Derek Carr and Jets are flirting but NY needs to slow down and wait for Aaron Rodgers

JetNation

Aaron Rodgers, Robert Saleh

Derek Carr and Jets are flirting but NY needs to slow down and wait for Aaron Rodgers post image

Derek Carr and the Jets are flirting with each other. The Jets hierarchy, including Robert Saleh and Joe Douglas, had dinner with Carr in New Jersey this week, reportedly telling him they think he could be a first-ballot Hall of Famer if he comes to the Jets. That seems a little strong.

Carr is an above-average quarterback in the NFL. An above-average quarterback would be light years better than anything the Jets have had in recent memory. The question now is should the Jets get a deal done with Carr now while they can or should they wait until Aaron Rodgers decides his future?

Waiting for Rodgers could be greedy as no one has any idea what he is thinking at any time. If Rodgers decides he does not want to come to the Jets they could be left with no one. Carr could decide he does not want to wait and sign elsewhere. It is a risk, reward equation. I believe the risk is worth it and the Jets should do everything in their power to acquire Rodgers.

The Jets can win the Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers. I do not believe they can win the Super Bowl with Derek Carr. Carr is a decent QB and all but he is not someone who can carry a team. The Jets have talent but they are not one of the most talented teams in the NFL. They have holes on the OL, the WR core beyond Garrett Wilson is suspect, and the TEs are below average. Breece Hall is a stud but he may not be 100% next year. The defense was great last year but could be due for some regression.

The bottom line is the Jets are a great QB away from contention. Aaron Rodgers is the only great QB who is available. Lamar Jackson seems like a long shot. The Jets need to wait until Rodgers’ darkness retreat is over with a flashlight in hand so he can see the Jets are the only way forward.

The post Derek Carr and Jets are flirting but NY needs to slow down and wait for Aaron Rodgers appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

nah.  if you've fallen in love with carr, just sign him now.  as much as the idea of aaron rodgers in our ugly green jersey excites me, can't wait around for him to decide he wants to retire or go elsewhere and have Carr sign elsewhere.
I thought I just read that Rogers was going back to Green Bay anyway.. fake news ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JetNation said:

Waiting for Rodgers could be greedy as no one has any idea what he is thinking at any time. If Rodgers decides he does not want to come to the Jets they could be left with no one. Carr could decide he does not want to wait and sign elsewhere. It is a risk, reward equation. I believe the risk is worth it and the Jets should do everything in their power to acquire Rodgers.

no the risk is not worth it.

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, heymangold said:

nah.  if you've fallen in love with carr, just sign him now.  as much as the idea of aaron rodgers in our ugly green jersey excites me, can't wait around for him to decide he wants to retire or go elsewhere and have Carr sign elsewhere.

Agreed.  If you wait you potentially lose both options.  Also I’ve been very clear that I’m not a fan of giving up our first round puck for maybe a year of Rogers

• Upvote 2

GM’s get paid big $ to excel at evaluating & drafting quality players, navigate the Salary Cap while signing veteran players who can help the team and assembling a quality coaching staff.

JD certainly has had some missteps in all 3 categories, but the decision on Qb will determine what the next 3 years will look like for the Jets.
Trading away draft picks on AR and paying him $110 mil over 2 years can have short term benefits but cause long term pain

Signing Carr to a 4 year deal ends the Zach Wilson experiment once and for all and I’m OK with that. We did the kid an mis-service starting him year 1 and wish him well elsewhere. 
I prefer Rodgers, but Carr now appears to be the best path forward being able to keep our picks and structure the contract to serve our future best. 

Its all on JD now to make things happen.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Fallen in love?  Carr is the girl you go home with at closing time after lacking the nerve to go up to Rodgers because you don’t have game.   

That girl doesn’t get coffee and a donut in the morning and you want to give her a 4 year deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Fallen in love?  Carr is the girl you go home with at closing time after lacking the nerve to go up to Rodgers because you don’t have game.   

That girl doesn’t get coffee and a donut in the morning and you want to give her a 4 year deal.

Rogers is Glenn Close, Carr is Anne Archer. I know who I’d rather take home.

• More Ugh 1

45 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Nah, scrap this Rodgers and Carr saga and go get the dude that changes everything for this franchise.

Lamar Jackson Nfl GIF by Baltimore Ravens

Well get ready to fork over a ton of picks and cap space.  I don’t see it realistically Happening.  Also his recent injuries scare the crap out of me as a running QB especially since we need to fix the oline which will be harder if we tease away premium picks 

• WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Well get ready to fork over a ton of picks and cap space.  I don’t see it realistically Happening.  Also his recent injuries scare the crap out of me as a running QB especially since we need to fix the oline which will be harder if we tease away premium picks 

You gotta pay to play in this league and Lamar Jackson is a superstar former MVP who is 26 years old.  Give them and him, whatever they and he wants.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1

1 hour ago, JiF4Lamar said:

You gotta pay to play in this league and Lamar Jackson is a superstar former MVP who is 26 years old.  Give them and him, whatever they and he wants.

