Who is your favorite guitarist?

There is no correct answer except Jimi Hendrix must be on the list along with Duane Allman. Top showman? Jimmy Page has to be on the list. Best 2nd banana give me Mick Ronson who had it all-except being an A-list rock n roll front man like Bowie and Hendrix but Mick could sing harmonies perfectly, his leads were very tasteful, his performance on stage was great and his producing and engineering was right up there with Jimi Hendrix. Two guys who could create a visual landscape with the music. Listen to Jimi Hendrix' 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be). With his guitar he takes us on a science fiction dream of a post apocalyptic nightmare and descends into the ocean with his love in a metal sphere and the sound effects are truly mind-boggling for the time period that that it was created. As for Mick Ronson the work he did with Bowie and Lou Reed sonically, that music stands up with the best work that was ever done at Abbey Road. By any English musicians Listen to any of the Bowie albums that he produced and  It is crystal-clear and stands up still to this day. Fifty year old tech sounds better than anything I've heard since. Duane, man he was everybody's hero back in the early 1970's. I read Gregg's book and he told about how his brother was mad at him and wouldn't talk to him for weeks and then Greg heard he was sick so he went to the drug store and bought him a bottle of Coricidin and his big brother emptied the pills out and in a matter of days Duane had taught himself how to play slide guitar like  a virtuoso. It's said that At the studio with Otis Redding on a lunch break they created Southern Rock on a jam, session at the end of a Hey Jude  cover. As far was Jimmy Page, as teenagers we would go and hang out with the older dudes in our town who were born around 1950 5-6 years older than us and these cats and their girls went to ALL the legendary shows at The Garden and Fillmore East, and my friend Tommy Lawler was actually AT the Last Waltz when he was living out in San Fran for a while. They were also at Woodstock. They saw The Doors, Jethro Tull, Janis Joplin, (my brother saw Cream at a High School Gymnasium in Springfield I think it was), But it was the Led Zep shows that they would describe to us in detail and I swear you felt like you were there. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page were my heroes after the Beatles broke up and I got to see them at The Garden and I was on line at TicketMaster the summer of 1980 in Union NJ waiting for tickets to go on sale that Saturday morning at noon when at around 11:40 that morning word came over the radio that John Bonham had died the night before and that there would be no more Led Zeppelin. Two other guys I keep coming back to are Pete Townsend simply because of his unique place in a band structure, and Jerry Garcia because he could play almost any stringed instrument

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

There is no correct answer except Jimi Hendrix must be on the list along with Duane Allman. Top showman? Jimmy Page has to be on the list. Best 2nd banana give me Mick Ronson who had it all-except being an A-list rock n roll front man like Bowie and Hendrix but Mick could sing harmonies perfectly, his leads were very tasteful, his performance on stage was great and his producing and engineering was right up there with Jimi Hendrix. Two guys who could create a visual landscape with the music. Listen to Jimi Hendrix' 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be). With his guitar he takes us on a science fiction dream of a post apocalyptic nightmare and descends into the ocean with his love in a metal sphere and the sound effects are truly mind-boggling for the time period that that it was created. As for Mick Ronson the work he did with Bowie and Lou Reed sonically, that music stands up with the best work that was ever done at Abbey Road. By any English musicians Listen to any of the Bowie albums that he produced and  It is crystal-clear and stands up still to this day. Fifty year old tech sounds better than anything I've heard since. Duane, man he was everybody's hero back in the early 1970's. I read Gregg's book and he told about how his brother was mad at him and wouldn't talk to him for weeks and then Greg heard he was sick so he went to the drug store and bought him a bottle of Coricidin and his big brother emptied the pills out and in a matter of days Duane had taught himself how to play slide guitar like  a virtuoso. It's said that At the studio with Otis Redding on a lunch break they created Southern Rock on a jam, session at the end of a Hey Jude  cover. As far was Jimmy Page, as teenagers we would go and hang out with the older dudes in our town who were born around 1950 5-6 years older than us and these cats and their girls went to ALL the legendary shows at The Garden and Fillmore East, and my friend Tommy Lawler was actually AT the Last Waltz when he was living out in San Fran for a while. They were also at Woodstock. They saw The Doors, Jethro Tull, Janis Joplin, (my brother saw Cream at a High School Gymnasium in Springfield I think it was), But it was the Led Zep shows that they would describe to us in detail and I swear you felt like you were there. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page were my heroes after the Beatles broke up and I got to see them at The Garden and I was on line at TicketMaster the summer of 1980 in Union NJ waiting for tickets to go on sale that Saturday morning at noon when at around 11:40 that morning word came over the radio that John Bonham had died the night before and that there would be no more Led Zeppelin. Two other guys I keep coming back to are Pete Townsend simply because of his unique place in a band structure, and Jerry Garcia because he could play almost any stringed instrument

Duane is definitely a top 5 for me.  

