Jump to content

2023 NFL Free Agency: News & Rumors


Recommended Posts

While Jet fans sit on pins & needles anxiously waiting for Aaron Rodgers to make a decision, the free agency tampering period begins a week from today. The Jets probably won't be nearly as active as they have been in year's past; they're expected to make a couple of savvy moves but the focus is all about the QB (whether it be Rodgers via trade or Garoppolo in FA). 

Figure we can use this thread to post news and share rumors. One thing that interests me: Orlando Brown will not be tagged. 

FWIW I don't expect the Jets to sign him, but I do find it interesting that he will make it to free agency because many expected him to be tagged absent an extension. The Jets want to add a "blue chip" talent on the OL this offseason, and while I've been under the impression that it would happen during the draft, I wonder if Joe Douglas will pivot if a guy like him actually hits the open market. 

 

Otherwise, from what I understand most of the moves will be less significant. They do expect to know about Aaron before the tampering period begins. If he's coming here, a lot of the moves will be centered around some of his preferences (i.e. Allen Lazard). As Saleh said, they want to retain most of their defenders but I think they will look into signing a Joyner replacement. I would expect them to sniff around on Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Jessie Bates, and Jordan Poyer but more likely they will look into cheaper options. Think Jimmie Ward, Taylor Rapp, Julian Love, Adrian Amos tier. If they price themselves out I think they will be comfortable waiting to see what falls to them in the draft. Expect them to add some depth at DT with Fletcher Cox as a possibility. Otherwise it'll be more low profile moves along the OL and possibly depth at RB. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aaron Rodgers is expected to potentially be traded to the New York Jets, maybe. If not, he WILL be traded to another team, possibly. Word is that Green bay is also weighing their options of retaining him and that they would appease him with signing free agent talent to surround him, maybe. These are the only options. Unless of course, Aaron decides to retire which insider sources close to him say is the most distinct possibility, somewhat. Stay tuned. 

  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

While Jet fans sit on pins & needles anxiously waiting for Aaron Rodgers to make a decision, the free agency tampering period begins a week from today. The Jets probably won't be nearly as active as they have been in year's past; they're expected to make a couple of savvy moves but the focus is all about the QB (whether it be Rodgers via trade or Garoppolo in FA). 

Figure we can use this thread to post news and share rumors. One thing that interests me: Orlando Brown will not be tagged. 

FWIW I don't expect the Jets to sign him, but I do find it interesting that he will make it to free agency because many expected him to be tagged absent an extension. The Jets want to add a "blue chip" talent on the OL this offseason, and while I've been under the impression that it would happen during the draft, I wonder if Joe Douglas will pivot if a guy like him actually hits the open market. 

 

Otherwise, from what I understand most of the moves will be less significant. They do expect to know about Aaron before the tampering period begins. If he's coming here, a lot of the moves will be centered around some of his preferences (i.e. Allen Lazard). As Saleh said, they want to retain most of their defenders but I think they will look into signing a Joyner replacement. I would expect them to sniff around on Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Jessie Bates, and Jordan Poyer but more likely they will look into cheaper options. Think Jimmie Ward, Taylor Rapp, Julian Love, Adrian Amos tier. If they price themselves out I think they will be comfortable waiting to see what falls to them in the draft. Expect them to add some depth at DT with Fletcher Cox as a possibility. Otherwise it'll be more low profile moves along the OL and possibly depth at RB. 

One question and one thought. Has Jimmy G always been the target? If they keep their picks( no AR) they can very easily come out of the first two rounds with two starting OL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, pointman said:

Aaron Rodgers is expected to potentially be traded to the New York Jets, maybe. If not, he WILL be traded to another team, possibly. Word is that Green bay is also weighing their options of retaining him and that they would appease him with signing free agent talent to surround him, maybe. These are the only options. Unless of course, Aaron decides to retire which insider sources close to him say is the most distinct possibility, somewhat. Stay tuned. 

Source?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I would think that if the Jets wanted to make a blue chip splash on the OL, that it would be at the center position. That’s where they have the most obvious hole, starter and backup. 

Yes, and then they draft an OT in the first round, get AVT and mitchell back and there’s your line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I would think that if the Jets wanted to make a blue chip splash on the OL, that it would be at the center position. That’s where they have the most obvious hole, starter and backup. 

Do you see a player out there we'd target? I don't disagree, I just think there are more top OTs than top Cs. McGovern may be the top one, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yes, and then they draft an OT in the first round, get AVT and mitchell back and there’s your line. 

They don’t need another first round OL. It looks like they’ll have -at a minimum- Brown, Becton, and Mitchell at OT, with AVT also fully capable. Grab one a couple rounds later with the tools but, maybe, less refined skills. Starting caliber OL are found every year as late as the fourth and fifth round. 

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Do you see a player out there we'd target? I don't disagree, I just think there are more top OTs than top Cs. McGovern may be the top one, no?

That’s the obvious hole, that’s all I’m saying. Put a pro bowl caliber player in the center of the OL? I think that’s easily your biggest bang for your OL buck. I did read that the Jets might be in a good spot in the second round if they wanted to target a center there, but I’m not going to pretend I’m studying the draft. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, football guy said:

Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and Rex Hogan are the leaders of the Aaron Rodgers train, so I’m not sure how much I trust this. I do think there are people that liked the Carr option better, but to suggest that they’re only in on A-Rod is because of Woody is not true

Alright---What the F is going on there right now?  Any panic at all in the building?

Or is it just a matter of time now with some final negotiations? Or has Rodgers still not given an answer?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, slats said:

They don’t need another first round OL. It looks like they’ll have -at a minimum- Brown, Becton, and Mitchell at OT, with AVT also fully capable. Grab one a couple rounds later with the tools but, maybe, less refined skills. Starting caliber OL are found every year as late as the fourth and fifth round. 

That’s the obvious hole, that’s all I’m saying. Put a pro bowl caliber player in the center of the OL? I think that’s easily your biggest bang for your OL buck. I did read that the Jets might be in a good spot in the second round if they wanted to target a center there, but I’m not going to pretend I’m studying the draft. 

Agreed.  McGovern quickly moved from my underrated to overrated category and the lack of cohesiveness on blitzes and stunts is a reflection of our center's inability to communicate and call out assignments within the scheme.  I haven't seen any improvement in this over 3 years.

Plus the Jets might be moving away from a zone heavy scheme which fits his athleticism.  They also need a better pocket on passing downs and some push on short yardage running downs. 

Let's get a Center who can anchor & communicate to help solidify the interior before moving on to a 4th Offensive Tackle we can throw into the competition or at the very least valuable depth.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and Rex Hogan are the leaders of the Aaron Rodgers train, so I’m not sure how much I trust this. I do think there are people that liked the Carr option better, but to suggest that they’re only in on A-Rod is because of Woody is not true

Not a shot at you at all because you have great stuff, but if we didn’t get Farve, Tebow and Revis 2 shoved down our throats by our owner this stuff might be more palatable for us to take.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...