Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

5 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Waking up to the fact that Rodgers is the one with the gun

Exactly. GB fans think they have all the leverage. Media saying they do as well.

The one with leverage now is AR. You don’t want to trade me asap? I’ll play for you guys then. And that’s exactly what GB doesn’t want. And you also better give me all the starting reps in OTAs as well.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Zero doubt in my mind Connor is lurking here

So Wingo said the 1 inch line and this would appear to confirm.

Let's see how long it takes Schefter, Rappaport, Russini and the others to say the whole thing is falling apart.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

From your sources, is there a feeling in the building that a 1 year rental is acceptable?  I get they cant control Rodgers decision making but to do all this just to simply give Rodgers a swan song ending, seems, yikes. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You’ve been on this for a while.

I don’t think a 2nd this year is necessary. I just posted in a different thread that I believe the packers have to move him before the draft. Maybe you can have a look and tell me what I'm missing or what's wrong with my logic, because to me it seems very straightforward but the media seems to be saying something completely different (edit to add a link to that post if you're so inclined to take a look). 

I like the idea of a fourth this year, and a fourth next year, and a conditional 3rd in 2025 that escalates to 2nd if he plays 80% snaps in 2024 and a 1st if Jets win 2024 SB. Is that even a possibility that anyone would entertain?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

From your sources, is there a feeling in the building that a 1 year rental is acceptable?  I get they cant control Rodgers decision making but to do all this just to simply give Rodgers a swan song ending, seems, yikes. 

Good question 

Didn't Rodgers say on Wednesday that the Jets asked him for a 2 year commitment?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

Funny seeing these beats now riding Wingo's coattails as if they have some kind of scoop.. LOOOSERRRS

Actually that dude is legit.  Was in packers FO for years and part of team that drafted Rodgers.  He'd have a better idea than most what pack thinking. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Good question 

Didn't Rodgers say on Wednesday that the Jets asked him for a 2 year commitment?

I dont recall that from the conversation but I wasnt really paying attention, kind of on in the background, so you might be right, I would sure hope so.

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

Idk, a 1 Year rental with Rodgers doesn't seem that bad. I guess for a 2, 4, and 3...seems a little steep but F it. Give it a go. Rather they take a shot then playing the season with Mayfield or whoever.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Flightattendant said:

A lot has changed into he league in the last 16 years. It would be ignorant to think that the compensation for farve wouldn't have changed with it. 

sure perhaps it would change but the AR cost is such a bad contract.  Farve was taking up 10% of the cap the year we were there.  AR will take up 20% of the cap each year  (well, it would be spread out but the average cost is 20% in the years he's playing).

one could argue that the compensation should be less given the terrible contract but JD is being nice.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Idk, a 1 Year rental with Rodgers doesn't seem that bad. I guess for a 2, 4, and 3...seems a little steep but F it. Give it a go. Rather they take a shot then playing the season with Mayfield or whoever.

Is it?  Idk.  This is why I'd be in the Lamar sweepstakes but I digress.  Beggars cant be choosers I guess but if that's the plan and it backfires for some reason, oh man...what a cluster this place becomes.  And if that's the plan they need to trade Zach for any thing you can get, sign Brissett to a 2 year deal and go get Anthony Richardson or whoever you like in the draft because I dont love any plan that has the Jets back on the QB market next year and/or going back to Zach. 

Unless ofcourse it results in a Super Bowl, then it's brilliant and I never questioned it.

7 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Has no bearing on the present but I found it interesting...  On a podcast in August 2022 right before last season, Rodgers said he was thinking about retirement (6:45 mark in video), but probably not for another 3 or 4 years.  He most likely pictured this due to his contract and coming off of 2 consecutive MVPs.

Things were looking good, I think last season was really demoralizing for him between his injured thumb, not playing up to his standards and the team just sucking overall & missing the playoffs.  If he gets through a season with the Jets relatively injury free, they have some sort of postseason success and his contract is settled, I would think he'd return for a 2nd season despite recently being "90% retired".

Maybe a big part of the reason he’s been thinking of retiring is b/c he’s sick of the packers and wanted a fresh start.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'm not sure what your thought process is, we offer a 3rd and that is it.  The deal does not get done.  The packers get stuck trying to do something else.  The jets do not get a QB and there are no other viable ones.  On top of it we have pretty well promised Rodgers we are trading for him and now the jets are a major clown show.

If the Jets go into next season with a jag like mariotta and zac wilson it is an unmitigated disaster.  By not having or acting on a viable plan B we are married to plan A, Rodgers and the packers know it.

Both teams need to get he deal done and it will get done, the jets and rodgers gave the packers a gift by having no other option.

how is not getting fleeced on a trade a "major clown show"?

i would not want you on my negotiating team :-)

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Is it?  Idk.  This is why I'd be in the Lamar sweepstakes but I digress.  Beggars cant be choosers I guess but if that's the plan and it backfires for some reason, oh man...what a cluster this place becomes.  And if that's the plan they need to trade Zach for any thing you can get, sign Brissett to a 2 year deal and go get Anthony Richardson or whoever you like in the draft because I dont love any plan that has the Jets back on the QB market next year and/or going back to Zach. 

Unless ofcourse it results in a Super Bowl, then it's brilliant and I never questioned it.

I mean yeah, I would've been in on Lamar too. But outside of him, I think this is the best option. You go for it all.

I really don't see this failing like RW in Denver. Only way I see this backfiring, would be injuries. I don't think his play has fell off a cliff and he's gonna throw 15 TDs and 18 INTs. Offensive system is aligned with Hackett. 

I do agree they need to draft a QB in April. You can't rely on Zach being the guy next year.

Any other plan outside of Carr and obv trading for Lamar, was going to be a short term rental. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I mean yeah, I would've been in on Lamar too. But outside of him, I think this is the best option. You go for it all.

I really don't see this failing like RW in Denver. Only way I see this backfiring, would be injuries. I don't think his play has fell off a cliff and he's gonna throw 15 TDs and 18 INTs. Offensive system is aligned with Hackett. 

I do agree they need to draft a QB in April. You can't rely on Zach being the guy next year.

Any other plan outside of Carr and obv trading for Lamar, was going to be a short term rental. 

Rogerstolazard48, on second thought maybe not… the name seems to be bad luck…?

5 hours ago, Flightattendant said:

The team doesn't need to be competitive to see what they have in Jlove. Watson and their RB room combined with a half decent Oline is enough to see if Jlove has the juice. 

They don't "need" cap space for this. 

But they do have to exercise the 5th year option for Love soon!

IMO GB can't have almost $90 Million plus in two QBs should Rogers say "I'm coming to camp."  Now they could say we want you to stay at home but $60 Million to do that is asinine.