Joe Douglas has big Decisions to Make at Wide Receiver as Draft Approaches

JetNation

Elijah-Moore-scaled.jpg

When the New York Jets met with free agent quarterback Derek Carr last week, one would assume the topic of the weapons he’d have to work with came up at some point.  And while the Jets could casually mention wide receiver Garrett Wilson recently winning rookie of the year, there at still lingering question with the rest of the group.

While Jets may or may not make some moves at running back, the potential for some shuffling at wide receiver is far greater and involves more prominent names.

Wilson is the lock to return as the team’s number one receiver, but it would be foolish to ignore the the concerns surrounding the other pass catchers set to return in 2023.  A quick look at each player and key issues with each explains.

Corey Davis: There appears to be a segment of the fan base that assumes Davis and his $11 million salary will be purged but that should be far from a lock.  Given the way the receiver market has exploded in recent years, Davis’ price tag is a relative bargain.  The money saved by cutting Davis would only be a portion of what the team would have to spend to import an equal (or possibly lesser) option.  Davis’ drops have been overblown by many but his durability is a legitimate concern.  Even with that being the case, cutting Davis is far from the “lock” that many believe.

Elijah Moore: Moore famously let it be known that he was ready to move on from Gang Green when he wasn’t seeing enough targets on offense during the ’22 season.  The Jets didn’t accommodate Moore in-season, but his demand clearly runs counter to the culture that head coach Robert Saleh is trying to establish.  Having spent an entire pre-season stressing the importance of maintaining a positive attitude through adversity, Moore chose to publicly throw cold water on the “positive vibes only” talk from Saleh.  And while Moore’s production has been less than impressive, spending any time watching game film over the past two seasons shows it’s not for lack of creating separation and getting open.  Will that be enough to encourage some clubs from calling to offer a trade?

Watch Elijah Moore (inside slot left) work against fellow rookie Jaycee Horn in man-to-man coverage. Inside release, head nod at top of the route, and easy separation over the middle. Zach Wilson needs to trust his WRs to win, not a 50/50 ball to Ty Johnson. #Jets #TakeFlight pic.twitter.com/XoikXTG9bz

— Dylan Tereman (@DTereman) September 14, 2021

Braxton Berrios: Following a solid 2021 season, the Jets re-signed Berrios who will carry a 2023 cap hit of $8.2 million this year.  After a significant dip in performance as both a receiver and punt returner, the chance to save $5 million against the cap could make Berrios the most likely to be sent packing this offseason.

Even if the Jets opt to retain Davis, he only has one year left on his contract and the Jets are without a proven big man at receiver.  While offensive tackle in round 1 feels like a certainty, if there’s a run on tackles early on, does Douglas pivot to wide receiver and snag a tackle with his second selection?

Lots of decisions for Douglas in the coming weeks and months.

The post Joe Douglas has big Decisions to Make at Wide Receiver as Draft Approaches appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I’m not giving up on Moore yet. I’d like to see what he can do with an actual QB throwing him the ball

I'm not giving up on him either which is why I think it's an interesting question.  The team was clearly unhappy with what he pulled last season and he still has his old man on twitter indirectly trashing Zach.  I'm wondering if he's a character fit and the team would consider dealing him.  I've said many times that he has the ability to be elite.  

Corey Davis is close to being a good useful receiver.  His drops come at bad times he gets hurt at bad times.  The comment about the contract in the original post is a good on e though, are we going to get a better guy than him for his price?  I won't mind holding onto him.

Berrios actually became a liability last year, he's probably gone but friggin boyer seems to have a lot of sway and will probably retain him just like chicken foot Mann.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

I’m not giving up on Moore yet. I’d like to see what he can do with an actual QB throwing him the ball

Moore just isn’t very good. Garret Wilson had 1100 yards last year with the same qbs. Moore doesn’t even have 1000 yards in 2 seasons.

