2023 NFL Free Agency: News & Rumors

Some names that are possibilities to help the team in FA that are within budget. I took out the out of touch dream signings. Some have ties to the coaching staff/Rodgers. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/free-agency-landscape-jets-could-go-bargain-shopping-on-offense

Head coach Robert Saleh said the the team would have a judicious approach to free agency, which likely takes them out of the market for the top players with expiring contracts. General manager Joe Douglas, however, said that the team still has financial flexibility while it navigates the free-agent waters, which includes 19 of the Jets unrestricted free agents.

Below is a snapshot of who could be available on offense, except quarterback, when the new League Year starts on March 15 at 4 p.m. Eastern.

Offensive Line

The Jets have several free agents along the offensive line including starters C Connor McGovern, G Nate Herbig and T George Fant. The Jets, however, have four players on the mend and under contract for 2023 -- Duane Brown (shoulder), Mekhi Becton (knee), Alijah Vera-Tucker (triceps) and Max Mitchell (blood clots). Here are a couple players with expiring contracts on other teams who could be in play for the Green & White.

Ethan Pocic (Browns) – Pocic started 13 games this past season for Cleveland after spending the first five years of his NFL career in Seattle. Pocic allowed 8 pressures on 428 pass-blocking snaps, good for the seventh-lowest pressure rate allowed in the NFL (1.87 percent), per TruMedia. Pocic, Garrett Bradbury (Vikings) and Bradley Bozeman (Panthers) headline the center group.

Andre Dillard (Eagles)– Douglas was in Philadelphia when the Eagles drafted Dillard, who would add depth and experience to the Jets' line. He's started 9 games in three seasons and appeared in 43.

Nick Gates (Giants)– Gates offers center-guard versatility, which is the bill Dan Feeney, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent, fit for the Jets the last two seasons. Gates, who signed with the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2019, appeared in 10 games (8 starts) in 2022 and has started 29 games in four seasons.

Wide Receiver/Tight End

Almost all the Jets starters return at wide receiver and tight end. WRs Corey Davis, Garrett Wilson and Elijah Moore are under contract and so are TEs Tyler Conklin and C.J. Uzomah.

Allen Lazard (Packers) – Lazard is a big-bodied receiver and a good run blocker, who played under Jets new OC Nathaniel Hackett. He was the No. 6 run blocker among wide receivers who took at least 300 snaps in 2020, according to PFF. The Iowa State product is coming off a career high 60 receptions and 788 yards. He also had 6 touchdowns last season.

Mecole Hardman (Chiefs) – If the Jets want to add elite speed and versatility, Hardman fits the bill. Hardman's 4.33 40-yard dash at the 2019 Combine was tied for the second fastest among wide receivers. He also offers special teams value and has 2 return touchdowns in his career (one punt, one kick). He's coming off a pelvic injury and was limited to 8 games in 2022.

Running Back

The Jets have many talented horses in the stable, headlined by the return of second-year player Breece Hall. Douglas said the goal is to have Hall, who is recovering from a torn ACL, ready for the season opener in September. Michael Carter and Zonovan "Bam" Knight are under contract and return after carrying the load after Hall's injury.

D'Ernest Johnson (Browns) – Johnson has averaged 5.2 yards per carry in his four-year career but has eclipsed more than 35 carries once. In 2021 he had 100 carries for 534 yards and 3 scores. There's a lot of tread remaining on the tire and his best ball could be in front of him.

Latavius Murray (Broncos) – Murray, 33, would add a veteran presence in the room and ran for 703 yards and five scores in 2022 for Hackett's Broncos. The Jets could look to add a bigger back to take some of the load off Hall, especially early in the season. Other veterans on the market include Damien Harris, Raheem Mostert, Marlon Mack and Kenyan Drake.

• Upvote 1

D’Ernest Johnson is a great target. 

I think there’s a few options at C, Pocic being one of them. The WR situation is dismal. I don’t like paying for past performance, so Thielen and Beckham give me pause. I don’t like that Lazard’s #1 parse attribute is his run blocking. Gives me Stephen Hill vibes.

Ultimately, I do like the idea of signing 2 OL and a RB in this FA period. I’m hesitant if the WRs. I really hate that Randall Cobb might take up a roster spot.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Some names that are possibilities to help the team in FA that are within budget. I took out the out of touch dream signings. Some have ties to the coaching staff/Rodgers. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/free-agency-landscape-jets-could-go-bargain-shopping-on-offense

Head coach Robert Saleh said the the team would have a judicious approach to free agency, which likely takes them out of the market for the top players with expiring contracts. General manager Joe Douglas, however, said that the team still has financial flexibility while it navigates the free-agent waters, which includes 19 of the Jets unrestricted free agents.

