2 year rental question

doitny

i couldnt for the life of me understand why i big part of this board wants a 2 year rental. no matter who you mention, Rodgers, Carr, Tanney..etc.. 2years.

why?

then it hit me, i think most of you guys want to give Zach one last chance. the timeline fits. after 2 years he will be on his last year. 

or

draft another QB in 2 years.

both options are horribly wrong.

we have GW, Sause and Hall for 4 more years. we cant waste not one of them playing musical QB chairs. not one of those years on seeing if Zach got better or bringing in a rookie QB. 

sign Carr for 5 years and lets take 5 cracks at it. cause i can guarantee you after your 2 year rental leaves that will be the end of our cracks at the SB. and in year 4 of Carr we can draft his replacement and have him sit for 2 years, or even draft him in Carrs last year. 

wouldnt it be nice to not have to worry about the QB for the next 5 years? i cant remember the last time that happened. Chad? maybe O'brien. i honestly dont remember.

i really hope that giving Zach one more shot in 2 years isnt in there plan or were going to squander these young superstars we have. we need a solid QB for all 4 of their last years here.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Post of the Week 2

Don't forget that the Jets have a really good surrounding team right now. In 3 years, the Jets won't be able to keep everybody. So there's a window unless JD continues stellar drafting. 

If they go for Rodgers, hopefully it's because they think it opens up a 2 year SB window before he retires. Rodgers isn't going to stay long on the Jets if there isn't a thought of a window.

As for Carr, I would hope the Jets sign him for more than just 2 years anyways. Don't see ZW doing anything on this team, as much as I still think he has the potential to succeed.

• Upvote 1

I agree it’s because of the zwilson timeline. Zach probably has only this next season to sit and watch which is exactly what milfy should’ve done with him from 2021. But saleh chose to listen to milfy. I may sound like a broken record against milfy and I am reading between the lines. Saleh chose milfy and gave him too much rein to run the offense. It didn’t work. And before zwilson is judged let Hackett have a crack at coaching him. There is a ton of talent just waiting to be unlocked and it belongs to the jets.

• WTF? 1

43 minutes ago, doitny said:

i couldnt for the life of me understand why i big part of this board wants a 2 year rental. no matter who you mention, Rodgers, Carr, Tanney..etc.. 2years.

why?

then it hit me, i think most of you guys want to give Zach one last chance. the timeline fits. after 2 years he will be on his last year. 

or

we have GW, Sause and Hall for 4 more years. we cant waste not one of them playing musical QB chairs. not one of those years on seeing if Zach got better or bringing in a rookie QB. 

sign Carr for 5 years and lets take 5 cracks at it. cause i can guarantee you after your 2 year rental leaves that will be the end of our cracks at the SB. and in year 4 of Carr we can draft his replacement and have him sit for 2 years, or even draft him in Carrs last year. 

wouldnt it be nice to not have to worry about the QB for the next 5 years? i cant remember the last time that happened. Chad? maybe O'brien. i honestly dont remember.

i really hope that giving Zach one more shot in 2 years isnt in there plan or were going to squander these young superstars we have. we need a solid QB for all 4 of their last years here.

2 year plan for different reasons could work for each player, not just us.

- Rodgers likely 2 years left anyway

- Carr could make sense if he wants to cash in again at 33 years old once the cap blows up. We get to work on Zach while Carr gets paid market value if Zach does bust.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

24 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Joe Douglas’ refusal to give up on Zach Wilson will be the death knell of his career as the GM here. 

The only way we salvage him is 2-years behind Rodgers. I personally do not feel he can thrive in a big market. A good place for him is Seattle. Let Geno mentor him.

• Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What about those (myself among them) who think Rodgers is the best QB attainable and this has nothing to do with Wilson?

so Rodgers if your lucky for 2 years instead of Carr for 5? what happens after those 2 years your drafting another QB and pray we finally got it right and are not wasting all those young guys who have 2 years left? 

i rather have 5 shots instead of 2 maybe even one. cant trust that Rodgers wont pull some crap to get traded after one year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

2 year plan for different reasons could work for each player, not just us.

