Face it, Jets fans. We are wanted.

JETS SB

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

For Carr, the money he’s seeking is a significant factor. He had three years and $116.3 million left on his Raiders deal, or $38.77 million per year. The Raiders couldn’t trade him because no one was willing to inherit that contract (with $32.9 million guaranteed this year and $7.5 million next), and if he’s now asking for $35 million per (ESPN reported he is), it’d stand to reason it might be hard for him to find that. So my guess, based on what the market told us, would be he’ll be a starter somewhere, but at less money than he wants.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/27/aaron-rodgers-packers-trade-ten-takeaways-mmqb

Lol

Carr should consider signing a 1 year deal with a legitimate playoff team, showcase his talents and then go for the big payday next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

For Carr, the money he’s seeking is a significant factor. He had three years and $116.3 million left on his Raiders deal, or $38.77 million per year. The Raiders couldn’t trade him because no one was willing to inherit that contract (with $32.9 million guaranteed this year and $7.5 million next), and if he’s now asking for $35 million per (ESPN reported he is), it’d stand to reason it might be hard for him to find that. So my guess, based on what the market told us, would be he’ll be a starter somewhere, but at less money than he wants.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/27/aaron-rodgers-packers-trade-ten-takeaways-mmqb

Lol

They couldn't trade him because he had a no trade clause, not because there wasn't interest.  Carr was never going to accept any trade, there was ZERO benefit in it for him.

Carr will get north of $35mm per - with over $100mm in guarantees.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Ron Rico said:

Carr should consider signing a 1 year deal with a legitimate playoff team, showcase his talents and then go for the big payday next year. 

What legitimate playoff teams are looking for quarterbacks?  

I think Carr has earned $135M in his career.   He is not a guy trying to get a pay day.  He is looking for another big pay day.

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They couldn't trade him because he had a no trade clause, not because there wasn't interest.  Carr was never going to accept any trade, there was ZERO benefit in it for him.

Carr will get north of $35mm per - with over $100mm in guarantees.

Not saying your wrong, but his salary played a part into it. The Saints agreed with compensation with the Raiders and were willing to trade for Carr outright under the condition that he reduce his salary for this year. He decided he wanted to play the market instead. Jets were the only other team to contact the Raiders, but never agreed to compensation. 

Jets wanted to pay him $25 million this year (likely fully guaranteed) plus some additional incentive bonuses. The "average per year" value would likely wind up being around $30 million over a 3-year deal, with the third year being a "dummy" year. Not sure if that still applies or not, and I'm sure there's room for Carr to counter if Rodgers is out of the picture. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, football guy said:

Lol

Happy Birthday Cake GIF by Storyful

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

Not saying your wrong, but his salary played a part into it. The Saints agreed with compensation with the Raiders and were willing to trade for Carr outright under the condition that he reduce his salary for this year. He decided he wanted to play the market instead. Jets were the only other team to contact the Raiders, but never agreed to compensation. 

Jets wanted to pay him $25 million this year (likely fully guaranteed) plus some additional incentive bonuses. The "average per year" value would likely wind up being around $30 million over a 3-year deal, with the third year being a "dummy" year. Not sure if that still applies or not, and I'm sure there's room for Carr to counter if Rodgers is out of the picture. 

It is my opinion that the Jets offer was nothing more than smoke screen for the Rodgers negotiation.  No way the Jets were going to make an offer Carr could possibly accept.  

While I do understand what you're saying, when all's said and done I believe Carr gets north of $100mm in guarantees.  With nothing lower than $35mm/year on average.

Off topic - Let me ask you this ---- From what you've heard - Why are the Jets so fascinated with a 40 year old, obviously declining QB?  I mean do they really believe last year was a fluke? Is Rodgers being pushed by Woody?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2023 at 10:59 AM, dbatesman said:

Olave was 25th in DYAR and 37th in DVOA. Wilson was 51st and 59th, respectively.

On 2/22/2023 at 11:51 AM, dbatesman said:

I’m not trying to run Wilson down. I think he’s great. I just don’t think he gives us a huge leg up on the Saints.

Fair. Wilson's totals are definitely a volume play; Olave had better metrics. That said, any of Dalton/Jameis/Tayson is multiple factors better than Zach/White/Grandpa Flacco.

Kamara's recent issues might actually serve as the leg up on the saints. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It is my opinion that the Jets offer was nothing more than smoke screen for the Rodgers negotiation.  No way the Jets were going to make an offer Carr could possibly accept.  

While I do understand what you're saying, when all's said and done I believe Carr gets north of $100mm in guarantees.  With nothing lower than $35mm/year on average.

Off topic - Let me ask you this ---- From what you've heard - Why are the Jets so fascinated with a 40 year old, obviously declining QB?  I mean do they really believe last year was a fluke? Is Rodgers being pushed by Woody?

Well for one, the Jets haven’t made him an offer. That $25M number I’m throwing around is merely the round figure of guaranteed money I’ve been told the Jets have him at. If Rodgers doesn’t get traded I would think we’ll submit an offer, but many falling for the “Carr >>>> Garoppolo/Tannehill” narrative. They’re grouping those guys closer than it’s been reported. No offers or figures will be substantially addressed until they understand where they stand with Rodgers. 

