Kwon Gone? Jets Linebacker Kwon Alexander Hints at Moving on

Kwon-Alexander-scaled.jpg

Kwon Alexander was brought in to beef up a thin linebacking corps for the New York Jets last season and the veteran had a solid campaign, racking up 69 tackles as a part-time player.  Now it appears he’ll be on the move again.

Can’t wait to see what’s next for me !!

— Kwon Alexander (@kwon) March 7, 2023

Alexander took to twitter to simply say he “can’t wait to see what’s next for me” a short while ago.  Retaining Alexander is something the Jets likely considered (or are still considering) as they have no other established talent at outside linebacker.  Last year’s other starter, Quincy Williams is due to hit free agency, leaving only Hamsah Nasirildeen.

Come draft time we should see Joe Douglas and company zero in on some linebackers with one of the top candidates being Washington State’s Daiyan Henley.

The post Kwon Gone? Jets Linebacker Kwon Alexander Hints at Moving on appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Kwon played great, but there was a reason why the Jets ended up with him last year-they could afford him with a QB on a rookie contract.

Now that that is over, they can't afford expensive veterans anymore.  Its time for Sherwood, Hamsay and Surratt to step up.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

12 hours ago, JetNation said:

Kwon-Alexander-scaled.jpg

Kwon Alexander was brought in to beef up a thin linebacking corps for the New York Jets last season and the veteran had a solid campaign, racking up 69 tackles as a part-time player.  Now it appears he’ll be on the move again.

Can’t wait to see what’s next for me !!

— Kwon Alexander (@kwon) March 7, 2023

Alexander took to twitter to simply say he “can’t wait to see what’s next for me” a short while ago.  Retaining Alexander is something the Jets likely considered (or are still considering) as they have no other established talent at outside linebacker.  Last year’s other starter, Quincy Williams is due to hit free agency, leaving only Hamsah Nasirildeen.

Come draft time we should see Joe Douglas and company zero in on some linebackers with one of the top candidates being Washington State’s Daiyan Henley.

The post Kwon Gone? Jets Linebacker Kwon Alexander Hints at Moving on appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Bad move 

11 hours ago, varjet said:

Kwon played great, but there was a reason why the Jets ended up with him last year-they could afford him with a QB on a rookie contract.

Now that that is over, they can't afford expensive veterans anymore.  Its time for Sherwood, Hamsay and Surratt to step up.  

Huh? Kwon was signed for $1.2m last year

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, varjet said:

He signed a 1 year 1 mil contract…can’t get much cheaper than that 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The short contracts are great for flexibility but we certainly always have lots of holes.

They are also how you get compensatory picks.  If somebody signs Alexander to a decent longer term contract it counts on the formula.  I think the Bucs got a 4th based on the contract he signed with SF and it probably might have been a 3rd if he didn't miss half the year.

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They are also how you get compensatory picks.  If somebody signs Alexander to a decent longer term contract it counts on the formula.  I think the Bucs got a 4th based on the contract he signed with SF and it probably might have been a 3rd if he didn't miss half the year.

Pretty sure that only works if you're not offsetting that with your own signings.

So it's great if you're loaded with talent and losing guys -- less so if you're just churning contracts.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Pretty sure that only works if you're not offsetting that with your own signings.

So it's great if you're loaded with talent and losing guys -- less so if you're just churning contracts.

Absolutely.  If we get Rodgers via trade, who are we going to offset it with?  Trades and guys signed after sometime in May do not count.  Guys who were cut do not count.  Unlike the recent past, I do not think we will necessarily be buyers this year.