Who is your favorite guitarist?

18 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

You're frickin' OLD man-I'll bet you even still have a deer-skin fringe jacket in your closet you old hippie you

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC NetworkYes I am old never did have the fringed jacket but I still have my suede wine pouch which I am afraid to use again who the hell knows what’s growing in there 

• Upvote 2

On 3/10/2023 at 6:47 PM, JiF said:

Dude, this is really funny.  One of my favorite local musicians does a cover by Mayer, and we were jamming the other day and he busted this out (see below) and I said something along the lines of, "I thought he was just another Jack Johnson until I saw him on some show and wow" and then he said, "Yep, me too, for me it was the Grammys'".  lol  anywho, this dude rips, play a 7 string...unreal

I saw John Mayer on a tv show too. I would definitely got to a show with John Mayer playing with Questlove and Chappelle yelling psuedo-Spanish gibberish into a bullhorn.  I missed "Controlled Danger," but I hear they did a solid version of Radiohead's Creep.

I bought the John Mayer Trio album with Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan Try!  It's pretty good, if nothing groundbreaking.  I had a friend call me about it because one of my best neighborhood tackle games.  I had come in to play corner, but only knew one guy on my team.  Seemed like everybody hated me - small, slow, pale.  QB hit a bunch of short outs in front of me.  Late in the game I jumped one and apparently while high-stepping and pointing at the QB I was screaming "WHO DID YOU THINK I WAS?"  My buddy I had not spoken to in 15 years heard the song and called me to remind me.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I saw John Mayer on a tv show too. I would definitely got to a show with John Mayer playing with Questlove and Chappelle yelling psuedo-Spanish gibberish into a bullhorn.  I missed "Controlled Danger," but I hear they did a solid version of Radiohead's Creep.

I bought the John Mayer Trio album with Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan Try!  It's pretty good, if nothing groundbreaking.  I had a friend call me about it because one of my best neighborhood tackle games.  I had come in to play corner, but only knew one guy on my team.  Seemed like everybody hated me - small, slow, pale.  QB hit a bunch of short outs in front of me.  Late in the game I jumped one and apparently while high-stepping and pointing at the QB I was screaming "WHO DID YOU THINK I WAS?"  My buddy I had not spoken to in 15 years heard the song and called me to remind me.

Just can’t take Mayer seriously with that Your Body is a Wonderland song regardless of how true it was 

On 3/11/2023 at 4:14 PM, 20andOut said:

An underrated guitarist l didn’t see mentioned, MarkKnopfler of Dire Straits. 

My Dad's favorite.  He never knew anybody's name but once listening to Dire Straits he told me "This guy is the best guitarist."  It was then that I realized. the big difference in our musical tastes.  He didn't like distortion 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

My Dad's favorite.  He never knew anybody's name but once listening to Dire Straits he told me "This guy is the best guitarist."  It was then that I realized. the big difference in our musical tastes.  He didn't like distortion 

Knopfler was and is fantastic……

• Upvote 2

On 3/18/2023 at 12:25 AM, maury77 said:

Best guitarists I've seen live

Prince at a small nightclub in Manhattan called Life

Eddie Van Halen at the Izod Center

David Gilmour at MSG. 

That's a solid list.  From a live perspective, I'm not sure I can even say who the best is I've seen live because I've seen some legends who were on their last leg and could barely do more than handful of songs; Chuck Berry, BB King, Bo Didley, Buddy Guy.  Keith Richards w/ the Stones too.  I saw Slash once w/ GnR too but I'll be honest, it sucked, they were terrible.  I got to see Johnny Ramone on his last leg too...great show but he wasnt himself.   So some legends but I cant say they were anywhere close to the best performances I've seen live.  So hard to rank them but in no particular order these are the most memorable performances of guitar legends I've seen:

- Tommi Iommi - Oz Fest and the Dio years.  I love him.

- Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes - Allman Brothers.  Saw them about a dozen times and that was some serious guitar dueling. 

- Jimmy Herring - Widespread Panic - he blows my mind, his dexterity and speed is off the charts.

- Billy Strings - same as above, dude is insane, just a ridiculous talent.

- Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine, arguably the greatest concert I've ever seen.

- Ben Harper - the talent that oozes through that man and his ability to play incredible on everything from acoustic to a sit down steel is pretty incredible.

