Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Or, he’ll appreciate a front office valuing its first round picks with the intent to use them to improve the team now rather than select a backup for their HOF QB.

You mean like the Packers did when Rodgers was sliding down the draft board and they had Bret Favre.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Rodgers has a trump card in this situation if he felt like playing it. He could go to the packers and say trade me by the draft or I will refuse a trade to any team and I won't retire either. Green Bay DOES NOT want that to happen. 

Jets also have a move they could attempt (they would have to let Rodgers know they aren't moving on from wanting him first though). That would be to bring in Lamar Jackson and then even let potential contract offers for him leak into the media. Green Bay could get spooked by this and lower their demands to get a trade done. 

50 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This.

Rodgers can make this thing move faster. He can say if you don't trade me by "x" date.... I'm playing for you guys. And if you try and trade me to another team besides the Jets post that date. I will retire and collect that money you would still owe me. So it's in GBs best interest than to trade him to us before that date. Because they don't want him playing for them. Bc that doesn't allow them to see what Love has, as well as that they don't want to pay him the remainder of that money he's owed this year. Obviously they don't want to pay him to retire when they can pay him less and get draft capital the other way. If they'd did this. Quite frankly they deserve to lose their franchise with how idiotic and stubborn that would be.

At that point whatever our offer is is better than getting nothing AND having to pay Rodgers to either play for them or to be retired.

Green Bay to Aaron: 

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

The Packers hold all the leverage until they don't.   The final deadline is the start of the season.   If I were the Jets I'd make the final deadline the start of the draft.   That removes the leverage GB holds...   The question is: Can the Jets regime survive having bad quarterback play again and missing the playoffs because they couldn't move this deal across the finish line....    Can the Packers regime survive a ruined cap the next few years because they couldn't move this deal across the finish line....   Just move the date up so this doesn't become a story line for either team when we should be talking about football this summer.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

There's a chance GB told us to keep the 2023 draft picks and wait until June 1st because they value the cap flexibility more. At which point maybe the trade is for a higher conditional pick in 2024, a conditional pick in 2025 if he plays again, and Corey Davis. 

There's also a chance GB wants all its compensation to be in 2024 as ammo to move up in the draft in case Love isn't the guy they thought he was.

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Out of respect / deference to Brady, even scummy Bob Kraft let him walk to Tampa for nothing.

But because the Packers don’t have an owner, nothing short of a fan revolt against Murphy (and the board threatening to remove him) would cause him to fold.

And the good people of Wisconsin are too polite for that sort of thing, I guess.

Murphy is going to drag this thing out to the bitter end.

Brady also had a great relationship with Kraft...   Just saying, maybe the Packers brass are taking this as a business move because they don't feel like giving any gifts to the guy that crapped on them the last few years

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Rodgers retires or stays with the Packers, they have to get Rodgers to agree to a restructure in either case, which, good luck if they think Rodgers is going to do them any favors after they effectively block this trade. Retirement results in. $40 mil cap charge this year. Keeping Rodgers as a backup results in a $60 mil cash payment plus his massive cap charges moving forward. 

My point was, the days of Rodgers bullying the GB front office see to be over. I don’t think they’re going to be swayed by his demands the way a lot of Jet fans seem to think. If they were this would’ve been done.

Yeah, his contract is unwieldy, but I think it’s only a 15mill cap hit for them in ‘23? We will have cap issues of our own if we acquire him.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Rodgers retires or stays with the Packers, they have to get Rodgers to agree to a restructure in either case, which, good luck if they think Rodgers is going to do them any favors after they effectively block this trade. Retirement results in. $40 mil cap charge this year. Keeping Rodgers as a backup results in a $60 mil cash payment plus his massive cap charges moving forward. 

Actually Rodgers cap hit would be a few mil lower this year than if he was traded prior to June 1.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, ptisme said:

The Packers hold all the leverage until they don't.   The final deadline is the start of the season.   If I were the Jets I'd make the final deadline the start of the draft.   That removes the leverage GB holds...   The question is: Can the Jets regime survive having bad quarterback play again and missing the playoffs because they couldn't move this deal across the finish line....    Can the Packers regime survive a ruined cap the next few years because they couldn't move this deal across the finish line....   Just move the date up so this doesn't become a story line for either team when we should be talking about football this summer.

Game 1 Zach starting Jets move the ball 83 yards in 60 minutes in a 10 3 loss where the D is on the field all day.    

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

You mean like the Packers did when Rodgers was sliding down the draft board and they had Bret Favre.

