Bobby Wagner being released by Rams. CJ over Wagner?

32EBoozer

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

But CJ’s cap hit is too high to stay without a market value salary reduction.  Reduce that $17M 2023 salary down to $10M.

Otherwise Jets will likely be forced to cut him post June 1.  In that scenario, believe Jets look to the draft for his replacement and use as an opportunity to get faster and younger.

I think someone here said his dead cap is kind of fake when looking at it like that. That money has already been paid in the signing bonus etc. if you notice if he’s cut next year it’s only 4 mil less dead cap then if cut this year. Maybe it was @Sperm Edwards who was talking about his cap hit?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

But CJ’s cap hit is too high to stay without a market value salary reduction.  Reduce that $17M 2023 salary down to $10M.

Otherwise Jets will likely be forced to cut him post June 1.  In that scenario, believe Jets look to the draft for his replacement and use as an opportunity to get faster and younger.

Faster & younger…. Probably.

Better…. Doubtful ( at least for a few years)

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

He’s a second team All Pro 

and a leader. You don’t get rid of a guy like that with all of itsramifications for maybe a lateral move. 

Wagner's career with the Seahawks is littered with success stories. Selected to seven Pro Bowls and is a seven-time AP All-Pro (six-time First-Team All-Pro). Wagner is the 11th linebacker in NFL history to earn first-team All-Pro honors six times.

2022- 2nd Team All-Pro

Edited by 32EBoozer

4 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I think someone here said his dead cap is kind of fake when looking at it like that. That money has already been paid in the signing bonus etc. if you notice if he’s cut next year it’s only 4 mil less dead cap then if cut this year. Maybe it was @Sperm Edwards who was talking about his cap hit?

He has a signing bonus proration of $1.5 Million in both 2023 and 2024.

He then has a restructure bonus probation of $3 Million (rounded up) in 2023, ad well as 24, 25 and 26.

If cut pre June 1, all of that is dead money.  If cut post June 1, only 2023 is hit in 2023.  The rest in 2024.  

Pre June 1 dead cap in 2023 is $15 Million, post $4.5 or savings of $6.5 or $17 million respectively.  (That 17 still has big hit in 2024.)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

CJ isn't going anywhere.

The ironic thing is Wagner signed with the Rams to win. Now he is leaving to join a winning team. Things changed fast there.

He is number 4 in AAV, he won't be at that number.  Imo.  Another restructure maybe, paycut is my guess.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

CJ isn't going anywhere.

The ironic thing is Wagner signed with the Rams to win. Now he is leaving to join a winning team. Things changed fast there.

$21.5M for a ‘good’ MIKE is too much.  Mosley should be a 2 down LB at this point, why did we draft Sherwood and not give him a shot on passing downs?

If we want to optimize this team, a guy like Mosley should asked to take a cut from his $17M salary that predates JD.

18 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

$21.5M for a ‘good’ MIKE is too much.  Mosley should be a 2 down LB at this point, why did we draft Sherwood and not give him a shot on passing downs?

If we want to optimize this team, a guy like Mosley should asked to take a cut from his $17M salary that predates JD.

Nobody is saying that contract is good. He makes 17 million this year and the cap hit is 21. But it isn't a treat to cut him. And he made the Pro Bowl. So he isn't going anywhere. 

They will optimize the team by improving safety play and getting a QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Nobody is saying that contract is good. He makes 17 million this year and the cap hit is 21. But it isn't a treat to cut him. And he made the Pro Bowl. So he isn't going anywhere. 

Considering his COVID vacation for All of 2020 I think he owes the team by restructuring for less $ at the least.

Why Jets’ C.J. Mosley opted out of season due to coronavirus concerns

“Mosley will sit out the 2020 season after playing just two games with the Jets in 2019. A severe groin injury cost him most of the season after he signed a five-year, $85 million deal as a free agent.”

Edited by 32EBoozer

Considering his COVID vacation for All of 2020 I think he owes the team by restructuring for less $ at the least.
“Mosley will sit out the 2020 season after playing just two games with the Jets in 2019. A severe groin injury cost him most of the season after he signed a five-year, $85 million deal as a free agent.”
He doesn't owe anyone anything ... He opted out like many others .. and I'm sure he had reasons.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I can't believe Huff is so much a negative in the run game that we are even having this conversation about not cutting Lawson or/or signing a Wagner.

Pay Huff and let him and JJ pick up the reps left by Lawson.  

This is one of the more easy moves JD should face this year.  It's kind of a no brainer.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

He doesn't owe anyone anything ... He opted out like many others .. and I'm sure he had reasons.

When teammates look to their Captain, who gives fiery pre-game speeches about “laying it all out there” and “No Quit” it sends a mixed message. 
Now it’s “All you guy’s fighting for your paycheck & trying to make the team,, lay it all out there and don’t quit!” 
If he wants to win with a good veteran Qb, offer to rework your deal.

11 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I never said his dead cap is fake.

I’ve said it doesn’t matter because that’s hitting future cap(s) whether he’s kept or not, and it isn’t “cheaper to keep him” for another year.

25 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

When teammates look to their Captain, who gives fiery pre-game speeches about “laying it all out there” and “No Quit” it sends a mixed message. 
Now it’s “All you guy’s fighting for your paycheck & trying to make the team,, lay it all out there and don’t quit!” 
If he wants to win with a good veteran Qb, offer to rework your deal.

“Rework” as in take a straight pay cut to ≤$5MM, where he only makes it back if he starts 15 reg season games plus all postseason games and the Jets win the SB (all or nothing; no partial credit)?

Yes I’m ok with that.

• Upvote 1

Mr. Coffee, the GM who keeps on giving    JD is soooo much better it's not even funny.  Even JD can't save us from the Mosley mistake.  Good player when he finally got on the field but all in all quite a sh!t show.      
Delusional .. you guys will miss Mosley

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

CJ can name 100 players off the top of his head that were done dirty by teams financially. I doubt he feels like he owes the Jets anything. He just made the pro bowl and is a key piece in one of the top defenses in the NFL.

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

But they need money for that, no?  Where is the money coming from?

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Leave CJ and his cap hit and draft an LB in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th.  OL, WR/TE/LB/S, WR/TE/LB/S

Agree we need to look for his replacement now.

Also agree OL, WR, S.

Disagree on TE.  Conklin, Uzomah and Ruckert aren’t going anywhere for varying reasons such as cap and all 3 seem to be quality players who will suddenly be much better w/ the right QB and OC who can actually utilize their skills.  Too many other needs on this team to quadruple down on another TE.

24 minutes ago, Maxman said:

CJ can name 100 players off the top of his head that were done dirty by teams financially. I doubt he feels like he owes the Jets anything. He just made the pro bowl and is a key piece in one of the top defenses in the NFL.

What’s the minimum salary for being on the 53 man roster? Isn’t it something like $400,000? Practice squad players $200,000? If players got done dirty, then I would suggest the CBA, and/or agents, may bare some responsibility.

5 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Agree we need to look for his replacement now.

Also agree OL, WR, S.

Disagree on TE.  Conklin, Uzomah and Ruckert aren’t going anywhere for varying reasons such as cap and all 3 seem to be quality players who will suddenly be much better w/ the right QB and OC who can actually utilize their skills.  Too many other needs on this team to quadruple down on another TE.

I just want them to get Mayers lol 

• Upvote 2