Let's talk about pizza...

Bronx

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Nothing wrong with that as long as it’s served as three different dishes. Mix it you  want, but white pizza needs nothing on it. Except another slice on top of another in case you are in a hurry! 

Generally agree. But occasionally I used to get mine with spinach (which I can no longer eat because of my damn kidneys) just to mix things up a bit. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

Generally agree. But occasionally I used to get mine with spinach (which I can no longer eat because of my damn kidneys) just to mix things up a bit. 

It’s obviously a personal thing. I grew up going to a pizzeria called Leo’s. Dad and I got one every Wednesday night because my mother worked nights. The traditional pies were fine but the white pizza was legendary. Generational place the son ran. The founder, his father sat in a booth cutting garlic with a razor blade all day talking about the Yankees with people who came in. The place was littered with pictures of the little league teams they sponsored over the years. Probably more of a nostalgic thing than a pizza thing, but I make a white pizza that I’ve convinced myself over the years that is that good. It’s not though, ask my Dad. Haha 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Arsis said:

As someone who lived in Chicago for a year and is currently in Detroit. I'll say NY pizza is so far ahead it's not a competition. Detroit Pizza is better than Chicago Pizza.

Chicago tavern pies are actually legit AF. The way they do it with the cornmeal is great, but I have to say the squares really wreck the experience. Deep dish is good but whatever it is it's not pizza.

Detroit style is OK, but I can't say I've ever had one that's blown me away. If I'm in the mood for tomatoes like that then Trenton pizza is the way to go. Trenton tomato pies might actually be the best pizza NJ has to offer, hard to find it anywhere else at the level you get it down there.

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Two types of people in this world with respect to food: Those who have been to Italy and those who have not. Best meal of your life is had at some random spot in Italy that you never even saw coming. Tops for me is a plate of squid ink with polenta that I stumbled upon in some random cafe in Venice one night. Or a Florentine steak in some random basement restaurant in Florence. Crazy country food wise. If you don't come back 20 pounds heavier you did it wrong.

I've been to Italy 3 times now, the best meal I've ever had was at a pretty well renowned restaurant in Florence, but the second best meal I've ever had was over 15 years ago now at some random tavaern-like place in the Tuscan countryside that we only stopped at because it was pouring rain and the GPS we brought along crapped out. Don't remember the name of the restaurant, might not have even had a name. There was nothing else around for miles and no one else in the restaurant. Everything they brought out was incredible.

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Pretty on point, aye. 

Just avoid all the tourist-oriented places, lol, as they are uniformly poop.

But you're right, while I wouldn't get a big juicy bacon cheese burger in Italy per se, but what they do....they do at a level of perfection few others can even contemplate, much less replicate.  

Several meals there were literally life altering for a foodie like me.

The one piece of advice that was given to me and that I give anyone I know going to Italy is to never eat at a restaurant with pictures of the food hanging in the window.

20 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This was my experience with wine. Didn't experience anything exceptional with food there but the wine ruined me. Can't be bothered to drink the garbage they sell here now.

Yeah, the wine there is ridiculous. Most of the table wines are better than some of the more expensive bottles you'd find stateside.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arsis said:

As someone who lived in Chicago for a year and is currently in Detroit. I'll say NY pizza is so far ahead it's not a competition. Detroit Pizza is better than Chicago Pizza.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago.  It is a pizza wasteland.  Deep dish is okay -- like maybe once a year for a change of pace type of okay -- but never as part of a regular culinary rotation.  The thin crusts are embarrassing.  It is almost as if they intentionally make bad thin crust to try prove the point that deep dish is better.  Maybe things are better in Chicago, but out in the suburbs it is pretty bad.

I also have an apartment outside of Des Moines and can find pretty good pizza in Iowa.  Even the gas station pizza in Iowa is better than the thin crust I get in Illinois.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Chicago tavern pies are actually legit AF. The way they do it with the cornmeal is great, but I have to say the squares really wreck the experience. Deep dish is good but whatever it is it's not pizza.

I am not a fan of the tavern pies.  The only decent pizza type product I have had in Chicago are pizza pot pies from Chicago Pizza and Grinders in Lincoln Park.  As long as you are prepared to wait an hour plus.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jvill 51 said:

Lol probably right. I’ve just seen it a lot more frequently in Italy/Europe than anywhere else, advertising Americanized dishes like chicken parm, spaghetti and meatballs, etc.

I do want to add that I generally agree that Italy has a food culture that is completely off the charts. Some of the best meals I've ever had.