Mick is a great call.  I heard a great story about him the other day that I never knew.  Jack and Diane.  Apparently, JCM was really struggling w/ the final guitars parts of the song and couldnt figure it out.  Had Mick Ronson come over to the studio, they didnt have an acoustic, the guy runs out to a pawn shop, finds an acoustic, comes back and lays down one of the most famous riffs from the 80's and JCM's most famous song. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

Geez, can't narrow it down to one. Tony Iommi, Johnny winter, David Gilmour, Mick Ronson, Jimmy Page, Richie Blackmore, Rory Gallagher...

Tommi Iommi is firmly my 2nd favorite guitar player of all time.  He might not have the dexterity of some of the other legends but in terms of tone, style, riffs, originality, hard to compete.  All these dudes at that time were doing some variation of Chuck Berry meets Otis Redding and then Black Sabbath came along, I mean Geezer Butler and Bill Ward were just geniuses on the rhythms but then Iommi laying down his chops.  Yeah, love Iommi and Sabbath.

• Upvote 3

Stephen Stills Just a supremely gifted musician that is equally talented playing acoustic or electric guitar plus a fantastic bass player as well

Listen to his bass line on Clapton’s Let it Rain cut and you will know what I’m talking about 

Then in no particular order 

BB King, Clapton, Santana, Dave Mason, Duane Allman, Albert King 

• Upvote 3

I was bored at work and complied a lil piece that I will share:

The top 10 greatest guitarist of all time according to ME.

This is based on a complete package: solos, rhythm, sound, innovations, multiple styling, singing a plus, longevity, catalog and maybe the most valuable, songwriting ability.

1. Jimi Hendrix – Pretty much no disputing this. He was an innovator. Nobody from his time sounded anything close. Add in the fact that he sings well, can play great rhythm and do this effortlessly factors in. Finally, a great great songwriter. When he hit the scene, he created a new standard that is still the standard that exists today in some ways. A legend!

2. Frank Zappa – Lou Reed once called Frank “the worst musician there ever was”. Maybe Lou should look into a mirror (and I’m a Lou Reed fan, but cmon!). While I know Zappa’s material is “out there” and not really musically pleasing to the mainstream, for us musicians, it mind boggling. The degree of complexity and wild arrangements is second to none. There is no other guitarist that has ever lived that has done anything close to what he has done. He has a HUGE catalog. He is also a really good soloist. I hear a lot of his style in Trey’s playing, even though nobody would agree with me on that. He was a legendary prick as well. A very demanding and difficult guy to work for. No drinking and no drugs. If you came unprepared, you were gone. If Mozart was a rocker, his name would be Frank Zappa. Easily #2 on this list. No debates!

3. Trey Anastasio – I admit that I am a jam fan so all this might be biased, but how anyone can dispute this is beyond me. He has the BEST sound. He is an AMAZING long haul soloist. He plays great rhythm. He has a strong singing voice and most importantly, he writes masterpieces. His catalog is insane. They say that a jack of all trades is a master of none, but this does not apply to Trey. He is a master in every single category. EVERY!

4. Rick Mitarotonda– WHO? I get it. You probably have never heard of him or Goose, but you should. Everything I said about Trey applies to him, except he does not sing and he is a bit of a new jack therefore not a huge catalog but wow. The dude writes great songs and plays like an angel. His sound is second to....Trey? He may actually be an even better soloist than Trey, and that’s saying something.

5. Keith Richards – While he is not the greatest soloist, hes still solid. Moreover, the guy has such a huge catalog of timeless masterpieces how can he not be on this list? He has written the greatest songs of all time several times over. An icon. On top of that, he is a pretty good singer and his solo work kicks ass. Check out “Talk is Cheap” - what a fool Jagger was for not being part of that album!

6. David Gilmore – HUGE catalog. Longevity. Tones of B side classics that average fans never listen to. Amazing songwriter. Very good singer. Great sound. Gilmore has the best slow feel on solos than anyone probably ever has. Animals? The Final Cut? Shine On? Yea, he makes this list easily.

