Window to use franchise tags is now open

jtomm

Tuesday marks an important date in the NFL’s offseason calendar.

The window for teams to use franchise or transition tags is now open. Teams can apply the tags at any point between now and 4 p.m. ET on March 8 and any player who receives a tag will be able to continue negotiating a long-term deal with their teams through July 15.Each team can only use one tag, which may make for a tough decision for the Giants as they have quarterback Daniel Jones and running back Saquon Barkley on their way to free agency. Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson, Chiefs left tackle Orlando Brown, Seahawks quarterback Geno Smith, Raiders running back Josh Jacobs, and Cowboys running back Tony Pollard are others who could wind up being tagged over the next couple of weeks.

Players can negotiate with other teams after being tagged, although signing away a franchise-tagged player would cost his new team two first-round picks. If a player signs his tag, his salary for 2023 becomes guaranteed. The franchise tag salaries, by position, are listed below:

Quarterback: $32,416,000.

Running back: $10,091,000.

Receiver: $19,743,000.

Tight end: $11,345,000.

Offensive line: $18,244,000.

Defensive end: $19,727,000.

Defensive tackle: $18,937,000.

Linebacker: $20,926,000.

Cornerback: $18,140,000.

Safety: $14,460,000.

Kicker/punter: $5,393,000.

Given how often deadlines result in agreements, it’s unlikely any teams will rush to use the tags but they’re now free to do so.

---  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/21/window-to-use-franchise-tags-is-now-open/

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

Imagine being able to have a guy like Kelce or Kittle for a mere 11.5m ... yet to franchise a guard it's over 18m. 

Yeah TEs have always gotten a raw deal.  Especially since Jimmy Graham lost his case to be declared a WR for financial purposes about a decade ago.

Having a TE as your top weapon is like a salary cap cheat code.  They're tough to find, and yeah, they tend to take a beating over their careers, but it's always worth drafting a TE in the middle rounds like we did with Ruckert.  @Paradis

Lot's of excellent TEs are, historically, found in the middle rounds after all:

• Gronk (2nd round)
  • Zach Ertz (2nd)
  • Kelce (3rd)
  • Mark Andrews (3rd)
  • Jason Witten (3rd)
  • Graham (3rd)
  • George Kittle (5th)
  • Darren Waller (6th)

And of course Antonio Gates was a UDFA.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah TEs have always gotten a raw deal.  Especially since Jimmy Graham lost his case to be declared a WR for financial purposes about a decade ago.

Having a TE as your top weapon is like a salary cap cheat code.  They're tough to find, and yeah, they tend to take a beating over their careers, but it's always worth drafting a TE in the middle rounds like we did with Ruckert.  @Paradis

Lot's of excellent TEs are, historically, found in the middle rounds after all:

• Gronk (2nd round)
  • Zach Ertz (2nd)
  • Kelce (3rd)
  • Mark Andrews (3rd)
  • Jason Witten (3rd)
  • Graham (3rd)
  • George Kittle (5th)
  • Darren Waller (6th)

And of course Antonio Gates was a UDFA.  

Yeah.  I remember Graham's agent had stats that he played way more snaps out of the slot than inline, but they still lost.  RB seems like a position worth the tag.  Guys that you don't want to lock money up on for years, but are happy to pay in their prime.  Plus, it keeps them running like every down is earning them money.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’d quit this team yesterday if they gave up two 1st rounders for Daniel Jones.

2 hours ago, jtomm said:

I don't think our GM is goin' for D. Jones. He knows better. 

What am I missing here? The guy is 25 and after a couple years under two terrible HCs (Shurmur and Judge) he blossomed under Daboll even putting up about as good a game as a QB can play in his first playoff game on the road in Minny.

I understand the Vikings were kind of a paper Tiger, especially on defense but I think you two are underestimating Jones. (Then again I took quite a few lumps here after he was drafted for saying he’d be a better pick than Darnold, so him proving me right makes me a bit biased.)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jtomm said:

Tuesday marks an important date in the NFL’s offseason calendar.

The window for teams to use franchise or transition tags is now open. Teams can apply the tags at any point between now and 4 p.m. ET on March 8 and any player who receives a tag will be able to continue negotiating a long-term deal with their teams through July 15.Each team can only use one tag, which may make for a tough decision for the Giants as they have quarterback Daniel Jones and running back Saquon Barkley on their way to free agency. Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson, Chiefs left tackle Orlando Brown, Seahawks quarterback Geno Smith, Raiders running back Josh Jacobs, and Cowboys running back Tony Pollard are others who could wind up being tagged over the next couple of weeks.

Players can negotiate with other teams after being tagged, although signing away a franchise-tagged player would cost his new team two first-round picks. If a player signs his tag, his salary for 2023 becomes guaranteed. The franchise tag salaries, by position, are listed below:

Quarterback: $32,416,000.

Running back: $10,091,000.

Receiver: $19,743,000.

Tight end: $11,345,000.

Offensive line: $18,244,000.

Defensive end: $19,727,000.

Defensive tackle: $18,937,000.

Linebacker: $20,926,000.

Cornerback: $18,140,000.

Safety: $14,460,000.

Kicker/punter: $5,393,000.

Given how often deadlines result in agreements, it’s unlikely any teams will rush to use the tags but they’re now free to do so.

---  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/21/window-to-use-franchise-tags-is-now-open/

Kelly?