Please. The Packers went 10-6 in both 2003 and 2004 winning the NFC North in both seasons and losing in the divisional round in OT in 2003 and the wildcard round in 2004. Then they lost both starting G's in Free Agency. Instead of taking Logan Mankins (G) at pick 24, or trading back for volume, they picked Rodgers with no succession plan. Their record in 2004 with Rodgers on the bench was 4-12 and the entire coaching staff was fired for the front office's sin of not maximizing the value of the 24th pick to win now when they had a win now team. In 2006 they were 8-8 and then in 2007 they were 13-3 losing in OT in the conference championship game. Their decision to pick Rodgers in 2005 cost them their chance to win another SB with Favre under center in 2005 and 2006. And please... no one knew Rodgers would become a HOF QB when they picked him, that's why he fell to 24 and took 3 years to win the Job --- only after they removed Favre from the equation. 

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

My point was, the days of Rodgers bullying the GB front office see to be over. I don’t think they’re going to be swayed by his demands the way a lot of Jet fans seem to think. If they were this would’ve been done.

Yeah, his contract is unwieldy, but I think it’s only a 15mill cap hit for them in ‘23? We will have cap issues of our own if we acquire him.

For the Packers, it’d be $16mm cap, the $59mm option bonus, the $20mm they have to give Jordan Love, and then trying to trade him again next offseason and take another cap beatdown. It’s not about Rodgers bullying them; it’s about needing a pissed off Rodgers to renegotiate to take them off the hook of a bad contract. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/17/2023 at 6:36 PM, Ron Rico said:

Unless you are majoring in Engineering/Chemistry/Math/Hard Sciences, College is a joke and everyone knows it. Everything is graded by scale, if it wasn't 50% of the class would fail every semester. I didn't go to an IVY league school like Yale, but I doubt it's any different. I've seen the mouth breathers with degrees from Harvard.

i live 5 minutes from yale. you are not wrong

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

For the Packers, it’d be $16mm cap, the $59mm option bonus, the $20mm they have to give Jordan Love, and then trying to trade him again next offseason and take another cap beatdown. It’s not about Rodgers bullying them; it’s about needing a pissed off Rodgers to renegotiate to take them off the hook of a bad contract. 

I understand the ramifications, but both sides face some here. 
I just don’t think the Packers are as concerned as we like to think they are. If they want to move him, they will eventually.
Rodgers isn’t retiring, and they don’t have to give Love the 20 mil this year, do they?

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

What the GB office wants is irrelevant.  Their "feelings" cant get around contract legalities.  Let's see how they feel about holding out to fleece the Jets when Rodgers shows up in GB for OTA's.  

At the same time, the Jets can show ZW in practice throwing the ball all over the field to Lazard, Wilson, Moore, Davis.

And we know that Rodgers is one of the few that can get by without having a camp.  He knows more offense than most OCs do and he'll be back in a system that he knows.

GB has NOTHING but a headache as leverage.

If I was JD, I would continue from this point on as if the Rodgers deal was dead and ZW was my QB

Remember, Rodgers wants to play for the Jets.  He can flat out refuse to play for any other team by retiring and leaving GB with no extra drat picks and a $40mm bill.

Hey, Joe D.  Let GB come begging for the Jets to give them a 7th round pick before week one happens.

GB has NOTHING.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s highly doubtful that the Jets will draft a QB this year and, if Rodgers wants to stick around for two, then another year will pass without drafting a QB. Why? Because bringing Rodgers in gives them a one or two year window to win it all and they’re going to load up around him - not behind him. No one is seriously thinking about a smooth transition to the next QB when they haven’t had one in a dozen years. They will simply want to maximize their opportunity with this one. They won’t be dropping a high pick on a backup, they need horses now. 

Zach is under contract relatively inexpensively at this point. He’s only due another $9M over the next two years. The bonus money hits their cap regardless, so they’re going to either try to rehab him all the way into being their next starter or just enough that JD can get more than a bag of magic beans for him. 

Who said high round draft pick?

This year, I'd take a QB in the 5th round.

Round 1:  Center or OT

Round 3:  OT or Center (assumes we give up 2nd round pick)

Round 4:  Linebacker (Mosley's 2024 replacement; assumption is Jets sign a stop gap vet like Calais Campbell at DT)

Round 5:  Developmental QB

Round 6:  DT depth (replace Shepherd)

Undrafted:  Kick returner / slot (replace Berrios)

Safety:  Jets keep Whitehead and run with a rotation of Whitehead/Clark/Adams

In 2024, you base a QB selection on Zach & 2023 fifth rounder's development.  But a balanced approach is to keep drafting until you feel comfortable you are developing at least a good (average QB) so they can transition post Rodgers at a time his dead cap hit will prevent from getting a good veteran QB.  They'll instead need dollars to resign/extend the young bucks on their roster.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s highly doubtful that the Jets will draft a QB this year and, if Rodgers wants to stick around for two, then another year will pass without drafting a QB. Why? Because bringing Rodgers in gives them a one or two year window to win it all and they’re going to load up around him - not behind him. No one is seriously thinking about a smooth transition to the next QB when they haven’t had one in a dozen years. They will simply want to maximize their opportunity with this one. They won’t be dropping a high pick on a backup, they need horses now. 