He might be better with rodgers but not sure how much better

14 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah not trading him now when his value isn’t as high.  But here’s a major disappointment last year both on the forks and off the field with his antics.  Hopefully this year he had his head screwed in straight because he is talented 

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

I'm not giving up on him either which is why I think it's an interesting question.  The team was clearly unhappy with what he pulled last season and he still has his old man on twitter indirectly trashing Zach.  I'm wondering if he's a character fit and the team would consider dealing him.  I've said many times that he has the ability to be elite.  

I disagree about being elite. He dogs way too many routes and it's on film. That plus his attitude and I would be OK with moving him for a fair price. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

I disagree about being elite. He dogs way too many routes and it's on film. That plus his attitude and I would be OK with moving him for a fair price. 

I think he has some growing up to do and the "dogging it" came as a result of the QB not even looking his way for weeks at a time.

Immature response?  Certainly.

Elite skill set?  Also certainly.

But if the growing up doesn't happen in a hurry, I could see the team moving on to keep the "positive vibes".

• Upvote 1

Wilson/Moore/Davis is an entirely adequate WR starting group if we have a competent NFL-level QB.

The unit is thin, Mims and Berrios are both questionable, and I'd bring in another draft prospect (mid-rounder) to compete, but if we have a QB, I'd be comfortable going into week 1 with Wilson/Moore/Davis as the starters.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Yeah not trading him now when his value isn’t as high.  But here’s a major disappointment last year both on the forks and off the field with his antics.  Hopefully this year he had his head screwed in straight because he is talented 

I give him a pass on him throwing his temper tantrum. I mean GW, Mims and Moore all threw their little temper tantrum’s last year with Zach at the helm. Time to refocus and get back on the field with a real QB

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wilson/Moore/Davis is an entirely adequate WR starting group if we have a competent NFL-level QB.

The unit is thin, Mims and Berrios are both questionable, and I'd bring in another draft prospect (mid-rounder) to compete, but if we have a QB, I'd be comfortable going into week 1 with Wilson/Moore/Davis as the starters.

If Berrios made that catch in Minny, we would have to keep him. He probably did some good things this season too, but all I remember is him throwing the ball over his head.  Mims is a hard worker and a good blocker, but he stone hands some catchable passes.  He is getting better, but his ceiling is still a question mark.

25 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I give him a pass on him throwing his temper tantrum. I mean GW, Mims and Moore all threw their little temper tantrum’s last year with Zach at the helm. Time to refocus and get back on the field with a real QB

Temper tantrum is one thing(although I dint think that’s right either) he flat out requested a trade when we were riding high in a winning streak.  It doesn’t sound like he really apologized either.  I’m giving him another chance but not a pass 

• Upvote 1

I think it makes sense to cut Berrios. We can find his replacement. Moore, Knight and Ty Johnson (if we bring him back) can fight for return duties.

I would not trade Moore. I think he can be a good number 3 with the right QB and can help in the return game.

Corey Davis - His contract is reasonable. I would only cut/trade him if we can find an upgrade. The WR market is thin and $11M for an ok #2 is not bad.

1) Wilson

2) Davis or veteran replacement

3) Moore

4) Mims

5) Charles or day 3 draft pick

I dont see WR as set but I dont think it’s an area we upgrade much. QB, OL and adding tweaking/adding reinforcements to the front 7 would be my focus.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I think it makes sense to cut Berrios. We can find his replacement. Moore, Knight and Ty Johnson (if we bring him back) can fight for return duties.

I would not trade Moore. I think he can be a good number 3 with the right QB and can help in the return game.

Corey Davis - His contract is reasonable. I would only cut/trade him if we can find an upgrade. The WR market is thin and $11M for an ok #2 is not bad.

1) Wilson

2) Davis or veteran replacement

3) Moore

4) Mims

5) Charles or day 3 draft pick

I dont see WR as set but I dont think it’s an area we upgrade much. QB, OL and adding tweaking/adding reinforcements to the front 7 would be my focus.

