Jump to content

Robert Saleh hints NY Jets may be open to Zach Wilson trade


Bronx

Recommended Posts

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/03/02/ny-jets-robert-saleh-zach-wilson-2/amp/

New York Jets head coach Robert Saleh all but admitted the team would be willing to trade quarterback Zach Wilson.

By Michael Nania - On 03/02/2023, 10:16 AM

Robert Saleh subtly hints at New York Jets’ willingness to trade Zach Wilson

Robert Saleh‘s Thursday press conference included plenty of interesting tidbits, specifically surrounding the quarterback position. Saleh not only commented on Derek Carr, but also had some fascinating responses about Zach Wilson and Mike White.

When asked about Wilson’s future with the New York Jets, specifically two years down the road, Saleh seemed to leave the door open for a potential trade.

“You can’t look at it that way. You guys know me, it’s stay in the moment and try to do everything we can to help everyone get better and be the best version of themselves we can be,” Saleh said. “Whether we bring in a guy who’s in his early thirties and you know he’s going to be here for a while, the focus is to just help [Wilson] get better as best as he can, and if his best gets to be showcased here as a New York Jet, awesome. If not, it’s still awesome, because all we want is what’s best for him and his development, no different than any other player on our roster.”

Saleh also talked about free-agent-to-be Mike White. It sounded like Saleh and the Jets want to have him back. Of White, Saleh said, “he should be on this roster.”

 

It will be interesting to see whether the Jets can manage to fit White onto their roster, as they already figure to be committing a lot of money to the quarterback position. The Jets are likely to reel in a big-money veteran such as Derek Carr or Aaron Rodgers to be their starter. Behind the starter will be Zach Wilson, whose $9.6 million cap hit is quite expensive for a backup quarterback. With all of that money already on the books, would it be wise for the Jets to cram White into the mix?

As per usual, it all depends on how much White costs. Looking at the 2022 free agent quarterback market, the contracts signed by Geno Smith (one year, $3.5 million) and Jacoby Brissett (one year, $4.7 million) seem like reasonable comparisons.

On the higher end, there’s Tyrod Taylor (two years, $11 million), Teddy Bridgewater (one year, $6.5 million), and Mitchell Trubisky (two years, $14.3 million), although they each have much more starting experience than White. Still, some team out there might fall in love with the potential White displayed from Weeks 12-14 and go all-in to land him.

An ESPN report from Rich Cimini in early February placed White directly in the range laid by the aforementioned contracts, as Cimini projected White “can command anywhere from $4 million to $8 million” per year on the open market.

If White signs a one-year deal for $4-8 million, it could be a tad expensive for the Jets. At that price tag, if you added White to a quarterback room with Zach Wilson and, say, Derek Carr, the Jets could be spending around $50 million on quarterbacks this season. The Jets seem to love White, but considering the other two quarterback investments they will (likely) be responsible for, where do they draw the line on his price tag?

Or, perhaps the Jets trade Wilson, which would leave plenty of wiggle room for the Jets to pay White handsomely and ensure he returns as the backup.

The Jets’ QB1 pursuit has drawn the most attention this offseason, but their QB2 decision is a compelling storyline, too. Will Wilson return while White walks? Could Wilson be traded while White returns? Or, will both return? All three options seem plausible – especially after the open-ended comments Saleh made today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it’s no surprise to anyone that if Derek Carr is signed, it’s going to be for at least four or five years. If he’s the guy, then Zach Wilson will be traded. They already said they wanted Mike White back, which tells me that they don’t even want Zach as a back up. all the talk about developing Wilson is BS. There’s a very good chance he’s dealt. First, you have to secure a veteran starter and then they will turn their attention towards a Zach trade. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I think it’s no surprise to anyone that if Derek Carr is signed, it’s going to be for at least four or five years. If he’s the guy, then Zach Wilson will be traded. They already said they wanted Mike White back, which tells me that they don’t even want Zach as a back up. all the talk about developing Wilson is BS. There’s a very good chance he’s dealt. First, you have to secure a veteran starter and then they will turn their attention towards a Zach trade. 

I agree if we get Carr.  Wilson might be better served in a smaller media market, like Colts, Falcons, Saints or even 49ers. It really does have Steve Young written all over it when he was dealt from Tampa to 49ers as a backup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Saleh has been meeting with Carr. If we do get Carr and he plays well and the team wins there will never be a reason to go back to Zack. Assuming Jets don't pick up Zack's option after this season, his time will run out here.

