So, what's the issue with Matt Snell?

No one seems to know and he won't say.  He has stayed away from the Jets organization for over 30 years now...inducted into the Jets ring of honor and didn't attend.  Personally, he should have been named co-MVP during SB III...rushed for over 120 yards and scored the Jets only TD.  It's a shame because he probably scored the Jets most important TD in their history and yet won't have anything to do with them for some unknown reason.  Someone on here sent me a signed picture of Snell scoring that TD and I proudly hang it on my office wall.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

No one seems to know and he won't say.  He has stayed away from the Jets organization for over 30 years now...inducted into the Jets ring of honor and didn't attend.  Personally, he should have been named co-MVP during SB III...rushed for over 120 yards and scored the Jets only TD.  It's a shame because he probably scored the Jets most important TD in their history and yet won't have anything to do with them for some unknown reason.  Someone on here sent me a signed picture of Snell scoring that TD and I proudly hang it on my office wall.

No clue. Weird?

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Agree he should have been the MVP, but I’ll be honest. I could care less about his relationship with the Jets.

Does that make me a bad person?

Hell no, but with very little really good players in our history, I just hate the fact that this guy is on the outside looking in...or maybe his disdain for the organization is so much that he's probably not looking in at all. 

• Upvote 1

Funny to think that not only did active NFL players need to work different jobs in the off-season to supplement their incomes but that retired greats would need to interview and require recommendations to get a construction job.  You'd think someone in business would value having a name brand to network with fans of the team.  They've come a long ways...   

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Super Bowl III great reveals his decades-old grudge against Jets

The Matt Snell mystery is solved, why one of the greatest Jets of all time, one of the heroes of their only Super Bowl championship, wants nothing to do with the franchise.

It revolved around the team’s former owners refusing to write him a letter of recommendation for a construction job after his playing days were over. At least, that’s the 77-year-old Snell’s version of his grudge according to excerpts from the Bob Lederer book, “Beyond Broadway Joe: The Super Bowl Team That Changed Football that were published by Deadspin.

In the book, Snell — the team’s fourth all-time leading rusher (4,285 yards) who scored the only touchdown and ran for 121 yards in Super Bowl III — says part-owner Sonny Werblin promised him if the Jets won a championship, he would have a place with the team for life. But others in the organization didn’t follow through on the promise when Werblin was bought out of his stake in the team.

“I don’t know if Sonny ever communicated what he had promised me to the other owners. I know there were people around the organization that were not happy that Sonny and I were friends, and some of them jumped on the opportunity to say bad things about me when Sonny was gone,” Snell said. “It may be that no one in Jets management knew about Sonny’s promises to me, but in 1974, there was a recession and I was in line for a construction job. I asked the Jets for a reference. They told me they didn’t do that for players. They said they couldn’t do it! Can you believe that? I can’t prove it, but I don’t think any of that would have ever happened if Sonny were in charge. That’s why I don’t get along with the organization now.”

As chronicled by The Post’s Brian Costello three years ago, Snell hasn’t let his hard feelings cease, although everyone who was in power of the team at the time are dead. The team has tried to mend the relationship, inviting him to reunions for the 1968 team and other alumni functions, but he has not returned any phone calls. Now we know why.

What a little bitch. 

I understand being slighted by the people at the time and holding a grudge against them, fine, I can relate. 

But decades later against an organization that had virtually nothing to do with what happened then? Eat a dick. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I am not positive but do remember hearing that when he was finished playing, he was promised something in the org and the NYJ **** him over,,,so he said FU and walked away. 

• Upvote 1

His grudge is sad and really his loss.

Fans that appreciated his contribution and would shower him with affection for what he did, had nothing to do with that age old snub. His teammates that he would get to see on occasion in later years had nothing to do with the snub.

But to each his own.

1 minute ago, SoFlaJets said:

uh...no

Penthouse magazines purloined from dad’s collection and hidden under the rotten log in the woods was the go to but that news always travelled fast and invariably some dbag always took it for himself after a couple days.

5 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

The Matt Snell mystery is solved, why one of the greatest Jets of all time, one of the heroes of their only Super Bowl championship, wants nothing to do with the franchise.

It revolved around the team’s former owners refusing to write him a letter of recommendation for a construction job after his playing days were over. At least, that’s the 77-year-old Snell’s version of his grudge according to excerpts from the Bob Lederer book, “Beyond Broadway Joe: The Super Bowl Team That Changed Football that were published by Deadspin.

In the book, Snell — the team’s fourth all-time leading rusher (4,285 yards) who scored the only touchdown and ran for 121 yards in Super Bowl III — says part-owner Sonny Werblin promised him if the Jets won a championship, he would have a place with the team for life. But others in the organization didn’t follow through on the promise when Werblin was bought out of his stake in the team.

