Let's talk about pizza...

Bronx

What you got?

imagejpeg_0.thumb.jpg.7f862877bdf04b7ba2494efef8811b7b.jpg

Cauliflower dough with bacon, smoked turkey, pork chop, spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms, 6 cheeses (manchego, apple smoke gouda, goat, muenster, swiss), cilantro with keto-friendly homemade sauce (includes avocado oil, gochuang and other natural ingredients). 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 5

8 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I come from CT - home of the best pizza on earth, and also pretty close to NYC which had some decent pizza. Lived there for the first 35ish years of my life and had a blast.

7 months ago, my wife and I moved to Texas. I haven’t had great pizza in 7 months. It’s got me reconsidering everything.

It doesn't exist out here. 

There's some decent stuff, but nothing like the northeast.   I did find an actual good bagel place, run by a guy from CT. 

8 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I come from CT - home of the best pizza on earth, and also pretty close to NYC which had some decent pizza. Lived there for the first 35ish years of my life and had a blast.

7 months ago, my wife and I moved to Texas. I haven’t had great pizza in 7 months. It’s got me reconsidering everything.

If you are close to the Dallas area, check out this guy.

https://jimmysfoodstore.com/

On 2/19/2023 at 9:10 AM, Bronx said:

What you got?

Cauliflower dough with bacon, smoked turkey, pork chop, spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms, 6 cheeses (manchego, apple smoke gouda, goat, muenster, swiss), cilantro with keto-friendly homemade sauce (includes avocado oil, gochuang and other natural ingredients). 

Too many veggies ; need a meat lovers

meat-lovers.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

There's some decent stuff, but nothing like the northeast.   I did find an actual good bagel place, run by a guy from CT. 

??? Where? I’d say I actually miss real bagels more than I miss good pizza. The only place we like so far is Shugs but it’s legit 40 mins from our house.

10 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I moved to Florida a while back and thought I was gonna have this problem....pizza and bagels much better than expected around here the only thing I really miss is a bacon, egg, and cheese.

53 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

??? Where? I’d say I actually miss real bagels more than I miss good pizza. The only place we like so far is Shugs but it’s legit 40 mins from our house.

Dan's Bagels in Trophy Club.

Super nice guy, I buy a dozen at a time, freeze some and just eat.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, undertow said:

I moved to Florida a while back and thought I was gonna have this problem....pizza and bagels much better than expected around here the only thing I really miss is a bacon, egg, and cheese.

I don’t find the BEC too hard to find. Easy to make too.

1 hour ago, undertow said:

My brother in law and his wife and daughter moved to Tampa in 2018 so I’ve been there a bunch over the last few years. It’s essentially New York south out there; we were able to find good bagels and pizza relatively easily. If you’re out by St Pete’s, go to Colony Pizza. That’s a CT original. Grew up on it.

With Texas being more CA/Chi transplants, bagels and northeast pizza is very hard to find.

On 2/20/2023 at 2:23 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

My brother in law and his wife and daughter moved to Tampa in 2018 so I’ve been there a bunch over the last few years. It’s essentially New York south out there; we were able to find good bagels and pizza relatively easily. If you’re out by St Pete’s, go to Colony Pizza. That’s a CT original. Grew up on it.

With Texas being more CA/Chi transplants, bagels and northeast pizza is very hard to find.

There is a Colony Pizza in Tampa now too. We moved before we could try it though. On the east coast it’s even easier to find NY food etc. it’s everywhere, unfortunately carbs hit different as you get older. 

What you got?

1) This is not a pizza

2) foh

3) blocked

4) reported

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/20/2023 at 2:10 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Gotta agree with this, and unpopular opinion here but NY is third to CT and NJ. New Haven pizza is the best on the planet, beats Naples itself into the ground. 

I had Lucali a few months ago and it's good but I can't think of a more overrated slice ever. It's also impossible to get in and the employees are legitimately horrible to customers because the demand allows them to be. 

You can definitely find good Neopolitan style pies anywhere in the country, but Northeastern style pies? Bar pies? No chance. Hard to find even an average slice outside this area. Northeastern ovens just hit different. Natives think it's the water, and some of that may be, but IMO it's the ovens. For example DeLucia's in Raritan uses an oven that's over 100 years old. Lombardi's in NY was built when, like 1905? Hard to replicate that type of seasoning, and I think that's why Neopolitan pies are generally what the best pizza joints in most other areas of the country serve. 

