Becton Shows off Trimmed Down Frame on Social Media

JetNation

15 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

4 years in the league and he's done NOTHING. 

This isn't entirely accurate. He had a good rookie year. 

If you asked most of this board in February of 2021 what they thought of Becton, most here had him penciled in as our LT for the next 10 years. 

He has fallen off a cliff since then, but at least he showed that he can play at a high level in the NFL when healthy and motivated. I'm not optimistic he ever gets back to that (In fact, I'd be looking to replace him this offseason), but it's not fair to say he's done "nothing."

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This isn't entirely accurate. He had a good rookie year. 

If you asked most of this board in February of 2021 what they thought of Becton, most here had him penciled in as our LT for the next 10 years. 

He has fallen off a cliff since then, but at least he showed that he can play at a high level in the NFL when healthy and motivated. I'm not optimistic he ever gets back to that (In fact, I'd be looking to replace him this offseason), but it's not fair to say he's done "nothing."

Funny thing about players, you usually know right away if they’re going to be good or not.  

26 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

he gets ripped on for showing up to camp 2 years in a row out of shape.

Even if he bounces back it would be very risky to sign him long term and hand him the bag. Major “get paid and go sit in the shade” risk.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Even if he bounces back it would be very risky to sign him long term and hand him the bag. Major “get paid and go sit in the shade” risk.

I am sticking to my Becton story-

If I am JD I am semi-rolling the dice on Becton.  Brown, Becton, Mitchell and a 1st round draft pick, with AVT in reserve, should be good at T.   A WR could be compelling at 13, in which case we rely more on the other guys, look for a FA, maybe bring Fant back, etc.  I think Becton will be focused and motivated and useful, particularly when he does not have a 5th year option. 

The reason to take the T at 13 is because Becton should not be renewed.  We should let him walk.  The only viable alternative would be to sign him like Sheldon Richardson gets signed:  1-2 years at a time.  

1 hour ago, jgb said:

True, but if he plays all 17 games and play adequate my thought would be he gets paid as such. If he plays less than 12 he gets shown the door. The challenge is if he comes in and plays as a top 4-7 tackle! So, chances are we very little if nothing at all to worry about. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you people keep ripping on this guy like he didn’t have a legitimate injury.

I for one wish the guy comes back with a vengeance and helps us win!

we all wish that happens. but most likely he will come get hurt again because he's soft. and if he does stay healthy he will probably continue to get beat like a drum in pass protection

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

True, but if he plays all 17 games and play adequate my thought would be he gets paid as such. If he plays less than 12 he gets shown the door. The challenge is if he comes in and plays as a top 4-7 tackle! So, chances are we very little if nothing at all to worry about. 

Yeah… will have to see just how good. I contend he’s a loaf risk. But still very curious how he looks after 2 years

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah… will have to see just how good. I contend he’s a loaf risk. But still very curious how he looks after 2 years

Good lord 2 years? Holy crap, I take a week off at the beach and it takes me two weeks to get myself back in the groove at the clinic. I been doing it for 31years. LOL

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

We have to 'plan for him'. The nature of the NFL doesn't allow teams to NOT plan for a top 1st round pick to be available. You only get one, MAYBE two good tackles. After that? Drop off. JoeD can't afford to keep plowing big $$$$ into the oline 'just in case'.

And yet he will more than likely take one in the first round again this year, 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Good lord 2 years? Holy crap, I take a week off at the beach and it takes me two weeks to get myself back in the groove at the clinic. I been doing it for 31years. LOL

Crazy isn’t it. Just a pity because we have to waive 5th year option before seeing him play again. If he crushes it I’d try to get him to play under the tag a year to see if he can contribute 2 years in a row before getting the big money.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, undertow said:

I don't want to see any of our players fail but from an analysis standpoint watching players play in the NFL it was pretty clear early on MIms and Wilson were busts so it's not my responsibility to pretend they aren't for two years.   Becton on the other hand has NFL all pro talent who just can't stay healthy so I'm willing to stick with him and hope he turns it around. 

I'm not sure you could have categorized Mims a bust based on his rookie year under Gase.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the prevailing view was he showed some talent and people were looking forward to a second year jump...

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm not sure you could have categorized Mims a bust based on his rookie year under Gase.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the prevailing view was he showed some talent and people were looking forward to a second year jump...

Yeah the prevailing thought was also Wilson was being an awesome game manager while throwing the ball in the dirt and missing wide open receivers 2 months ago....the prevailing thought has been terrible around here. lol  I personally was not blown away by Denzel Mims 350 yards, 50 penalties and inability to run a route.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Becton has spent his entire Jets career severely overweight and badly out of shape.  Entering year 4, he gets in shape for a contract run.  I hope he gets in great shape and becomes a monster.  Pick up his 5th year option, then franchise him twice.  Then dump him.  Never give this kind of guy a guaranteed contract.

That gets you 4 years control, as long as he stays in shape.  Then let him sign a long term contract somewhere else for big bucks and re-enter the 400 club.

5 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Becton hasn't worn a pair of socks in two years, because he can't put them on himself, and it's too embarrassing to have to ask someone to put your socks on for you when you're 28 years old.

And he was getting blue in the face trying to tie his shoes. I didn’t want that left out.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Jets didn’t pick up his 5th year option is all you need to know about Mr Becton.

Pronouns Soft and lazy. 

I thought they didn't have to decide until May?

If he shows up in shape to all the offseason workouts and looks good, I'd risk picking it up.

13 million is swing tackle money.