2023 NFL Free Agency: News & Rumors

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Thank you!

So what you're saying is the $58 we have to pay this year - actually covers two years cap hit/salary? That seems too good to be true.

I mean if that's the case - this deal is actually fantastic.  Assuming he plays next year.

It's because of how the contract is structured. $58m gets paid this year as a signing bonus, it will get spread over the remaining 4 years of the contract, hence the $15m hit this year. Then after the Super Bowl in 2024 you'd have another option bonus for $45m, which would be spread over the remaining 3 years of the contract. So $15m (from option 1) + $15m (from option 2) = $32m cap hit in 2024.

This is also why Rodgers dead cap hit is $45m if he only play 1 year and $60m if he plays 2

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

It's because of how the contract is structured. $58m gets paid this year as a signing bonus, it will get spread over the remaining 4 years of the contract, hence the $15m hit this year. Then after the Super Bowl in 2024 you'd have another option bonus for $45m, which would be spread over the remaining 3 years of the contract. So $15m (from option 1) + $15m (from option 2) = $32m cap hit in 2024.

This is also why Rodgers dead cap hit is $45m if he only play 1 year and $60m if he plays 2

1527372615_Screenshot_20230306-194733_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e1adf8e0e03b69d03bc5b325cbcade27.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Anyone have details on Rodgers contact, specifically in 2024.

If he plays in 2024 what's his cost.

I know it's $58 upfront this year - does any of that $58 go to next years salary?

But what does he get paid in 2024?

Basically what I'm asking is total guarantee/cap hit over the two years.

For the record, so you know I'm not being lazy.   I did try to figure it out on my own, but this didn't really clear it up for me.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

15.7 million cap hit in 2023

• Thumb Down 1

54 minutes ago, choon328 said:

No, it would be $45 million if he retires after next season

When a player retires, if they cooperate the cap hit is spread over two years. 

So the bill for an Aaron Rodgers one year bender would be $16mm in 2023, $16mm in 2024 (but not playing) and $16mm in 2025 (but not playing).  

I guess teams have seen worse. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So what you're saying is the $58 we have to pay this year - actually covers two years cap hit/salary? That seems too good to be true.

I mean if that's the case - this deal is actually fantastic.  Assuming he plays next year.

The above number are the CAP COST for Aaron Rodgers for 2023 and 2024.

The cash out of pocket paid by the Jets (not our money) is more like $110mm for 2 years.  

If Rodgers retires after 2024, the Jets will have a $60mm dead cap hit, spread over two years.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, football guy said:

There’s no panic. How this has turned out is exactly how they expected it to. If anything my guess is they may be surprised Derek waited this long (he originally wanted to sign before the combine). They were transparent with him and explained that they would wait for Rodgers. Turns out he waited about a week longer than expected

Oh really?  Then the Jets are stupid.  Anyone should have known that Rodgers would draw things out as along as possible.  If he had no deadline he was going to treat it like no deadline.

I personally think the Jets blew it, I think they could have for sure gotten Carr despite the usual manta of excuse making fans who will say he always preferred new orleans. 

But of course my preference was Carr from day one by a wide margin over Rodgers.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, varjet said:

The cash out of pocket paid by the Jets (not our money) is more like $110mm for 2 years.  

If Rodgers retires after 2024, the Jets will have a $60mm dead cap hit, spread over two years.  

And thus we will have no QB and a bunch of young talent that wants to get paid and a fat dead money cap hit..  The whole Rodgers pursuit has been stupid if you ask me.

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Thank you.

So the big payment really are when he retires after 2024.  I was wondering, because the next two years seem like a steal under this market.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And thus we will have no QB and a bunch of young talent that wants to get paid and a fat dead money cap hit..  The whole Rodgers pursuit has been stupid if you ask me.

The plan would have to favor would be to draft another QB next year.  Giving him a year under Rodgers - and ready to play in his second year.  You'll have Wilson's salary off the books and paying a rookie. 

Trick is you have to draft a QB next year that you believe can play in a year.  Having next year's draft capital available to move for a QB will be vital.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

The plan would have to favor would be to draft another QB next year.  Giving him a year under Rodgers - and ready to play in his second year.  You'll have Wilson's salary off the books and paying a rookie. 

Trick is you have to draft a QB next year that you believe can play in a year.  Having next year's draft capital available to move for a QB will be vital.

Two years for Rodgers. Two years for White backing him up. Two years for White bulking up.

• Haha 2

Question. Can the Jets and Packers negotiate that Packers are responsible for paying some of Rodgers contract throughout the length of contract? Hate the idea of paying Rodgers or anyone for that matter (Trumaine Johnson for instance) that keeps the team from holding onto the young talent JD has accumulated 

Question. Can the Jets and Packers negotiate that Packers are responsible for paying some of Rodgers contract throughout the length of contract? Hate the idea of paying Rodgers or anyone for that matter (Trumaine Johnson for instance) that keeps the team from holding onto the young talent JD has accumulated 
I know the Packers can eat some contract, I was wondering if the Jets could conversely restructure the deal to a mega bonus .... Or an annuity like that met that was paid forever. Not saying that is a good idea... Just curious.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I know the Packers can eat some contract, I was wondering if the Jets could conversely restructure the deal to a mega bonus .... Or an annuity like that met that was paid forever. Not saying that is a good idea... Just curious.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Don’t think that annuity thing is a good idea. Just look at the Bonilla contract. Talk about an albatross of a deal for the Mets YIKES 

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Thank you.

So the big payment really are when he retires after 2024.  I was wondering, because the next two years seem like a steal under this market.

It’s like a shorten rookie contract window. If Zach would have hit, we would be talking about a 3 year superbowl window. With Rodgers, we get a 2 year window and then have to regroup after that. Hopefully we can line a young QB to take over once he retires

• Upvote 1

As long as we don’t give up pick 13 (we need that for LT), we can really make this work. Joe Douglas will have a lot of work to do restructuring, getting paycuts, and deferring salary.

If we get Rodgers, I think we sign Lazard and Cobb at WR. Corey Davis either gets cut or is included in the trade. I also think Berrios gets cut.

We will still be able to free up enough space to sign a couple pieces along the defensive line and bring back some key pieces.

21 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

... who represents himself and wants 50 million a year guaranteed and who has missed an awful lot of games recently.

Yeah, but it is odd that *so* many teams, who are desperate for QBs, have come out immediately to say they aren't interested. 

No talking with him, checking in with him, seeing what he wants, negationting etc ....

Everyone just immediately went "nope". 

Strange....

5 minutes ago, morny said:

Yeah, but it is odd that *so* many teams, who are desperate for QBs, have come out immediately to say they aren't interested. 

No talking with him, checking in with him, seeing what he wants, negationting etc ....

Everyone just immediately went "nope". 

Strange....

Or it could be speaking volumes as to what his perception is around the league as far as leadership,  good teammate etc.