Pizzeria y mozzarella in Rome, a few feet away from the Pantheon. 

Best Pizza in Rome (Roman Style, not Neapolitan), possibly the world.

Many Pics on TripAdvisor, place is tiny, but Owner is cool and his pizza amazing, blew away almost anything from the U.S., including most New York Pizza IMO.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d4437197-Reviews-Pizza_E_Mozzarella-Rome_Lazio.html

Pics don't do it justice tbqh.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:00 AM, chirorob said:

It goes all ways. The BBQ places in the Northeast can't hold a candle to the stuff you get out in Austin or Dallas/FW. I was out in Dallas last year and a buddy took me to Panther City, hard to just replicate that kind of stuff anywhere because of the fundamental traditions and knowledge passed down for so long. Tough cuisine to just nail down at that level.

Or go to New Mexico and order some rellenos. Not even remotely the same thing as what you even get at the best spots in NJ.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Two types of people in this world with respect to food: Those who have been to Italy and those who have not. Best meal of your life is had at some random spot in Italy that you never even saw coming. Tops for me is a plate of squid ink with polenta that I stumbled upon in some random cafe in Venice one night. Or a Florentine steak in some random basement restaurant in Florence. Crazy country food wise. If you don't come back 20 pounds heavier you did it wrong.

Pretty on point, aye. 

Just avoid all the tourist-oriented places, lol, as they are uniformly poop.

But you're right, while I wouldn't get a big juicy bacon cheese burger in Italy per se, but what they do....they do at a level of perfection few others can even contemplate, much less replicate.  

Several meals there were literally life altering for a foodie like me.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Two types of people in this world with respect to food: Those who have been to Italy and those who have not. Best meal of your life is had at some random spot in Italy that you never even saw coming. Tops for me is a plate of squid ink with polenta that I stumbled upon in some random cafe in Venice one night. Or a Florentine steak in some random basement restaurant in Florence. Crazy country food wise. If you don't come back 20 pounds heavier you did it wrong.

This was my experience with wine. Didn't experience anything exceptional with food there but the wine ruined me. Can't be bothered to drink the garbage they sell here now.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This was my experience with wine. Didn't experience anything exceptional with food there but the wine ruined me. Can't be bothered to drink the garbage they sell here now.

I'm admittedly a liquor man, not a wine guy, but sipping a nice Barolo while crowd watching in Rome was a pretty great experience. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It goes all ways. The BBQ places in the Northeast can't hold a candle to the stuff you get out in Austin or Dallas/FW. I was out in Dallas last year and a buddy took me to Panther City, hard to just replicate that kind of stuff anywhere because of the fundamental traditions and knowledge passed down for so long. Tough cuisine to just nail down at that level.

Or go to New Mexico and order some rellenos. Not even remotely the same thing as what you even get at the best spots in NJ.

Most parts of the country have really good food, it's just local to the area.  I love the BBQ out here, I've gotten pretty decent at it.  You just tend to miss what you grew up with.

I also miss really good seafood.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Gotta agree with this, and unpopular opinion here but NY is third to CT and NJ. New Haven pizza is the best on the planet, beats Naples itself into the ground. 

I had Lucali a few months ago and it's good but I can't think of a more overrated slice ever. It's also impossible to get in and the employees are legitimately horrible to customers because the demand allows them to be. 

You can definitely find good Neopolitan style pies anywhere in the country, but Northeastern style pies? Bar pies? No chance. Hard to find even an average slice outside this area. Northeastern ovens just hit different. Natives think it's the water, and some of that may be, but IMO it's the ovens. For example DeLucia's in Raritan uses an oven that's over 100 years old. Lombardi's in NY was built when, like 1905? Hard to replicate that type of seasoning, and I think that's why Neopolitan pies are generally what the best pizza joints in most other areas of the country serve. 

OK, I'm stiff. 

• Haha 2

What you got?

WTF is that? It’s not a pizza…

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Most parts of the country have really good food, it's just local to the area.  I love the BBQ out here, I've gotten pretty decent at it.  You just tend to miss what you grew up with.

I also miss really good seafood.

Yeah exactly. These discussions are so dumb, you wouldn't hear tristate people getting mad at people from Montana if they complained that they couldn't find a good elk steak in Bayonne. If you live in the South just own it. Floridians can eat their oranges and shut the **** up.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

HBO MAX has a series, Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy.

I wanted to lick the screen, it looked so amazing.  They get into the history of the food in the different regions, all of it.  I can not recommend it enough, even if you have been.