Draft day scenario regarding OT vs WR (or position of your choice)

AFJF

So after seeing a mock the other day that had the top 3 or 4 OT's going before pick 13 I couldn't help but ask myself if the Jets should take OT 4 or OT 5 instead of say, WR1 or WR2.

And now the Titans, who are in front of the Jets, released Lewan and OT shoots to the top of their list of needs.  Jets could be faced with that exact scenario.  

So what do you do if you're looking at OT 4/5 or WR 1/2?

I go WR (Addison) and grab the best OT on the board in round 2.

Edit: No team is willing to give you a fair offer to trade down.  It's get fleeced or pick at 13.

Thoughts?

Edited by AFJF

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

So after seeing a mock the other day that had the top 3 or 4 OT's going before pick 13 I couldn't help but ask myself if the Jets should take OT 4 or OT 5 instead of say, WR1 or WR2.

And now the Titans, who are in front of the Jets, released Lewan and OT shoots to the top of their list of needs.  Jets could be faced with that exact scenario.  

So what do you do if you're looking at OT 4/5 or WR 1/2?

I go WR (Addison) and grab the best OT on the board in round 2.

Thoughts?

If the question is "do we force ourselves to take an OT, even if it's a major overdraft?" then my answer is no.  Take some other position or maybe trade down.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If the question is "do we force ourselves to take an OT, even if it's a major overdraft" then my answer is no.  Take some other position or maybe trade down.

I'm fine if JD trades the pick all the way out of the first round, for more draft picks. 

3 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

BPA if the OL doesn’t deserve to be drafted that high then dont be the sucker to do it. Reaching for need is a good way of passing up great players for average ones. Look at Bryan Thomas Vs Ed Reed 

So if the add Carr or Rodgers, what if the best player on the board is a QB or CB? Do you draft QB2 or a backup CB at 13?

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

BPA if the OL doesn’t deserve to be drafted that high then dont be the sucker to do it. Reaching for need is a good way of passing up great players for average ones. Look at Bryan Thomas Vs Ed Reed 

Bryan Thomas wasn't a need and Ed Reed was.  That's what made that pick so gross.

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So if the add Carr or Rodgers, what if the best player on the board is a QB or CB? Do you draft QB2 or a backup CB at 13?

Take the QB if that’s the BPA. It worked out well for the packers and Rodgers. Especially if Rodgers is the qb. Who knows if he’ll even play in 2024. If the CB is easily the #1 on the board then sure draft him. That’s a premium position who get a ton of $$

48 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Take the QB if that’s the BPA. It worked out well for the packers and Rodgers. Especially if Rodgers is the qb. Who knows if he’ll even play in 2024. If the CB is easily the #1 on the board then sure draft him. That’s a premium position who get a ton of $$

To each his own, but I'm not taking a guy at 13 to ride the bench with gaping holes to fill elsewhere.  QB and Rodgers I could live with, but if you sign Carr to a 4-5 year deal?  Again, with the other needs on the roster, I don't use pick 13 on my backup QB for the next 4 years.  But as I said, to each his own.

We have needs about everywhere outside of maybe CB, RB, and interior DL…at least for first round picks. There is no way the coaching staff / JD risk their jobs this year drafting another QB that will ride the pine either, so that won’t be drafted.  We need help at o line the most but I’d rather take the best player that fills anothet need than to reach and over draft an o linemen that, at least on paper, isn’t the same tier of prospect. You really can’t get hurt taking good players. You can get hurt over drafting for need.

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

The coaching staff for your example of Rodgers were safe with little to worry about. This staffs seat is getting hot. Drafting the 4th or 5th best QB in this draft to ride the bench for a season will do nothing but hurt JD and saleh in relation to them keeping their jobs for the 2024 season. They will draft players early that can contribute immediately. I’d bet a lot that the QB position won’t even be considered this year. It really can’t be given the teams current situation.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

To each his own, but I'm not taking a guy at 13 to ride the bench with gaping holes to fill elsewhere.  QB and Rodgers I could live with, but if you sign Carr to a 4-5 year deal?  Again, with the other needs on the roster, I don't use pick 13 on my backup QB for the next 4 years.  But as I said, to each his own.

If Carr is a 4 year deal then I can see there being an out in year 3. That gives the young guy time to learn and sit on the pine (something Zach should have done). Carr is pretty good sure, but he’s not one of the upper echelon guys. Maybe the rookie can at least match his production while saving like 35 mil a year in year 3. 

40 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

If Carr is a 4 year deal then I can see there being an out in year 3. That gives the young guy time to learn and sit on the pine (something Zach should have done). Carr is pretty good sure, but he’s not one of the upper echelon guys. Maybe the rookie can at least match his production while saving like 35 mil a year in year 3. 

All true, but for me, I'm not at the helm of a "win now" team and then telling the owner that I'm using our top pick on a guy who isn't going to do anything to contribute for the next few years.  I'm adding as  many day 1 starters as possible.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Okay, so 3 of them go.  Are you taking OT4 over WR1 or do you take WR1 and get an OT in round 2?

This may sound stupid, but I have been playing PFFNPFN draft simulators probably 100 times and there’s never more than one tackle taken by 13 and that’s the kid from Ohio.

I take ot over wr no matter what

24 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

This may sound stupid, but I have been playing PFFNPFN draft simulators probably 100 times and there’s never more than one tackle taken by 13 and that’s the kid from Ohio.

I take ot over wr no matter what

Yeah, I've seen Skoronski last up to pick 25 on that simulator.  He's not making it to 13.

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

The coaching staff for your example of Rodgers were safe with little to worry about. This staffs seat is getting hot. Drafting the 4th or 5th best QB in this draft to ride the bench for a season will do nothing but hurt JD and saleh in relation to them keeping their jobs for the 2024 season. They will draft players early that can contribute immediately. I’d bet a lot that the QB position won’t even be considered this year. It really can’t be given the teams current situation.

Who said it will be the 4th or 5th best qb? If it’s stroud he’s probably the 2nd best. This was about the BPA on the board, I highly doubt the 4th or 5th best qb would be the BPA at 13. 

If Carr/Rodgers are signed then making the playoffs becomes very likely. What happens if the team makes the playoffs? Everyone is off the hot seat. 

While I'm hoping we don't use any of our draft picks on a trade for a QB, if the top 2-3 OT's are off the board by 13, then the top WR is in play, however since I haven't started my research yet, I'm hoping the top WR is 6'4" or taller and can start along side of G. Wilson. Either that or trade down in the lower 1'st to get another 2nd and 3rd rounder. I'd love the idea of picking in the bottom of the 1st, and having 2 2nd's, and 2 3rd's.

If the top 4 OTs go, odds are a stud at a different position will drop. A lot of times that is how it works. Just hope its not CB. We can pretty much use any other position. 

If I was to guess, in this scenario, at least a couple of Edge players are still going before the Jets, the top 3 QBs, at least one CB (maybe 2), and you have to think Jalen Carter- DT, who is considered a top 5 prospect.

So that leaves the Jets with the TOP WR, S, LB, IOL. ALL positions they could definitely use. I don't want to use a high draft pick on a safety. I do like Quentin Johnston and would take him. I don't know of any IOL worth taking that high, but maybe one will emerge. I really like Trenton Simpson and we could def. use an impact LB but not sure if 13 is a good spot for him. There are a lot of good LBs in this draft. 

And then there is always the possibility of a trade down. 

8 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

I'd much rather improve the secondary through free agency. I know that Safety Jordan Poyer was injured last year, but he's a free agent and I think the Bills probably don't have him high up on their priority list, maybe the Jets can entice him away?

Bold strategy  lol

• Haha 2