Jump to content

Worst part about Zach


AFJF

Recommended Posts

It's all mental. 

In college? No accuracy issues, hung in the pocket to make throws more frequently and had a visible confidence in throwing the ball that just isn't there anymore.

Swings, screens, intermediate passes, deep ball, tight coverage, wide open, velocity, touch, mobility.  Could do all of that until he spent a few months with the Jets.  Then we went to having to celebrate a properly executed screen pass or dump off because it was "progress".

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I respectfully disagree. BYU played some real good teams where Zach had success. He just lost all confidense in a way that I have never seen in an athlete. Much worse than Mackey Sasser, Chuck Knoblach, and Chris Dudley (Yale grad who couldnt hit a foul shot for his life in the NBA). There are throws Zach makes that other QBs in the NFL simply cant. If we did not take him at 2 he would not have lasted much longer. Athletic ability that separated him from others. Think he just spiralled with his confidense and NY pressure was too much. 

All 100% correct, but much easier to put it down to playing at BYU.  

I mean, look at guys like Kurt Warner, Joe Flacco, Steve Young and Steve McNair.  No way they could play in the NFL coming out of their respective schools.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Too simple and too wrong.  

Sometimes it is simple. He drifts back and to his right every time he sees pressure. He bails quickly. It’s one of those things that’s kind of innate I think. If he ran more you might be able tolive with it.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I respectfully disagree. BYU played some real good teams where Zach had success. He just lost all confidense in a way that I have never seen in an athlete. Much worse than Mackey Sasser, Chuck Knoblach, and Chris Dudley (Yale grad who couldnt hit a foul shot for his life in the NBA). There are throws Zach makes that other QBs in the NFL simply cant. If we did not take him at 2 he would not have lasted much longer. Athletic ability that separated him from others. Think he just spiralled with his confidense and NY pressure was too much. 

I don’t think it’s something he lost. The getting jittery in the pocket because of the rush was going to always be an issue. Just go watch his BYU games he’s 15 yards behind the line with no one near him.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, AFJF said:

With all due respect, that's just a lazy narrative.  Not being able to complete an 8 yard pass with no pressure or defenders in the area has nothing to do with level of competition.  That's a broken QB.

Saying he is broken is implying he was in good order prior to some event(s).  He was never in good order.  He was a college sprint out QB that can not produce even marginal results in the NFL.  He should have been categorized as DO NOT DRAFT.  But JD loves his "FREAKS".  Look how Zach Wilson can run around and look how far he can throw a football.  Look how HUGE Becton is...

Too bad neither was judged on their ability to play NFL football as a minimum.

Love those FREAKS

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

His receivers had better hands at BYU and he got better coaching.

So there’s that too.  
 

He’ll be great.

considering that milfy allegedly pounded the table for zach it's pretty strange that he wasn't able to coach him.  did he think he would just show up and execute his plays to perfection?  milfy is/was the problem and he's gone.  lets see what hackett can do.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Saying he is broken is implying he was in good order prior to some event(s).  He was never in good order.  He was a college sprint out QB that can not produce even marginal results in the NFL.  He should have been categorized as DO NOT DRAFT.  But JD loves his "FREAKS".  Look how Zach Wilson can run around and look how far he can throw a football.  Look how HUGE Becton is...

Too bad neither was judged on their ability to play NFL football as a minimum.

Love those FREAKS

 

Dude....

Again, I am a card-carrying Anti-Zach guy, but who else do you pick?  We needed a QB.  

Zach was the best of the rest after Lawrence.  

I mean Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Mac Jones, Kellen Mond, Davis Mills. 

If we don't draft a QB, JD would already be gone.  Sometimes, you just have to accept that the choice was no choice.  We don't win that game, everyone right now would probably be happy with our QB situation.  

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Milfy was Zach’s only problem, they wouldn’t be begging every free agent quarterback in football to come take Zach’s job. 

That’s a good point. I think the jets realize that milfy ruined Zach’s confidence and they need to derisk this next season.  It’s obvious Flacco isn’t coming back and mfw also has limitations and will probably sign elsewhere.  So they can bring in a sure fire guy like Rodgers or a second tier guy like garapollo and be fairly certain the team will be playoff bound.  Where does that leave Zach? It kind of puts him right back to year zero and he will be able to sit and learn.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think it’s something he lost. The getting jittery in the pocket because of the rush was going to always be an issue. Just go watch his BYU games he’s 15 yards behind the line with no one near him.

He gets jittery in the pocket because that’s what really young, really inexperienced QBs do.  They get nervous and bail instead of stepping up in the pocket

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...