Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The Jets move here is to PUBLICLY remove themselves from the negotiation. Yes, you want to maintain good relations with other GMs but at the same time you just cannot roll over or other GMs will take advantage. The Jets need to literally stop negotiating and let GB know that their next offer will be less than what is on the table now. And then stop communicating.

If they do this, ALL the leverage goes to the Jets. And GB WILL call back probably sometime before the draft.

The Jets are the only safety balloon for the Packers. They need to use that.

I largely agree with what you say here, but allow for there being things we don't know that are impacting this as well. 

For example, at this point, it is probably critical to both sides that they save face once a deal is announced.  Neither GM is going to be keen on looking like he got taken to the woodshed.  So even if GB (or NYJ) moved the goal and now realizes they overplayed their hand, they are going to want something to soften the public perception of surrender.  

We also don't know if the holdup is over money/cap rather than picks/players.  

I think one of the biggest factors, possibly, in moving this along now is the performance of Love (or at least the public perception of such) in any football activities.  If he looks good, the pressure mounts on GB to make sure Rodgers does not come to camp.  If Love falters and/or looks downright bad (or gets injured), then the trade could evaporate in an instant.  That's a risk the Jets have to bear in mind.  

At the same time, what would happen if one of a few other AFC teams had a surprise injury to their starting QB.  Or what if DEN finds someone who wants to take Russ Wilson off their hands.  Would that open up a new suitor?  Not sure it would matter if Rodgers didn't want to go there, but nothing feels set in stone.

With knowledge limited to what is mostly nothing more than speculation and/or gaslighting from blue checks on Twitter, it's hard to have any firm opinions on this.  We're just stuck in waiting mode I guess.

7 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Say you're right.

but why can't anything ever be a good thing for you? why are you so negative? finding negativity in AVT and Breece Hall is nuts. 

it cuts both ways

they were so valuable that losing them screwed the season.

which is positive (they were good) and negative (they screwed our season when they got hurt).

like Parcells said "You are what your record says you are" the Jets are a last-place team in the AFC East for the last 3 years

ironically Gase's last year 2019 they were 3rd. Their "best result" for a while.  

I didn't make that up, that's what they are

this is a 311 page thread about how Rodgers trade will happen tomorrow

I don't think of myself as negative. I'm a realist

sure I'm a bummer in March but I'm the last a$$hole on the bandwagon in December. 

by the time the losing streaks happen, this annoying tone passes for polite concern

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

Clown.  Nice.   Ur a fine human   I was referring to money in general as I contend it’s not draft compensation holding this up

no most likely its draft compensation. and most likely it was the packers wanting pick 13 and the jets not wanting to give it to them

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Saying AVT and Breece Hall are JD victories is fine 

but let's talk about them, shall we? 

injuries are not pure luck, especially with Hall. RBs get injured in the NFL, that's why they don't really get drafted high anymore. 

and if we're talking AVT, the Jets traded up from the Spot where the Vikings took Christian Darrisaw. Darrisaw looks like a borderline Pro Bowl LT, while Avt is a borderline pro bowl guard/RT

they could have just stayed at 23 and taken the more valuable player 

ok, so you are mad the jets made a trade to get breece hall.  noted.

darrisaw also has injury concerns.  missed the start of his rookie year with injuries and missed 3 games (part of 5 total) last year with two separate concussions.

the point is you were not correct when you said JD stinks at acquiring assets.  the jets needed interior line help in the 2021 draft and moved up to acquire a premium talent (and how do you know the vikings wouldn't have drafted darrisaw at 16 if they didn't make the trade down with the jets?).  the jets then moved up in the 2022 to acquire the best RB in the draft.  these very much count as trading for players, your semantics notwithstanding.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Mogglez said:

FWIW, the last proposal I heard and posted here about a month or so ago, was a 2nd this year, a conditional 3rd that can go as high as a first based on postseason results, and Corey Davis.  What you’re saying about the money being the hang up lines up with everything I have been hearing since, and is why I have been steadfast in my belief that this gets done with the Jets eating more cash than they anticipated, or changing those conditional parameters to be performance based, so there is a better chance of the pick becoming a first round pick.

I literally see no reason for the Jets to be the one to move. In fact they should offer less each week. People just are not seeing how much of a doomsday scenario GB faces. The Jets are the only ones idiotic to give up draft capital for this guy if the Jets move on GB is in a franchise destroying situation. I think you could make an argument we should get Rodgers AND draft compensation to save them

• Upvote 1

Did some research on what conditions would equal pick wise with the said offer of....

2023 2nd (43rd) and a conditional pick in 2024 with the conditions I stated.

Conditions being 1st if we win the SB, 2nd if we make the AFCCG, 3rd if we make the playoffs, 4th if we miss the playoffs.

Our 2nd rounder this year has a value of 470 points.

