Godell and Commanders hire Bienemy as OC

section314

3 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Well, I got four different answers...thanks guys...lol.  So, I'm more confused now than ever.

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

His contract expired after the SB. 

Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 10:44 PM

Offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy returning to Chiefs on one-year deal

The offensive coordinator is returning to the Chiefs on a new one-year deal, NFL Network's Jeffri Chadiha and Tom Pelissero reported.

It will be the 52-year-old Bienemy's fifth season as the Chiefs' offensive coordinator. His contract had previously expired after signing a one-year deal in 2021, as well.

Bieniemy's new deal is the shortest possible term, which could prove beneficial for the coordinator. 

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/offensive-coordinator-eric-bieniemy-returning-to-chiefs-on-one-year-deal

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Bienemy needs to make this move if he ever wants a hc position.  Under reid and w/ Mahomes, he is just not getting any credit for the chief's offensive success.  If he takes this redskins offense and makes it a top 10 unit, he will then be hired as a head coach.

It will be a tall task. There's going to be a drop off going from Mahomes to... Sam Howell? Taylor Heineken? But if he does it he will almost certainly get hired. Eyes will be on how well the Chiefs offense does without him too. I bet even if the redskins have only a top 15 offense under him, if the Chiefs drop a bit he might still be able to make a case.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Hex said:

It will be a tall task. There's going to be a drop off going from Mahomes to... Sam Howell? Taylor Heineken? But if he does it he will almost certainly get hired. Eyes will be on how well the Chiefs offense does without him too. I bet even if the redskins have only a top 15 offense under him, if the Chiefs drop a bit he might still be able to make a case.

It's still a move he has to make. The reality is Reid calls the plays, and he has the game's best QB at his disposal to make gainers (or even big gainers) out of totally broken plays, so he's going to have a tough time convincing teams he's the brains behind the operation & can do the same elsewhere. Past off-field indiscretions also did him no favors.

He has this opportunity to shut up doubters. Hopefully he does; Washington is of no concern to the Jets & I like seeing people succeed.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Bienemy needs to make this move if he ever wants a hc position.  Under reid and w/ Mahomes, he is just not getting any credit for the chief's offensive success.  If he takes this redskins offense and makes it a top 10 unit, he will then be hired as a head coach.

Basically what’s going on.  Bienemy sees himself getting passed over for clowns like Gase, McDaniels and Hackett.  He has to do something 

12 hours ago, Hex said:

Heineken and Howell would have been the best qb on our roster by far last season 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Agreed, he should’ve tried to make a move like this before now.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's this.

Absent his contract being up, a promotion to the same title plus also getting an Asst HC title is not considered a real promotion; in terms of NFL coaching contracts it's still considered a lateral move.

maybe by them calling him asst HC he's going to have full control over the offense

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

maybe by them calling him asst HC he's going to have full control over the offense

I think it's just a function of running the offense himself plus not having Reid to bounce things off in real-time, and Mahomes to cover up so many otherwise-failed play calls & more.

Good for him if he rises to the challenge. 

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He needed to make move, not sure he necessarily needed to go to the Commanders. We’ll see if this one works out, but not a great situation. Good for him if he earns himself a HC job though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 12:00 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

It's still a move he has to make. The reality is Reid calls the plays, and he has the game's best QB at his disposal to make gainers (or even big gainers) out of totally broken plays, so he's going to have a tough time convincing teams he's the brains behind the operation & can do the same elsewhere. Past off-field indiscretions also did him no favors.

He has this opportunity to shut up doubters. Hopefully he does; Washington is of no concern to the Jets & I like seeing people succeed.

yup i hope he does well, but he has to show he can call plays. look at us with Herm,, he was DB coach for gods sake on a team where Dungy was HC and Monte Kiffin the DC. Herm was basically just asked to spell defense on way getting coffee for staff every morning.

To this day maybe dumbest hire ever. A NEVER been coordinator on a team where the HC and DC were considered Defense whizzes. He was DB coach..Swell job Woody.

Mangini same thing , he didnt call D plays in New England.

• Upvote 1