All this looks reasonable.  I agree that for the money Davis's contract is reasonable, he's a + blocker in the run game and his drops might improve with better QB play.  Also agree that Berrios should be a goner, and would think that a new OC/WR coaching staff should be able to improve Moore's output.  The guy who really needs to fish or cut bait this year is Mims...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I think he has some growing up to do and the "dogging it" came as a result of the QB not even looking his way for weeks at a time.

Immature response?  Certainly.

Elite skill set?  Also certainly.

But if the growing up doesn't happen in a hurry, I could see the team moving on to keep the "positive vibes".

That's fair. I saw several clips when JT Sullivan broke down Jets film where he stopped his route or just held up and didn't give it 100%. One resulted in a pick that was totally on him. Film doesn't lie - but Warfish will probably still give this a thumbs down. :) 

With a new offensive staff I want to keep Moore and see if we can unlock some of the potential we saw in him as a rookie. IMO- he's a quality receiver. 

As far as Davis, I agree that the price tag is not egregious. However, I just can't deal with his injuries and inconsistency. While a better receiver probably cannot be gotten in FA at a cheaper price, I would not mind looking at the draft for a WR. 

Berrios is a goner. He just doesn't do enough. Again, look for a receiver with comparable skills in FA or the draft. This is one guy we can probably adequately replace at a cheaper price. 

So my preference is still to cut both Berrios and Davis. Then sign a lower level FA (relatively cheap) for depth and draft a WR. If we end up drafting a WR early- take someone who can play on the outside and be potential #1/#2 eventually. If we draft one later on, take someone with the type of skill set that Berrios has- slot/shifty/special teamer. 

Wilson, Early draft pick/FA vet, Moore (slot), Mims, late draft pick/FA vet. Something like that. If we get a quality QB, I imagine he will improve the production we get from our TEs and potentially Moore and Mims. So we will not have to rely on the incoming FA and rookie as much.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Trade up for the TCU kid. 100% makes total sense for this team.

Much prefer Jaxon Smith-Njigba. Johnston is pretty raw and scares me with his body catching. JSN is a slot machine in the mold of Kupp, Keenan Allen, Amon-Ra St. Brown. He just knows how to get open and he produced at a freakish level as a sophomore. 

19 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

keep an eye on my dark horse for 2023 season....Irv Charles

new WR coach better do his job

I like the power Charles displayed in the pre season.

I'm for moving on from Melijah, Davis and Berrios.

As for Berrios, Ty Johnson &  Bam Knight are more willing

to take the ball and explosively take it up field

18 hours ago, hmhertz said:

I like the power Charles displayed in the pre season.

I'm for moving on from Melijah, Davis and Berrios.

As for Berrios, Ty Johnson &  Bam Knight are more willing

to take the ball and explosively take it up field

So you are going to replace Berrios, Moore and Corey Davis with . . .  Ty Johnson and Bam Knight?  They are probably our worst two receiving backs.  That leaves you with a receiver room that after Garrett WIlson, and Denzel Mims, has Diontae Spencer, Malik Taylor and Irv Charles.  Those three have an average age over 28 and a combined 17 career catches for something like 133 yards and one TD.  Considering how much we play 3 wide, it makes perfect sense.  

The is certainly an unpopular opinion but I would draft a TE over a WR if given the choice. Uzomah and Conklin are goner after the season due to their huge salaries, while Ruckert has always been more of a blocker. 

Daniel Jeremiah has this kid going 15th overall to the Packers. 

Dalton Kincaid

"Kincaid is one of my favorite players in the draft. I think he’s the most dynamic pass-catching tight end in the class."

I was hoping he would be available in the 2nd round were Waltersfootball has him mocked. 

• Upvote 1

I've given up on him...he's a malcontent.  I see posters on here that are saying let's see what he does with a QB throwing him the ball.  Funny, we have a crappy QB situation and yet GW won rookie of the year with trash throwing the ball.  I say trade him and let's get another WR in the draft.

