Hughes and Rosenblatt reporting from the Combine: some newsy bits

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This probably isn’t worth its own thread, but our beat guys are intermingling with other beat guys around the league. Interesting points they shared:

1. Carr is universally considered to be a good dude and a pretty good QB. His big issue is that he doesn’t handle adversity well and can sulk. Reportedly would block reporters on social media if they were critical of him; rabbit ears. Fear is that this would manifest quickly in New York if he doesn’t have immediate success. 

2. At the 45 min mark they launch into a discussion over how done Zach Wilson in in New York. Other beat guys were incredulous that the Jets would move on from him so quickly, yet keep him on the roster. Hughes and Rossnblatt explain that no one in the building is motivated to play Zach again in the near term, but at the same time he has no value on the open market, so they’re kind of stuck with him.

1. is scary considering he's a turnover machine.  How would that play out the first time he throws a game away?  

2. duh, nobody wants an all time bust 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This probably isn’t worth its own thread, but our beat guys are intermingling with other beat guys around the league. Interesting points they shared:

1. Carr is universally considered to be a good dude and a pretty good QB. His big issue is that he doesn’t handle adversity well and can sulk. Reportedly would block reporters on social media if they were critical of him; rabbit ears. Fear is that this would manifest quickly in New York if he doesn’t have immediate success. 

2. At the 45 min mark they launch into a discussion over how done Zach Wilson in in New York. Other beat guys were incredulous that the Jets would move on from him so quickly, yet keep him on the roster. Hughes and Rossnblatt explain that no one in the building is motivated to play Zach again in the near term, but at the same time he has no value on the open market, so they’re kind of stuck with him.

He basically got cut for being a cry baby.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

His big issue is that he doesn’t handle adversity well and can sulk. Reportedly would block reporters on social media if they were critical of him; rabbit ears. Fear is that this would manifest quickly in New York if he doesn’t have immediate success. 

This doesn't sound like a good recipe for a NY QB (and being that it's the NY team in green, that's even worse).

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So Simms and Florio are right about them wanting to shelf him.  

That’s a job self preservation move.

Carr might be getting a long deal.  This is going to be the move for this window if they sign him.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

“bUt SaLeH sPoKe LiKe hE wAz hIGh On CarR”

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, JiF4Lamar said:

1. is scary considering he's a turnover machine.  How would that play out the first time he throws a game away?  

2. duh, nobody wants an all time bust 

Sounds like carr is a bad fit for ny b/c sulking qbs don’t work here.

the whole league knows ZW is a headcase that will require too much coaching up to make it worth while. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

10 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

So Derek Carr has career stats that are comparable to Goff and Stafford, 2 guys who have made the Super Bowl and can throw for 250 yards per game, 2+ TDs per Int, just shy of a 65% completion percentage and similar TD and Int percentages vs total throws.

McVay loved Stafford and won big with an excellent supporting cast and now may go off into the Sunset.  

The Lions also won big in acquiring a QB who threw 29 TDs to 7 INTs last year with a 65% completion % and a 99.3 rating.  Helped lead the surging Lions to a surprise playoff appearance.  2 first rounders and a third should make them a serious threat for years to come.

The Lions bought low after Goff had back to back years that fell short of his own previous standards.  Maybe Detroit was simply a better fit, who knows..

———————————————————-

I like the prospects of either Rodgers or Carr because they are the 2 QBs who can stay healthy and put up numbers that should be conducive to job 1 and that’s making the playoffs.  Carr now coupled with the type of defense he has NEVER had in a career where he has been facing teams that have scored an avg of 26.3 points per game.

Both should be intriguing to most fans for some very clear reasons.

Both come with some very clear risks.

Neither ‘sucks’ and neither is a ‘guarantee’.

That's a lot of words for being wrong about Derek Carr and Aaron Rodgers being the same. lol

1 hour ago, JiF4Lamar said:

I notice you seem to be running with this narrative but never responded to my previous comment regarding it, figure I'll drop this here in case you missed it and had any input:

When you say turnover machine, is that INT + Fumbles? What is Carr's Adjusted comp %, that would tell us more about drops, throw aways, and overall accuracy. Was Carr pushing the ball down field because he is behind in games due to poor defenses? Or is he throwing bad passes consistently? 

How do other QBs compare? It took Carr throwing 3 INTs late this season to pass Josh Allen for the lead this year. I'd gladly take Josh Allen even with his TOs. Carr has played every game over 3 seasons, are the QBs compared to him held to that same threshold of games if any missed time due to injury?

I don't honestly know the answer to these questions but it's important data.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I notice you seem to be running with this narrative but never responded to my previous comment regarding it, figure I'll drop this here in case you missed it and had any input:

When you say turnover machine, is that INT + Fumbles? What is Carr's Adjusted comp %, that would tell us more about drops, throw aways, and overall accuracy. Was Carr pushing the ball down field because he is behind in games due to poor defenses? Or is he throwing bad passes consistently? 

How do other QBs compare? It took Carr throwing 3 INTs late this season to pass Josh Allen for the lead this year. I'd gladly take Josh Allen even with his TOs. Carr has played every game over 3 seasons, are the QBs compared to him held to that same threshold of games if any missed time due to injury?

I don't honestly know the answer to these questions but it's important data.

All this defense of a QB who’s doing nothing but using us. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

In fairness watching Carr play I've never viewed him as a turnover machine but I've also never felt he was in full control of the game or had much confidence watching him.....reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins or 2015 Fitz.....Kirk Cousins puts up better numbers than Carr and I have zero confidence he's winning Minnesota a SB or big game which tells you how much his stat sheet means.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, undertow said:

That's a lot of words for being wrong about Derek Carr and Aaron Rodgers being the same. lol

They are not the same. 

