For the people who think NY/NJ taxes don’t matter

extmenace

“For right now, I definitely want to keep playing,” Poyer said on his podcast. “I’m excited. I’m going to enjoy this process. Not really sure what to expect. I do know I’m a ball player, so whatever team does get J-Po, I believe they’re going to be better. So, I’m excited for what’s to come. If that’s Buffalo, I’ve been out there six years and know what to do. If not, that’s just part of the business. A lot of people ask me, ‘Oh, if it wasn’t Buffalo, where would you go?’ I kind of ponder the question every once in a while. . . . I would love to go to a state that doesn’t take half my money. It’s crazy to me how taxes work. Some people will say, ‘You’re already making X amount of money.’ Taxes play a big part in all of our lives. . . . If it wasn’t Buffalo, it’d be nice to be warm. It would be nice to see the sun, maybe, every week or so, every other week at least.”

• Upvote 4

I don’t know exactly how state taxes work as far as nfl players go.  Somebody looked at Kirk cousins choice between no and Minnesota and said the tax difference was essentially nil.  But ny and tenn?  Or ny and Florida or Texas?  I know if I wanted to reside in a low tax state I would have to be there over six months of any year. I would think that tenn or Texas or Florida players still only pay the state taxes in the state they reside even though they play games outside of their home state.

16 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Right, but if you play in Vegas, FL, texas for example, your contract is worth more. Some people completely disregard this part of the decision process for why we have a hard time signing high quality free agents. It’s a big deal.

How many high priced FAs have turned the Jets down due to taxes?  

• Upvote 1

Just now, extmenace said:

Their agents do though. You don’t think that kind of stuff is broken down when they are evaluating their offers?

Yes I’m sure there’s an apples to apples discussion for take home pay. Whether it matters to everyone is another story.

Taxes and quality of life matter.   It's more than money.  If you're a young professional with a family there's the quality of housing, schools, services and access to entertainment and dining that all come into the equation.   Safety is part of the equation.  Ego comes into the equation.  Some guys want to be a big fish in a small pool.  

If you're going into a second contract worth millions of dollars and you have a family, making a decision based soley on tax rates seems amazingly short sighted.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Taxes and quality of life matter.   It's more than money.  If you're a young professional with a family there's the quality of housing, schools, services and access to entertainment and dining that all come into the equation.   Safety is part of the equation.  Ego comes into the equation.  Some guys want to be a big fish in a small pool.  

If you're going into a second contract worth millions of dollars and you have a family, making a decision based soley on tax rates seems amazingly short sighted.  

10% off the top simply for living in NY is going to factor in for some. Quality of life in Buffalo vs Florida for pro athletes is a no brainer I’d imagine.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The quality of life in Florida ain't so great.  Florida has a relatively high cost of living.  It ranks 36th in health care.  It ranks above average in crime.  You have a higher risk of lossing property or your home to weather related dissasters.   Public transportation is terrible.  They have the highest percentage of motorists in their 80's and 90's on the road and a very high auto death rate.  The summers are insufferable. Tons of bugs, rats, snakes and gators.   Public education is among the worst in the 50 states.  

What to you is a no brainer isn't a no brainer to a lot of young wealthy families.  It's a great place to go to for a vacation but it's not a great place to live year round.  

99% of the stuff being listed here is not going to factor in for pro athletes. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The taxes thing is so overblown. 98 percent of free agents aren’t deciding based on taxes. Every now and then one guys says something and everyone jumps on it. 

We get it. You don’t like taxes. Stop pushing your political narrative to football

Political narrative?  Regardless of political affiliation, nobody likes taxes except the politicians who always thirst for more to spend.  Maybe you can twist his desire to play in warmer weather into a red state/blue state narrative also. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

“For right now, I definitely want to keep playing,” Poyer said on his podcast. “I’m excited. I’m going to enjoy this process. Not really sure what to expect. I do know I’m a ball player, so whatever team does get J-Po, I believe they’re going to be better. So, I’m excited for what’s to come. If that’s Buffalo, I’ve been out there six years and know what to do. If not, that’s just part of the business. A lot of people ask me, ‘Oh, if it wasn’t Buffalo, where would you go?’ I kind of ponder the question every once in a while. . . . I would love to go to a state that doesn’t take half my money. It’s crazy to me how taxes work. Some people will say, ‘You’re already making X amount of money.’ Taxes play a big part in all of our lives. . . . If it wasn’t Buffalo, it’d be nice to be warm. It would be nice to see the sun, maybe, every week or so, every other week at least.”

if you are a star athlete and u cant figure out how to make 9% more in NY/CA over Florida or Texas...i got nothing for you.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Green DNA said:

Political narrative?  Regardless of political affiliation, nobody likes taxes except the politicians who always thirst for more to spend.  Maybe you can twist his desire to play in warmer weather into a red state/blue state narrative also. 

