Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Again they are the bottom of depth chart... Who cares... sign them all... the Jets have their core... Rodgers wants some veteran pieces to help teach the offense, this is not unusual... In fact Stafford and Brady both did the same thing when they were traded late in their career.... but you must know better.

Beckham's a lunatic that's a year off ACL surgery and 5 months off of getting thrown off a flight for refusing to put on his seatbelt, so yeah Rodgers demanding him actually makes a ton of sense. There was a stretch on this board years ago where maybe the only thing that united every poster was the fact that the Giants were stuck with him.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

the optics are in the eye of the beholder

to some, it may look like JD is sucking up to rodgers by getting his friends in an attempt to finally convince him to come play for the jets

to others, it looks like JD is pretty sure rodgers is coming here, and he's looking to build a team around rodgers to compete for a playoff/title run, including adding some of rodgers' preferred players.

i'm more in the second camp.  and of course, none of these other players have actually agreed to a deal with the jets (at least based on current reporting)

I'm in the second camp as well, due to some sources I have. The media will probably play the angle of the first group though.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Sounds like the jet offense is going to get older very fast 

Lazard is 27 and a clear upgrade over Corey Davis, he's Superior run blocker and RedZone target.

They're not signing both Cobb and Lewis.  Maybe one of them - but Lewis is still a very good blocker and locker room guy.  That O needs some vets.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Would have said huge trade 3 years ago. Waller has been a huge disappointment over the past 2 years and a lot of that has to do with the fact he can't stay healthy. 

Especially in a year where the TE draft class is supposedly very deep.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Beckham's a lunatic that's a year off ACL surgery and 5 months off of getting thrown off a flight for refusing to put on his seatbelt, so yeah Rodgers demanding him actually makes a ton of sense. There was a stretch on this board years ago where maybe the only thing that united every poster was the fact that the Giants were stuck with him.

No demands... Wish list... OBJ isn't coming to the Jets unless he signs a cheap prove it deal,

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

They don't understand FA...And it's not their jobs...Just work on getting better..It'll be cleared up in a few days...

I like the idea of players letting Arod know too much of his shi+ won't be tolerated.

I mean if this is how it's starting...  come preseason, maybe the oline lets a DE through untouched to teach Aaron how to behave.

Great player.  But damn he can be annoying.

22 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Lazard is nothing special, but he's an acceptable replacement for Corey Davis.  He'll be just fine as a #2/#3 WR.

No thanks to Cobb.  He's done.  I'd rather stick with and/or pick up younger options such as Jeff Smith who at least provides some speed to the offense and plays special teams.

The current stable of TE's is just fine.

I truly hope that Joe Douglas sticks to the plan of primarily building this team through the draft.  I don't mind bringing in one or two players that Rodgers is familiar with, but it should be done thoughtfully.  End of the day, the players should be able to get on the same page through camp, preseason, and offseason workouts.  Talent trumps all.

'22 Cobb 13 games 34 catches...Smith 11 games 8 catches..Smith career 34 catches...Cobb will be behind Moore

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Again they are the bottom of depth chart... Who cares... sign them all... the Jets have their core... Rodgers wants some veteran pieces to help teach the offense, this is not unusual... In fact Stafford and Brady both did the same thing when they were traded late in their career.... but you must know better.

I guess we'll just have to see it.

I hope they play special teams and are not all injuried by week 5

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

apparently.  But thats how I feel about chasing those players.  Lazard > Davis, so I'm down with that. Lewis, Cobb, not so much.

Yeah, the Cobb thing can't be anything more than #5 or #6 guy and a vet in the WR room can go a long way.  If this team really wants to make a Super Bowl run they have to grow up fast - and having guys like Cobb around can help that effort.

I'm excited for Lazard though.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

How about that Cobb wouldn't be a bad 5th option the fact of Moore learning from a great slot WR that has played with AR? That can only help right? Having guys that make us better that ALSO can help our young WRs learn AR, the system, etc. That's a win win. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I like the idea of players letting Arod know too much of his shi+ won't be tolerated.

I mean if this is how it's starting...  come preseason, maybe the oline lets a DE through untouched to teach Aaron how to behave.

Great player.  But damn he can be annoying.

we don't even know what player(s)..for all we know it's yeboah and streveler

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

'22 Cobb 13 games 34 catches...Smith 11 games 8 catches..Smith career 34 catches...Cobb will be behind Moore

Exactly.  Cobb is an upgrade over Smith.  As a player and in the WR room.

We have to look at who these guys are replacing and what they're being paid before judging the moves.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, the Cobb thing can't be anything more than #5 or #6 guy and a vet in the WR room can go a long way.  If this team really wants to make a Super Bowl run they have to grow up fast - and having guys like Cobb around can help that effort.

