2023 Yankees Thread

Maxman

7 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

The Martian is hitting .081 in Double A so far.

Benny would have the 2nd highest batting average on the team right now, too. Elite contact skills with a low strikeout rate and high OBP. Oh and a gold glove too. Also steals bases. But the Yankees couldn’t go beyond 4 years on this 28 yr old! Hahahaha cashman is an effing moron. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Benny would have the 2nd highest batting average on the team right now, too. Elite contact skills with a low strikeout rate and high OBP. Oh and a gold glove too. Also steals bases. But the Yankees couldn’t go beyond 4 years on this 28 yr old! Hahahaha cashman is an effing moron. 

Cashman is terrible.  

I agreed on not signing Ben 10 for a 5 year deal.  However the lack of flexibility on the team is why.  Cash traded for that awful Stanton deal,It's  Cash traded for old Donaldson, Cash traded a starting pitcher for an injured center fielder.  Cash gave an always injured Hicks a 7 year deal.  Cash traded major assets for injured pitchers.   How do you trade major prospects for pitchers and not insist on an MRI to clear the shoulder/elbow?

It's April, and they have what, 80 million plus on the injured list?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Cashman is terrible.  

I agreed on not signing Ben 10 for a 5 year deal.  However the lack of flexibility on the team is why.  Cash traded for that awful Stanton deal,It's  Cash traded for old Donaldson, Cash traded a starting pitcher for an injured center fielder.  Cash gave an always injured Hicks a 7 year deal.  Cash traded major assets for injured pitchers.   How do you trade major prospects for pitchers and not insist on an MRI to clear the shoulder/elbow?

Bro, exactly. Even though Hal is alittle cheap, it’s mostly the fault of his GM who doesn’t allocate the payroll properly. 

• Upvote 1

Yankees hitting coach has a philosophy of “hit strikes hard”. This alone tells you how stupid this team is. You do NOT have to hit strikes hard to get base hits. This lineup is swing and miss, guys swinging out of their shoes with 2 strikes,1 out and a guy on 3rd base. 

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

1 earned run again

Their 5-9 hitters are a literal joke.   This is on Cashman, he built their roster.

Cashman has been clueless forever but he’s a true Teflon man.

there are kids in the system who can play but Yankees will teach them to sell out for the HR and we will get more of the same.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, chirorob said:

1 earned run again

Their 5-9 hitters are a literal joke.   This is on Cashman, he built their roster.

I have a hard time seeing this time doing anything in the playoffs.  Our starting pitching outside of Cole is not good.  Even after Rodon comes back.  Severino looked trash in Spring Training.  What the heck happened to that guy?

Lineup has no depth.  We don't even have a closer in the bullpen.  Robertson was available last offseason and would have run back here.  He has 4 saves for the Mets and a 0.96 ERA  Cashman is really starting to look like a huge liability.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2023 at 9:01 AM, chirorob said:

Cashman is terrible.  

Cashman traded for bad contracts and signed bad contracts and now that Ohtani will be available next Winter watch Cashman throw up his hands that he can't do nothing.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I have a hard time seeing this time doing anything in the playoffs.  Our starting pitching outside of Cole is not good.  Even after Rodon comes back.  Severino looked trash in Spring Training.  What the heck happened to that guy?

Lineup has no depth.  We don't even have a closer in the bullpen.  Robertson was available last offseason and would have run back here.  He has 4 saves for the Mets and a 0.96 ERA  Cashman is really starting to look like a huge liability.

Robertson is also a guy who has proven he can handle NY, and the playoffs, which makes him even more appealing.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2023 at 7:56 AM, Barton said:

NAW, bad luck with his injury last season  But  with judge and probably Bader going to be in the OF a long time, much better to look at Peieria , Spencer Jones and the Martian Dominguez, as the long term answers in LF, the killer is Stanton and Hicks terrible contracts, not losing Benentendi , who we needed, along with a healthy DJ and Carpenter, last season, to make a real run.

4 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Cashman traded for bad contracts and signed bad contracts and now that Ohtani will be available next Winter watch Cashman throw up his hands that he can't do nothing.

Well, he can’t.

you don’t want huge, huge penalties distributed to Tampa Bay that they will use to beat you and you lose #1  draft picks also spending any more, however, just having Donaldson off the books next year saves you about 20 million so, he could find the money,  problem is Othani wants to be closer to Japan and his family and isn’t coming in either event.

52 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

NAW, bad luck with his injury last season  But  with judge and probably Bader going to be in the OF a long time, much better to look at Peieria , Spencer Jones and the Martian Dominguez, as the long term answers in LF, the killer is Stanton and Hicks terrible contracts, not losing Benentendi , who we needed, along with a healthy DJ and Carpenter, last season, to make a real run.

Ya let’s count on single A prospects for a win now team. 