Not really true.  We’ve seen that you don’t have to have a superstar QB to win all the time. Philly win with a backup QB.  Also “giving them whatever they want” is not a recipe for success.  Although I’m sure Baltimore would love you as the Jets GM lol

12 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Not really true.  We’ve seen that you don’t have to have a superstar QB to win all the time. Philly win with a backup QB.  Also “giving them whatever they want” is not a recipe for success.  Although I’m sure Baltimore would love you as the Jets GM lol

I mean, have we really seen that though?  I dont think we have.   Nick Foles is jammed in there between, Mahomes, Brady, Manning, Stafford, ya know, Superstars.  You'd have to go back to Flacco or Eli for another example of a non-superstar.  Otherwise, its more Manning, Big Ben, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, ya know, Superstars.  

I think the better argument would have been the rookie contract argument but even that is way overstated as it's happened like 2 or 3 times in the last 20 years. 

So I'd say, yes, it's true, you have to pay to play.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

I mean, have we really seen that though?  I dont think we have.   Nick Foles is jammed in there between, Mahomes, Brady, Manning, Stafford, ya know, Superstars.  You'd have to go back to Flacco or Eli for another example of a non-superstar.  Otherwise, its more Manning, Big Ben, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, ya know, Superstars.  

I think the better argument would have been the rookie contract argument but even that is way overstated as it's happened like 2 or 3 times in the last 20 years. 

So I'd say, yes, it's true, you have to pay to play.

I think my point is pretty valid.  Not saying I wouldn’t  want Lamar but not at the cost of “whatever Baltimore wants” that’s never a good way of doing business lol.  TO be honest we’ve see that recently with teams paying a ton of draft picks for QBs and it hasn’t exactly worked out.  I don’t see Douglas doing that thankfully.  

11 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I think my point is pretty valid.  Not saying I wouldn’t  want Lamar but not at the cost of “whatever Baltimore wants” that’s never a good way of doing business lol.  TO be honest we’ve see that recently with teams paying a ton of draft picks for QBs and it hasn’t exactly worked out.  I don’t see Douglas doing that thankfully.  

2 years ago the Rams traded 2 first round picks and Jared Goff for Stafford and immediately won a Super Bowl.  Is that not recent enough?  lol

I assumed that we'd use some sense and reason here when I say "whatever they want".   I'm not advocating 5 1st round picks...but if they want 2?  **** yes you do that and dont think twice.  Nobody you're drafting in the next 2 years is having the impact Jackson would. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

37 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t understand people wanting to pay 40yo Aaron Rodgers $100 mil for two years and pay GB to let them do it, yet not want to bring in a 26yo Lamar Jackson, who would also cost us picks and millions but set us up with a young superstar in his prime for the next 10 or so years.

I favor going for Lamar for the same reasons you do, but a lot of people question Lamar's game going forward because of durability concerns and/or playstyle - Hence, the "young superstar" designation is not something everyone would agree on.

There's also the issue that Lamar hasn't actually been made available just yet. 

But I agree, I'd go for Lamar 100 out of 100 times over a 39 year old Aaron Rodgers. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

2 years ago the Rams traded 2 first round picks and Jared Goff for Stafford and immediately won a Super Bowl.  Is that not recent enough?  lol

I assumed that we'd use some sense and reason here when I say "whatever they want".   I'm not advocating 5 1st round picks...but if they want 2?  **** yes you do that and dont think twice.  Nobody you're drafting in the next 2 years is having the impact Jackson would. 

I never said it never works.  I was more pointing out Russell Wilson snd Watson.  Anyway I think we can agree to disagree on this 

They are also like 50mil over the cap. So the Bucs and Titans look like they are out of the mix after the events of the last 2 days. The Saints are making a lot of moves to get under the cap (again), but really how can they fit Carr? Who else is out there that could jump in? Panthers? They have a top 10 pick and that feels like a QB is going to get picked there…

Seems like this is a 2 team race between the Jets and Saints with the Jets the clear front runner, if it turns out they actually want him

3 hours ago, TommyT said:

I feel we are defaulting to Carr. I hate that feeling. We have gone from swinging for the fences to advancing runners. If we cannot get Rodgers or Lamar, I rather sign Minchew for one year and take a step back to figure this sh!t out.

Aside of extreme draft pick compensation, the $ with Rodgers and Lamar, plus Lamar wants his whole contract guaranteed will be crippling.

4 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Aside of extreme draft pick compensation, the $ with Rodgers and Lamar, plus Lamar wants his whole contract guaranteed will be crippling.

Assuming the Jets can get either one, I'm leaning towards Carr, more than Rogers at this point. Whoever they get, whatever the cost, I'm going to support the decision. I'm not going to second guess it or sh*t all over it for years to come, if things don't pan out. 

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t understand people wanting to pay 40yo Aaron Rodgers $100 mil for two years and pay GB to let them do it, yet not want to bring in a 26yo Lamar Jackson, who would also cost us picks and millions but set us up with a young superstar in his prime for the next 10 or so years.

its the whole contract guaranteed that worries me. and hes missed 9 games the last 2 years. im guessing thats Baltimore's problem too. not to mention that he missed those games to finish out both seasons when you need him the most.

he could be breaking down not able to finish 2 seasons in a row. if Baltimore wont sign a superstar in his prime for the next 10 years someone who they know, we need to take caution.

• Upvote 1

"The bottom line is the Jets are a great QB away from contention. Aaron Rodgers is the only great QB who is available."

Is he?  For sure?  He was but he is coming off a year no better than what Carr had last year and he is 40.  People are speculating that Rodgers is mvp Rodgers after an off year just like Denver thought they were getting 3 year ago Russel Wilson and Cleveland thought they were getting pre scandal Deshaun Watson.

• Upvote 2