BUT, that's partially bias on my part. I grew up on Italian food here in the NY area. Most of us have. It's pretty common place. It wasn't until later in life that I found true French food, Spanish, Indian, Greek, Middle Eastern, (real) Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Northern African. All of these special in their own way and again, at another level in their original environments, close to tradition and generational knowledge. I've had food in some of these places that to this day I still daydream about. By the way, I'm also part Irish. That food just sucks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I am not a fan of the tavern pies.  The only decent pizza type product I have had in Chicago are pizza pot pies from Chicago Pizza and Grinders in Lincoln Park.  As long as you are prepared to wait an hour plus.

Grinders is the sh*t. It’s not pizza and I have no idea what the hell it is but I’ll drown myself in those things. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

As someone who lived in Plainfield IL the last year this is the absolute correct take.

• Upvote 2

Moved to New Haven last year from NYC. Took me a couple months, but I’ve definitely come around to their pizza. It’s different than NYC, so I don’t care about the comparison between here vs NY vs NJ. We’ve been to all the famous places Sals, Franks, Modern etc. gotta tell ya, Bar has been our favorite.  Where’s everyone’s New Haven favorite? Will try to get there before we move back to the city.  

14 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Moved to New Haven last year from NYC. Took me a couple months, but I’ve definitely come around to their pizza. It’s different than NYC, so I don’t care about the comparison between here vs NY vs NJ. We’ve been to all the famous places Sals, Franks, Modern etc. gotta tell ya, Bar has been our favorite.  Where’s everyone’s New Haven favorite? Will try to get there before we move back to the city.  

Frank Pepe's clam pizza. Easily.

I'll give CT its props. It's a different animal than NY pizza, but both are crazy good at the right places. But I've lived in both NY and NJ for a long time, and how anyone can actually believe NJ has better pizza than NY is beyond me. My only guess is they only know the tourist spot pizza places in NYC. I've never had any pizza in NJ that was anything more than pretty good.

2 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

This is bullsh*t. You have to rank it. One is better! It’s subjective but that’s the rule. This isn’t Russia this is pizza, pal. 

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I'll give CT its props. It's a different animal than NY pizza, but both are crazy good at the right places. But I've lived in both NY and NJ for a long time, and how anyone can actually believe NJ has better pizza than NY is beyond me. My only guess is they only know the tourist spot pizza places in NYC. I've never had any pizza in NJ that was anything more than pretty good.

My only guess is you’re a big dumb nincompoop. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

It was good, thought they overdid the clams honestly, felt a little rubbery. Maybe an off-day. Bar has still been my favorite. They’re regular white and they’re mash potato and bacon. But that’s the rub, everywhere here has their specialty slice and it’s never just mozzarella. Whereas in the city, my favorite places were always just a regular slice. I suppose that’s the difference for me.  

Agree on NJ though. I’ve had a good slice, but nothing that that would be in my top 10. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2023 at 9:10 AM, Bronx said:

What you got?

imagejpeg_0.thumb.jpg.7f862877bdf04b7ba2494efef8811b7b.jpg

Cauliflower dough with bacon, smoked turkey, pork chop, spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms, 6 cheeses (manchego, apple smoke gouda, goat, muenster, swiss), cilantro with keto-friendly homemade sauce (includes avocado oil, gochuang and other natural ingredients). 

That’s not pizza 

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s not pizza 

I understand, it is a varience from the original format. However, the concept is the same and it is better for your health.

Also, you will never get the amount of cheeses and extra topping in a pizzeria, at least not as depicted on the original post.

I will continue making this thing (whatever is called) as a healthier alternative.

Thanks for your feedback. 

3 hours ago, Bronx said:

I understand, it is a varience from the original format. However, the concept is the same and it is better for your health.

Also, you will never get the amount of cheeses and extra topping in a pizzeria, at least not as depicted on the original post.

I will continue making this thing (whatever is called) as a healthier alternative.

Sometimes you just need to enjoy a nice slice of pizza and not worry about being healthy 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bronx said:

it's cauliflower with a bunch of sh*t piled on top.

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2023 at 9:10 AM, Bronx said:

What you got?

imagejpeg_0.thumb.jpg.7f862877bdf04b7ba2494efef8811b7b.jpg

Cauliflower dough with bacon, smoked turkey, pork chop, spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms, 6 cheeses (manchego, apple smoke gouda, goat, muenster, swiss), cilantro with keto-friendly homemade sauce (includes avocado oil, gochuang and other natural ingredients). 

I thought you were a veterinarian?

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I thought you were a veterinarian?

I was for a while, but I burn over 1k calories 5x week, and it's tough to be fully vegan while losing so many calories.

I try to stay keto friendly as much as I can, but I do eat "real pizza" once in a while.