Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

Just now, bitonti said:

Imagine Jordan love tears his knee up in offseason workouts, trey Lance style 

It is possible 

All of a sudden the Jets have zero leverage

The idea that this team is one player away is flawed and the idea that the Jets hold all the cards is just wishful thinking 

End of the day they have 2 viable options

The Jets have Zach. That's why the Jets have no leverage to close this deal on the cheap. Because jd screwed up the qb room so badly. They put all their hopes on Aaron Rodgers and the Packers know this 

To that point (and I hadn’t considered that scenario) the Packers signed Rodgers last year and have committed that cap to him.   But then something changed this year (two things actually)

1. The team as a whole (I mean everyone) underperformed and the SB window closed

2. The game slowed down for Jordan Love and he’s shown enough promise that they want to see what he can do.   Love would have demanded a trade rather than sit on the bench again this year.   But if he’s out for the year I could see GB taking one more crack at this with a weak NFC

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

The “acting like a New Yorker,” bit is cheese, I posted it as a daily reminder that the Jets hold the cards in this negotiation -as Florio clearly states- no matter how much the Packers want to pretend otherwise. I don’t agree about training camp as a deadline, and have been saying all along that I expect it to get done no later than during the draft. That’s a big line for the Packers. If they want to keep playing games, they get no 2023 draft pick. Simple as that. 

But this isn’t a pickle, lol, I doubt that there’s anything Douglas could do to get it done sooner other than to give them more, and I’m very happy that he’s holding firm. I’d like it done by OTAs but, as you imply, there’s no guarantee he’ll show up, anyway. There’s no rush to get it done outside of fan impatience, and **** that, who cares? 

All these articles and posts about what Joe Douglas should be doing are useless being that no one knows where they’re at. Everyone involved knows the implications of dragging it past the draft, or the opening of training camp, or the league’s opening day. I’m highly confident that it’s been discussed between the parties, and believe that it’s extremely likely that JD has already issued some terms with one of them being to tell the Packers to shut the **** up in the media about it, which they’ve done. 

Bottom line -just like yesterday, or the day before- it’s a done deal, it’s just a matter of when. 

Again assuming it’s GB being unreasonable.   We don’t know that’s the case

17 minutes ago, ptisme said:

You didn't even read your own article. 

Clown. 

Nowhere in there does it say a single word about AR being the cog that's holding it up nor does it mention money being the factor that's causing HIM to hold it up. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Joe D has never lost a trade where he's liquidating assets 

He's never won a trade where he's acquiring them

Joe Flacco, James Robinson these were bad trades by any measure 

He lost the Leonard Williams trade. That was an example of a trade he lost liquidating assets

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Again assuming it’s GB being unreasonable.   We don’t know that’s the case

It could definitely be the Jets driving the hard bargain, but they should be; they hold the cards. The Packers have to move him, the Jets want him. If the Jets miss here, they keep their picks and their cap dollars and they move on. If the Jets called the Rams today, they’d have Stafford on a plane tonight. Five QBs will probably go in the first round this year, and another mini QB carousel will start spinning. 

• Upvote 3

It could definitely be the Jets driving the hard bargain, but they should be; they hold the cards. The Packers have to move him, the Jets want him. If the Jets miss here, they keep their picks and their cap dollars and they move on. If the Jets called the Rams today, they’d have Stafford on a plane tonight. Five QBs will probably go in the first round this year, and another mini QB carousel will start spinning. 

Yeah, I'm not stressed about losing out on Rodgers. Packers acting like we ain't used to losing. Threaten us with a bad QB? Ha! That's all we've had for decades!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

You didn't even read your own article. 

Clown. 

Nowhere in there does it say a single word about AR being the cog that's holding it up nor does it mention money being the factor that's causing HIM to hold it up. 

Clown.  Nice.   Ur a fine human   I was referring to money in general as I contend it’s not draft compensation holding this up

Which begs the question.  Why are we making a 1 year run with Rodgers if it isn't to save Douglas and Saleh's jobs.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Nobody has made more money over the years than Rodgers.   All those years Brady was taking less and winning SBs we were coming up just short and he was getting PAID

He went bat sh*t when the Packers picked Love.  He also ignores that when he was crying sitting in the draft room the Packers stopped the slide when they had Favre.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Clown.  Nice.   Ur a fine human   I was referring to money in general as I contend it’s not draft compensation holding this up

Well that's not at all what I was talking about.