Zach is under contract relatively inexpensively at this point. He’s only due another $9M over the next two years. The bonus money hits their cap regardless, so they’re going to either try to rehab him all the way into being their next starter or just enough that JD can get more than a bag of magic beans for him. 

Yup. All of this. OL, DL & LB early in the draft. Wouldnt be surprised if we trade for a WR. (Hopefully for one from Ari)

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

What the GB office wants is irrelevant.  Their "feelings" cant get around contract legalities.  Let's see how they feel about holding out to fleece the Jets when Rodgers shows up in GB for OTA's.  

At the same time, the Jets can show ZW in practice throwing the ball all over the field to Lazard, Wilson, Moore, Davis.

And we know that Rodgers is one of the few that can get by without having a camp.  He knows more offense than most OCs do and he'll be back in a system that he knows.

GB has NOTHING but a headache as leverage.

If I was JD, I would continue from this point on as if the Rodgers deal was dead and ZW was my QB

Remember, Rodgers wants to play for the Jets.  He can flat out refuse to play for any other team by retiring and leaving GB with no extra drat picks and a $40mm bill.

Hey, Joe D.  Let GB come begging for the Jets to give them a 7th round pick before week one happens.

GB has NOTHING.  

They have Rodgers. We have Zach Wilson.

Advantage Green Bay.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

The Jets deadline to both Rodgers and the Packers should have been weeks and weeks ago when other options were actually still on the table.

A deal should come together as both teams have far too much to lose for it not to happen.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

lol remember when this would definitely be wrapped up before free agency started

I won’t be too concerned about the delay until we get to the OTAs that Rodgers might’ve been willing to attend. At this point, the delay means JD is not budging on his offer. That’s a good thing, even if it’s quiet and disturbs impatient people. 

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

The Packers don’t have any real leverage because in the end they absolutely have to trade Rodgers before the next $59M hits their books. They can’t cut him, it has to be a trade, otherwise their cap takes a massive two-three year hit. They have no other choice or other suitors. 

Can they hope that after the draft maybe another team will get in? Maybe one that missed on the QB they wanted? Seems like a long-shot. And at some point, Douglas will begin to lower his offer because if Rodgers isn’t in the building, he’s not preparing with the team, so the team is less likely to win more games, thus making the ‘24 compensation effectively higher. It’s possible that JD has already put that out there, that he wants this done by the OTAs, which would seem like a reasonable deadline. I still think the Packers would prefer to get it done before the draft, and get some draft compensation this year. This whole thing could just be for appearance’s sake, trying to look like they drove a hard bargain with their fans before they ultimately have to accept whatever JD’s willing to give them. 

• Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Please. The Packers went 10-6 in both 2003 and 2004 winning the NFC North in both seasons and losing in the divisional round in OT in 2003 and the wildcard round in 2004. Then they lost both starting G's in Free Agency. Instead of taking Logan Mankins (G) at pick 24, or trading back for volume, they picked Rodgers with no succession plan. Their record in 2004 with Rodgers on the bench was 4-12 and the entire coaching staff was fired for the front office's sin of not maximizing the value of the 24th pick to win now when they had a win now team. In 2006 they were 8-8 and then in 2007 they were 13-3 losing in OT in the conference championship game. Their decision to pick Rodgers in 2005 cost them their chance to win another SB with Favre under center in 2005 and 2006. And please... no one knew Rodgers would become a HOF QB when they picked him, that's why he fell to 24 and took 3 years to win the Job --- only after they removed Favre from the equation. 

They lost that NFCCG because Favre was old and cold.   Average QB play that game would have had us in the SB.    Favre was threatening retirement every year and they had a chance to draft arguably the top quarterback in the draft near the end of the first round.   Only an idiot would have taken a guard over a blue chip quarterback prospect 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mid round QB.  This is the way!

LOL at your signature.

What’s the percentage of mid-round QBs who hit? Like, are even good backups? Easily single digits. You already have a #2 overall on the roster, and you’re gonna take a fifth rounder to “compete?” No, they’re not gonna do that, nor should they. If they’re that concerned about the backup job, they’ll bring in a journeyman to hold the fort there for a year or two and use their picks to build the team. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1