Jeremiah Suggest Jets Consider Drafting Another Tight End…and he’s Absolutely Right

JetNation

Darnell-Washington-scaled.jpg

Yes, the Jets may have added a trio of tight ends last off-season when they signed CJ Uzomah and Tyler Conklin before drafting Jeremy Ruckert of Ohio State with pick number 101, but NFL draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah says that may not be enough.  And in this case, we’d tend to agree.

Even with two tight ends signed this off-season, the Jets picking up Jeremy Ruckert is a solid move. Gives them a young player who can play all 3 downs and have an impact in run and pass game. pic.twitter.com/NhOot2LMxh

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) April 30, 2022

Yes, adding three tight ends should be enough to solidify the position for a few years and in all likelihood, the Jets have probably done that.  Uzomah, Conklin and Ruckert will give the jets a trio of good to very good tight ends who can offer something as pass catchers and blockers.  What they may not be able to do is bring the game-breaking ability that could be offered by some of the tight ends in this year’s class.

NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah, who has #Jets taking Georgia T Broderick Jones at 13, mentions TE + C as other needs. On a zoom call: “I know they signed all those TEs last year, but I still don't think they have a real dynamic, difference-making tight end.” Great year for TEs.

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) February 24, 2023

Having a tight end who can help move the chains and be a safety valve for your quarterback is clearly an asset, but a big play option would be welcome.  Take for example Georgia’s Darnell Washington.  A 6′ 7” athletic freak of nature, Washington’s numbers in college won’t wow you, but his game day performances will.

Does @GeorgiaFootball TE Darnell Washington enter the conversation as a possible round 1 tight end at some point? Couldn't imagine anyone being upset about having this freak in their offensive huddle. pic.twitter.com/BDYOo7TpOp

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) February 25, 2023

Capable of being both a punishing blocker and a receiver down the field, Washington averaged an impressive 17.2 yards per reception during his time as a Bulldog.  This, compared to Ruckert’s 11.4.  The only thing potentially stopping the Jets from adding a premium tight end is their draft position.  Do they value any of the top tight ends enough to consider them at thirteen?  It’s unlikely.  No matter how much they like Notre Dame’s Michael Mayer, Oregon Stat’s Luke Musgrave or Dalton Kincaid out of Utah.  All have been mentioned as being a top tight end, but who remains on the clock at pick 43?

No matter the Jets approach, Jeremiah isn’t wrong when he says the Jets should look to add a pass catcher at tight end who can be a difference maker on offense.

The post Jeremiah Suggest Jets Consider Drafting Another Tight End…and he’s Absolutely Right appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

I mentioned the same in another thread. 

Dalton Kincaid is the guy we should target. He's an Aaron Hernandez clone. Part time TE and slot receiver. Next season both Conklin and CJ are gone. Kincaid can fill in for Conklin and Ruckert for CJ. 

Only problem I see is that Kincaid I thought was a 2nd round guy. Jeremiah has him going 15th overall to the Packers in his mock. 

19 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I mentioned the same in another thread. 

Dalton Kincaid is the guy we should target. He's an Aaron Hernandez clone. Part time TE and slot receiver. Next season both Conklin and CJ are gone. Kincaid can fill in for Conklin and Ruckert for CJ. 

Only problem I see is that Kincaid I thought was a 2nd round guy. Jeremiah has him going 15th overall to the Packers in his mock. 

i had him as a steal in rnd 3-4 but i guess that cat is out of the bag... 

That said, DJ is the only guy felating Kincaid this much, so we'll see. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

this, and also DJ thinks Zach is still the answer -- so he can take a hike... Ruckert and the two TEs we have on the team is enough considering the scope of needs... and this is coming from me, of all ppl

Despite words on the screen, it's mad how overlooked Ruckert is, even by our own JN editorial crew. 

Hard to overlook what is not even there....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4361372/jeremy-ruckert

There is 0 chance the Jets draft a tight end.  They have 3 of them and yeboah is decent as well.  Ruckert is going to take over by years end and be the next George Kittle.
Joe .. what makes you say that?... I hope it's true ... But what have you seen that makes you say that ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yes, we should get a 4th tight end and maybe keep getting more receivers too and why not a few more running backs too while we’re at it.

Wait I forgot who is exactly is throwing the ball to all of these TE & WR players? 

Also who exactly is going to be blocking to allow our QB enough time to throw the ball to all of these TE’s & WR’a and also keep our QB from getting hurt?

Yeah I guess we should probably fix our QB and OL first before we keep adding more TE’s & WR’s.

Joe Douglas is forced to act like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest to try and make up for the failures that not ONLY he has made but the other draft picks that have failed miserably over the past decade. Just look at the wastefulness exhibited over the past 5 Aprilsimage.thumb.jpeg.6c72d860a9729b57b31791281542f560.jpeg

• WTF? 1

54 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Joe Douglas is forced to act like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest to try and make up for the failures that not ONLY he has made but the other draft picks that have failed miserably over the past decade. Just look at the wastefulness exhibited over the past 5 Aprilsimage.thumb.jpeg.6c72d860a9729b57b31791281542f560.jpeg

2020 crushed the franchise. 9 picks and 9 misses.

Wow .. just wow

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There is 0 chance the Jets draft a tight end.  They have 3 of them and yeboah is decent as well.  Ruckert is going to take over by years end and be the next George Kittle.

Cause I believe in Joe.  And Joe was so high on Ruckert he took him even though he just signed 2 tight ends in free agency.

You dont do that unless you think the player is an elite talent..

Ruckert is healthy now.  Watch out!!!!

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Joe .. what makes you say that?... I hope it's true ... But what have you seen that makes you say that ?

start with - his college tape, then add in the usual trajectory of quiet rookie years for TE, and then finish off with what he did show in week 18

It's on you if you're anything but optimistic

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Cause I believe in Joe.  And Joe was so high on Ruckert he took him even though he just signed 2 tight ends in free agency.

You dont do that unless you think the player is an elite talent..

Ruckert is healthy now.  Watch out!!!!

He was a healthy scratch the entire season basically

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

start with - his college tape, then add in the usual trajectory of quiet rookie years for TE, and then finish off with what he did show in week 18

It's on you if you're anything but optimistic

Was not familiar with his college play at all ... Just from what I heard from you guys during the draft .. then ... 1 catch ... So I was being sincere when asking that question ... Why so testy ?