A 1st next year if we win the Super Bowl is 600.

A 2nd is we make it to the AFCCG is between 290-300

A 3rd if we make the playoffs and obviously don't make it to the AFCCG is between 136-180.

So we win the SB that's the equivalent to the 14-15th pick in the draft.

We make it to the AFCCG that's the equivalent to the 22nd-23rd pick in the draft.

We make it just to the playoffs that's the equivalent to the 27th-31st pick.

So in every scenario outside of us missing the playoffs with that deal. GB is getting a 1st round value.

• Upvote 1

I can see why Gutenkunst and Murphy are despised by AR.

They don't do things aboveboard.

I think there was a deal in place with the Jets contingent on AR giving the greenlight.

Then AR went on McAfee and embarrassed them, so these old men in suits are reneging, trying to squeeze every last drop they can out of the Jets while keeping Rodgers in limbo.

Even scummy Bob Kraft had the decency to "do right by" Brady and let him walk for nothing. Brady then took his time to choose a team without constraint.
  • Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

Clown.  Nice.   Ur a fine human   I was referring to money in general as I contend it’s not draft compensation holding this up

Yep that's what we're hearing.  That's why I'm confident it will get done.  At some point, it's better for the NFL as a whole to have this completed.  The two teams will find a compromise point where both teams say ouch but are good with it.  I have faith that the jets will be able to manage their cap when its finalized and GB will be relieved of large chunk of that crazy contract.  Lets see how it goes at the owners' conference.  Unfortunately, this is not a very patient fan base you are dealing with.

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Saying AVT and Breece Hall are JD victories is fine 

but let's talk about them, shall we? 

injuries are not pure luck, especially with Hall. RBs get injured in the NFL, that's why they don't really get drafted high anymore. 

and if we're talking AVT, the Jets traded up from the Spot where the Vikings took Christian Darrisaw. Darrisaw looks like a borderline Pro Bowl LT, while Avt is a borderline pro bowl guard/RT

they could have just stayed at 23 and taken the more valuable player 

Breece had 700+ carries over 3 years in college with no injuries. Also, he was a 2nd rd pick and wasn't drafted high.

You're using benefit of hinds with regards to darrisaw. We had Becton (although we didn't know everything that would transpire over next couple years) and AVT was universally regarded as a more sure thing than darrisaw. JD took the sure thing and you gonna kill him for that? You can look back on any draft 3 years later and call any GM a dummy for not drafting the guy that turned out better/more valuable. 

Others are right, you're being ridiculous and negative.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Say you're right.

but why can't anything ever be a good thing for you? why are you so negative? finding negativity in AVT and Breece Hall is nuts. 

JD drafts a RB that looks like pure stud and he gets injured.  That's the NFL for you. The Mets lose arguably the best closer in baseball because of some freak incident.  I guess he would say it was bad to sign Diaz in the first place, right?  This stuff happens to ALL 32 NFL teams, not just the Jets as implied. Drafting Hall Sauce and G Wilson was stellar. Does it make up for whiffing on Zach? Everybody needs to decide that for themselves, but I like the direction JDs draft is taking us.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Jets just signed Hardmon...  An indication a receiver is in the deal with the Packers?   I mean they have to have a opening for Cobb right???

No.  Have to draw the line somewhere.

Lazard is enough.

Leave Elijah in the slot.  They are going to dump Corey Davis in the AR deal.

55 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So you would rather give GB our 1st round pick and get him in now than wait perhaps until late April (before they have to guarantee this year's $60M salary) and save the pick.  For what?  So you can point fingers?  This is a negotiation and it takes two parties to close a deal, not one caving because fans on a message board are unhappy.  Whatever we all think, we can't control the situation so let's just enjoy the spring weather and celebrate if and when it happens.  Rodgers showing up in June is still better than him not showing up at all...by a mile.

Oh, and GB went 3-1 to start last season.  It was only after the Giants and Jets beat them that the wheels came off (along with Rodgers' thumb).  So I don't think the 'new WRs' thing is really a thing.

Green Bay seem to act like we need to panic. We are use to heartache, we are tough. We don’t panic and give in easy. Play hard ball, F them. Let them panic when they beg us to take rodgers in sept 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Green Bay seem to act like we need to panic. We are use to heartache, we are tough. We don’t panic and give in easy. Play hard ball, F them. Let them panic when they beg us to take rodgers in sept 

We're so used to sucking in humiliating fashion we won't flinch: it's like a warm blanket to calm us into knowing us the earth is still spinning as it should; whereas they're potentially facing unfamiliar territory of being forced into paying $60MM to a QB they don't want, who doesn't want them, and can't simply be cut.

Advantage: Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Until the 4th quarter.  

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Damn Simms and Florio on ??? today, totally destroying the packers ??

The key is not that these guys destroy Green Bay in this video, rather they lay out the facts, which becomes daming in and of itself.