7 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Because if you can get Rodgers for like a 3rd rounder or some sh*t, why not

They would make the deal for a 4 today for a deal that goes through after June 1.  There's money and cap involved for both sides and there's Rodgers who likely wants more guaranteed money in a renegiotated deal. 

11 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Damn Simms and Florio on ??? today, totally destroying the packers ??

So we like them today?

Good for them. They’re not media hacks out to get us like the guys who come off pro-GB? ( until tomorrow when Simms doubles down on Zach… then we hate them again, right?

22 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Which begs the question.  Why are we making a 1 year run with Rodgers if it isn't to save Douglas and Saleh's jobs.  

It’s my opinion that they see him as the best option right now because the team might be very good, but the QBs have not been. They have a couple year window with some top talent on rookie deals and they want to open that window wider while not handcuffing what they can do at the position two years from now, and the former MVP gives them a better chance to do that than anyone that was/is available, including Carr and Jackson. 

I don’t know how much hope they’re holding out for Zach, but I suspect it’s more than zero. If/when he doesn’t work out, I imagine they’ll want another go at a draft pick. Obviously putting up a playoff year or two in the meantime helps their position to do that and, as a JD fan, I’m in favor of them figuring out how to keep their jobs. The change I’m looking for in this damn organization is some continuity. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

He lost the Leonard Williams trade. That was an example of a trade he lost liquidating assets

JD is exceptional at getting people to believe JD is exceptional 

his actual results are random. One year he's drafting Sauce the year before he's drafting Zach 

he's a random number generator 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s my opinion that they see him as the best option right now because the team might be very good, but the QBs have not been. They have a couple year window with some top talent on rookie deals and they want to open that window wider while not handcuffing what they can do at the position two years from now, and the former MVP gives them a better chance to do that than anyone that was/is available, including Carr and Jackson. 

I don’t know how much hope they’re holding out for Zach, but I suspect it’s more than zero. If/when he doesn’t work out, I imagine they’ll want another go at a draft pick. Obviously putting up a playoff year or two in the meantime helps their position to do that and, as a JD fan, I’m in favor of them figuring out how to keep their jobs. The change I’m looking for in this damn organization is some continuity. 

I would much prefer JD had more rope and brought in a mediocre vet and drafted a QB this year or next.  Rodgers is going to be one and done and cost cap space after he's gone.  

I think Saleh needs to go and if having a 1 year sneak into the playoffs with Rodgers and he leaves it keeps Saleh around as part of the decision and development of the next drafted QB.  I think that had a lot to do with drafting Zach and actually playing him when he wasn't ready. 

I'm pretty down on Saleh as a legit HC in the NFL.  Douglas I think has shown basic competence and is worth keeping around for another shot with a rookie QB. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, ptisme said:

To that point (and I hadn’t considered that scenario) the Packers signed Rodgers last year and have committed that cap to him.   But then something changed this year (two things actually)

1. The team as a whole (I mean everyone) underperformed and the SB window closed

2. The game slowed down for Jordan Love and he’s shown enough promise that they want to see what he can do.   Love would have demanded a trade rather than sit on the bench again this year.   But if he’s out for the year I could see GB taking one more crack at this with a weak NFC

I think what a lot of people are falling to address, rodgers and Green Bay have been a top seed in playoffs many times, only 1 ring. I think Green Bay feels “ well we know we are good enough to get to the playoffs, but rodgers hasn’t really come up for us in playoffs since 2010? If he had half the rings as Brady, they wouldn’t be pushing him out the door for love. I’m all for trading for Rodgers, and if we made it to two afcc games with mark fing sanchez, our D can really help him too. But GB shouldn’t be asking for the moon when the guy really hasn’t impressed in playoffs. Had he had that proven  rep, jets would be glad to give a 1st even for a yr try.

On 3/21/2023 at 4:08 AM, Warfish said:

JMO folks still living in a fantasy world where the Jets give up two 1sts and the largest contract in NFL history to get Jackson, really should give up on that thought. It’s not a thing JD would ever do.

I am one of the biggest skeptics of trading for Jackson but let's think about it.