To address your question: the reason why they love Rodgers so much is because he is the perfect convergence of agendas. Douglas and Saleh want a proven QB that is a difference maker and one who will allow them to win now while developing Zach and/or another long QB for the long-term. The personnel people think Rodgers’ “bad” season had more to do with all the change and inexperience around him, plus the thumb, than it did a rapid decline in ability. And while Saleh and Douglas are not looking at this as a one and done season, I think they realistically believe it could be, and they have a lot more faith in Rodgers getting this team to the playoffs than any other “available” QB and it’s not close. Ownership and the business people want Rodgers for very obvious reasons: $$$. If Rodgers comes here, the team will be thrust into the national spotlight, ticket sales will go up, and it will put the team in a great position just in time for their negotiates with NJ in preparation for their their lease opt out decision is due next year. Many people don’t know this, but the stadium was designed to incorporate a retractable roof. They didn’t move forward with it because of the cost. NJ played hardball on funding, but if the Jets become the talk of the NFL — even if it is for 2 years — it will give the them a ton of leverage in attempts to secure more funding to improve the complex, or threaten to leave (whether it’s 2025 or 2030;  they have opt out options every 5 years going forward).

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Well for one, the Jets haven’t made him an offer. That $25M number I’m throwing around is merely the round figure of guaranteed money I’ve been told the Jets have him at. If Rodgers doesn’t get traded I would think we’ll submit an offer, but many falling for the “Carr >>>> Garoppolo/Tannehill” narrative. They’re grouping those guys closer than it’s been reported. No offers or figures will be substantially addressed until they understand where they stand with Rodgers. 

To address your question: the reason why they love Rodgers so much is because he is the perfect convergence of agendas. Douglas and Saleh want a proven QB that is a difference maker and one who will allow them to win now while developing Zach and/or another long QB for the long-term. The personnel people think Rodgers’ “bad” season had more to do with all the change and inexperience around him, plus the thumb, than it did a rapid decline in ability. And while Saleh and Douglas are not looking at this as a one and done season, I think they realistically believe it could be, and they have a lot more faith in Rodgers getting this team to the playoffs than any other “available” QB and it’s not close. Ownership and the business people want Rodgers for very obvious reasons: $$$. If Rodgers comes here, the team will be thrust into the national spotlight, ticket sales will go up, and it will put the team in a great position just in time for their negotiates with NJ in preparation for their their lease opt out decision is due next year. Many people don’t know this, but the stadium was designed to incorporate a retractable roof. They didn’t move forward with it because of the cost. NJ played hardball on funding, but if the Jets become the talk of the NFL — even if it is for 2 years — it will give the them a ton of leverage in attempts to secure more funding to improve the complex, or threaten to leave (whether it’s 2025 or 2030;  they have opt out options every 5 years going forward).

Land Aaron Rodgers AND opt out? Talk dirty to me football guy

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

A retractable roof? Cool cool cool. Do they have enough funding to knock it down and start over again?

6 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

I think Carr entered this thinking he was going to be in such demand that he could handpick his next team, sign a long-term deal and be that team’s new franchise QB for years to come. Think about it: Carr has been touted as if he’s a franchise QB by many, but has anyone asked what really differentiates him from Andy Dalton when the latter was cut in 2020? 

Carr (per season avg): 3913.6 yards, 64.6 cmp%, 7.1 Y/A, 24.1 TD, 11 INT, 0.444 W/L%

Dalton (per season avg): 3510.4 yards, 62.0 cmp%, 7.1 Y/A, 22.7 TD, 13.1 INT, 0.534 W/L%

Stats can be deceiving both in arguments for and against Carr, but point being it wouldn’t be the first time a long-time “mid-tier” starter had to settle for much less on the open market. Derek Carr will get a starting opportunity because his final year wasn’t as disaster out as Dalton’s was and he has more arm talent than Dalton had, but need to pump the breaks on the franchise QB talk. He’s probably going to have to settle for less

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, football guy said:

but many falling for the “Carr >>>> Garoppolo/Tannehill” narrative. They’re grouping those guys closer than it’s been reported.

This is very worrisome.  Because there is a big gap between them and I'm really starting to worry about JD'sa ability to evaluate the QB position.

10 hours ago, football guy said:

I think Carr entered this thinking he was going to be in such demand that he could handpick his next team, sign a long-term deal and be that team’s new franchise QB for years to come. Think about it: Carr has been touted as if he’s a franchise QB by many, but has anyone asked what really differentiates him from Andy Dalton when the latter was cut in 2020? 

Carr (per season avg): 3913.6 yards, 64.6 cmp%, 7.1 Y/A, 24.1 TD, 11 INT, 0.444 W/L%

Dalton (per season avg): 3510.4 yards, 62.0 cmp%, 7.1 Y/A, 22.7 TD, 13.1 INT, 0.534 W/L%

Stats can be deceiving both in arguments for and against Carr, but point being it wouldn’t be the first time a long-time “mid-tier” starter had to settle for much less on the open market. Derek Carr will get a starting opportunity because his final year wasn’t as disaster out as Dalton’s was and he has more arm talent than Dalton had, but need to pump the breaks on the franchise QB talk. He’s probably going to have to settle for less

Carr is a far superior QB to Dalton.  I still believe you are underestimating his value.   Truthfully I hope you're right and the Jets can get him for $25mm per.  I just don't see it though.

12 hours ago, football guy said:

I think Dalton is actually better than Carr. 

On 2/22/2023 at 9:10 AM, Jet Blast said:

Joe Douglas has been very good about not hamstringing the Jets with ridiculous contract structures and amounts. I trust he will do the same with the next QB's contract. He is too smart to lose him with a low ball offer, but at the same time, he will not unnecessarily overpay. I emphasize the word "unnecessarily" because there is a caveat: It may be necessary for him to overpay OR Woody may force him to do so.

Let's see what transpires.

he's on his last year, not sure he cares if he overpays by a little bit.  

• Upvote 1