2023 NFL Free Agency: News & Rumors

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Or it could be speaking volumes as to what his perception is around the league as far as leadership,  good teammate etc. 

Yeah, until you remember how many teams were interested in Deshaun Watson....

The lack of Lamar Jackson comes down to a few things: 

1. His terms are fairly simple (he wants what Deshaun got and then some) but unless he’s willing to come off of that, you probably may only find 1 or 2 teams willing to negotiate with him in good faith. Baltimore Ravens and…? 
  2. Teams are concerned about paying him the bag, giving the Ravens the draft picks, and then having to build an entirely new offense around his skill set—which probably will need to be adjusted—all while durability issues are mounting.
  3. If you’re investing in him long-term, you’re going to want him to be less of a runner. It just doesn’t make sense to put your franchise QB in harms way so often. So teams have to be comfortable with who he is as the passer. 

Tampa Bay, Houston, and Tennessee are the 3 teams left who we haven’t heard from that I believe could be fits.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, football guy said:

Translation of the Dolphins' message:

1. We're joining in with the other owners in colluding to prevent any more high-priced, fully guaranteed contracts for QBs.  The Watson deal needs to remain an anomaly.

2. Aaron Rodgers is intent on going to the Jets, so we have no shot.

3. If Brady chooses to reverse his retirement (again), he's going to the 49ers and not here.  Goodell has informed us that it would be very bad optics for a team to be penalized for tampering with a player only to then sign that player a year later.

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

The one FA who got free that may be worth paying is C.J. Gardner-Johnson.

His versatility and tone are really underrated aspects of his game, and he proved to be elite  at safety this year. Kwon Alexander was one of our “enforcers” this year, so I wonder if the Jets consider replacing his presence with CJGJ and go cheaper at LB. Doubt it but worth mentioning

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

The one FA who got free that may be worth paying is C.J. Gardner-Johnson.

His versatility and tone are really underrated aspects of his game, and he proved to be elite  at safety this year. Kwon Alexander was one of our “enforcers” this year, so I wonder if the Jets consider replacing his presence with CJGJ and go cheaper at LB. Doubt it but worth mentioning

I like this .. do you think they make a run at mcglinchey/brown or go tackle round 1. Feel like the debate is between vet ol and rookie wideout like Ohio State kid or Lazard and rookie tackle. This assumes what seems likely with Rodgers trade. 

3 minutes ago, OMA said:

I like this .. do you think they make a run at mcglinchey/brown or go tackle round 1. Feel like the debate is between vet ol and rookie wideout like Ohio State kid or Lazard and rookie tackle. This assumes what seems likely with Rodgers trade. 

OL or DL. I think they will have Skoronski first, then Jones, then Johnson. If Skoronski is gone could see trade down and consider John Michael Schmitz

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

OL or DL. I think they will have Skoronski first, then Jones, then Johnson. If Skoronski is gone could see trade down and consider John Michael Schmitz

Stay the course building the trenches is never a bad idea.  Just curious with a qb like Rodgers who helps the line through reads and adjustments if they opt for vets there and give him more outside talent.  I’m an Iowa fan @HawkeyeJet and would not be upset with a slight trade back for Van Ness and pick up a third. Love his game for this team build. Thx for the content. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2023 at 4:23 PM, FidelioJet said:

Alright---What the F is going on there right now?  Any panic at all in the building?

Or is it just a matter of time now with some final negotiations? Or has Rodgers still not given an answer?

You said he'd be signed today. I'm researching Nostradamus. Much more accuracy there.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, football guy said:

Everything hinges on Rodgers right now, but here are a few targets to keep an eye on if/when that shoe drops... don't expect us to be very active in FA outside of adding a versatile OL and depth WRs. Other signings would merely be to replace FAs we lose if we lose them