- Mike Campbell - both w/ Tom Petty and w/ Fleetwood Mac 

- Trey Anastasio - I dont love Phish but he's something else.   I honestly I liked his performance w/ Oyster Head more than Phish.

- Luther Dickinson - North Mississippi All Stars

A bunch of "grunge" guitarist who I think are way underrated - Mike McCready melts faces, Jerry Cantrell, Don DeLeo, Dave Navarro.  All incredible live performers who can still shred quite honestly.

And some personal favorites that I'm not sure would be considered great but they are to me; Rivers Cuomo, Bradley Nowell, Joey Santiago, Mike Ness, 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, JiF said:

That's a solid list.  From a live perspective, I'm not sure I can even say who the best is I've seen live because I've seen some legends who were on their last leg and could barely do more than handful of songs; Chuck Berry, BB King, Bo Didley, Buddy Guy.  Keith Richards w/ the Stones too.  I saw Slash once w/ GnR too but I'll be honest, it sucked, they were terrible.  I got to see Johnny Ramone on his last leg too...great show but he wasnt himself.   So some legends but I cant say they were anywhere close to the best performances I've seen live.  So hard to rank them but in no particular order these are the most memorable performances of guitar legends I've seen:

- Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes - Allman Brothers.  Saw them about a dozen times and that was some serious guitar dueling. 

- Jimmy Herring - Widespread Panic - he blows my mind, his dexterity and speed is off the charts.

- Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine, arguably the greatest concert I've ever seen.

- Ben Harper - the talent that oozes through that man and his ability to play incredible on everything from acoustic to a sit down steel is pretty incredible.

- Trey Anastasio - I dont love Phish but he's something else.   I honestly I liked his performance w/ Oyster Head more than Phish.

A bunch of "grunge" guitarist who I think are way underrated - Mike McCready melts faces, Jerry Cantrell, Don DeLeo, Dave Navarro.  All incredible live performers who can still shred quite honestly.

And some personal favorites that I'm not sure would be considered great but they are to me; Rivers Cuomo, Bradley Nowell, Joey Santiago, Mike Ness, 

I saw Luther and the NMAS open up for and then be the back-up band for John Hiatt in a small Ft Lauderdale club. Man I was standing there with my bass player Tim telling him that. we needed to find a way to get him in our band-I love a great slide guitarist.  I also like that cat from The Stone Roses whoever he is Love Spreads kills me every time I hear it

• Upvote 1

On 3/17/2023 at 10:58 AM, SoFlaJets said:

You're frickin' OLD man-I'll bet you even still have a deer-skin fringe jacket in your closet you old hippie you

I used to have a fringed suede jacket (in the 70s).  Loved that thing.  My daughter recently found one in a thrift store and bought it for me as a joke.  Joke was on her.  She decided she actually liked it and kept it.

Here's Jim Gordon wearing a fringed poncho on the cover of the greatest live album in rock history (not debatable).

Derek & The Dominos - In Concert | Releases | Discogs

He was a crazy mofo, and he just died last week, but the man could drum.

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:43 AM, JiF said:

Nice list. I'm so excited to see Billy Strings this summer. Been locked in on him on YouTube for a while now.

Luther is a good call too. North Mississippi All Stars great, and I caught him play with The Black Crowes a few times.

Here's a nice one with Strings and Marcus King

• Upvote 1

Guitars are my life and career, so this is a super hard one to trim down so I’ll go with top 10 in no particular order:

Chet Atkins- No one has his touch and dynamic range. One of the last guitar geniuses imo.

Mark Knopfler- Again, touch and dynamics are unreal. 
                                                                 David Gilmour- Phrasing. His ear for melody was near perfect. 
                                                                   Trey Anastasio- I hate Phish, and I barely like his phrasing but, holy moly, his tone is so second-to-none that it doesn’t matter. 

Peter White- Guitarist for uber-cheeseball (guilty pleasure) Al Stewart, but like Gilmour, his ear for melody is unreal.

Slash- same as Gilmour and White. Melody. I can whistle his solos like they were songs by themselves. Hate GNR, love Slash.

Cliff Gallup- Guitar player for Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps. No one does rock and roll like these guys and Gallup is the monster everyone wishes they were. Just a fun fun listen. 

Steve Howe- Ridiculous. Unfair. No one should be able to play like this. His tone sucked hehe, but it didnt matter. Pure genius. No one ever gets him right.
                                                                 Steve Vai- Shredders suck, but this dude’s range and creativity puts him at a different level, imo. 

