Do Jets Have Enough at Running Back to Stand pat This Offseason?

JetNation

22 hours ago, PepPep said:

Yes. The Jets have enough quality backs and not enough room on the roster to be drafting a RB early or signing one for any kind of considerable amount of money. Add to that the fact that they have other roster issues that need to be addressed this offseason like bringing back some of their own critical FAs, finding a QB and patching up this O-line. All with cost cap space and draft capital. RB is VERY low on the pecking order. 

Hall, Carter, Bam in no particular order. I say that because Hall will need to be eased in with limited snap counts after his injury.  

Maybe Hall starts on IR to give him some extra time and we sign an UDFA temporarily as the 3rd back. That's all I can see JD doing. 

With a healthy, fortified O-line and a legit passing threat (new QB), along with this defense, our current trio of RBs should be just fine.

Again, bring in a god-d**n QB and fortify this o-line! We don't need a RB.  

Johnson was a fine 4th option.

The answer is no, we don't have enough at RB.  But RB is far enough down our list of needs that we're going to have to hold off on it.  And if we improve the OL, I think we could potentially have enough to "hold the fort" this year, even if Breece never returns to form (and with our luck, he won't).  We can invest a day 3 pick at RB but nothing higher than that.  It almost feels like it would be bad cap management to draft a RB with a high pick 2 years in a row.  We're betting off spacing things out.  Not even sure it's worth a high pick next year (unless Breece gets hurt again). 

Giving a RB a 2nd contract is generally not a winning strategy. 

37 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Looks like I’m in the minority thinking the rb room is fine. When Breece is healthy he is a top 5 rb. Why draft another guy who will carry the ball like 5 times a game? Carter is solid backup and bam is serviceable. 

Breece won’t be Breece until roughly Week 8.  If at all.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Breece won’t be Breece until roughly Week 8.  If at all.  

This is Becton, the sequel. 

For those slow on the uptake, I mean that one should use caution relying on a player who's been injured to return to form. I wasn't comparing an offensive tackle to a running back. 

I hope I made that clear. Perhaps I didn't. We'll soon find out. The anticipation excites me. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

This is Becton, the sequel. 

For those slow on the uptake, I mean that one should use caution relying on a player who's been injured to return to form. I wasn't comparing an offensive tackle to a running back. 

I hope I made that clear. Perhaps I didn't. We'll soon find out. The anticipation excites me. 

People seem to think that just because a cyborg like AP recovered from a torn ACL in 8 months that one time and nearly broke every RB record upon his return that everyone is capable of this.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

No

Jets have a lot of holes. We are currently over the cap by a million? We have Almost no lbers, need oline help, safety help, we are about to pay 40+ million on a qb. I just don’t see rb getting addressed again this year after drafting 2 the previous 2 seasons. I’d prefer another wr to another rb.

Bears RB David Montgomery will be a star in the NFL next season. He's a free agent, but he'll probably re-sign with the Bears because JD is preoccupied with unscrewing himself from all his blunders to offer him a contract. 

The Bears will also have a better record than the Jets next season. 

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

18 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Jets have a lot of holes. We are currently over the cap by a million? We have Almost no lbers, need oline help, safety help, we are about to pay 40+ million on a qb. I just don’t see rb getting addressed again this year after drafting 2 the previous 2 seasons. I’d prefer another wr to another rb.

We can draft a WR AND a RB while filling lots of those holes with our other picks + free agency.  LB and S are easy positions to fill.  

I don’t know why people are balking so hard at the idea of using a 4th there.  All successful orgs gobble up midround RBs all the time.  It’s a terrific strategy.  

Michael Carter being needed as an 8-week (minimum) bellcow for a playoff-ready team doesn’t scream “not a need” to me at all.