“I don’t know if Sonny ever communicated what he had promised me to the other owners. I know there were people around the organization that were not happy that Sonny and I were friends, and some of them jumped on the opportunity to say bad things about me when Sonny was gone,” Snell said. “It may be that no one in Jets management knew about Sonny’s promises to me, but in 1974, there was a recession and I was in line for a construction job. I asked the Jets for a reference. They told me they didn’t do that for players. They said they couldn’t do it! Can you believe that? I can’t prove it, but I don’t think any of that would have ever happened if Sonny were in charge. That’s why I don’t get along with the organization now.”

As chronicled by The Post’s Brian Costello three years ago, Snell hasn’t let his hard feelings cease, although everyone who was in power of the team at the time are dead. The team has tried to mend the relationship, inviting him to reunions for the 1968 team and other alumni functions, but he has not returned any phone calls. Now we know why.

Snell comes off like a f*cking child.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jgb said:

Penthouse magazines purloined from dad’s collection and hidden under the rotten log in the woods was the go to but that news always travelled fast and invariably some dbag always took it for himself after a couple days.

Speaking of hiding them in the woods we hit the motherlode one day when a whole stack showed up in a pile in a wooded area near the Little Leage field. The funny thing about it though was finding WHO dumped his stash there by seeing his name and address printed on a page that he was going to send away for something in the back of one of the magazines. It was the big brother of a guy in my class.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Speaking of hiding them in the woods we hit the motherlode one day when a whole stack showed up in a pile in a wooded area near the Little Leage field. The funny thing about it though was finding WHO dumped his stash there by seeing his name and address printed on a page that he was going to send away for something in the back of one of the magazines. It was the big brother of a guy in my class.

My brother and I used to raid the recycling center and climb into the magazine dumpster and go hunting. We found a mother lode of the trashiest magazines you could imagine. Like heavyset naked amateur biker chicks 50 years old, etc. So as a goof we removed the most ridiculous, horrible pages and stuffed them into an envelope that we labeled “The Smut File.” My dad found it and felt so sorry for us if that’s was the only crap we could get our hands on and bought us a bunch of playboys and made us promise not to tell mom. Much more innocent times.

• Haha 1

How petty of the Jets at the time to not help him out. I actually don't blame him for not wanting the team to make money on him when they possibly prevented him from making a living at the time. We all know these guys were underplayed during their playing days.

Too bad this hasn't been resolved, he is a Jets legend.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jetswin said:

How petty of the Jets at the time to not help him out. I actually don't blame him for not wanting the team to make money on him when they possibly prevented him from making a living at the time. We all know these guys were underplayed during their playing days.

Too bad this hasn't been resolved, he is a Jets legend.

You know I guarantee that Woody has no idea that this happened to Matt Snell and after I Tweet this over to him, I wouldn't be surprised that he does something about it-that is IF he actually reads the Tweets that are sent to him.

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2023 at 1:17 PM, ChewyandtheJets said:

Funny to think that not only did active NFL players need to work different jobs in the off-season to supplement their incomes but that retired greats would need to interview and require recommendations to get a construction job.  You'd think someone in business would value having a name brand to network with fans of the team.  They've come a long ways...   

Randy Beverley had two interceptions in the Jets SB win.  After football he worked as a car salesman at Ed DiBenedetto  Buick in Bayside NY. 

On 2/18/2023 at 12:24 PM, Green Ghost said:

Agree he should have been the MVP, but I’ll be honest. I could care less about his relationship with the Jets.

Does that make me a bad person?

No....but it's always nice/better when a teams greatest players remain friendly with the team.

For :goodfeels: if nothing else.

• Upvote 1

The story is that Snell was promised a job by the Jets when his playing days ended in the 70s, but the Werblin/Hess consortium stiffed him.  Hard to assess how true that is.  Either way, it's been 50 years and not even Emerson Boozer or Joe Namath have been able to melt the old grump out of his grudge.  Some guys just want to be mad.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:13 PM, ChewyandtheJets said:

The worst thing that ever happened to the Jets was Leon and his band of bumbling boobs pushing me out of the ownership group.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

The story is that Snell was promised a job by the Jets when his playing days ended in the 70s, but the Werblin/Hess consortium stiffed him.  Hard to assess how true that is.  Either way, it's been 50 years and not even Emerson Boozer or Joe Namath have been able to melt the old grump out of his grudge.  Some guys just want to be mad.

Hey, I was forced out in 1968. Don't lay this crap on me! It was all dopey ass Leon Hess!

Too bad Leon didn't own a business interest outside of the Jets to allow him to help get a job for Snell.

• Haha 1