Steve Hackett- I’m a huge Genesis fan and their best stuff was when Hackett came in. Not the most technical player but what he played was the epitome of creativity and he blended with his bandmates better than most.  

Honestly there are about 30 others I’d like to fit in here, but these are the players I always go back to. Fun thread!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 4:13 PM, nycdan said:

I used to have a fringed suede jacket (in the 70s).  Loved that thing.  My daughter recently found one in a thrift store and bought it for me as a joke.  Joke was on her.  She decided she actually liked it and kept it.

Here's Jim Gordon wearing a fringed poncho on the cover of the greatest live album in rock history (not debatable).

Derek & The Dominos - In Concert | Releases | Discogs

He was a crazy mofo, and he just died last week, but the man could drum.

Didn't know he died. Really sad they way things went for him. RIP

Love him on The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys album. Welcome To The Canteen also, and anywhere else I come across him

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2023 at 7:07 PM, the Claw said:

Guitars are my life and career, so this is a super hard one to trim down so I’ll go with top 10 in no particular order:

Chet Atkins- No one has his touch and dynamic range. One of the last guitar geniuses imo.

Trey Anastasio- I hate Phish, and I barely like his phrasing but, holy moly, his tone is so second-to-none that it doesn’t matter. 

Peter White- Guitarist for uber-cheeseball (guilty pleasure) Al Stewart, but like Gilmour, his ear for melody is unreal.

Slash- same as Gilmour and White. Melody. I can whistle his solos like they were songs by themselves. Hate GNR, love Slash.

Cliff Gallup- Guitar player for Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps. No one does rock and roll like these guys and Gallup is the monster everyone wishes they were. Just a fun fun listen. 

Steve Howe- Ridiculous. Unfair. No one should be able to play like this. His tone sucked hehe, but it didnt matter. Pure genius. No one ever gets him right.
                                                                 Steve Vai- Shredders suck, but this dude’s range and creativity puts him at a different level, imo. 

Steve Hackett- I’m a huge Genesis fan and their best stuff was when Hackett came in. Not the most technical player but what he played was the epitome of creativity and he blended with his bandmates better than most.  

Honestly there are about 30 others I’d like to fit in here, but these are the players I always go back to. Fun thread!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Didn't know he died. Really sad they way things went for him. RIP

Love him on The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys album. Welcome To The Canteen also, and anywhere else I come across him

The 7 minute solo in the middle of Let It Rain is remarkably listenable.  Hard to explain it.  You just have to hear it.  

• Upvote 2

You nailed it for me, as a fellow guitarist. I'm always partial to great guitarists with a sense of melody and musical structure. Great example is the two solos from Comfortably Numb. Just beautifully shaped and throught out. I'm also partial to guitarists who are not only great technically but who are creative. Jimmy Page was the epitome of a creative force, creating so many genres within rock. Surprised no one appears to have mentioned Jeff Beck, who Gilmour states is his all time favorite. Prince gave the nod to Santana -- why? He said Santana's guitar riffs were beautiful. Slash also has the ear for melody and is technically precise. Gary Moore should be mentioned just for sheer passion in his playing. While I greatly respect the tremendous gifts of Eddie Van Halen, his music always left me a bit cold. I hated his takes on Beat It, but many lauded them. Funny story EVH told: He was in Tower Records and they were playing Beat It on the overhead system. Couple of kids were listening and one commented contemptuously --"did you hear that? Some guy trying to imitate Eddie Van Halen. Eddie tapped them on the shoulder and said, "No, it's really me!" Said he got a big kick out their reaction.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

You nailed it for me, as a fellow guitarist. I'm always partial to great guitarists with a sense of melody and musical structure. Great example is the two solos from Comfortably Numb. Just beautifully shaped and throught out. I'm also partial to guitarists who are not only great technically but who are creative. Jimmy Page was the epitome of a creative force, creating so many genres within rock. Surprised no one appears to have mentioned Jeff Beck, who Gilmour states is his all time favorite. Prince gave the nod to Santana -- why? He said Santana's guitar riffs were beautiful. Slash also has the ear for melody and is technically precise. Gary Moore should be mentioned just for sheer passion in his playing. While I greatly respect the tremendous gifts of Eddie Van Halen, his music always left me a bit cold. I hated his takes on Beat It, but many lauded them. Funny story EVH told: He was in Tower Records and they were playing Beat It on the overhead system. Couple of kids were listening and one commented contemptuously --"did you hear that? Some guy trying to imitate Eddie Van Halen. Eddie tapped them on the shoulder and said, "No, it's really me!" Said he got a big kick out their reaction.

