2023 NFL Combine day three, QBs, WRs, TE's...

Beerfish

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I thought this was very cool of Garrett Wilson, pumping up JSN. Says he’s better than both himself and Olave

he may have a better feel for route running than both of them.  He's going to be an extremely solid pro.  Ive been on that train from the beginning.  Not sure how dynamic he'll be on the outside like Wilson was this year, but I wouldnt bet against him being a VERY good pro at the next level. 

Everyone gets caught up in the athletic testing... Big 40's verts all these different things, but what wins in todays nfl is great technique and a great feel for route running.  JSN has been working with one of the best wr coaches in the league for YEARS and on top of it was coached by (for my money) the best WR coach in the country at OSU.  The kid is going to be a very good player at the next level. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

he may have a better feel for route running than both of them.  He's going to be an extremely solid pro.  Ive been on that train from the beginning.  Not sure how dynamic he'll be on the outside like Wilson was this year, but I wouldnt bet against him being a VERY good pro at the next level. 

Everyone gets caught up in the athletic testing... Big 40's verts all these different things, but what wins in todays nfl is great technique and a great feel for route running.  JSN has been working with one of the best wr coaches in the league for YEARS and on top of it was coached by (for my money) the best WR coach in the country at OSU.  The kid is going to be a very good player at the next level. 

Yeah, I’ve definitely been confused by all the draft dudes being down on JSN. I kept hearing (on pods) and reading that he wasn’t going to test great, and then he goes out and lights up his agility stuff. Hard to imagine he turns around and runs a 4.75 at his Pro Day. I think everyone was marveling at what Harrison Jr this year and forgot about what JSN put up the year prior. I wouldn’t mind using 13 on him (presuming we keep it), especially if they move on from Elijah Moore somehow

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I’ve definitely been confused by all the draft dudes being down on JSN. I kept hearing (on pods) and reading that he wasn’t going to test great, and then he goes out and lights up his agility stuff. Hard to imagine he turns around and runs a 4.75 at his Pro Day. I think everyone was marveling at what Harrison Jr this year and forgot about what JSN put up the year prior. I wouldn’t mind using 13 on him (presuming we keep it), especially if they move on from Elijah Moore somehow

I think JSN knows his money is going to be made on route running. It would have looked far worse if he ran a 4.6 forty now vs any time he runs at his Pro Day.

I could see him as a replacement for Corey Davis, I don't particularly want to select him though. I have started to sour on the WR class, I would be on board with a top TE. 

Bring back Davis on a cheaper 2 year deal for a SB run and take a top TE over any of the WRs.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Everything wrong with the draft takes industry, right on cue

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think JSN knows his money is going to be made on route running. It would have looked far worse if he ran a 4.6 forty now vs any time he runs at his Pro Day.

I could see him as a replacement for Corey Davis, I don't particularly want to select him though. I have started to sour on the WR class, I would be on board with a top TE. 

Bring back Davis on a cheaper 2 year deal for a SB run and take a top TE over any of the WRs.

I’d be really surprised if they took a TE high. They’re stuck with the Uzomah and Conklin contracts, and they spent a third on Ruckert, who might be good. I know Corey Davis has been a good soldier and good teammate despite horrific QB play, but I think they need a better player in that role. My gripe with him is just how bad he is in contested catch situations despite being a big, physical receiver. As it is, and despite Garrett Wilson drawing all the coverage, Davis had a catch percentage of 50, which is awful. 

• Upvote 2

Smith-Njigba would only make sense, imo, if we move on from Moore.  We need a big bodied WR more than another slot.  A Quentin Johnston type would make more sense, but I don't like him enough to take at 13.  OT seems more lilkely to me.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Smith-Njigba would only make sense, imo, if we move on from Moore.  We need a big bodied WR more than another slot.  A Quentin Johnston type would make more sense, but I don't like him enough to take at 13.  OT seems more lilkely to me.

Is the Renfrow comp accurate?

Any takes on Bryce Ford Wheaton from West Virginia? Many of us think the Jets need to add a big WR to the room and Wheaton's measureables are impressive. 

2017528641_ScreenShot2023-03-05at11_28_30AM.thumb.png.a2dc6daaeda29eeaadb04d22f3c3fa87.png

I realize everyone looks good in highlights, but his reel shows some YAC and jump ball ability:

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

this is where we get caught up a little bit.  Slower times but they all play faster.  Hyatt ran like a 4.4, but on film he looks like one of the fastest players on the field every week in a uber talented conference.   

If that 4.4 means he goes in the second I’d be intrigued. The WR group would be a little skinny but they’d have complimentary skill sets. Wonder if KC takes him at the back end of the first.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Lith said:

The Mississippi WR had a good day. 6'2' 220 and ran a 4.6? 

10 hours ago, PS17 said:

The guy is a natural at WR. Elite athlete, hugely productive at age 19 at a mega program that has become a WR factory. Olave and Wilson wax poetic about him. What am I missing here? 

He’s not a boundary WR. He’s super talented but doesn’t have some god like resume. Overhyped to be Frank. Would you take Chris Godwin at #13?

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I'm not sure any WR this year is going to go top 20 or at least thats the buzz.  Seems like the sweet spot is right around there for the first one to go off the board so if that is the case id rather trade down into that range (presuming we keep 13) and then take JSN if thats what we were inclined to do. 

However moot point because i believe A) our pick will be traded or B. They want to go OL at 13

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, derp said:

If that 4.4 means he goes in the second I’d be intrigued. The WR group would be a little skinny but they’d have complimentary skill sets. Wonder if KC takes him at the back end of the first.

I could definitely see that.  The WR value will be very good at the back end of RD 1 i believe

20 hours ago, Lith said:

May be similar 40 times, but JSN is a bigger target and blew him away in the 3-cone and short shuttle.  I think JSN has a higher ceiling.

the comp thats getting thrown around a lot is cooper kupp

CK:  6'2 195,

40: 4.62

Broad Jump: 11'6

Vert:31

3 cone: 6.75

Short shuttle: 4.08

JSN: 6'1 196

40: DNR

Broad: 10'6

Vert: 35

3 Cone: 6.57

Short Shuttle: 3.93

We'll see what the 40 is but on paper they are athletically very similar clearly.  JSN has a chance to be that kind of player as kupp in the slot, what will make the difference is if he can have the same success on the outside.  

On 3/4/2023 at 10:47 PM, T0mShane said:

I thought this was very cool of Garrett Wilson, pumping up JSN. Says he’s better than both himself and Olave

11 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

the comp thats getting thrown around a lot is cooper kupp

CK:  6'2 195,

40: 4.62

Broad Jump: 11'6

Vert:31

3 cone: 6.75

Short shuttle: 4.08

JSN: 6'1 196

40: DNR

Broad: 10'6

Vert: 35

3 Cone: 6.57

Short Shuttle: 3.93

We'll see what the 40 is but on paper they are athletically very similar clearly.  JSN has a chance to be that kind of player as kupp in the slot, what will make the difference is if he can have the same success on the outside.  

If either of these things are true then sign me up for him at #13.