Jets Playing Dangerous Waiting Game With Rodgers, Risk Getting Left out in the Cold

Derek Carr

The Jets pursuit of a veteran quarterback is starting to feel like a dangerous game of chicken that could leave the franchise searching the quarterback scrap heap if things play out the way insiders are suggesting they may.

While speaking on NFL network during the scouting combine, insider Ian Rapoport said that the possibility of Aaron Rodgers walking away from the game or staying in Green Bay should not be ruled out.  Not many people would “walk away from $60 million dollars”, but Rodgers is a guy who might do just that.

In the next breath, Rapoport said that the Jets second option, Derek Carr, could end up signing before a Rodgers decision.  That would of course bode well for the Saints while hurting the Jets chances as they patiently await a decision from Rodgers.  Even after two positive visits with Carr, the quarterback may still opt to get a deal done sooner than the Jets would like.

With Rodgers’ future entirely uncertain, Carr being courted by multiple teams while the Jets wait, and reports of the Raiders being interested in reuniting Jimmy Garoppolo with head coach Josh McDaniels.

When Carr signs w/ N.O. and AR stays in GB or retires, the Jets should:

A) Give up huge money and/or picks for injury risk QB (Lamar, Jimmy G)

B) Sign a cheaper vet who has flashed (Baker/Minshew)

C) Make a push to bring back Geno if he's not franchised.

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) March 5, 2023

Should things play out in such a way that the Jets miss out on Rodgers, Carr and Garoppolo, things can get ugly.  They could offer multiple first round picks and upwards of $50 million per year for Lamar Jackson, who has missed 11 of his last 25 games due to injury.

They could look at bringing back veteran quarterback Geno Smith, who after seven years of bouncing around with multiple clubs, came in to his own with the Seahawks last year, should Seattle opt not to tag Smith.

And beyond that, it becomes about the likes of Baker Mayfield, Gardner Minshew and Jacoby Brissett.

Oh boy.

The post Jets Playing Dangerous Waiting Game With Rodgers, Risk Getting Left out in the Cold appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Feel like this is the most likely (and Jetsiest) outcome.  Carr signs while the Jets wait on Rodgers, Rodgers retires or stays put and Jimmy G signs elsewhere.

Jets left picking between Baker Mayfield, Geno and Minshew.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 2

Jeremy Fowler here. 

While the #Panthers and #Saints remain in the conversation for Derek Carr, the former Pro Bowl quarterback has a slight lean toward the #Jets as his next home as of now, per source. Nothing is final, but Jets -- who are linked to Aaron Rodgers -- have made an impression.

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

JD needs to be patient.. watch the Rodgers draft compensation plummet in the next couple days.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Derek Carr's statement might bring AR's price tag a bit lower. 

• Upvote 2

What makes people so confident that JD and Carr aren't playing this gig together to a) get GB to lower the trade compensation they want for Rodgers and b) get the Saints to up the guaranteed money they offer to Carr?  

Seems pretty win-win to me...

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

What makes people so confident that JD and Carr aren't playing this gig together to a) get GB to lower the trade compensation they want for Rodgers and b) get the Saints to up the guaranteed money they offer to Carr?  

You mean collusion? Haven’t had one of those scandals in years.

• Haha 1

Oh, don't worry, this one has disaster written all over it.

So many ways to go wrong .. if I wasn't so tired I'd swap out the iceberg for a mountain of cash with Lamar's face on it, or the smiling face of Jimmy G embedded in the ice.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

• Upvote 1

Played with fire.  Got burned.

Unless they know Rodgers is coming to Florham Park, this is a huge fail.

Gut tells me this is Woody telling Joe D. no offers for any QB until they have an answer on Rodgers.

• Sympathy 1

I just listened to a very serious NFL podcast spend five minutes talking about how this is bad, catastrophic news for the Jets, followed immediately by them asking if this made the Saints a Super Bowl contender and they both answered “ohhhh hell no.”

• Haha 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

I just listened to a very serious NFL podcast spend five minutes talking about how this is bad, catastrophic news for the Jets, followed immediately by them asking if this made the Saints a Super Bowl contender and they both answered “ohhhh hell no.”

Could that have anything to do with the other 52 guys on the Saints roster?  Like, maybe the whole team needs a lot more work?

23 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Gut tells me this is Woody telling Joe D. no offers for any QB until they have an answer on Rodgers.

No one knows if this is true. If Carr wanted to come to the Jets he would not have signed today with the Saints. That would make no sense. Also, we have no idea if the Jets offered Carr a contract already or not. 

49 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

No one knows if this is true. If Carr wanted to come to the Jets he would not have signed today with the Saints. That would make no sense. Also, we have no idea if the Jets offered Carr a contract already or not. 

It would make sense because it was already reported that Carr wanted to sign before the start of free agency so he can start recruiting.  He wasn't going to wait forever.

31 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It would make sense because it was already reported that Carr wanted to sign before the start of free agency so he can start recruiting.  He wasn't going to wait forever.

So he quickly signs with a team that is his second choice - not gonna happen. If he wanted the jets he would have waited a few more days. No need for him to hurry when you have a few more days before FA starts. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

That's what I believe.... who knows. But so much for JD getting full authority.

If true, and I believe it is, more evidence that Woody is a moron.

Carr would be here for 5 years.  

4 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

So he quickly signs with a team that is his second choice - not gonna happen. If he wanted the jets he would have waited a few more days. No need for him to hurry when you have a few more days before FA starts. 

Quickly?  He's been a FA for weeks.  How long you gonna' sit and wait for a chick while she tells you she likes you but she's gonna' wait because a dude she really likes might be splitting up with his girl?

• Upvote 1