Exactly! Any quarterback we get is going to be here for at least two years most likely. They aren’t gonna pick up Zach’s option. so if they got Rodgers and he left after two years, they would have to franchise Zach. which at that point will be close to 40 million for a guy that we’ll still have no idea if he can play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Not that I'm a big Carr fan, but I'm not sure why the hell would you wait on AR and all that entails with a trade instead of just signing someone and keeping all your draft picks. Makes no sense.

Pretty sure AR's cap number is something in the ballpark of $15M while Carr's will be around $40M.  We have a lot of young players to re-sign and probably FA moves to be made.

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm pretty sure they want to trade Zach.  

Ultimately Zach needs to get away from this Toxic fan base if he has any chance to succeed. For better or worse, It's too late for him here.

I'm sure JD knows this.

break up love GIF by Christina Lu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He's a very nice guy but he absolutely lost the team last year and they basically threw Zach and Lefluer in a ditch to try and cover it up.  And no that's not a defense of either of them.  Zach was putrid but he didn't need the HC failing him when he was down.  The biggest lie every was when we drafted Zach and Saleh said they will lift him.  

Saleh lost me the 3rd quarter against Jax. I crossed the Rubicon when Flacco starts and plays game 17, which indicates he was available during the losing streak. Just dumb, knee jerk, no idea what he's doing decision making.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's not the toxic fan base, it's the toxic HC who runs camp cup cake and allowed the locker room to turn on him publicly.  The fan base followed the team in turning on Zach.  

You can’t force a team to like an all-time bad QB bust. So much deflecting for Zach….

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach was awful, doesn't change the fact that it's a toxic fan base.  I think it's inarguable.

So go and join a less toxic fan base then, if it’s so bad. Nothing forcing you to be a part of this supposed toxicity.

Had Zach played well, he’d have been treated like a god. He’s an all time bust and gets treated as such.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm pretty sure they want to trade Zach.  

Ultimately Zach needs to get away from this Toxic fan base if he has any chance to succeed. For better or worse, It's too late for him here.

I'm sure JD knows this.

Yes, the fans are holding him back 

Awesome Great Job GIF by Nicole Osborne

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So go and join a less toxic fan base then, if it’s so bad. Nothing forcing you to be a part of this supposed toxicity.

Had Zach played well, he’d have been treated like a god. He’s an all time bust and gets treated as such.

 

Your point is I should quit being a fan because there are a lot of bad fans out there?

I'll stick with my team, there are plenty of non-toxic NY Jets fans who I fully support. - but we clearly have the most toxic in quantity and aggressiveness.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Your point is I should quit being a fan because there are a lot of bad fans out there?

I'll stick with my team, there are plenty of non-toxic NY Jets fans who I fully support. - but we clearly have the most toxic in quantity and aggressiveness.

 

C'mon, stop taking all this personally. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You can’t force a team to like an all-time bad QB bust. So much deflecting for Zach….

NFL teams have a lot of guys who aren't that good on the roster.  The HC actually decides who plays.  

Saleh was specifically hired to "change the culture".  Saleh could have sat Zach in the second half of the NE game and actually tried to win the game.  He basically threw Zach under the bus and took zero responsability for the team.

So much deflecting for the HC to hate on 1 player who should have been benched in the second half of a key game to actually try and salvage the season.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/03/02/ny-jets-robert-saleh-zach-wilson-2/amp/

New York Jets head coach Robert Saleh all but admitted the team would be willing to trade quarterback Zach Wilson.

By Michael Nania - On 03/02/2023, 10:16 AM

Robert Saleh subtly hints at New York Jets’ willingness to trade Zach Wilson

Robert Saleh‘s Thursday press conference included plenty of interesting tidbits, specifically surrounding the quarterback position. Saleh not only commented on Derek Carr, but also had some fascinating responses about Zach Wilson and Mike White.

When asked about Wilson’s future with the New York Jets, specifically two years down the road, Saleh seemed to leave the door open for a potential trade.

“You can’t look at it that way. You guys know me, it’s stay in the moment and try to do everything we can to help everyone get better and be the best version of themselves we can be,” Saleh said. “Whether we bring in a guy who’s in his early thirties and you know he’s going to be here for a while, the focus is to just help [Wilson] get better as best as he can, and if his best gets to be showcased here as a New York Jet, awesome. If not, it’s still awesome, because all we want is what’s best for him and his development, no different than any other player on our roster.”