• OL Daniel Brunskill - as versatile as they come, starting all 5 OL positions since 2017. 
  • OL Billy Turner - another versatile OL. Connections to Hackett and Rodgers. 
  • OL Corey Levin - connection with Keith Carter; deep reserve/roster fringe player.
  • WR Allen Lazard - natural Corey Davis replacement; Rodgers and Hackett advocate him. 
  • WR Adam Thielen - if he's cut and Rodgers is signed, I feel good about this one.  
  • WR Marvin Jones - highly respected veteran WR with some fans in the Jets org. 
  • WR Randall Cobb - I don't believe this one would happen out of the gate. More likely in the summer. 
  • WR Jake Kumerow - a Rodgers guy who can replace Jeff Smith on special teams. 
  • WR Odell Beckham - I doubt this, but mentioning because he and Rodgers have been linked. 
  • TE Marcedes Lewis - he's a Hackett and Rodgers favorite; Ruckert could be traded to GB. 
  • TE Robert Tonyan - doubtful but who knows what the Jets will do to accommodate Aaron. 
  • DL Fletcher Cox - I feel pretty good about this one as a Rankins replacement on a short-term deal. 
  • DL Larry Ogunjobi - Jets were interested last offseason; Jets could circle back. 
  • DL Jarran Reed - another option if they lose out on some of their targets. 
  • DL Matt Ioannidis - see above. 
  • LB Tremaine Edmunds - a Saleh favorite who has yet to turn 25. Could be Mosley's successor. 
  • LB Kyzir White - solid replacement if we lose Quincy Williams/Kwon Alexander. 
  • LB Azeez Al-Shaair - see above. 
  • P Thomas Morstead - I can see the Jets bringing him back to compete with Mann. 

Tremaine Edmunds is the name I'm excited about.  He will definitely cost a significant contract, but he is a young ascending player whose skills are lacking on this defense.  Rangy linebacker that has speed, can blitz, play the run, and cover tight ends.  Also weakens our biggest competition in the division.  Sign me up, even if he is our only "splash" in FA

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, football guy said:

Everything hinges on Rodgers right now, but here are a few targets to keep an eye on if/when that shoe drops... don't expect us to be very active in FA outside of adding a versatile OL and depth WRs. Other signings would merely be to replace FAs we lose if we lose them

• OL Daniel Brunskill - as versatile as they come, starting all 5 OL positions since 2017. 
  • OL Corey Levin - connection with Keith Carter; deep reserve/roster fringe player.
  • WR Allen Lazard - natural Corey Davis replacement; Rodgers and Hackett advocate him. 
  • WR Adam Thielen - if he's cut and Rodgers is signed, I feel good about this one.  
  • WR Randall Cobb - I don't believe this one would happen out of the gate. More likely in the summer. 
  • WR Odell Beckham - I doubt this, but mentioning because he and Rodgers have been linked. 
  • TE Marcedes Lewis - he's a Hackett and Rodgers favorite; Ruckert could be traded to GB. 
  • TE Robert Tonyan - doubtful but who knows what the Jets will do to accommodate Aaron. 
  • DL Fletcher Cox - I feel pretty good about this one as a Rankins replacement on a short-term deal. 
  • DL Larry Ogunjobi - Jets were interested last offseason; Jets could circle back. 
  • LB Tremaine Edmunds - a Saleh favorite who has yet to turn 25. Could be Mosley's successor. 
  • P Thomas Morstead - I can see the Jets bringing him back to compete with Mann. 

Having Edmunds and Mosely on the roster would tie up a lot of cap space at the linebacker position. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'm skeptical. 

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Having Edmunds and Mosely on the roster would tie up a lot of cap space at the linebacker position. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'm skeptical. 

We're going to have a lot of money tied up in LBs either way. If negotiations with Quincy and Kwon trend south, they could pivot and sign Edmunds, with cheaper/younger options after that. Mosley would call the plays but they would rotate (he played WLB and MLB last 2 seasons), with Edmunds succeeding him next year or the year following

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Do the jets not think much of ruckert?

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think there's a chance he could be included in the Aaron Rodgers trade

I hope not. I'd rather ship out 1 of the other 2 TEs on our roster. I think Ruckert has a bright future.  

• Upvote 2

I hope not. I'd rather ship out 1 of the other 2 TEs on our roster. I think Ruckert has a bright future.  
He is definitely one of the stories I was interested in .. we didn't get to see him much last year at all .. 1 catch.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

On 3/8/2023 at 3:35 PM, BigRy56 said:

I know we're not exactly in need of a running back, but I would love to see Jamaal Williams follow his boy AR12 to the Jets if/when that happens

I know LaFleur is gone and therefor the SF connection is less obvious but I’d keep an eye on Mostert or McKinnon on that list

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

Thielen released. I think there's a good chance he winds up here if/when the Rodgers trade gets done

Would make sense.  Corey Davis can be cut for only $666K dead cap and $10M in savings.

Wilson/Thielen/Moore could be a nice WR corps.

• Upvote 2