stressed how important offensive line depth is to him, often going out of his way to praise the backups on McAfee and in press conferences. EOD I'm absolutely sure that he will care less who their first-round pick is as long as it's not a QB, but would be thrilled if it were a pass protector. 

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Not to bring the other discussion up from last thread to this one, but... 

How would a rookie WR fit into this year's plan with Aaron Rodgers - who has made it abundantly clear his feelings working with rookie WRs - contribute to this team? Garrett Wilson, Allen Lazard, Mecole Hardman are all guaranteed their spots on the roster. They will probably add Odell Beckham (if not it'll be another veteran WR or Davis).  Randall Cobb will eventually sign. Denzel Mims could still make the team- but in a world were they drafted a 1st round WR he would certainly be traded. CJ Uzomah and Tyler Conklin are locked into their roles and Jeremy Ruckert should see an uptick in usage in his second year under Hackett. They also have Breece Hall, Michael Carter, and Zonovan Knight - all active in the pass game... yet you're suggesting that a WR would be a more significant piece because they may get a handful of snaps a game over an OT, backup/swing or not? An argument can absolutely be made for a DL. If the Jets consider Kancey a blue-chip prospect and he's higher on their board than any OT by a wide margin they should absolutely submit that card, but WR? Please. 

And yes: Rodgers wants all the OL. If it were up to him he would have the Jets select a 3rd string C over a starting DL lol... sarcasm aside, he understands the need for competition in the line. Time and time again he's stressed how important offensive line depth is to him, often going out of his way to praise the backups on McAfee and in press conferences. EOD I'm absolutely sure that he will care less who their first-round pick is as long as it's not a QB, but would be thrilled if it were a pass protector. 

Range of outcomes for a WR is tighter than it is for a tackle. Tackle is binary - plays a lot or doesn’t play at all - WR almost definitely falls somewhere in the middle. Both are longer term needs. And I think a player like JSN is more polished than any of the tackles who are actually tackles in this class and more likely to make an impact, which played into my comment. But to your point, WR was really just a throw in so I wasn’t just talking about DL - DL makes more sense to me than tackle or WR.

Can add offensive line depth without doing it at 13. Certainly can do it at WR as well. I think DL makes the most sense at 13 from an immediate impact standpoint, but I do like JSN as a rookie more than the tackles. Skoronski would be different if they had an iOL slot for him.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/story/_/id/36109804/2023-nfl-draft-louis-riddick-favorite-prospects-class-sleepers-watch-cj-stroud-jahmyr-gibbs-darnell-wright

DARNELL WRIGHT - he may be the pick at 13

Riddick’s take

2633.png&h=110&w=110

Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

Wright's move from left tackle to right tackle in 2022 might have turned a good college football player into a top-15 overall draft pick. And to take it a step further, his size, speed, aggressiveness and physical style put him in consideration to end up the best overall player of this draft class when it's all said and done. I believe Wright will be an All-Pro within his first three seasons. He has that much potential.

He's a mountain of a man, too. At 6-foot-5 and 333 pounds, he can dominate in the run game, moving defenders off the ball. And as a pass protector, Wright has the footspeed to handle finesse rushers and the strength to anchor against bull rushers. He's an eraser. The NFL team that drafts him can pencil him in at right tackle from day one (though he can play both sides).

Dane Brugler and Brandon Thorn did a podcast on the OL. Just two peoples’ opinions, but the highlights for the top guys:

-If you want a day one starting LT, Paris Johnson is the best bet. That said, they thought he was a Christian Darrisaw level prospect, worse than the top tackles in the past two drafts. Play strength was a concern.

-Unsurprisingly Darnell Wright was that guy for RT. Not sure if he looked so much better at RT than LT because of development or comfort on the right, but left side is a gamble. Didn’t think game agility and combine speed matched and he did duck agility drills.

-Broderick Jones has the highest upside in the draft at tackle - top 5-7 T in the NFL level. Sloppy early in the year last year but improved a lot as the year went on, great in space.

-Skoronski is awesome but the arm length is a concern. Would you prefer an elite guard or an average tackle was basically the question. Strikes me as similar to what the Jets have in AVT.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, derp said:

Dane Brugler and Brandon Thorn did a podcast on the OL. Just two peoples’ opinions, but the highlights for the top guys:

-If you want a day one starting LT, Paris Johnson is the best bet. That said, they thought he was a Christian Darrisaw level prospect, worse than the top tackles in the past two drafts. Play strength was a concern.

-Unsurprisingly Darnell Wright was that guy for RT. Not sure if he looked so much better at RT than LT because of development or comfort on the right, but left side is a gamble. Didn’t think game agility and combine speed matched and he did duck agility drills.

-Broderick Jones has the highest upside in the draft at tackle - top 5-7 T in the NFL level. Sloppy early in the year last year but improved a lot as the year went on, great in space.

-Skoronski is awesome but the arm length is a concern. Would you prefer an elite guard or an average tackle was basically the question. Strikes me as similar to what the Jets have in AVT.

IMO - a high 1st round draft choice is always suppose to look like a man playing with boys in his final year.  I looked at some Skoronski and didnt see that.  Also, Northwestern went 1-11 blown out a lot of games where offense score 3 points in some,  Now I know it takes 22 players for teams to be good but why weren't they more successful (at least a little bit) with future high 1st rounder in one of the most important positions.

Overall, the whole "1st round prospects" look weak.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

IMO - a high 1st round draft choice is always suppose to look like a man playing with boys in his final year.  I looked at some Skoronski and didnt see that.  Also, Northwestern went 1-11 blown out a lot of games where offense score 3 points in some,  Now I know it takes 22 players for teams to be good but why weren't they more successful (at least a little bit) with future high 1st rounder in one of the most important positions.

Overall, the whole "1st round prospects" look weak.

I just don’t think Skoronski fits that well. Granted, I am not actually a scout and don’t have the time to dig into watching guys. But I completely buy into the idea that the most likely scenario is he’s an excellent guard and an average tackle. That’s really valuable if he can be a starting level third tackle in case of emergency and provide high end guard play if not.

In that case you just need to beef up your iOL depth since unless the first two injuries are to tackles, the first two guys off the bench will be iOL. Coincidentally or not, the Jets added two veteran swing iOL in free agency this year. Could also be just wanting good insurance if they can’t draft a center they like.

Anyway, just think when you’ve got one of those guys it’s not as valuable to have the second. Maybe Skoronski is an exception and ends up being a high end tackle. I think that’s a better gamble to make if you have a spot at guard - the Jets don’t.

• Upvote 1

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

Ohio State LT Paris Johnson is in Philly for a pre-draft visit with the #Eagles today and then heads up to see the #Jets tonight and tomorrow, sources say. He also visited the #AZCardinals last week. Lots of possible fits in the top 10-15 for the talented, well-rounded prospect.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...