Bryce Young measures in at 5'10"

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

No way would I want a guy this size at QB in the NFL.  

Yeah, I know Kyle Murray is even smaller but look how that worked out.  

I'm sure he'll have some exciting moments and wow some people - but I would be very hard pressed to envision a 5'10" QB in the NFL win in the playoffs - let alone a Super Bowl.,

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm pretty sure R. Wilson was 6 feet.  

He’s listed at 5-11 on pro football reference. I think the extra height does matter. They have to be able to see over these 6-5 lineman. I believe joe willie was 6-2 which was pretty tall for QBs back then.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He can't look any smaller than kyler murray who looks tiny out there.

Height and weight is vastly overrated imo.  A guy is 5'10" 195 and my god he is way too small!  A guy is 6'2" 215 and my good great size!

I agree they’re overrated. Garrett Wilson is listed at 6-0 and 195. I think 6-2 and 215+ are about the minimum QBs should be.

16 minutes ago, rangerous said:

He’s listed at 5-11 on pro football reference. I think the extra height does matter. They have to be able to see over these 6-5 lineman. I believe joe willie was 6-2 which was pretty tall for QBs back then.

Why are we pretending that alabamas tallest offensive lineman was 5-9? Lol he’s played with 6-5 lineman and played pretty damn well.

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Height and weight is vastly overrated imo.  A guy is 5'10" 195 and my god he is way too small!  A guy is 6'2" 215 and my good great size!

Yeah, but in the NFL, these guys all get smacked around and they all get dinged up. The guys who win at the end of the season are usually the ones who remain healthiest. Hard to imagine the smaller guys making it through the gauntlet of an NFL season for too long while still being effective.

28 minutes ago, PS17 said:

He’s going to be good. 

You always want a comp, and I can’t think of one for this kid.  Kyler Murray’s height definitely hurts him in the pocket, but he’s freaky fast. Young isn’t. Plus Kyler isn’t that good.

Russell Wilson was thicker and more athletic.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but in the NFL, these guys all get smacked around and they all get dinged up. The guys who win at the end of the season are usually the ones who remain healthiest. Hard to imagine the smaller guys making it through the gauntlet of an NFL season for too long while still being effective.

The smaller the qb the less margin for error.  Look how many injuries there are and the rules are absurd trying to protect them.  The smaller guys who succeeded like Russ and brees have amazing feet and processors so they can escape quickly and get rid of the ball to avoid unnecessary hits.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The smaller the qb the less margin for error.  Look how many injuries there are and the rules are absurd trying to protect them.  The smaller guys who succeeded like Russ and brees have amazing feet and processors so they can escape quickly and get rid of the ball to avoid unnecessary hits.

And even those guys have weird quirks to their games. Russell Wilson cannot and will not throw the ball inside the hashes. With Brees, I posted the article a few times where he admitted that he often threw blind based on his pre-snap read. He’d have to jerk his head all the way back to raise his eye level over the LOS. Young himself does a weird thing where he stands pin-straight in the pocket like a ballerina to throw the ball from the dropback position. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

And even those guys have weird quirks to their games. Russell Wilson cannot and will not throw the ball inside the hashes. With Brees, I posted the article a few times where he admitted that he often threw blind based on his pre-snap read. He’d have to jerk his head all the way back to raise his eye level over the LOS. Young himself does a weird thing where he stands pin-straight in the pocket like a ballerina to throw the ball from the dropback position. 

Plus he did play with all that Bama talent. I’d rather have stroud.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you do not run a lot and if you can move in the pocket you are fine and at no more risk than anyone else imo.

Russel wilson hardly ever got hurt

kyler murray got hurt but not because of taking a big hit.

Lamar jackson has been hurt the last two years.

Hey the ideal thing is to have size and great ability but there have been a lot of prototypical sized qbs that stink.  (Brock ostweiler, Ryan mallet, Paxton lynch)

For all the talk about size being overrated, how many of the shorter or slighter body types were left standing by seasons end?  Weren’t injured part of the season.   Tua? Lamar? Murray?  Bridgewater?  Wilson?  Hurts?  

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Correct.

Short QBs can succeed in the NFL but it’s absolutely an issue in their game and you need to plan/scheme around it.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

For qbs I tend to disagree. At 5’10 the chances of balls getting batted down at the line increases dramatically. Guys who are under 6’ need to get out of the pocket for a clear throwing lane. This is where weight comes into play. Russ is 215 which helps when he gets hit when running around because he can’t see over the line. 

32 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

This kid is going to be a top 5 pick, and he'll probably be better than anything the Jets have drafted in the past 50 years. 

Again, comparing against previous Jet QBs is not the the best argument to use.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

So much for him being listed at 6'0'.

"I've been this size, respectfully, my whole life." Young said.  That's right Bryce.  But you haven't played against 270 pound men before who move like lightweights.  

https://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/bryce-young-alabama-crimson-tide-measures-nfl-combine-19.53517

His whole life? He went from being a 5’10” newborn to a 5’10” adult. The guy is consistent if anything.

• Haha 1