USC OL Andrew Vorhees feared to have suffered a torn ACL during drills at the combine

C Mart

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

USC OL Andrew Vorhees, a top-100 prospect in the 2023 NFL Draft, is feared to have suffered a torn ACL during drills at the combine Sunday, per source. Somehow, Vorhees still did the bench press this morning – and pumped out 38 reps of 225 pounds with one leg on the ground.

That sucks....Take him round 4 or 5...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I have no issues doing a few things that actually affect your play but making olieman run 40s is flat out stupid.

They have been doing the combine for years and I’ve never heard of a lineman popping an ACL running a 40 before today.    So why is this “ flat out stupid”?

I get that o lineman don’t run a 40 on every down but they are asked to get out in space and block.   40 times are also an indicator of explosiveness.   They are trying to become professional athletes- asking them to do “ athletic things” doesn’t seem like such a reach to me.  They aren’t required to high jump and broad jump during games- should they take those tests out too?   

Maybe it’s just me, but I hate over reactions based on one incident.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

They have been doing the combine for years and I’ve never heard of a lineman popping an ACL running a 40 before today.    So why is this “ flat out stupid”?

I get that o lineman don’t run a 40 on every down but they are asked to get out in space and block.   40 times are also an indicator of explosiveness.   They are trying to become professional athletes- asking them to do “ athletic things” doesn’t seem like such a reach to me.  They aren’t required to high jump and broad jump during games- should they take those tests out too?   

Maybe it’s just me, but I hate over reactions based on one incident.

In high schools all over the country entire teams are running 100 yard suicides for conditioning but offensive linemen a month from getting paid millions should not be asked to run 40 yards.  You know these guys may be playing specials.  I think the entire initial purpose of the 40 was the distance for punt coverage.

• Upvote 1