20 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Or plays where he’s the number 1 read. If they cut berrios then Moore is a natural to fill the slot.  As for Davis, I agree his whole issue has been staying on the field. He’s made some big catches. Another point is gWilson seems to be a pretty slight fellow. He made it through the season but was also getting banged up. He needs a complementary receiver to take the heat off.

5 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

The is certainly an unpopular opinion but I would draft a TE over a WR if given the choice. Uzomah and Conklin are goner after the season due to their huge salaries, while Ruckert has always been more of a blocker. 

Daniel Jeremiah has this kid going 15th overall to the Packers. 

Dalton Kincaid

"Kincaid is one of my favorite players in the draft. I think he’s the most dynamic pass-catching tight end in the class."

I was hoping he would be available in the 2nd round were Waltersfootball has him mocked. 

I am literally unsure I could disagree more.  I don't know much about Kincaid, but we already have 3 TEs that will be on roster due to contract - Uzomah, Conklin and Ruckert.  This is the time to pick a very late round TE or athletic freak UDFA and hope they can contribute in 2024.  Yeboah and Cager types and hope they hit.  Carrying more TE on roster makes little sense - especially if people want to get at FB or bring Bawden back.

Meanwhile we have Davis, Wilson, Moore, Mims and Berrios at WR.  Moving on from Davis saves a good chunk of money.   Same with Berrios.  Behind them we have Malik Taylor, Diontae Spencer and Irv Charles.  Even just replacing Jeff Smith's snaps with a quality player would be awesome and that is if we keep Davis and Berrios.  

3 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I've given up on him...he's a malcontent.  I see posters on here that are saying let's see what he does with a QB throwing him the ball.  Funny, we have a crappy QB situation and yet GW won rookie of the year with trash throwing the ball.  I say trade him and let's get another WR in the draft.

Moore?  I get not liking what you have seen, but how many great WR have been malcontents?  Antonio Brown, Davante Adams, Rison, Moss, T.O.  The list of crazy or annoying WR is super long.  No reason to cut bait on the kid at this point.  If you want to move him, what do you think you are going to get?  Malcontent WR that didn't produce?  Are you that hard up for another 6th rounder? 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Corey Davis is close to being a good useful receiver.  His drops come at bad times he gets hurt at bad times.  The comment about the contract in the original post is a good on e though, are we going to get a better guy than him for his price?  I won't mind holding onto him.

Berrios actually became a liability last year, he's probably gone but friggin boyer seems to have a lot of sway and will probably retain him just like chicken foot Mann.

yeah with the $ WRs getting I can see them both sticking - and maybe even restructure for Davis.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am literally unsure I could disagree more.  I don't know much about Kincaid, but we already have 3 TEs that will be on roster due to contract - Uzomah, Conklin and Ruckert.  This is the time to pick a very late round TE or athletic freak UDFA and hope they can contribute in 2024.  Yeboah and Cager types and hope they hit.  Carrying more TE on roster makes little sense - especially if people want to get at FB or bring Bawden back.

Meanwhile we have Davis, Wilson, Moore, Mims and Berrios at WR.  Moving on from Davis saves a good chunk of money.   Same with Berrios.  Behind them we have Malik Taylor, Diontae Spencer and Irv Charles.  Even just replacing Jeff Smith's snaps with a quality player would be awesome and that is if we keep Davis and Berrios.  

Moore?  I get not liking what you have seen, but how many great WR have been malcontents?  Antonio Brown, Davante Adams, Rison, Moss, T.O.  The list of crazy or annoying WR is super long.  No reason to cut bait on the kid at this point.  If you want to move him, what do you think you are going to get?  Malcontent WR that didn't produce?  Are you that hard up for another 6th rounder? 

Hard up?  Nah, I just don't like his mouth in public...those guys you mentioned?  Moore isn't even in the same league as those guys.  There's a reason why he doesn't get that many targets.  Now, I'm not just going to blame the OC and QB.  He's a problem.  And like I said we got ourselves a ROY WR...not too shabby for a crappy quarterback situation.