Pitch clock

Bronx

Saw that Scherzer wore a "Pitch Comm" yesterday, indicating what he wants to throw. Which makes a lot of sense of veteran pitchers. They know how they want to work a catcher. Might also be a way to get Alvarez to the big leagues earlier.

And, as @section314 indicate, this is where baseball needs to be. Saw that the Mets played 2 games yesterday, both played just over 2:30. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Saw that Scherzer wore a "Pitch Comm" yesterday, indicating what he wants to throw. Which makes a lot of sense of veteran pitchers. They know how they want to work a catcher. Might also be a way to get Alvarez to the big leagues earlier.

And, as @section314 indicate, this is where baseball needs to be. Saw that the Mets played 2 games yesterday, both played just over 2:30. 

Also, Max struck a guy out yesterday in 30 secs.?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

When I went to a minor league game last year, it was so much better, faster, crisper. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

It blows . Stop changing the game . Saving 20 minutes per game really makes that much of a difference ? BULLCRAP !!!

Watching an OCD hitter adjust his batting gloves for 30 seconds after every pitch is good television?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I love it.  This will make the game better. Defensive will be better.  Viewing will be better.

Games are 25 minutes faster this spring compared to less spring.

With no less action.  Literally 25 minutes a games of guys standing, not doing anything athletic.

• Upvote 1

I don’t know much about it, but it seems like the clock starts when the catcher throws the ball back? So conceivably, the catcher could hold and slow down if he wanted?

I wonder if some pitchers are going to be able to keep up the pace later in games. Takes a toll on cardio to be able to throw quickly like that. I foresee more mistakes over the plate and also slower balls later into innings and games.

On 2/26/2023 at 6:06 AM, Bronx said:

Should make the game more interesting...

Well, at least different, faster and for the younger short attention span types, yes, more interesting.

Admittedly, the taking the batting gloves off and in after every pitch was a bore and the very slow pitchers a problem also.

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2023 at 8:52 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

I don’t know much about it, but it seems like the clock starts when the catcher throws the ball back? So conceivably, the catcher could hold and slow down if he wanted?

I wonder if some pitchers are going to be able to keep up the pace later in games. Takes a toll on cardio to be able to throw quickly like that. I foresee more mistakes over the plate and also slower balls later into innings and games.

I agree, some pitchers may tire faster, but you know what?  They've known about it for months, professional athletes should be in shape. 

I like it, you aren't actually losing any action, just less of people standing there, doing nothing.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I agree, some pitchers may tire faster, but you know what?  They've known about it for months, professional athletes should be in shape. 

I like it, you aren't actually losing any action, just less of people standing there, doing nothing.

Oh I definitely like it. Just thinking through how it'll affect the game going forward. I haven't watched a full baseball game since I was 15 and the yankees lost to the diamondbacks in 7. The few innings that I've seen of spring training here or there have definitely been interesting. We'll see how it holds up in the regular season.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Oh I definitely like it. Just thinking through how it'll affect the game going forward. I haven't watched a full baseball game since I was 15 and the yankees lost to the diamondbacks in 7. The few innings that I've seen of spring training here or there have definitely been interesting. We'll see how it holds up in the regular season.

Haha.  I was bar tending during that game, working at Camp Pendleton.  I got so pissed when they lost, I threw this big handful of bottle tops across the bar and wouldn't serve D-Backs fans.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

When it was tested in the minor leagues, the majority of players said they adjusted in about 2 months.

Spring training gives them a month head start to get acclimated.  By May/June this should be a non-issue unless of course a pitch clock ruling costs a team a game at some point.

These pitchers are likely to be the most-impacted early on, for those of you in fantasy leagues:

MLB's 'slowest' pitchers in 2022 (bases empty)

1. Jake Diekman, White Sox
  2. Craig Kimbrel, Phillies
  3. Camilo Doval, Giants
  4. Taylor Rogers, Giants
  5. José Suarez, Angels
  6. Erasmo Ramírez, Nationals
  7. Shohei Ohtani, Angels
  8. Luis Garcia, Astros
  9. Adam Ottavino, Mets
  10. Michael Kopech, White Sox

And with runners on base...

MLB's 'slowest' pitchers in 2022 (runners on)

1. Frankie Montas, Yankees
  2. Josiah Gray, Nationals
  3. Garcia
  4. Ohtani
  5. J.P. Sears, A's
  6. Zac Gallen, Diamondbacks
  7. Rafael Montero, Astros
  8. Martín Pérez, Rangers
  9. Mike Clevinger, White Sox
  10. Aaron Nola, Phillies

Some other notable "slow" workers: Corbin Burnes, Yu Darvish, Alek Manoah, Lucas Giolito, Blake Snell, Max Fried

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2023-mlb-rule-changes-which-pitchers-could-be-most-affected-by-pitch-clock-including-shoehi-ohtani/

The pitch clock was way overdue. I have been to a number of AAA games with the pitch clock in use and it makes the game go at a much better pace.

I am totally against banning the shift. These are professional athletes they should be able to hit a baseball anywhere. This all came about from launch angles and exit velo and the strikeouts are not bad mentality. 

The larger bases. Don't really care

Pickoffs - Not sure I like it yet. Gonna wait and see on it

• Upvote 3

None of these players should complain, they did it to themselves, with batting gloves, kicking the rubber, walking around for no good reason, ten times an inning to a resin bag, it made baseball miserable, now they have no choice, go up there and hit, get on the rubber and throw the damn ball.

They did this to themselves, thinking we wanted to watch their crap.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I like the pitch clock. Baseball purists should too because games didn’t used to take 5 hours. my only problem is I hate the thought of a big game being decided by it. 

Everybody will be well acclimated with it by the time "big games" come around.  I'm not worried about it at all.

And even if it DID happen:  Well it's part of the furniture of the game like it or not.  Deal with it, losing team.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, Scott Dierking said:

What is a pitch comm? He told the catcher the pitch?

2:30 baseball would be so refreshing. I miss the old Tommy John 2 hour games.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:03 AM, shawn306 said:

The pitch clock was way overdue. I have been to a number of AAA games with the pitch clock in use and it makes the game go at a much better pace.

I am totally against banning the shift. These are professional athletes they should be able to hit a baseball anywhere. This all came about from launch angles and exit velo and the strikeouts are not bad mentality. 

The larger bases. Don't really care

Pickoffs - Not sure I like it yet. Gonna wait and see on it

I always hoped the shift would have people hitting .420 which would have ended the shift. Didn't happen.

I like the thought of having everyone in the infield, the shift was getting so out of control.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

What is a pitch comm? He told the catcher the pitch?

2:30 baseball would be so refreshing. I miss the old Tommy John 2 hour games.

Yes, Max was communicating to the catch what he would throw, rather than vice versa. The games are much more crisp right now, even as exhibition, which can usually be a slog.