Say that Brandt is right and GB has all the leverage and will eventually get pick 13 from us. (I doubt it but it's possible)

In that case it is really not a stretch to say that 2 1s for a 26 year old former MVP trumps a single #1 for a 40 year old Rodgers.

Now in reality, the injury concerns are huge. But say we gave him 5 years $250 million with $181 million guaranteed (the average of the Top 5 guarantees including Watson) and then compare that to essentially 1 year likely from Rodgers. Rodgers over 3 years costs $75 million so you would essentially get depending on the structure say 3 years of Lamar with $150 million guaranteed ($17 million more than the Baltimore offer) or 2 additional years of Lamar at $37.5 million and an additional #1

I do not personally think he will ever play at his MVP form or even close but if he did doing that could make sense.

Problem is that a structure like that would also be matched by Baltimore. The Jets do not really have a cap situation that could actually get him

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Joe D has never lost a trade where he's liquidating assets 

He's never won a trade where he's acquiring them

Joe Flacco, James Robinson these were bad trades by any measure 

really?

how exactly did the jets wind up with AVT and breece hall?

both were on the clock trades to acquire an asset.  i could care less what players were drafted with the picks traded away.  these are two studs joe d traded for

Just now, jetblue95 said:

really?

how exactly did the jets wind up with AVT and breece hall?

both were on the clock trades to acquire an asset.  i could care less what players were drafted with the picks traded away.  these are two studs joe d traded for

They didn't trade for AVT. They traded up to draft AVT 

by the way both guys ended the year on season ending IR not exactly a stellar showing to point to and say "hey what about that" 

14 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

So we like them today?

Good for them. They’re not media hacks out to get us like the guys who come off pro-GB? ( until tomorrow when Simms doubles down on Zach… then we hate them again, right?

Yeah I know hold my feet to the fire for agreeing with a opinion 

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am one of the biggest skeptics of trading for Jackson but let's think about it.

Say that Brandt is right and GB has all the leverage and will eventually get pick 13 from us. (I doubt it but it's possible)

In that case it is really not a stretch to say that 2 1s for a 26 year old former MVP trumps a single #1 for a 40 year old Rodgers.

Now in reality, the injury concerns are huge. But say we gave him 5 years $250 million with $181 million guaranteed (the average of the Top 5 guarantees including Watson) and then compare that to essentially 1 year likely from Rodgers. Rodgers over 3 years costs $75 million so you would essentially get depending on the structure say 3 years of Lamar with $150 million guaranteed ($17 million more than the Baltimore offer) or 2 additional years of Lamar at $37.5 million and an additional #1

I do not personally think he will ever play at his MVP form or even close but if he did doing that could make sense.

Problem is that a structure like that would also be matched by Baltimore. The Jets do not really have a cap situation that could actually get him

Would Baltimore match?  They have continued to lowball him.  The deal you described is the right number for both sides. 

I don't think they want to pay him fair value and if they can get 2 ones are ready to move on.  The question is could you make a deal with Baltimore for less than 2 ones and make that deal with Lamar?

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They didn't trade for AVT. They traded up to draft AVT 

by the way both guys ended the year on season ending IR not exactly a stellar showing to point to and say "hey what about that" 

are you really going to play the semantics game that they traded up for a draft pick and not an actual player???

i mean you previously said they clearly lost the james robinson trade.  well what exactly did they trade for james robinson?  at this point, no one knows.  they gave up some future 6th round pick for him.  they also gave up a future 6th round pick for flacco.  big whoop.

the jets made an on-the-clock trade with the vikings to draft AVT.  period.  you want to bemoan the loss of the #23 pick and two 3rd rounders, fine.  but it was clear that joe d traded to add AVT to the jets.

yes, injuries happen.  it's part of the game.   

then again, complaining seems to be your only game....

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The time to act like New Yorkers has passed.  If the Jets had acted like New Yorkers at the start of the process we would not be in this pickle.

Also all this talk of 'oh it's fine for the deal to get done as long as it is just before camp, Aaron knows the play book he can just show up and we are good to go!'   Is totally faulty thinking.

One of the big reasons listed for Green Bays bad start to the season last year was Rodgers not being familiar with his new receivers.