Point Up Valour Fc GIF by OneSoccer

I don't know if its social media or what but there seems to be a trend of people saying "people don't think X matters/is a factor/is important/is talked about" when I've never seen anyone say anything to the contrary. 

When Tyreek Hill chose Miami the eight figure tax loss he would take if he took the same contract to play for the Jets was talked about ad nauseum. I think everyone understands its a disadvantage. The reality is NYC probably was a selling point to a lot of people for the past fifty years due to its presence in culture. Now I still believe it is a "destination" pro athletes would want to come - but I don't know if it'd be considered top three. Every team has its own advantages/disadvantages - imagine trying to get free agents to come to GB w/o a HOF level QB... NYC MSA is still an advantage IMO - just not as strong as it used to be... 

• Upvote 2

The NFL should take a page from major league baseball. Hold your entire training camps in an income tax free state like Arizona. Those are where the big earnings come from for many players and allows them to save a sizable chunk in taxes

Instead of having their practice facility in Florham Park, NJ the Jets host it in "Jets-West Facility", Mesa, AZ.

Hold training camp there  and injured players report there for the rest of the year

4 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Nobody likes taxes but the richest Americans with families live and work in many of the highest taxed communities in the country.  They have good schools, access to the best medical care in the world and they're safe.  They also have like minded successful people living in those communities.  

I moved from CT to AZ 10 years ago.  Moved back to CT 2 years ago.  I pay more in taxes.  The quality of life for me is better in CT.  If you can afford the life style, life style actually matters.  Taxes is simply part of that equation.  

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The taxes thing is so overblown. 98 percent of free agents aren’t deciding based on taxes. Every now and then one guys says something and everyone jumps on it. 

We get it. You don’t like taxes. Stop pushing your political narrative to football

What are you talking about? It comes up all the time including Ty Hill choosing between Florida and NJ. It’s a huge difference.

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Nobody likes taxes but the richest Americans with families live and work in many of the highest taxed communities in the country.  They have good schools, access to the best medical care in the world and they're safe.  They also have like minded successful people living in those communities.  

I moved from CT to AZ 10 years ago.  Moved back to CT 2 years ago.  I pay more in taxes.  The quality of life for me is better in CT.  If you can afford the life style, life style actually matters.  Taxes is simply part of that equation.  

NYC public schools are terrible. 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 2

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

if you are a star athlete and u cant figure out how to make 9% more in NY/CA over Florida or Texas...i got nothing for you.

I know people say this - but how do they actually make more money? No NYC player was in the top ten for most endorsed athletes in the NFL. The NBA most endorsed athletes are basically exactly who you'd expect (1 Bron 2 KD 3 Steph). Social media followers none of the NYC players are top 10 - I didn't look up NBA but I guess its bron/kd/steph/giannis etc. 

There is really no proof in the social media age that being in a bigger market = more endorsements as far as I can tell. How many national games have the Jets been on the past few years? You get exposure these days by being great - not b/c you're based in a major market. If you're talking about developing business relationships maybe but I think thats more a function of how much you care about that stuff and how hard you opt to pursue it. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Matt39 said:

NYC isn't CT.   reading is fundamental! :-)

some NYC schools are very good.  I have heard so so about Florida public schools.  although to be honest everyone i know who moved to WPB for taxes sends their kids to private school.

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

NYC isn't CT.   reading is fundamental! :-)

some NYC schools are very good.  I have heard so so about Florida public schools.  although to be honest everyone i know who moved to WPB for taxes sends their kids to private school.

Yes football players send their kids to private schools. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Almost every major MSA has poor public schools within the city limits. 

He mentioned Connecticut and high earners. Connecticut has the 2nd best schools in the country and NYC has the best private schools in the country. I don't think anyone on the Jets actually lives in NYC and if they do I can assure you they aren't sending their kids to PS whatever. 

Regardless, many of the public services that make people inclined to deal w/ the brutal state taxes are not really a factor for athletes at all given how much money they make.