Below is a snapshot of who could be available on offense, except quarterback, when the new League Year starts on March 15 at 4 p.m. Eastern.

Offensive Line

The Jets have several free agents along the offensive line including starters C Connor McGovern, G Nate Herbig and T George Fant. The Jets, however, have four players on the mend and under contract for 2023 -- Duane Brown (shoulder), Mekhi Becton (knee), Alijah Vera-Tucker (triceps) and Max Mitchell (blood clots). Here are a couple players with expiring contracts on other teams who could be in play for the Green & White.

Ethan Pocic (Browns) – Pocic started 13 games this past season for Cleveland after spending the first five years of his NFL career in Seattle. Pocic allowed 8 pressures on 428 pass-blocking snaps, good for the seventh-lowest pressure rate allowed in the NFL (1.87 percent), per TruMedia. Pocic, Garrett Bradbury (Vikings) and Bradley Bozeman (Panthers) headline the center group.

Andre Dillard (Eagles)– Douglas was in Philadelphia when the Eagles drafted Dillard, who would add depth and experience to the Jets' line. He's started 9 games in three seasons and appeared in 43.

Nick Gates (Giants)– Gates offers center-guard versatility, which is the bill Dan Feeney, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent, fit for the Jets the last two seasons. Gates, who signed with the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2019, appeared in 10 games (8 starts) in 2022 and has started 29 games in four seasons.

Wide Receiver/Tight End

Almost all the Jets starters return at wide receiver and tight end. WRs Corey Davis, Garrett Wilson and Elijah Moore are under contract and so are TEs Tyler Conklin and C.J. Uzomah.

Allen Lazard (Packers) – Lazard is a big-bodied receiver and a good run blocker, who played under Jets new OC Nathaniel Hackett. He was the No. 6 run blocker among wide receivers who took at least 300 snaps in 2020, according to PFF. The Iowa State product is coming off a career high 60 receptions and 788 yards. He also had 6 touchdowns last season.

Mecole Hardman (Chiefs) – If the Jets want to add elite speed and versatility, Hardman fits the bill. Hardman's 4.33 40-yard dash at the 2019 Combine was tied for the second fastest among wide receivers. He also offers special teams value and has 2 return touchdowns in his career (one punt, one kick). He's coming off a pelvic injury and was limited to 8 games in 2022.

Running Back

The Jets have many talented horses in the stable, headlined by the return of second-year player Breece Hall. Douglas said the goal is to have Hall, who is recovering from a torn ACL, ready for the season opener in September. Michael Carter and Zonovan "Bam" Knight are under contract and return after carrying the load after Hall's injury.

D'Ernest Johnson (Browns) – Johnson has averaged 5.2 yards per carry in his four-year career but has eclipsed more than 35 carries once. In 2021 he had 100 carries for 534 yards and 3 scores. There's a lot of tread remaining on the tire and his best ball could be in front of him.

Latavius Murray (Broncos) – Murray, 33, would add a veteran presence in the room and ran for 703 yards and five scores in 2022 for Hackett's Broncos. The Jets could look to add a bigger back to take some of the load off Hall, especially early in the season. Other veterans on the market include Damien Harris, Raheem Mostert, Marlon Mack and Kenyan Drake.

If they sign another FA C rather than draft one, they can go to hell.

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

https://titansized.com/2023/03/06/derrick-henry-shopped-tennessee-titans/

People are going to bring up that the San Francisco 49ers traded a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and a future 5th-round pick for Christian McCaffrey at the trade deadline last year. The Tennessee Titans won’t get that kind of return for two reasons.

The 49ers have McCaffrey under contract for three more years with no guaranteed money according to Over The Cap. This means that the second they feel like he isn’t a factor anymore, they can cut him without any dead money.

Someone trading for Derrick Henry would have to decide on a fair value for a new contract after this season since he is in the final year of his contract.

That goes hand-in-hand with the other big factor, which is age. McCaffrey will be 27 this season and he is two and a half years younger than Derrick Henry. The rate of decline for running backs in the NFL hits a steep decline around 30 years old, and while Henry trains like someone who could keep outrunning Father Time, no one can know how long that will last.