With the amount of money, time and resources invested him him he needs to be here for all off season workouts and if he skips voluntary workouts it will say a lot about his true commitment to winning.

So you would rather give GB our 1st round pick and get him in now than wait perhaps until late April (before they have to guarantee this year's $60M salary) and save the pick.  For what?  So you can point fingers?  This is a negotiation and it takes two parties to close a deal, not one caving because fans on a message board are unhappy.  Whatever we all think, we can't control the situation so let's just enjoy the spring weather and celebrate if and when it happens.  Rodgers showing up in June is still better than him not showing up at all...by a mile.

Oh, and GB went 3-1 to start last season.  It was only after the Giants and Jets beat them that the wheels came off (along with Rodgers' thumb).  So I don't think the 'new WRs' thing is really a thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

On 3/21/2023 at 9:53 AM, football guy said:

My apologies. It's been a long weekend and there have been multiple people tagging me for ridiculous reasons, and confuse who is saying what

Here is what is going on: 

• Jets and Packers pretty much agreed on the basic compensation: 2nd + conditional + a player for Rodgers. Jets want the Packers to take on more money + send an additional Day 3 pick whereas the Packers want the Jets to take on more money otherwise send more compensation. 
  • If/when Rodgers is traded, the Packers lose an additional $8.7 million and would be on their books for $40.3 million in 2023 instead of $31.6 million if he's on the roster. The Jets wanted them to take on more money by restructuring his contract and converting some of the option bonus into a signing/roster bonus. My guess is the Jets would cave on this (if they haven't already), but would want a Day 3 pick thrown in. 
  • The Packers don't want to take on any more money in the Rodgers deal. In fact, they want the Jets to take on money for Corey Davis. The Jets can do that by converting $9.4 million into a guaranteed salary/bonus, in which case he would only be on the books for $1.1 million for the Packers. If not, the Packers want the Jets to add value to the deal, which the Jets think is BS since they had the basic parameters in place. The Jets feel its the Packers responsibility to renegotiate Davis contract, not theirs, but the Packers see it as a way to get a good player under contract for virtually nothing (and would seemingly "make up" for the $8.7 million additional loss they take on for trading Rodgers). 
  • There are also rumors that the Packers are playing hardball because they're annoyed with Rodgers and how he basically trashed them on the way out. Gutekunst never liked Rodgers but basically was forced into making nice with him, so this is his way of saying F u for all that you put me through. I don't know much from their perspective so hard to say whether that's real or not 

If there was a deadline to make a deal, they would figure it out. Right now there isn't any. My guess is it ultimately gets done at the owner's meeting next week. If not then, it can drag out until the draft until one or both sides cave. 

The Jets move here is to PUBLICLY remove themselves from the negotiation. Yes, you want to maintain good relations with other GMs but at the same time you just cannot roll over or other GMs will take advantage. The Jets need to literally stop negotiating and let GB know that their next offer will be less than what is on the table now. And then stop communicating.

If they do this, ALL the leverage goes to the Jets. And GB WILL call back probably sometime before the draft.

The Jets are the only safety balloon for the Packers. They need to use that.

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

yes, injuries happen.  it's part of the game.   

then again, complaining seems to be your only game....

Saying AVT and Breece Hall are JD victories is fine 

but let's talk about them, shall we? 

injuries are not pure luck, especially with Hall. RBs get injured in the NFL, that's why they don't really get drafted high anymore. 

and if we're talking AVT, the Jets traded up from the Spot where the Vikings took Christian Darrisaw. Darrisaw looks like a borderline Pro Bowl LT, while Avt is a borderline pro bowl guard/RT

they could have just stayed at 23 and taken the more valuable player 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Saying AVT and Breece Hall are JD victories is fine 

but let's talk about them, shall we? 

injuries are not pure luck, especially with Hall. RBs get injured in the NFL, that's why they don't really get drafted high anymore. 

and if we're talking AVT, the Jets traded up from the Spot where the Vikings took Christian Darrisaw. Darrisaw looks like a borderline Pro Bowl LT, while Avt is a borderline pro bowl guard/RT

they could have just stayed at 23 and taken the more valuable player 

Say you're right.

but why can't anything ever be a good thing for you? why are you so negative? finding negativity in AVT and Breece Hall is nuts. 

• Upvote 1