I'm excited for Lazard though.  

Cobb would be a substitute / depth guy. Who cares if it’s Jeff smith or cobb? Not like the guy is going to get 10m per year. Likely be had for what he got last year which is under 3 mill. It won’t make or break us in the slightest.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Lazard is 27 and a clear upgrade over Corey Davis, he's Superior run blocker and RedZone target.

They're not signing both Cobb and Lewis.  Maybe one of them - but Lewis is still a very good blocker and locker room guy.  That O needs some vets.

Corey Davis is 28 and came into the Jets as a quality run blocker from a run first offense. And he’d had two seasons better than Lazard’s best career season thus far.

If Lazard is cheaper and has familiarity with the QB then that’s great but let’s not overrate him too much. Hopefully he’s a WR3 who adds a different skill set to the room.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Saul Goodman said:

The number of red flags just continues to grow. Building a team around a 39 year old QB who considers retirement every offseason is wild. 

Who would it be hurting?

Lewis would cost nothing and be a 3rd TE and actually valuable for blocking.

Cobb would cost nothing and can be a 5th WR for us. Can only help the young guys like GW and Moore learn the system and get on the same page as AR.

Lazard is 27 and is probably the best FA WR available. Just so happens he played with AR. He'd be a great addition regardless.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you..

It is a little scary!

We have one of the most skilled QBs not of this generation but of any generation potentially joining the Jets, the place where QBs go to die, and folks are making up reasons why Rogers is awful or will fail.

Just amazing.....

Jets fans have been programmed to be miserable all the time. 3 generations of losing can destroy even the most even keeled fan. I constantly have to fight the negative energy that builds up inside me every time I see the Jets logo! ?

I think Adam Gase was the tipping point that sent the last few holdouts over the edge. ?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The number of red flags just continues to grow. Building a team around a 39 year old QB who considers retirement every offseason is wild. 

Bringing in low priced vets and a 27 year old FA is building around Rodgers? Looks like to me, they are getting guys in each position room that’ll help get all the jets players on the same page with Rodgers and our new OC. outside of odell, none of those guys will be big ticket players.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

What else do you want everybody to do? Let's start with us, the fans posting here. Can we stop? No. 

The media? Click bait is how they make their money. They'll make up any BS story and say "unconfirmed sources..."

AR? He's getting his kicks. 19 years in the NFL I bet he hates the media. Of course he's going to keep feeding them bullsh*t to make them look dumb. 

His last contract was signed March 17, 2022 and by law an NFL contract cannot be reworked until 1 year has passed.

Actually, from what I can tell, it was march 14th or 15th when he signed it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, derp said:

Corey Davis is 28 and came into the Jets as a quality run blocker from a run first offense. And he’d had two seasons better than Lazard’s best career season thus far.

If Lazard is cheaper and has familiarity with the QB then that’s great but let’s not overrate him too much. Hopefully he’s a WR3 who adds a different skill set to the room.

The past two years Lazard has put up more yards and TD's than Davis.  Davis has been unable to stay healthy and not a particularly good red zone target.

Lazard isn't just a minor upgrade but a major one over Davis.  

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Doug. I would never, ever attempt to lecture you. I know we’ve tried the washed-vet superteam a few times already, but this iteration would be like if Rex and Tannenbaum successfully landed Peyton Manning after 2011, except Rodgers is better now than Peyton was at that point. Maybe it works, or maybe it’ll just be good theater

@bitonti 

I can understand why everyone is frustrated with Rodgers, and from one angle, he looks like an ecomaniacal prick.

This is a different cat.  Somebody who purposely drinks Ayahuasca tea to go on an inward journey of self-discovery is not operating on the level most people operate on.  While I get it looks like complete arrogance from one perspective, I honestly have no doubt this dude is also thinking about "Do I want to take this pressure on?"  Like, if I go to New York, the expectations are "Super Bowl or bust."  Do I want that pressure in my life?  Can I bring that to the table?  If this dude at the age of 39 years old can dig down and say "Yeah.....Lets do this thing."  He will be worth it.  This will be the guy that will give it his all.  He may not get us there, but he will give it his all.  Brady is built the same way.  And that is a mindset shift you want to reverberate throughout your organization.  

I honestly didn't think he would want to come here.  But a dude like this isn't going to take something like this on unless he believes he can do it.  And make no mistake, the expectation from this fan-base fueled by a media-rabid city is "Super Bowl or bust."  Anything less will be deemed a failure.

IF he actually signs here....buckle up.  It's gonna be a fun year next year!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2