Henry will probably still be worth a second-round pick, but anyone who is expecting more than that should prepare to be disappointed.

If the Tennessee Titans are going to trade Ryan Tannehill, it makes sense to trade Derrick Henry as well. I know fans want to cling to the idea that Derrick Henry will be a good safety blanket for a rookie quarterback, but what if the rookie QB fits better into an offense that runs out of the shotgun? Or what if he does better running plays out of empty? Or if he doesn’t do well in an offense that uses two tight ends? Or a dozen other variables where a rookie and Henry might not mesh together as well as it sounds on paper?

The fact is that if you are restarting at quarterback, you are restarting across the board. That is the signal to get rid of any older players that have value so that you can invest in young players whose best years should align with your rookie quarterback. Otherwise, you aren’t giving the most important asset on your roster the best chance to succeed.

Someone is going to steal Henry for a year. 

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

What was so terrible about that take? He said Balt doesn't want to guarantee him all that money. That would seem to be the case, or they would have a contract by now, no? You also ended your own post by stating they don't want to guarantee him what he's looking for. The rest of his post, to me, read like stating his opinion was exactly what he was doing. Unfounded? Has Lamar not had multiple injuries? Is his game/success not heavily predicated on his legs and athleticism? Do those qualities not typically diminish with age? 

??‍♂️

Because he conveniently neglects to mention Baltimore has already offered him a 5 year 250 mil contract with over $130 mil guaranteed. 
He also makes it sound like the Ravens aren’t interested at all in giving him $50 mil per, when in fact it’s Lamar who refuses to negotiate with them until they agree to guarantee the entire deal.

Takes are terrible when personal feelings are presented as facts, and also a completely different thing than stating an opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Because he conveniently neglects to mention Baltimore has already offered him a 5 year 250 mil contract with over $130 mil guaranteed. 
He also makes it sound like the Ravens aren’t interested at all in giving him $50 mil per, when in fact it’s Lamar who refuses to negotiate with them until they agree to guarantee the entire deal.
Takes are terrible when personal feelings are presented as facts, and also a completely different thing than stating an opinion.
Perfect Post .. was looking for ways to add to it ... No luck .. perfect Post.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Daron Payne signed a 4/$90M deal with $60M guaranteed after being tagged by Washington. Probably to an extent will inform Quinnen Williams extension talks.

Had half a sack less than Q last year and made the Pro Bowl, also is 25 and a ‘Bama guy.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The jets could trade moore for legit draft picks still.   

I'm not sure how "legit" a pick we can get, but this wr class is dogsh*t so I wouldn't be surprised if teams were interested in Moore or Davis, but Jets would still need to replace them. Regardless of how you feel about them, it won't make our offense better. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wonder if Elijah Moore is on the block if the Jets are serious about OBJ

Bunch of free agents and Moore. I feel like Kleiman is a goofball but maybe Moore is on the block. I’d think they’d want to take a shot he improves his value with better QB instead of trading him at the lowest value he’s had since they drafted him, but it is the Jets.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, derp said:

Bunch of free agents and Moore. I feel like Kleiman is a goofball but maybe Moore is on the block. I’d think they’d want to take a shot he improves his value with better QB instead of trading him at the lowest value he’s had since they drafted him, but it is the Jets.

Yeah, but Mary Kay Cabot has always been plugged in with the Browns. Receivers are going to be at a premium this offseason because of the trash free agent crop. 

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but Mary Kay Cabot has always been plugged in with the Browns. Receivers are going to be at a premium this offseason because of the trash free agent crop. 

Yeah, she is. Looks like her piece might be paywalled? We’ll see how much of a premium, but I’d still think his value is relatively low compared to the past couple offseason’s - and would go up if the Jets get some competent QB play this year.

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2023 at 3:17 PM, slimjasi said:

He did!

That's incredible. When he was with the Jets and were tortured by having to listen to that man attempt to speak the English language and, at the time, I had said that RA has the IQ of an empty jar of mayonnaise. 

I may have been unfair to the jar.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Good news, and had to be done - you can't let talented young pass-rushers walk for free.

Hopefully, Huff gets more PT this year and sticks around long-term.

Huff is a very capable edge rusher out of the Wide-9 formation. His only deficiency is setting the edge. He’s just too small. 

Clemons and JJ have the size to set the edge, but we still need to see if they can fire off the ball and bend like Huff.