It's absolutely pathetic how many people don't even mention Jimmy Page's name.  I think people just take his (and Led Zeppelin's) greatness for granted.  And I know he's considered to be a "sloppy player".  Doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The guitar solo in 'Another Brick in the Wall' is one of the most beautifully performed solos ever IMO.  It's not fast.  No shredding.  Just gorgeous tone and phrasing.  Makes the guitar feel alive.  I know every note and expression in it and it never gets old.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The guitar solo in 'Another Brick in the Wall' is one of the most beautifully performed solos ever IMO.  It's not fast.  No shredding.  Just gorgeous tone and phrasing.  Makes the guitar feel alive.  I know every note and expression in it and it never gets old.

The MOTHER solo is equally tasty.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's absolutely pathetic how many people don't even mention Jimmy Page's name.  I think people just take his (and Led Zeppelin's) greatness for granted.  And I know he's considered to be a "sloppy player".  Doesn't matter.

I LOVE Paige. .... but Gilmore is more soul touching.  Led Zep is my favorite band, followed buy RUSH and then Floyd.

• Upvote 1

I LOVE THIS POST.  Even the Peter White comment .. saw that guy in LA live ... holy sh*t. Guilty pleasure cheeziness that works.

It saddens me that Eddie didn't make your list. Some of his work on Fair Warning is unbelievable. The solo in Mean Streets is crazy good.

Satriani ?? Wes Montgomery ?

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I LOVE Paige. .... but Gilmore is more soul touching.  Led Zep is my favorite band, followed buy RUSH and then Floyd.

Those three are very much in my top-10, probably my top-5.

Another one there is Yes.  the Claw mentioned Steve Howe.  Definitely an underappreciated guitarist by many who didn't listen to Yes.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I LOVE THIS POST.  Even the Peter White comment .. saw that guy in LA live ... holy sh*t. Guilty pleasure cheeziness that works.

It saddens me that Eddie didn't make your list. Some of his work on Fair Warning is unbelievable. The solo in Mean Streets is crazy good.

Satriani ?? Wes Montgomery ?

Once I figured out how Satriani did some things, the sparkle kinda wore off. I was really into the shredders for a couple of years but he was always further down the list. I put Vai, Johnson, and Petrucci above Joe. 

Eddie is undeniable but I never was into Van Halen. He’s an unbelievable player. Absolutely sick (although Hackett beat him to the tapping thing!). Same thing with Hendrix, undeniable, I just never liked the songs. 

I don’t know why I never got into Wes Montgomery. I was more into Charlie Christian, Barney Kessel, and Kenny Burrell, but then I’m not much of a jazz guitar guy. I like singers and songs when it come to jazz. I could listen to Nina Simone all day long. 

Steve Cropper is a guy who barely missed my list. I could swap him for Vai and still be happy. He was hugely influential when I was playing soul music up in Chicago.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:43 AM, JiF said:

jimmy herring and billy strings are 2 great ones. 

14 hours ago, the Claw said:

Once I figured out how Satriani did some things, the sparkle kinda wore off. I was really into the shredders for a couple of years but he was always further down the list. I put Vai, Johnson, and Petrucci above Joe. 

Eddie is undeniable but I never was into Van Halen. He’s an unbelievable player. Absolutely sick (although Hackett beat him to the tapping thing!). Same thing with Hendrix, undeniable, I just never liked the songs. 

I don’t know why I never got into Wes Montgomery. I was more into Charlie Christian, Barney Kessel, and Kenny Burrell, but then I’m not much of a jazz guitar guy. I like singers and songs when it come to jazz. I could listen to Nina Simone all day long. 

Steve Cropper is a guy who barely missed my list. I could swap him for Vai and still be happy. He was hugely influential when I was playing soul music up in Chicago.  

Funny thing because Satch actually taught Vai how to play when Vai was a young teenager.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Funny thing because Satch actually taught Vai how to play when Vai was a young teenager.

Yeah Satch taught a bunch of people, Long Island guy, right? I think he may have taught Kirk Hammett as well, but don’t quote me on that.