Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

You have held this line consistently.  Why on earth do you think the Jets would ever back out of this deal?  If JD is offering a conditional 3rd rounder, and that's the line in the sand, what motivation would he have to pull it?  To go sign Mariotta?  You're right, all the good plan B options are gone  So what pressure is on JD?  I'm not understanding your thought process here.  
Join the club, lol.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Nothing right now.

At a certain point?  The ability to have cap space over the next two years.

For a franchise trying to move on, they could also make this situation go sour to the fan base. It can become a big distraction and no matter how they try to spin it, it’ll look like they are holding him hostage. The jets are the Rodgers market. What the jets are offering is what the Rodgers market is.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Someone’s still stuck in the 90s.

You may not be familiar with the idea, but teams that win say, the Division Title, make the playoffs (6 years consecutively and counting) and advance... they typically... wait for it... celebrate. 

*I Posted this in the other thread but I think its relevant to both*

I understand Why its confusing but it comes down to this:

- Packers have slight leverage now because they feel the media will pressure Woody and JD

- The Closer Draft Day comes the more leverage the Jets have if Green Bay wants a draft pick in this draft.

- If Green Bay feels it can wait till 2024 and beyond and get more compensation by waiting then maybe the media shifts back to the Jets and puts pressure Woody and JD.

- *EDIT (Forgot May 1st Jordan Love 5th year Option Deadline)*

- If JD sticks to his guns and Aaron starts showing up to training camp this might shift it back into Jets favor

- The closer that it comes to the start of the season it ramps the pressure back on Green Bay because ... Who they gonna start... Bad press narrative starts running through Green Bay...

- On September 8th they need to pick up his option Bonus of 60 Million. I think because if they don't their cap hit is 75 Million or something for 2024.

- At any time Aaron can put more pressure on Packers by doing more weekly spots hurting Green Bay's credibility... From their most tenured player ever.

So there is actually a lot of leverage on Jets side if they play that dirty and wait.

Green Bay needs if off the book this year.

This is why Green Bay has leaked a lot to shefter and other media because they know thats the only leverage they have.

You can say that they Jets need a QB and if GB keeps him on the roster they have 2 and Jets will need to pivot but If Jets play chicken Green Bay screws its franchise in 2024 on top of having a terrible PR with a dissatisfied HOF QB on your roster screwing Love and getting 0 Compensation for your disgruntled HOF QB.

But I think Jets understand this and maybe signs someone like Rivers to hold them over till Rodgers gets traded, or cut. Thats the leverage the Jets have

Part of the confusion is the media is making the assumption that Rodgers will retire to help Green Bay... I think this is Aaron Rodgers Golden Gun... He can just play, and the more you make him mad the worse it gets....

@Beerfish@Dcronin@section314

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I hope that your rumblings are just...gas. You're a true Saleh guy -- All Gas and beyond.

If this turns out to be true...then this would be the Jettsiest Jet Failure of all time...by a wide margin.

I am just telling you a rumor that I heard from someone who while a bit of the type to screw around because he knows I'm a Jets fan is about a well connected as you can get.

15 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Part of the confusion is the media is making the assumption that Rodgers will retire to help Green Bay... I think this is Aaron Rodgers Golden Gun... He can just play, and the more you make him mad the worse it gets,...

Yup this is spot on.

AR isn’t going to do this quite yet. But I say give it a week if I’m the Jets and his camp. Then play this card…..

You want to force the move to the Jets. Say you’ll stay in GB and not retire. Say you 100% want the Jets still, but the other option is playing for GB not retirement. GB then loses ALL leverage and will trade him ASAP. Because they want nothing to do with paying him that next bonus (in august or September I believe).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

That’s not what that means at all.

The Jets prefer Rodgers.  Rodgers wants to be here.  Why would they pivot just yet.  Because one side is being unrealistic and re-negged on a handshake deal because they don’t want to look bad?

The cap implications mean that Green Bay’s “leverage” fades more and more as the days go by.  They’re, essentially, banking on Joe Douglas caving into groans by the fanbase, which is not going to happen.

Do you think JD will be doing a press conference anytime soon? Last one was at the Combine. Lots of questions to be answered 

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets have very little leverage, they are 100% committed to getting Rodgers and played all their cards.  They no longer have any good plan B's and are desperate for plan A and worse yet they have very likely 100% promised rodgers they are trading for him.....before seeing what the price was going to be.

Both teams face a disaster if the trade does not go through we shall see who has the nerve to hold firm.

You are simply wrong, but too naive to see it.

32 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

*I Posted this in the other thread but I think its relevant to both*

I understand Why its confusing but it comes down to this:

- Packers have slight leverage now because they feel the media will pressure Woody and JD

- The Closer Draft Day comes the more leverage the Jets have if Green Bay wants a draft pick in this draft.

- If Green Bay feels it can wait till 2024 and beyond and get more compensation by waiting then maybe the media shifts back to the Jets and puts pressure Woody and JD.

- If JD sticks to his guns and Aaron starts showing up to training camp this might shift it back into Jets favor

- The closer that it comes to the start of the season it ramps the pressure back on Green Bay because ... Who they gonna start... Bad press narrative starts running through Green Bay...

- On September 8th they need to pick up his option Bonus of 60 Million. I think because if they don't their cap hit is 75 Million or something for 2024.