- Rodgers likely 2 years left anyway

- Carr could make sense if he wants to cash in again at 33 years old once the cap blows up. We get to work on Zach while Carr gets paid market value if Zach does bust.

players, but what works best for us?  letting Carr go in 2 years and giving Zach another shot? or keeping him for 5 years at which time the price that looks high now will be quite reasonable in 2-3 year.

i mean can you seriously tell me you want to give Zach one more shot and most likely throw away that season.? 

so that leaves us with a rookie QB in the final year of those young guys we have. we will blow 2 years of their remaining 4.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

“We must sign Derek Carr. Sure, it’d be fruitless and sad, but at least we get five years of it.”

5 years of making the playoffs and having a shot at the SB. who is your 2 year rental plan? and what do you do after the 2 years?

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

why?

or

sign Carr for 5 years and lets take 5 cracks at it”

Terrifying Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Another Dead End Derek thread.

Jet fans…….

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Rodgers is just a different class of player.

Yes, they will have 2+ drafts (‘24 and ‘25, presuming they don’t draft one this year) to find a QB for life after Rodgers.

I do see Carr as an upgrade, but also not enough of one to consider the Jets contenders for 5 straight years, and is certainly replaceable & upgradeable.

Guys I figured it out, the Carr delusion, it’s another Mandela effect probably 

• Haha 1

Regardless of who comes in or for how long we should all hope Zack improves as much as possible .  Hopefully whoever comes in leads the way and helps us win a championship while Wilson continues to improve.  He either shocks the world and takes over as the Jets long term answer at QB a few years down the road or his trade value increases as much as possible helping the team recoup some of the draft capital we invested in him.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What about those (myself among them) who think Rodgers is the best QB attainable and this has nothing to do with Wilson?

I actually think most fans are like you and just want Rodgers because he has the highest ceiling of any of the QBs realistically available, but I suspect the front office wants Zach to start in a year or 2 and I do think that impacts their decision making, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Team sport. 

Whichever of these loser QBs comes here, the team around them is going to be worse, simply by virtue of that QB eating up a significant portion of the cap. The Jets spent a lot of money last year just to get to 7-9, and that roster is about to get more expensive with Quinnen’s extension and Carr’s/Rodgers’/Garoppolo’s salaries. Even if they’re able to shuffle off a Carr cap bomb into future years, the Jets best chance of making a playoff run will probably be next season, before they have to start cutting their CB2’s, WR2’s and interior DL’s to make the math work. Hell, just to squeeze a QB in this year, we probably have to cut two of our top 4 receivers and the best EDGE defender. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

They want one last shot to be right on a messageboard and have Zach complete an unprecedented historic turnaround as a member of the NYJ. 

I’d still be shocked if Steve Young and Lisa Wilson don’t end up getting Zach Wilson to the West Coast post June 1. Jets would end up with ~$5.7mm dead cap this year and next, but with $4 mil in  savings this year. If the Niners get into camp and Purdy isn’t close to returning, Douglas could sneak Wilson out of here in the dead of night for a conditional pick or two. Douglas could then turn around and import Mike Evans or something to change the headline

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I’d still be shocked if Steve Young and Lisa Wilson don’t end up getting Zach Wilson to the West Coast post June 1. Jets would end up with ~$5.7mm dead cap this year and next, but with $4 mil in  savings this year. If the Niners get into camp and Purdy isn’t close to returning, Douglas could sneak Wilson out of here in the dead of night for a conditional pick or two. Douglas could then turn around and import Mike Evans or something to change the headline

Like we said Zach has to play “team guy” but his proxy warriors are going to be out for blood on his behalf to get him moved 

• Upvote 3

In my head. I want high level QB play for 2 years, which I think Rodgers would be. In that time you hope Douglas can continue to draft well. 2 year window with a young talented roster is good enough for Super Bowl hopes.

BUT-in that two year window I do want them to draft a QB in the first or second round and have him sit while Rodgers does his thing. Then you have the rookie and Zach battle it out 3 years from now. Both of them should get every single rep in preseason. 

Boom, transition to you talent QB. Dominate. This is too easy. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Feel like Douglas can only trade Wilson during the draft. Only way to sweep it under the rug with all the other commotion going on.