Rodgers is clearly the better QB, a surefure first ballot hall of famer.  But he comes with risks and a much higher cost and isn’t a guarantee to get you to the Super Bowl.  His last and only appearance is 2011.

I wish I was a headline guy but stats and context are important to me.  Hence the extended words ;)

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

They are not the same. 

Rodgers is clearly the better QB, a surefure firat ballot half of famer.  But he comes with risks and a much higher cost and isn’t a guarantee to get you to the Super Bowl.  His last and only appearance is 2011.

I wish I was a headline guy but stats and context are important to me.  Hence the extended words ;)

Nothing is a guarantee but I guess I'm just putting more weight in chances of winning it all over stuff like personality and stability....I'm not looking for a wife I'm looking for a Super Bowl. lol

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, undertow said:

Nothing is a guarantee but I guess I'm just putting more weight in chances of winning it all over stuff like personality and stability....I'm not looking for a wife I'm looking for a Super Bowl. lol

I’m with you ;).  Let’s hope the cost is not too high and he’s open to doing something about that $60M balloon cap hit after 2 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

I didn't defend Carr, just posing questions that would provide better insight. Stating that he has a large amount of turnovers while ignoring context is not my preferred route to grade player.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

He basically got cut for being a cry baby.  

This Derek Carr is a cry baby thing is not true. The guy has resolve and stuck by that dumpster fire Raiders franchise and his coaches during a lot of trying times. He showed tears on the field in London and he's faithful. People trying to use that against him and paint him soft. Rodgers is more a bitch than Carr. 

• The Raiders are a cash poor team, and I don't think Carr is a fit for what McDaniels wants to do.   I don't think McDaniels is a fit for what anyone wants to do.   But the Raiders and McDaniels are a team for now.  I don't hold the Raiders wanting to move on from Carr as being a negative on Carr.
  • Carr's issues with the press, etc. are issues for NY/NJ.  I don't think he wants to play here.  I get the sense that the Jets are trying to play too many options and are waiting to make a full commitment to Carr until they hear what Crazy Rodgers (who is too expensive all around) wants.  Yes, its like you are at the Club.  You meet someone fairly attractive who you think you can get lucky with, but you fixated on the looker across the way.  You move onto the looker and end up going home alone.  That is the Jets.
  • I think the NFL in general has so little respect for the coaching that Zach Wilson got that someone may be willing to pay something to take Zach's remaining salary off of the Jets' hands.  That aggregates about $10mm-I am sure Woody will appreciate that.  The 49ers could find a way to make it work with Zach Wilson.   I was on a plane from Las Vegas to JFK on Wednesday, and Steve Young was on the plane.  Hmmm.   The Wilson camp wants out of NY, and out of the Jets.  No question about that. I don't think keeping Zach around to try out later, like the Packers are doing with Love, will be an option.  
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

This Derek Carr is a cry baby thing is not true. The guy has resolve and stuck by that dumpster fire Raiders franchise and his coaches during a lot of trying times. He showed tears on the field in London and he's faithful. People trying to use that against him and paint him soft. Rodgers is more a bitch than Carr. 

He's faithful and cried in London.  I bet McDaneils didn't give him a tissue to wipe his eyes. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is true.  Apparently Carr just recently unblocked the Raiders beat reporter for the Athletic.  I don't know what led to Carr initially blocking him.

If Carr signs here, someone needs to start a poll to see which beat reporter will be blocked first.

• Haha 4

The REAL REASON Derek Carr Gets Hate

Derek Carr is in Matthew Stafford territory before he won a Super Bowl with the Rams. You don't win in the playoffs you don't get no respect in the media. It's a team sport, but it don't matter in the media. It's all on the QB's shoulders to lead your team to the playoffs and win in the playoffs. Look at Rodgers last season. Choked vs the Lions in a game that gets the Packers in the playoffs. If Carr did that he'd be crucified here. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

This is true.  Apparently Carr just recently unblocked the Raiders beat reporter for the Athletic.  I don't know what led to Carr initially blocking him.

If Carr signs here, someone needs to start a poll to see which beat reporter will be blocked first.

I block aholes here and elsewhere all the time.  I don't see the problem.  All these anti-Carr takes are silly.   I'd rather go cheaper but I'd take Carr in a NY minute.    

• Upvote 2

The one interesting thing I took away from that podcast was that they said Dewayne Browns is all in for playing this upcoming year. He’s working his but off in the gym. I was assuming that he was just going to retire. This kind of throws a wrench in I think. 

So now is Brown the starter? Becton and max will fight for rt? I was starting to lean into drafting a LT in the first. Now with brown being 10 mil on the team he shouldnt ride the bench. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I’m guessing it’s out very own @TomShane

PS- you know I love you Tom

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So basically David Carr is one stiff Meadowlands breeze away from disaster! lol

"Wow!  Would you look at the ball hanging in the air.... Did it just make a left turn?  Why is Carr already walking off the field with the ball in mid-air?"

?

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

I’m thinking the same thing.  I’ve seen the guy take some hellacious hits and bounce right back up.  He plays probably a greater percentage of time than most starting QB’s.

How many Double Digit leads did Carr give the Raiders by halftime in 2022?  Not sure the exact number, but I know it was a Lot.  Their D blew practically ALL those games.

The Jets could be far far worse at QB the next few years with someone other than Derek Carr.

• Upvote 1