- At any time Aaron can put more pressure on Packers by doing more weekly spots hurting Green Bay's credibility... From their most tenured player ever.

So there is actually a lot of leverage on Jets side if they play that dirty and wait.

Green Bay needs if off the book this year.

This is why Green Bay has leaked a lot to shefter and other media because they know thats the only leverage they have.

You can say that they Jets need a QB and if GB keeps him on the roster they have 2 and Jets will need to pivot but If Jets play chicken Green Bay screws its franchise in 2024 on top of having a terrible PR with a dissatisfied HOF QB on your roster screwing Love and getting 0 Compensation for your disgruntled HOF QB.

But I think Jets understand this and maybe signs someone like Rivers to hold them over till Rodgers gets traded, or cut. Thats the leverage the Jets have

Part of the confusion is the media is making the assumption that Rodgers will retire to help Green Bay... I think this is Aaron Rodgers Golden Gun... He can just play, and the more you make him mad the worse it gets,...

I just find it hard to believe this standoff lasts more than a week. The Packers don’t want this guy around anymore and they aren’t going to deal with the optics of holding Aaron Rodgers hostage. I am sure the two teams will agree on fair compensation. 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Wingo is correct on this half of his assessment (deal is 99% done but may not happen until next week), then reading between the lines the holdup is Green Bay doesn't want to look like they caved early to get so little in return without at least trying to hold out for more.

They hold off with an announcement, let another week go by, and Gutekunst saves face at least a little bit when the only 1st rounder he gets is a conditional future one that has ties to serious player+team success (as it should). 

I honestly hope that is the case and would explain why the Jets did something as aggressive as signing Lazard. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Nothing right now.

At a certain point?  The ability to have cap space over the next two years.

With that roster, green bay won't be competitive for the next 2 years. Their best interest is to let Jlove make some mistakes to see what they have, whilst ascending to the top of the draft order. 

They don't need cap space to achieve this. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Look, at the end of the day, Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh aren’t gutting this team of resources based on “fan vibes” creating “pressure.”  Woody Johnson isn’t going to fire them because the Packers, seemingly, decided to change their demands.  The sooner the media and Packers fans get the idea that they would, out of their heads, the sooner we can all get to having rational discussions about this, without all of the panic.

Honestly, I see this playing out 3 possible ways:

• The Packers stay stubborn beyond reason, the Jets cut their losses, eventually pull out of negotiations, pivot to someone like Tannehill or Stafford for a year, and address the long-term situation again next year.  Rodgers, who is already, very clearly, pissed off at GB’s FO, either retires before June 1st, or stays on the roster, screwing the Packers’ cap for 2 years, crippling their ability to build around Love, or possibly even retain him, if he plays well.  This would be the worst case scenario for both teams.

• The Packers and Jets reach an agreement that is fair for both sides, with the Jets eating more money than they originally anticipated.  OR, say the current offer is a 2nd this year and a conditional 3rd, that can become a 1st next year + a player like Corey Davis?  I could see them also upping the compensatory pick from a 3rd to a 2nd, with different parameters to make it a 1st, to get this across the finish line.

• The Packers include another player (Bakhtiari), eat most of the contract, and get 13 (I see this as the least likely scenario to play out.)

I don't think Bakhtiari is tradable -- didn't he just restructure this past week with a new $15MM signing bonus check? His remaining pay for this year is just under $2MM so there's not much for the Jets to eat.

They'd have to absorb ~$40MM in dead cap for him in addition to the $40MM dead cap for Rodgers.

They want Bakhtiari blocking Love's blindside. 

Corey Davis is an interesting throw-in. They get a veteran WR replacement for Lazard, who's fine when healthy, then they'd be in line to gain a comp pick if they let him go to FA after 1 season. His $ isn't terrible, plus they could always still cut him before the season if they feel they don't need him because it's not guaranteed. I don't know that they're looking to take on another $10MM base salary, though, and the only way to lessen it (outside of him agreeing to a pay cut) is to extend him past this season.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, win4ever said:

I got it from Andrew Brandt's tweet, how it can only be exercised on the 17th, and that it might lead to some restructuring.  

It can be exercises from 3/17 till week 1. It does not impact the cap till it is exercised

3 minutes ago, WisconsinJetsFan said:

I just find it hard to believe this standoff lasts more than a week. The Packers don’t want this guy around anymore and they aren’t going to deal with the optics of holding Aaron Rodgers hostage. I am sure the two teams will agree on fair compensation. 

Well yeah because Packers will end up realizing the reality if Rodgers doesn't retire for Green Bay like they are assuming. And they will get nothing and a larger cap hit in 2024...

Aaron I think is just waiting to reveal this as the media dies down a little from fatigue of waiting.

22 minutes ago, Flightattendant said:

With that roster, green bay won't be competitive for the next 2 years. Their best interest is to let Jlove make some mistakes to see what they have, whilst ascending to the top of the draft order. 

They don't need cap space to achieve this. 

Yes, I’m sure Green Bay is chomping at the bit to sabotage the development of the team, along with the development of the QB they’re dumping Aaron Rodgers for, who they spent a first round pick on.

You do realize they need to make a decision on Jordan love right?  This isn’t a scenario where they get to let him play 3-5 years before doing so.

• Upvote 1