First player exceeding a yearly 39+ million cap hit

Bronx

13 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

It’s starting to turn into draft a qb every couple years then trade the starter if he works out instead of paying these guys a massive portion of the cap 

I don't know ... KC seemed to do pretty well after signing that Mahomes guy. They got stronger after losing Hill, which was the supposed "hit" they took from signing Mahomes to his deal.

I know it's only one case, but it can be done. IF you sign / draft / elect not to keep the right guys.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I don't know ... KC seemed to do pretty well after signing that Mahomes guy. They got stronger after losing Hill, which was the supposed "hit" they took from signing Mahomes to his deal.

I know it's only one case, but it can be done. IF you sign / draft / elect not to keep the right guys.

I feel like with Mahomes it’s a special case. He has a chance to be the goat. Also this year he *only* made 35 mil. With guys that have so much massive talent/production it’s different. 

Guys like Jones, Hurts, etc etc I wouldn’t sign to a massive long term deal. 

With Carr if it’s maybe a 3 or 4 year deal with an out then it won’t be too bad and gives a chance to draft a successor 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jamesr said:

It’s not only one case it’s literally one guy. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Things will calm down after watson and then probably lamar totally fail.

The Watson deal was a total joke and QBs can ask for the moon but smart teams will hold the line at least to some extend like the Ravens are doing.

I think Woody is committed to spend big bucks on a QB; otherwise, "Trader Joe" will stiff his way with 3rd tier QBs.

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Time for a separate cap for QBs

I've said it before:  Bob Costas once proposed a salary cap idea for MLB that would work for football.  You pay one player off the books as much as the player can negotiate and the team is willing to pay.  Then, you get the rest of the team under the salary cap.

It would work.  

• Upvote 1

Too much cap being allocated to QB's not named Mahomes.

Going to sound crazy to most, but I'm in the Rodgers for a 1st and 3rd bucket. If we can't land him, give me Andy Dalton for 2yr $8M/yr deal. Then stack the rest of the team and draft a QB in the 3rd. We are going nowhere giving these average QBs $40M.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Too much cap being allocated to QB's not named Mahomes.

Going to sound crazy to most, but I'm in the Rodgers for a 1st and 3rd bucket. If we can't land him, give me Andy Dalton for 2yr $8M/yr deal. Then stack the rest of the team and draft a QB in the 3rd. We are going nowhere giving these average QBs $40M.

^^ listen to him!