Saleh also talked about free-agent-to-be Mike White. It sounded like Saleh and the Jets want to have him back. Of White, Saleh said, “he should be on this roster.”

 

It will be interesting to see whether the Jets can manage to fit White onto their roster, as they already figure to be committing a lot of money to the quarterback position. The Jets are likely to reel in a big-money veteran such as Derek Carr or Aaron Rodgers to be their starter. Behind the starter will be Zach Wilson, whose $9.6 million cap hit is quite expensive for a backup quarterback. With all of that money already on the books, would it be wise for the Jets to cram White into the mix?

As per usual, it all depends on how much White costs. Looking at the 2022 free agent quarterback market, the contracts signed by Geno Smith (one year, $3.5 million) and Jacoby Brissett (one year, $4.7 million) seem like reasonable comparisons.

On the higher end, there’s Tyrod Taylor (two years, $11 million), Teddy Bridgewater (one year, $6.5 million), and Mitchell Trubisky (two years, $14.3 million), although they each have much more starting experience than White. Still, some team out there might fall in love with the potential White displayed from Weeks 12-14 and go all-in to land him.

An ESPN report from Rich Cimini in early February placed White directly in the range laid by the aforementioned contracts, as Cimini projected White “can command anywhere from $4 million to $8 million” per year on the open market.

If White signs a one-year deal for $4-8 million, it could be a tad expensive for the Jets. At that price tag, if you added White to a quarterback room with Zach Wilson and, say, Derek Carr, the Jets could be spending around $50 million on quarterbacks this season. The Jets seem to love White, but considering the other two quarterback investments they will (likely) be responsible for, where do they draw the line on his price tag?

Or, perhaps the Jets trade Wilson, which would leave plenty of wiggle room for the Jets to pay White handsomely and ensure he returns as the backup.

The Jets’ QB1 pursuit has drawn the most attention this offseason, but their QB2 decision is a compelling storyline, too. Will Wilson return while White walks? Could Wilson be traded while White returns? Or, will both return? All three options seem plausible – especially after the open-ended comments Saleh made today.

QB1- Carr  QB2- White    Good Luck Zac on your new team! sidenote; When we let Sam go we didn't seem to worried he would be better and Sam is much better the Zac

  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Biggs said:

NFL teams have a lot of guys who aren't that good on the roster.  The HC actually decides who plays.  

Saleh was specifically hired to "change the culture".  Saleh could have sat Zach in the second half of the NE game and actually tried to win the game.  He basically threw Zach under the bus and took zero responsability for the team.

Zach earned being thrown under the bus by being one of the all-time worst top QB draft picks.

Ffs, he's not some innocent victim.  He's a horrible bust, not your best friend who needs you to white knight for him.

23 minutes ago, Biggs said:

So much deflecting for the HC...

Yes, the Coach I'd have fired and replaced with Frank Reich this offseason.  Yup.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Your point is I should quit being a fan because there are a lot of bad fans out there?

If you hate the fanbase/social group you're a part of, and think it's a sh*tty fanbase/social group, most rational people would find a better fanbase/social group to be a part of.

You're the one who seems to hate your fellow fans over not loving your preferred QB.  And unlike all the claims of "hate" against Zach, in your case it IS hate.  You hate us for not loving Zach, how weird is that.....

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'll stick with my team, there are plenty of non-toxic NY Jets fans who I fully support. - but we clearly have the most toxic in quantity and aggressiveness.

"Clearly" by some metric you made up in your head because we didn't all embrace your all-time-bust boyfriend Zachypoo?

Spare me.  You're STILL in denial, only now it's the "toxic fanbase" and "stupid MLF" that caused Zach to poop the bed.  You still don't accept he's a bust, a bad player, that HE is his biggest problem.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Zach earned being thrown under the bus by being one of the all-time worst top QB draft picks.

Ffs, he's not some innocent victim.  He's a horrible bust, not your best friend who needs you to white knight for him.

Yes, the Coach I'd have fired and replaced with Frank Reich this offseason.  Yup.

 

You have a lot of anger my friend, take some deep breaths, Zach can't hurt you any longer, he will never throw another pass for the Jets again, its just football....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...