But what I now truly believe is that Green Bay is scared to death about the trade to the Jets and is scared badly.....

Green Bay and their peanut trust now are realizing that if Rogers goes to the Jets that the Jets could win it all and make Green Bay look like dolts, and that is why I said in another post and thread that Green Bay didn't know what they are doing, and their ongoing reluctance and leaking of the negotiations is proof of their fear and incompetence.

And folks are now catching on!

Here is the same argument go to 13:18

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Doesn’t look like all these Packer leaks about leverage and first round picks is working at all. The tone is shifting from the Packer talking heads and I bet Gutekunst will come back down to JD’s price sooner than we think

Football guy leaked on this site that if we get him for less than a 1 Douglas is a genius.  Tannebaum set the price with the Favre deal.  Second day pick.  

30 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Who Takes on the Davis cap hit may be what's holding this up...   MLF is fond of him and has a history with him.

Unlike Rodgers’ contract, Davis has no guaranteed money left. Jets would be foolish to take on a dime of his contract when they can simply cut him and save all of it. Green Bay can offer him a pay cut if he’s included in a trade, or bid for him on the open market if he’s not. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Breece had 700+ carries over 3 years in college with no injuries

JD took the sure thing and you gonna kill him for that? 

Others are right, you're being ridiculous and negative.

There's a saying tread on the tires. Breece hall was beat to sh*t by the time he got to the jets 

I'm not killing jd he's just closer to average than this genius people seem to think he is 

I'm ridiculous in March I'm a ******* prophet in November. 

calling me ridiculous in a thread where fans are honestly believing super bowl is what the kids call projection

This isn't negative it's level headed 

• More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

a 21 year old running back with 7 games of NFL experience is beat to sh*t? 

Seems level-headed. 

Dude just mentioned 700 carries at Iowa state like it was a bragging point 

The bottom line is the Jets used a 2nd Rd pick on an RB when most teams don't 

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's a saying tread on the tires. Breece hall was beat to sh*t by the time he got to the jets 

I'm not killing jd he's just closer to average than this genius people seem to think he is 

calling me ridiculous in a thread where fans are honestly believing super bowl is what the kids call projection

He suffered a non-contact injury in Denver.

Earlier in the game, he looked like he was literally flying on the TD run.

he didn't burn much tread shredding Big 12 defenses in college. He got unlucky in Denver. It happens.

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

He suffered a non-contact injury in Denver.

Earlier in the game, he looked like he was literally flying on the TD run.

he didn't burn much tread shredding Big 12 defenses in college. He got unlucky in Denver. It happens.

This is the problem with taking running backs high 

The average nfl career is 3.3 seasons 

Running backs last 2.57

Granted the average is a flawed stat but 2nd Rd is a high pick by nfl standards on a position with that much turnover 

Note I'm not saying breece hall is done he has alot of football left just like how saquon recovered. 

But it's an unconventional decision to take any back top 100. Many general managers just won't do it 

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Dude just mentioned 700 carries at Iowa state like it was a bragging point 

The bottom line is the Jets used a 2nd Rd pick on an RB when most teams don't 

Are you serious? Carries are carries. He proved he can handle the workload is the point without getting hurt. And yes, that IS a bragging point. Your argument is idiotic. I get RB have been devalued to a point but a stud guy in the 2nd is not outrageous. Ask Minnesota what they would do without dalvin (yeah we drafted a safety 1 spot ahead of him) or the impact Kamara had on NO.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm not gonna argue with you on Rodgers, that's your thing.

Saying Breece was an ACL waiting to happen because he had 700 carries in college is just silly.  He had 80 carries left in him after that, the ACL was just ready to go.  Is that what you're saying?

He had a fluke, bad luck injury.   A guy with no tread on the tires doesn't move and cut like Hall did, a guy with no tread on the tires looks like Zeke Elliot.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is the problem with taking running backs high 

The average nfl career is 3.3 seasons 

Running backs last 2.57

Granted the average is a flawed stat but 2nd Rd is a high pick by nfl standards on a position with that much turnover 

Note I'm not saying breece hall is done he has alot of football left just like how saquon recovered. 

But it's an unconventional decision to take any back top 100. Many general managers just won't do it 

When were Christian Mccaffrey, Josh Jacobs, Saquon Barkley and Derrick Henry drafted? You maybe get a mid level back in the later rounds but most stud backs are drafted early, whether you like the idea or not, of drafting an RB earlier than 100. 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I literally see no reason for the Jets to be the one to move. In fact they should offer less each week. People just are not seeing how much of a doomsday scenario GB faces. The Jets are the only ones idiotic to give up draft capital for this guy if the Jets move on GB is in a franchise destroying situation. I think you could make an argument we should get Rodgers AND draft compensation to save them

THIS!!