On 4/26/2023 at 3:02 PM, Leftylarry said:

Well, he can’t.

you don’t want huge, huge penalties distributed to Tampa Bay that they will use to beat you and you lose #1  draft picks also spending any more, however, just having Donaldson off the books next year saves you about 20 million so, he could find the money,  problem is Othani wants to be closer to Japan and his family and isn’t coming in either event.

Ohtani is getting paid.  Cashman May have to salary dump Rizzo to try to sign Ohtani in addition to Donaldson mercifully coming off the books.  It’s probably the only move that actually gives us a shot at a World Series in the next several years

11 hours ago, Barton said:

A team serious about winning doesnt go into the season with a LF philosophy of "lets throw poo against the wall and see what sticks"

And they definitely wouldnt still have Aaron Hicks on the team. Literally cant even catch the ball anymore. 

What choice do they have, they have too many bad contracts thanks to Cashman and a bunch of good OF prospects in the minors, a year or worst case two years away.

19 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

C128E39E-7D8A-4495-A9C9-B99B7AE6249A.jpeg

On 4/26/2023 at 4:47 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

you are worried about spring training now?

I doubt starting pitching will be the issue in July.

19 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Ohtani is getting paid.  Cashman May have to salary dump Rizzo to try to sign Ohtani in addition to Donaldson mercifully coming off the books.  It’s probably the only move that actually gives us a shot at a World Series in the next several years

Othani is interested in being on the West coast, closer to his family, the rest is academic.

Benintendi wasn’t valued as by the Yankees highly because his exact velocity isn’t great lol. Ever heard of slicing the ball, Brian? What was tony Gwynn’s exit velocity when he hit a million singles to left field? Analytics nerd idiot GM. 

Yanks are a .500 ish team again. Same old same ol. Boone doesn’t bring energy to the team. Cashman is a dingbat. Barely worth paying attention to this team aside from seeing if Volpe progresses, who has zero 2 strike approach, likely due to organizational philosophy. Yankees ever draft high ability contact hitters?? Nope. 

6 hours ago, Barton said:

Seat is getting warm for Boone. Hopefully Cashman too.

This team is bleh, led by a california noodle manager who was a follower as a player and not one of the team leaders. 

How they both survived I have no idea. Cashman especially. This team had no plan at closer. He signs people who get hurt and he is rewarded with an extension.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Barton said:

Seat is getting warm for Boone. Hopefully Cashman too.

This team is bleh, led by a california noodle manager who was a follower as a player and not one of the team leaders. 

Boone will take the fall, but this is on Cashman

Saturday night, they had 6 hitters under 220, and only 3 guys with any power at all playing.  There is no way this team scores more than 2 runs a game with that lineup.   The roster contrustion is on Cashman.

I've stayed quiet since the season started...hell, it's only one month of baseball.  BUT, this is just too much to take even though the season has 5-6 months to go.  I blame the Steinbrenner's, Cash, Boone, and just about anyone else responsible for this terrible start...worst I've seen in decades.  I hate saying this, but I'm beginning to wonder if some of these players are taking some kind of PED with all these injuries.  Especially Stanton with all these muscle type injuries.  Adding gasoline to this dumpster fire is that Rays team with their pittance payroll and 15,000 fans that show up at the ballpark...do they even have road fans?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I've stayed quiet since the season started...hell, it's only one month of baseball.  BUT, this is just too much to take even though the season has 5-6 months to go.  I blame the Steinbrenner's, Cash, Boone, and just about anyone else responsible for this terrible start...worst I've seen in decades.  I hate saying this, but I'm beginning to wonder if some of these players are taking some kind of PED with all these injuries.  Especially Stanton with all these muscle type injuries.  Adding gasoline to this dumpster fire is that Rays team with their pittance payroll and 15,000 fans that show up at the ballpark...do they even have road fans?

Their strength and conditioning staff has to be terrible, they've had more injuries for years than any other team.  The one season they had like 5 guys with "Core Injuries".

The roster is 100% on Cashman.   He's been the GM for 20 years, it 100% starts and ends with him.   Poor roster, no flexibility, long term contracts to older players.  All 100% signed off on by him.

I don't know what GM would want the job.  (It's the Yankees, people will take it).   But your team is laden with big money paid out to older players for 4+ years.

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Boone will take the fall, but this is on Cashman

Saturday night, they had 6 hitters under 220, and only 3 guys with any power at all playing.  There is no way this team scores more than 2 runs a game with that lineup.   The roster contrustion is on Cashman.

Nah bro forget batting average. Stat nerds think hits per at bats is meaningless. Cashman agrees. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/30/2023 at 8:42 PM, chirorob said:

Brutal last night, i was there.

Brito pitched well, just 1 bad pitch.

The worst part was they called a kid up, mlb debut.   He makes a great sliding catch in the 1st, injures his knee and had to leave.

Not a kid, a failed 28 year old trying to rebuild a broken career.

he deserved a chance buuuut, the back of the baseball card suggests he’s a longshot.