7. Eddie Van Halen – He has to make this list based soley on his innovative soloing techniques. He was to the 80’s what Jimi was to the 60’s. No other guitarist belong in their category. Still, I HATE wasting a spot for him. Why? He didn’t sing, his songwriting, while cool at the time, was bubble gum level material at best. OK, for his time the “brown sound” was good. In the end, I am forced to credit him because he was just such a different level soloist. Ouch that hurts.......

8. Jerry Garcia – I can’t believe he follows EVH but it is what it is. Jerry wrote and sang so many masterpieces its scary. While his sound wasn’t mind blowing, it was very good. When he switched on his envelope filter there was no mistaking his playing. His catalog is about as huge as it gets. A monster! RIP Jerry!

9. Alex Lifeson – aka Aleksi Zivosinovic. As a Croatian, I hate to have to credit this Serbian genius. I kinda hate that I am in love with him, but it is what it is. I love this guy. He has an insane catalog and writes amazing material that only a thinking man can appreciate. His solos are a thing of beauty: he can shred when he needs to but much like Gilmore, he knows how to play soft and sweet and ooze out the feel. Rush songs are like none other, and I am not talking about limelight and the spirit of the radio. I am talking about Hemispheres. Listen to the 4:02 mark in La Villa Stragiato. Nuff said....

10. Duane Allman – One of the all time greats. Nobody plays a slide like him. He wrote great songs and could solo like mad. Even though he died young, his influence carried on for generations. This does not need a big write up. Such a shame!

11. Steve Howe / Steve Hackett – I am lumping these two masters together because to me, they are very similar. Both English, both in prog rock bands and both named Steve. These two have contributed to epic prog pieces that nobody else could produce. They both have huge catalogs that speak for themselves. If I had to give a nod to one of them, maybe Howe is slightly better but then again I’d be lying if I said early genesis with Peter Gabriel is not some of my favorite stuff.

12. John Lennon – While not a great soloist, he nails every other subcategory. A monster songwriter/singer/lyricist. The guy has penned too many great ones to not be on this list. OK, he

does not shred. Is shredding that big of a deal? There’s a reason why a guy like Joe Satriani and/or Steve Vai are not on my list.....they suck at everything BUT shredding. John was a hypocrite and a generally sh*tty human being, but his songwriting was a gift to humanity.

13. Ritchie Blackmore – I used to have a sailboat in Mt. Sinai Harbor on Long Island. There was a cool house that overlooked the water and later on I found out that it was Ritchie Blackmore’s house! I drove by it a few times hoping to catch a glimpse of this godly creature, but never had any luck. Blackmore is another guy that could write. He could solo as well and one of his strong suits is his “slow hand” ala Lifeson and Gilmore. So many great Deep Purple songs but I really like his Rainbow work with the great Ronnie James Dio. Holy mother of god what a combination!

14. Warren Haynes – I used to HATE this dude, The reason, however, was silly. I bought a Rush picture disc off ebay circa 1998. When I received it, it was poorly packaged and cracked in half. I tried to get with the seller who turned out to be a total ass. The guy made fun of me and called me a baby! His screen name was “govtmulefool”. I googled that up and discovered this band with Warren as a guitarist/founder. I did not care to like him. I immediately developed a silly hatred for him and this band. 10 years later, I went to the Wanne Festival where Warren was playing. I had a beat up old Winnebego RV that was on one of her last voyages. My buddy suggested I spray paint “F Warren Haynes” on the side in huge letters. I almost did. Anyhow, fast forward to today. I have seen this cat jam a million times. Wow. He is the complete package. One time I was 6 feet in front of him for an entire show (he has bad wrinkles). The dude is a monster, has amazing sound and writes great tunes. His catalog is pretty crazy as well. He has played with so many acts as well.

15. Eddie Roberts – The New Mastersounds are the best thing to come across the pond in decades. I’ll admit to being a homer, but no matter what, Eddie shreds. The man has a unique style, a little jazzy, a little funky with some serious soul and feel thrown in. To me, this is a perfect throw back band. They play as if its 1963. He writes music from another era. For the relatively short time they have been around, they just keep pumping albums out. There are 2 factors that come into play here with them: First, they do not overdub. Albums are recorded live. In fact, I saw the video of when they recorded one of them and there were chicks dancing next to them in the studio. Secondly, this is one of if maybe the only band that if I were asked “Hey what’s a good album for me to check out?” My answer would be any of them. They are all equally great. No duds. I have seen Eddie a bunch of times. I always make it a point to wait on the rail until they take the stage so nobody blocks my view of the Check out Eddie’s jazzy drippings asap and thank me later

