2023 Yankees Thread

Maxman

On 3/26/2023 at 1:44 PM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Yankees are going to be so bad this year, buckle up.

They will win the division. The lineup is going to be sick.

I think as much as I hate him Donaldson can produce more than he did last year. I don't like how they handled left field but if they get any production there the lineup is pretty good.

Volpe over IKF is going to be a nice upgrade offensively.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

They will win the division. The lineup is going to be sick.

I think as much as I hate him Donaldson can produce more than he did last year. I don't like how they handled left field but if they get any production there the lineup is pretty good.

Volpe over IKF is going to be a nice upgrade offensively.

You might be right the division isn’t enough though and I’m preparing myself accordingly because I’m not sure they can get much done beyond that. 

6 minutes ago, Barton said:

Signing outfielders like frenchy Cordero a day before opening day because you couldn’t give benintendi a 5th year. Oh and you gave up 3 prospects for him 6 months ago. 

Quit whining about it.  The 3 prospects are gone, you can't change that.  Franchy Cordero is a tools guy.  At least they will have a pinch runner.  I know Bader seems like he is out forever, but he probably won't be.  

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Quit whining about it.  The 3 prospects are gone, you can't change that.  Franchy Cordero is a tools guy.  At least they will have a pinch runner.  I know Bader seems like he is out forever, but he probably won't be.  

Left field will be another black hole this year. Yankees are in a win now window. They messed up not resigning Benny. They will have to unload more prospects in another trade now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

Left field will be another black hole this year. Yankees are in a win now window. They messed up not resigning Benny. They will have to unload more prospects in another trade now.

Probably, but I am not sure I wanted to go 5 years for him either.  They were at a historic pace with Joey Gallo in left and Donaldson at 3rd.  All I heard last year was that anybody would be better than Gallo.  Now we are going to whine that we are so bad off?

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Probably, but I am not sure I wanted to go 5 years for him either.  They were at a historic pace with Joey Gallo in left and Donaldson at 3rd.  All I heard last year was that anybody would be better than Gallo.  Now we are going to whine that we are so bad off?

I hear you. But I called them overrated during that great stretch if you recall. Their starting pitching had the lowest era of any team in mlb history in its first 60-70 games. It wasn’t sustainable. 2nd half the team was .500……. Cashman just doesn’t get it. Lineups need balance. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Bader will be lucky to play 50 games .... This team with its veteran hitters could have given Dominguez a chance he was tearing it up in Spring training I mean why not ? He's been in the system now for 3 years since he was 17 its not like he needs more time its baseball not rocket science. Baseball is a hot/cold sport always has been we're lucky Volpe happened to get hot this spring or he would have went back as well and that's horse sh*t . This line -up needed some young electric players to spark it and that's what Volpe Cabrara will bring and also what Dominguez would have brought as well. Other teams bring up 20 year old's all the time not Cashman.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Barton said:

I hear you. But I called them overrated during that great stretch if you recall. Their starting pitching had the lowest era of any team in mlb history in its first 60-70 games. It wasn’t sustainable. 2nd half the team was .500……. Cashman just doesn’t get it. Lineups need balance. 

exactly the Yankees are loaded down with big hitters with no one to set the table. batting Judge 2nd and at times first was criminal due to some jackass metric. Metrics are destroying the sport they are destroying this teams ability to play small ball which is a huge part of the game when you run into a hot pitcher and that 3 run homer is NOT coming. Hitting behind runners moving runners over bunting runners over all seem lost in todays game and its ruining the game IMHO

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Barton said:

Signing outfielders like frenchy Cordero a day before opening day because you couldn’t give benintendi a 5th year. Oh and you gave up 3 prospects for him 6 months ago. 

Dude I just saw that signing and wanted to throw up.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

58 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't there a possibility the shift limits will help their batting?

Yes ,  and it will but this team still cant scratch out a run when needed in the playoffs ... regular season for the Yankees is nothing playoffs is everything and if we are down by a run in the ninth vs a playoff caliber pitching staff the game is all but over.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Yes ,  and it will but this team still cant scratch out a run when needed in the playoffs ... regular season for the Yankees is nothing playoffs is everything and if we are down by a run in the ninth vs a playoff caliber pitching staff the game is all but over.  

Cashman and his team of nerds just look at ops, exit velocity and WAR. What they don’t realize is you need different skill sets throughout the lineup. Some guys are just slicing/slappy inside out singles hitters who also draw walks at a high clip (benintendi). But cashman will look at his exit velo and mediocre power numbers and go ehhh I can sign xyz slugger with equal or better OPS numbers. Meanwhile that replacement strikes out too much,  has a low batting average and nobody gets on base for Judge consistently. and the team has too many strike outs along with terrible batting averages up and down the lineup. Every year it’s the same thing with this lineup. Look at the Yankees batting averages last year. Beyond terrible. Middle of the lineup has 3 guys hitting .230 lol. How are you gonna win like that?  Cashman is terrible.

• Upvote 2

Cashman and his team of nerds just look at ops, exit velocity and WAR. What they don’t realize is you need different skill sets throughout the lineup. Some guys are just slicing/slappy inside out singles hitters who also draw walks at a high clip (benintendi). But cashman will look at his exit velo and mediocre power numbers and go ehhh I can sign xyz slugger with equal or better OPS numbers. Meanwhile that replacement strikes out too much,  has a low batting average and nobody gets on base for Judge consistently. and the team has too many strike outs along with terrible batting averages up and down the lineup. Every year it’s the same thing with this lineup. Look at the Yankees batting averages last year. Beyond terrible. Middle of the lineup has 3 guys hitting .230 lol. How are you gonna win like that?  Cashman is terrible.
I get what you are saying but they scored the most runs in the AL and second in all of baseball. Their OPS was 4th.

The problem is when they run up against top pitching. That's when they struggle. But man they hit the crap out of the mediocre to bad pitchers.
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

I get what you are saying but they scored the most runs in the AL and second in all of baseball. Their OPS was 4th.

The problem is when they run up against top pitching. That's when they struggle. But man they hit the crap out of the mediocre to bad pitchers.

They aren’t consistent like the Astros. I don’t want to hear about OPS anymore. Nobody on the 98 Yankees hit more than 28 home runs. Nobody. But they had a 1-5 of guys hitting over .300…..This team needs guys who hit for a high average, make contact and draw walks. And yes alittle 15-20 homer pop. That’s why the Astros are a much better offense. .300 type hitters up and down the lineup, guys who battle, make contact etc. 

They aren’t consistent like the Astros. I don’t want to hear about OPS anymore. Nobody on the 98 Yankees hit more than 28 home runs. Nobody. But they had a 1-5 of guys hitting over .300…..This team needs guys who hit for a high average, make contact and draw walks. And yes alittle 15-20 homer pop. That’s why the Astros are a much better offense. .300 type hitters up and down the lineup, guys who battle, make contact etc. 
You will get no argument from me. I grew up watching baseball in the 70's and 80's. But the game has changed. Whenever I try to talk about batting average with my 27 year old son he tells me BA is worthless. It's crazy.

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, Barton said:
Didn’t see a 2 strike approach from volpe with the man on 3rd and 1 out. Swung out of his shoes. Hopefully that doesn’t continue. We don’t need that. 

Tough crowd, lol.

1st MLB game, gets a walk, steals a base.