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

2. Frank Zappa – Lou Reed once called Frank “the worst musician there ever was”. Maybe Lou should look into a mirror (and I’m a Lou Reed fan, but cmon!). While I know Zappa’s material is “out there” and not really musically pleasing to the mainstream, for us musicians, it mind boggling. The degree of complexity and wild arrangements is second to none. There is no other guitarist that has ever lived that has done anything close to what he has done. He has a HUGE catalog. He is also a really good soloist. I hear a lot of his style in Trey’s playing, even though nobody would agree with me on that. He was a legendary prick as well. A very demanding and difficult guy to work for. No drinking and no drugs. If you came unprepared, you were gone. If Mozart was a rocker, his name would be Frank Zappa. Easily #2 on this list. No debates!

Zappa was "a prick" for demanding his musicians arrive sober and prepared?   It doesn't sound like that much fun for a rock band but it's not an unreasonable request at all.  Fun side note: it pushed John Frusciante away from wanting to join Zappa.

Btw, no idea how you got your text to look like the below (though it looks normal when I "quote selection").

image.png.7aeb30c0cae0920d801595d0ef822c73.png

45 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Never realized how great of a guitarist he was until he did the tribute concert for George Harrison. Blew my mind.

But for me it will always be SRV

Prince could ******* shred. His estate restored a concert film from the Purple Rain days last year and I can't recommend it enough. Play it on as loud a sound system as you have. I'm not sure there's a better piece of evidence out there that the amount of musicians that could hold a crowd from start to finish on his level is very small.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I was bored at work and complied a lil piece that I will share:

The top 10 greatest guitarist of all time according to ME.

This is based on a complete package: solos, rhythm, sound, innovations, multiple styling, singing a plus, longevity, catalog and maybe the most valuable, songwriting ability.

1. Jimi Hendrix – Pretty much no disputing this. He was an innovator. Nobody from his time sounded anything close. Add in the fact that he sings well, can play great rhythm and do this effortlessly factors in. Finally, a great great songwriter. When he hit the scene, he created a new standard that is still the standard that exists today in some ways. A legend!

3. Trey Anastasio – I admit that I am a jam fan so all this might be biased, but how anyone can dispute this is beyond me. He has the BEST sound. He is an AMAZING long haul soloist. He plays great rhythm. He has a strong singing voice and most importantly, he writes masterpieces. His catalog is insane. They say that a jack of all trades is a master of none, but this does not apply to Trey. He is a master in every single category. EVERY!

4. Rick Mitarotonda– WHO? I get it. You probably have never heard of him or Goose, but you should. Everything I said about Trey applies to him, except he does not sing and he is a bit of a new jack therefore not a huge catalog but wow. The dude writes great songs and plays like an angel. His sound is second to....Trey? He may actually be an even better soloist than Trey, and that’s saying something.

5. Keith Richards – While he is not the greatest soloist, hes still solid. Moreover, the guy has such a huge catalog of timeless masterpieces how can he not be on this list? He has written the greatest songs of all time several times over. An icon. On top of that, he is a pretty good singer and his solo work kicks ass. Check out “Talk is Cheap” - what a fool Jagger was for not being part of that album!

6. David Gilmore – HUGE catalog. Longevity. Tones of B side classics that average fans never listen to. Amazing songwriter. Very good singer. Great sound. Gilmore has the best slow feel on solos than anyone probably ever has. Animals? The Final Cut? Shine On? Yea, he makes this list easily.

7. Eddie Van Halen – He has to make this list based soley on his innovative soloing techniques. He was to the 80’s what Jimi was to the 60’s. No other guitarist belong in their category. Still, I HATE wasting a spot for him. Why? He didn’t sing, his songwriting, while cool at the time, was bubble gum level material at best. OK, for his time the “brown sound” was good. In the end, I am forced to credit him because he was just such a different level soloist. Ouch that hurts.......

8. Jerry Garcia – I can’t believe he follows EVH but it is what it is. Jerry wrote and sang so many masterpieces its scary. While his sound wasn’t mind blowing, it was very good. When he switched on his envelope filter there was no mistaking his playing. His catalog is about as huge as it gets. A monster! RIP Jerry!

9. Alex Lifeson – aka Aleksi Zivosinovic. As a Croatian, I hate to have to credit this Serbian genius. I kinda hate that I am in love with him, but it is what it is. I love this guy. He has an insane catalog and writes amazing material that only a thinking man can appreciate. His solos are a thing of beauty: he can shred when he needs to but much like Gilmore, he knows how to play soft and sweet and ooze out the feel. Rush songs are like none other, and I am not talking about limelight and the spirit of the radio. I am talking about Hemispheres. Listen to the 4:02 mark in La Villa Stragiato. Nuff said....

10. Duane Allman – One of the all time greats. Nobody plays a slide like him. He wrote great songs and could solo like mad. Even though he died young, his influence carried on for generations. This does not need a big write up. Such a shame!

11. Steve Howe / Steve Hackett – I am lumping these two masters together because to me, they are very similar. Both English, both in prog rock bands and both named Steve. These two have contributed to epic prog pieces that nobody else could produce. They both have huge catalogs that speak for themselves. If I had to give a nod to one of them, maybe Howe is slightly better but then again I’d be lying if I said early genesis with Peter Gabriel is not some of my favorite stuff.

12. John Lennon – While not a great soloist, he nails every other subcategory. A monster songwriter/singer/lyricist. The guy has penned too many great ones to not be on this list. OK, he

does not shred. Is shredding that big of a deal? There’s a reason why a guy like Joe Satriani and/or Steve Vai are not on my list.....they suck at everything BUT shredding. John was a hypocrite and a generally sh*tty human being, but his songwriting was a gift to humanity.

13. Ritchie Blackmore – I used to have a sailboat in Mt. Sinai Harbor on Long Island. There was a cool house that overlooked the water and later on I found out that it was Ritchie Blackmore’s house! I drove by it a few times hoping to catch a glimpse of this godly creature, but never had any luck. Blackmore is another guy that could write. He could solo as well and one of his strong suits is his “slow hand” ala Lifeson and Gilmore. So many great Deep Purple songs but I really like his Rainbow work with the great Ronnie James Dio. Holy mother of god what a combination!

14. Warren Haynes – I used to HATE this dude, The reason, however, was silly. I bought a Rush picture disc off ebay circa 1998. When I received it, it was poorly packaged and cracked in half. I tried to get with the seller who turned out to be a total ass. The guy made fun of me and called me a baby! His screen name was “govtmulefool”. I googled that up and discovered this band with Warren as a guitarist/founder. I did not care to like him. I immediately developed a silly hatred for him and this band. 10 years later, I went to the Wanne Festival where Warren was playing. I had a beat up old Winnebego RV that was on one of her last voyages. My buddy suggested I spray paint “F Warren Haynes” on the side in huge letters. I almost did. Anyhow, fast forward to today. I have seen this cat jam a million times. Wow. He is the complete package. One time I was 6 feet in front of him for an entire show (he has bad wrinkles). The dude is a monster, has amazing sound and writes great tunes. His catalog is pretty crazy as well. He has played with so many acts as well.

15. Eddie Roberts – The New Mastersounds are the best thing to come across the pond in decades. I’ll admit to being a homer, but no matter what, Eddie shreds. The man has a unique style, a little jazzy, a little funky with some serious soul and feel thrown in. To me, this is a perfect throw back band. They play as if its 1963. He writes music from another era. For the relatively short time they have been around, they just keep pumping albums out. There are 2 factors that come into play here with them: First, they do not overdub. Albums are recorded live. In fact, I saw the video of when they recorded one of them and there were chicks dancing next to them in the studio. Secondly, this is one of if maybe the only band that if I were asked “Hey what’s a good album for me to check out?” My answer would be any of them. They are all equally great. No duds. I have seen Eddie a bunch of times. I always make it a point to wait on the rail until they take the stage so nobody blocks my view of the Check out Eddie’s jazzy drippings asap and thank me later

I saw Goose open for Trey last Fall and I came away REALLY impressed. 

Warren Haynes is a favorite of mine too, but whenever I saw him with the Allmans, it was obvious to me that Derek Trucks was just on a whole different level. Side note, seeing Derek play next to John Mayer multiple times also really put on full display for me that Mayer is all just hype and bluster. Derek made him look like a kid in School of Rock.

22 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I saw Goose open for Trey last Fall and I came away REALLY impressed. 

Warren Haynes is a favorite of mine too, but whenever I saw him with the Allmans, it was obvious to me that Derek Trucks was just on a whole different level. Side note, seeing Derek play next to John Mayer multiple times also really put on full display for me that Mayer is all just hype and bluster. Derek made him look like a kid in School of Rock.

Oh no! I fogot about trucks!!!!